PDA

View Full Version : Taking My Meds Every Other Day Instead?

TOBEY32
01-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Gonna ask my doc about that. Have no idea what he'll say. When you stop and think about it, the meds are so much in our systems maybe it IS doable.

Are your med dosages something other than every day?

David

Pete
01-03-2014, 08:19 AM
I think your doc's response will be along the lines of it depends upon what you're taking. I take bactrim on M-W-F only. I take my mtx on Wednesdays. Everything else, I take daily. Some folks on here are experimenting with pred every other day. Results on that seem to be a bit inconclusive (not doing it long enough or too small of a data sample).

But hey, life's an asking business. The worst that can happen is that he says to stay the course...

annekat
01-03-2014, 04:31 PM
I agree with Pete and am taking the same meds as he is on the same schedule. I assume he takes prednisone, too, and takes it every day like I do. When you taper down below 10-15mg. of pred, some docs may suggest an alternating schedule, like every other day, or one amount one day and a smaller amount the next, and then back to the larger amount the third day and so on. A lot of docs, including mine, seem to give us some leeway on how to manage the pred taper at this point. But I would talk to your doc about any such alternating or every other day schedule on the pred, and I would not mess with the scheduled dosages of any other drugs, if I were you, unless your doc says it's OK.

Pete
01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
I agree with Pete and am taking the same meds as he is on the same schedule. I assume he takes prednisone, too, and takes it every day like I do.

Yep. Still taking 20 mg pred each day. Going to 17.5 mg/day on Sunday.

vdub
01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Not likely for me. I'm currently on 23 drugs. Some have a half-life of just hours. I can assure you I am soooo tired of taking drugs.

Debbie C
01-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Wow,vdub that's alot of pills...do you actually NEED all of them ? I quess that's a bumb question,you wouldn't take them if you didn't need them, but it just seems drs. are so pill crazy anymore instead of finding out what the real problem is.

vdub
01-04-2014, 04:49 AM
I have two other diseases in addition to wegs. It's a big hassle. The pills are about 2/3 "keep alive" and 1/3 "feel good". Although the "feel good" portion doesn't seem to work to well.

But, to comment on David's original question.... I don't think I would split the dosage (unless doc says ok). The half-life of pred is measured in hours, so if you split it, you would be spiking every other day. I can't imagine that would be good.

Wow,vdub that's alot of pills...do you actually NEED all of them ? I quess that's a bumb question,you wouldn't take them if you didn't need them, but it just seems drs. are so pill crazy anymore instead of finding out what the real problem is.