PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure and Pred

Captian Al
01-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Does anyone have any experience with BP issues when tapering off pred? Darren always had normal BP before he was on high doses of pred . He was prescribed metoprolol. He has tapered to 10 mg pred now. Lately, his BP has plummeted very low several times and he was very dizzy. So, we stopped the metoprolol and began monitoring/tracking his BP. Occasionally, giving him 1/4 dose of metoprolol when it crept a little high again. Observed it took it too low on occasion. He has kidney involvement so high BP is not good. This has been going on about a week or so.

We are going into the doctor to discuss. Any feedback??

Pete
01-04-2014, 01:26 AM
About a year after I was dxed, I had a flare/pneumonia. My BP was also very low (60/40) occasionally. At the time, I was on four BP meds; HCTZ, metoprolol, enalapril, and Flomax. My PCP began weaning me off them, and once I recovered from the flare, I hagan exercising. I'm off all BP meds except Flomax, which I continue to take for urinary symptoms (frequency and urgency). My BP is now within normal limits (generally averages 130/75). Fwiw, I'm 67 years old.

Captian Al
01-04-2014, 02:11 AM
Thanks Pete :) It's great that you could discontinue the BP meds. Hoping Darren's PCP just needs to tweak his meds too

~Laurie