PDA

View Full Version : When Two Weggies Meet...

DuaneHart
08-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi to everyone!
My wife (Mary Beth) and I met CoffeeLover (Lisa) and her husband, Dennis and their daughter today in Rochester. It was great to finally meet someone else who has WG and ask questions and just talk about our situations. We had a really nice visit and hopefully will be able to get together again. We talked about prednisone and the weight gain that goes with it and we thought of getting some t-shirts that say something like "Body By Prednisone" or something to that effect and use them as a fund raiser for Vasculitis Foundation. Any thoughts about this?

Sangye
08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow, Lisa is out to set a world record meeting Weggies.

I've seen funny pred t-shirts on butyoudontlooksick.com I think.

Doug
08-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Whoa! That Lisa! The t-shirt is a good idea! Do you know any place where they sell XXXXXL, my size?

Congratulations, too, on meeting the Coffeelovers. Very nice people! I'm not sure why it makes a difference to meet someone else with the disease, especially since every Weggie's story is so different, but I'm still buzzing from the experience.

Who's going to be next? Come on East Coasters! You aren't going to let those Brits beat you to be the next weggies to meet other weggies, are you? The Canadians are looking a bit cozy, too, looking like they might just sneak a peak at each other before you East Coasters even know what hit you. For that matter, Lisa's on a roll, and her normal speed ("near normal"?) seems to be full out as best I can tell from the brief encounter and what Dennis Coffeelover says. For that matter, what's happening in with those Aussies?

Sangye
08-24-2009, 06:26 AM
It's like "The Amazing Race." But slower. In Weggie time. ;)

Doug
08-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Body by Prednisone T-shirt from Zazzle.com (http://www.zazzle.com/body_by_prednisone_tshirt-235688583461709629)

Duane and Lisa- With a few minutes to spare, I created this "Body by Prednisone" t-shirt, which I see comes in XXXXXXL! It sells for $20.10 plus shipping and handling, 15% of which is the creator's profit, i.e. Vasculitis Foundation gets it. The profit magin usually is 10% on this t-shirt, but you can adjust it to whatever the market will bear. This has been set up in my account, however. If we went ahead with a t-shirt, we probably shouyld set up a separate account where the profits could go directly to Vasculitis Foundation. There probably are legal issues, too, using the name Prednisone (Who knows? This is America!), and Vasculitis Foundation might have to sign off on having its name on the back, even though all profits come to them.

As soon as you two let me know what you think, I'm going to delete this shirt design, take it off sale, until the icky details are settled. This was created just to show you it's easy, and I can help. I thought about taking a side view of me in the mirror for illustration purposes, but thought, "Haven't I suffered enough???" Ha!

Sangye
08-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Too funny, Doug. Should help us locate each other when we start gathering in larger groups. :D

Doug
08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Too funny, Doug. Should help us locate each other when we start gathering in larger groups. :D

Is that a "fat" joke? Listen, lady, this is a "body by Prednizone"! Ha!

If we ever managed to get everyone to show up at some central point, the t-shirts would be a great way to keep us organized. Hadn't thought about that. Sort of like a family reunion souvenir! Another t-shirt could say: "weggie" (other side "it has nothing to do with your [nickers/ pants/ DVD's]" (Since each nationality has its preference for what to call them, that would be a further signal to the family members where the stray came from.) Cool!:D:p:eek:

jola57
08-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I like the design, mark my words the skuls will make it a huge sucess.:cool:

Doug
08-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah! That's a neat font!:)

coffeelover
08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
WOW!

You guys are awesome! I need to do alot of catching up. How fun!Again...haven't been on for a while. Busy at work, and getting my kids ready for college and as Doug says, in my energizer bunny ways, still trying to exercise, and practice guitar and stay on top of laundry and housework....arghhh I am exhausted thinking about it!

Well first I want to say that I truely enjoyed my time with Duane and his wife. They are both fabulous people! We live so close that I do hope we can get together more often. Duane has a wonderful wife (and as my husband pointed out to me----- spouses of weggies are the best kind of people!)

We talked about the Prednisone body and other drug related complications. We talked about the similarities and differences with this disease and most of all we laughed and enjoyed each others company. Duane has a very strong and supportive wife who has a wonderful sense of storytelling and a great sense of humor. She will be in his corner through thick and thin and I know Duane knows how lucky he is to have her. I can't wait until our next meeting.

Now that I am close to remission these meetings (Doug and Duane) make me want to travel the countries and visit with everyone. Financially not a possibility (got medical bills believe it or not!) but would be so fun!

I strongly encourage as much of this "weggie meeting" as possible. My time with Doug is still fresh on my mind and I smile each time I think about it and this recent meeting with Duane was so great and hopefully a continual event.

Oh by the way. I love the T shirt! I'd say lets go with it! Doug I am willing to let you take the ball and run with it. I simply do not have the time right now. Duane, any thoughts?

I see my rhuemy next week and am hoping to taper down on the pred again.....so I will just use the t shirt as an excuse IF I happen to slim down some. (big IF!)

glad to be connected again. Gotta go read the rest of what I missed

photo of Duane and I forthcoming
Coffeelover-Lisa

DuaneHart
08-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Hey Doug, I think the shirt is great too! If you don't mind taking care of things that would be wonderful. I have not been feeling the best for the last few days--I think its the methatrexate and the pred--and just don't have the energy to do anything. I am making it to work and that is about it.
I think we should really try to plan some kind of get-together. Maybe we could come up with somewhere that is centrally located (like within a days drive) and meet for the weekend or something.

Doug
08-26-2009, 11:55 AM
wegener's cup design, support- research- answer... mug from Zazzle.com (http://www.zazzle.com/wegeners_cup_design_support_research_answer_mug-168504812938882072)

Well, Lisa Coffeelover, how about a Vasculitis Foundation money raising coffee mug?:)

Sangye
08-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I like the idea of a coffee mug, but I'm not so sure about the sad face. Maybe a funny comment instead of the disease name? My funny cells have gone to bed before me or you know I'd suggest something. :)

Doug
08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey Doug, I think the shirt is great too! If you don't mind taking care of things that would be wonderful. I have not been feeling the best for the last few days--I think its the methatrexate and the pred--and just don't have the energy to do anything. I am making it to work and that is about it.
I think we should really try to plan some kind of get-together. Maybe we could come up with somewhere that is centrally located (like within a days drive) and meet for the weekend or something.

At this point, I'm the retired one, I have a new car, I'm in remission and feel pretty good most of the time (when I don't over do it- don't tell Lisa and Dennis Coffeelover!), and I have GoogleEarth Pro on my computer to make neat travel maps. Halfway between Rochester and Saint Peter is about 90 miles, if I recall correctly. I'll do a GoogleEarth visit to see what's weird between your two towns, and maybe there's a plan in the works! A threefer would be fun! Or maybe we could get an official visit to Mayo Clinic!:) (p.s. Lisa's the one who collects weirdness along highways, perhaps Dennis, too!)

Doug
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I like the idea of a coffee mug, but I'm not so sure about the sad face. Maybe a funny comment instead of the disease name? My funny cells have gone to bed before me or you know I'd suggest something. :)

I see what you mean. Put your funny cap on and make a suggestion. These designs are easy to whip out! (Get well rested first, though!)

DuaneHart
08-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I chased down a tumbleweed in South Dakota and it is now in our home. Sometimes weirdness along highways is fun!

Sangye
08-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Doug, maybe something like "When you've got Wegener's, you get used to a new normal" with the word "normal" written all goofy. Maybe an upside down stick person or something alongside it. You get the gist--I'm sure you can do better than I can at it! You've got a real creative streak.

Doug
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah! I think that is something we can go with. (That's always the poison words: "we can"- just kidding Gods of Perversity!) I'll do some doodles and see what shows up. :p

Doug
08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I chased down a tumbleweed in South Dakota and it is now in our home. Sometimes weirdness along highways is fun!

My kind of guy! Heck, spray paint them silver and hang Christmas tree ornaments on them, if you are of that persuation! Go out in a pasture after a fatal season for cows, collect a skull and pelvis, any stray bones the coyotes and rodents haven't knawed and carried away, and you have wonderful yard ornaments that can serve as warning to neighbors, too! Ha!:p

coffeelover
08-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Duane,

After meeting you I know that you are telling the truth about chasing down a tumble weed! I find that fantastic. Doug is right...I like strange things along the highway of life.

Doug-What a great idea a COFFEE MUG! How about a moon face cartoon character? I like the "new normal" idea as well and really why not a tumble weed. After all, isn't that what we feel like most of the time?

One hour before coffee time! Can't wait! Whose joining me?

LIsa Coffeelover

Doug
08-29-2009, 04:43 PM
You must think I'm extremely clever or something! I'm thinking about your (all of your) suggestions. The stick figure is a good bet, however! Ha!:)

Doug
08-30-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.zazzle.com/weggieboy*

Here's a link to the new design for the Vasculitis Foundation mug. The Theme: I'm starting to see the signs ~ "NEW NORMAL"

jola57
08-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Doug, you have your first customer - I want that mug:p

Sangye
08-30-2009, 10:54 PM
That is hysterical, Doug. See-- I knew you were the guy to do it! :D

Doug
08-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure about Canada, Jolanta, but I know ZAZZLE has separate sales organizations in Europe, same products, different order places. I'd think Canadian orders would come out of the US. If that is the case, double click on the name of the item below the cup or t-shirt, which will bring up the page with prices that leads to the sign-out part where they take your pretty Canadian money and run! In the US, they have excellent turn-around and service on orders. I wouldn't think Canadian orders would be any different. Let us know how it goes. :)

(P.S. Thanks for the enthusiasm, ladies! VF isn't going to hire a new $200,000 per annum director on our purchases, but I hope we can put a bit of money in their pockets. I'll keep a tally as the royalty checks come in and I forward them the money. I'm looking into what it takes to have the money sent directly to VF. I'd think it possible.)

Doug
08-31-2009, 03:16 AM
Here's how you order in Canada (or Australia and UK):

bring up ZAZZLE by using the link I posted above
go to bottom of page and locate the appropriate flag icon, click on it
type weggieboy in the lefthand search box at top of page where is says something like "Over 19,000,000,000" items for sale or something on the order of that
type mug or t-shirt in the righthand search box and click on the search icon
this brings up the page with all such items I've designed so far- the ones where the profit goes to the Vasculitis Foundation are the "new normal" items,. the "wegener's granulomatosis" frowny face mug (be careful not to order the one where the !!!!- I can't delete it, but I may be able to salvage it before it accidentally gets into circulation!); and the "body by prednisone" t-shirt
if you feel creative, hit the "create" icon at the top, and, with a little practice you can create one-off t-shirts, mugs, postage stamps (in some countries- UK I know you can) with personal photos or designs you create (for example, in the US, I know, you could take an engagement photo and create a postage stamp to use on wedding invitations- about twice face value or more, but fun for special events like that; it's very simple- even fun!--and you don't have to buy anything you design, just post it and let it hang in the wind~!:)
Not to worry! Not only are the Canadian, British, and Australian prices denominated in the appropriate currencies, the product ships from your countries, and your taxmen add their cut to the total! Also, words like "color" are "spelt" "colour", so you will be lulled into easy acceptance of the site. You'll be Zazzled!

jola57
09-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks Doug, I will let you know how it goes.