PDA

View Full Version : Are you a no meat eater / Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw food eater ?

stephwest
01-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Are you a no meat eater / Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw food eater ?
I have been a veggie/vegan for many years and I am interested in how many of our flock are of the same leaning.
It is a fact that an alkali diet is better than an acid one, and meat and dairy is all acid food whereas most (not all) vegetables are the opposite.
All best for 2014
Stephen

Captian Al
01-01-2014, 03:11 PM
We are new to WG since this summer. I have taken some cues from this site and done some reading. We have made some changes that will hopefully compliment my hubs treatment. He has WG and I am the household shopper and "chef". We are following the principles of an anti-inflammatory diet. We eat A LOT more fruit and veggies. Trying to find organic when possible. We have reduced dairy significantly(by using almond milk, etc.) We rarely eat beef and have increased fish—mostly salmon.
It’s hard to say yet if it’s been effective for Darren's WG. But my own BP is lower and my chronically achy shoulder is much better :tongue1:

mishb
01-01-2014, 03:17 PM
I am a meat and vegie eater........more white meat than red.

A lot of vegetables and fruits cause inflammation for me, so I am a very basic eater.

My daughter was diagnosed with a condition called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.
From a very early age, she has tried many different eating choices - vegetarian, vegan, no red meat, only fish and veg, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free etc.
- and not one of these eating choices changed the way she felt, or changed her condition.

Therefore, this has lead me to the thoughts that it doesn't matter what you eat ie. I am a meat eater and you are a veggie/vegan - makes no difference really.......we still both have WG. Obviously it wasn't our food choice that found us with this condition :crying:

Wegetarian
01-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I've been a vegetarian since I was five. It was a moral choice though, and not based on health so its more in the way that I order my pizza with veggie toppings and not that I'd grow my own sprouts or something.

After the diagnosis and reading about inflammatory foods and reduced the amount of white flour that I eat. I used to eat pasta almost daily, but replaced spaghetti with something that looks similar and is made of rice (not as delicious though). I have also started eating Omega 3 capsules. My stomach feels less upset, like in the spring I had a lot more flatulence than I do now. Dunno if it has anything to do with the diet, or if its the meds or something.

I also bought a book on anti-inflammatory foods, but it doesn't seem to be too great.

Alysia
01-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi,
I have colon involvement, therefore I can't eat a lot of things. my GI doc told me NOT to eat meat. only chicken or fish. but I can't eat vegetebles and fruits as well, only apples and potatos.

JeanMarie
01-02-2014, 06:52 AM
I am vegan about 95% of the time. When I'm out I eat whatever is available. I made the change for ethical reasons so I figure every little bit helps. It's my choice & I don't bug other folks about their choices. I also cook for my Omni husband but he does eat my vegan food about 3x a week. I don't know if its made a difference health wise --that's the sort of thing you really can't prove. :smile1:

annekat
01-06-2014, 09:25 AM
After the diagnosis and reading about inflammatory foods and reduced the amount of white flour that I eat. I used to eat pasta almost daily, but replaced spaghetti with something that looks similar and is made of rice (not as delicious though). Dan, you could also try buckwheat noodles. I can't promise that they'd be as delicious as white flour pasta, but they might be better than rice noodles. And I have done the research in books and other literature on the subject, and buckwheat is not wheat and does not contain gluten, and is not considered to be an inflammatory food. I know the Japanese use these noodles in Soba dishes. I have seen them in the stores, but you need to check the label to make sure they are pure buckwheat and contain no wheat. I imagine you'd have to shop around for the best prices, too. The ones I saw in a mainstream store were expensive, for a small amount, and I didn't buy them. Maybe look for someplace that would have them in bulk.

gwenllian111
01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
I am a veggie. In fact 'weggie' always reminds me of a 'veggie' (burger). X

Psyborg
01-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I think I'm probably the odd ball. I border on carnivore I suppose. I'm a bit cursed in that I'm annoyingly picky. Most vegetables I don't like the flavor or consistency of. I wonder what dictates what it is that people like? Cause at this point I really wish I liked a bunch of other foods better as I know they are healthier for me. :)

mishb
01-08-2014, 08:10 PM
I think I'm probably the odd ball. I border on carnivore I suppose. I'm a bit cursed in that I'm annoyingly picky. Most vegetables I don't like the flavor or consistency of. I wonder what dictates what it is that people like? Cause at this point I really wish I liked a bunch of other foods better as I know they are healthier for me. :)

I'm with you Bob :wink1:

Pete
01-09-2014, 02:08 AM
I'm a bit of an omnivore. I joke that I'm on the seafood diet. If I see food, I eat it.:tongue1: Having said that, my old dietary habits are dying hard. I still love bread, potatoes, and have an incorrigible sweet tooth. I am eating more fresh fruit (at least two bananas a day plus the occasional apple, pear, plum or peach - in season) and a few more fresh vegetables. However, neither of us is in love with cooking. We do recognize that processed foods are not particularly good for us. And like Bob, neither of us is in love with a lot of the available veggies.

My wife and I are seeing a dietitian at our PCP's office at the end of the month. My PCP has recommended that I follow the DASH, healthy heart, and weight loss diets. What I want to do is get to a diet that helps me reach my health, waistline reduction, and weight loss goals; fills me up; and tastes good. I wish I had taken home economics in high school. I would have at least learned how to cook, grocery shop, and stock a pantry.:confused1:

annekat
01-09-2014, 04:31 AM
I tend to be on the more meat and less veggies side, myself. But can restrict myself to fish and other seafood, chicken or turkey, eggs, and dairy products. Once in awhile some beef or pork can be really good, but I do feel bad about the animals and have, perhaps arbitrarily, drawn my line at mammals, because they seem more like us than other animals. It may be silly. Not to say I ever eat them, just a tendency I've adopted.

As for veggies, yes, the effort to eat more is ever present. When I was on high dose pred and ravenous, I could prepare veggie dishes and inhale them, along with some carbs and protein. I remember inhaling some tofu then, too. Now, I have certain veggies I gravitate toward, like bok choy and spinach, and I buy a prepared, washed mix from a farmer that contains spinach, cabbage, and kale, which I use both cooked and raw in dishes, and the fact that I paid good money for it makes me want to eat it all. I also like to have onions around, and gravitate towards the white sweet ones these days, though also use red onions and the small green ones. A little smoked salmon thrown in with a veggie dish is excellent. I can get all this stuff at our farmers market.

Barbara N
01-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Are you a no meat eater / Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw food eater ?
I have been a veggie/vegan for many years and I am interested in how many of our flock are of the same leaning.
It is a fact that an alkali diet is better than an acid one, and meat and dairy is all acid food whereas most (not all) vegetables are the opposite.
All best for 2014
Stephen

I have been a vegetarian all of my life starting at age five but I'm not a vegan. I grew up on a farm and hand raised, cows, sheep, pigs and just about everything else and the idea of eating them repulsed me.

vdub
01-10-2014, 07:54 PM
I grew up on a farm. I was well aware of where our next meal came from and had a real appreciation for the cycle of life even at a young age. My diet is red meat and potatos. I will have that diet until I die. My Dad, now 96, has had that diet his entire life. He's about 6'2", 180 lbs. I will be heavier due to steroids, but I'm ok with that.

MCC
01-13-2014, 06:01 PM
I've been vegetarian for 22 years and vegan for 6. I do it for the sake of animals, not for health, BUT I do also feel it's much better for you (in fact the evidence is there- check out Forks over Knives Forks Over Knives - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/ForksOverKnives) or Food Matters FOODMATTERSŪ | Natural Health & Nutrition | FOODMATTERSŪ (http://www.foodmatters.tv/) or the work of PCRM: PCRM: Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (http://www.pcrm.org/)).

(of course I still got wegeners but the vast majority will be meat eaters).

Since I got ill I try to follow a more raw foods diet for optimal nutrition. I'm doing roughly the 'raw til 4' programme where you eat raw during the day and a cooked dinner. here if anyone is interested: How to eat raw food till dinner, the RAW TILL 4 program | The Banana Girl (http://thebananagirl.com/videos/how-to-eat-raw-food-till-dinner-the-raw-till-4-program)