PDA

View Full Version : Any virtual workout buddies out there?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pete
01-01-2014, 04:09 AM
I'm looking for some fellow weggies who will help hold each other accountable for getting physically fit (or maintaining a current level of fitness).

This is not about whose workout is the toughest. It's about friends helping friends to get more physically fit and see if we can minimize the ravages of our dumb disease on our bodies.

Personally, what I want to accomplish is to lose 15 pred pounds, take 2" off my waistline, and strengthen my abs and upper body muscles. I'm committed to walking 40-60 minutes 4-5 times a week. On the days when I only walk for 40 minutes, I'll also hit the weight machines. I'll do at least 20 ab crunches every day.

Yesterday, I walked for 45 minutes, did 20 crunches, did 15 reps on the shoulder press at 25lbs and 20 reps on the chest press at 25 lbs. Today, I walked for 50 minutes and did 24 crunches. I'm tired right now, but will recover in time to play with the grandkids after while.

If anybody wants to join me, just post your activities to this thread. We're all in this together. Let's get fit and have some fun with it!

Alysia
01-01-2014, 05:16 AM
where is saava ?

pberggren1
01-01-2014, 08:59 AM
I don't think Saava will be back.

Alysia
01-01-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't think Saava will be back.

what's happened to saava ? I couldnt find him on the friends list. strange. :confused1:

pberggren1
01-01-2014, 09:51 PM
He must have left the Forum then.

Alysia
01-02-2014, 05:14 AM
strange. why did Saava go without saying anything ?
Saava, if you read this, come and tell us, what happened ?

Pete,sorry, back to your questions....

:back on topic:

your plan, Pete, looks just great and inspiring:thumbup:
I exercise daily, not less then 30 min, wallking outside or "aerobic" at home.
but I think the boys around should join you....

Pete
01-02-2014, 06:12 AM
but I think the boys around should join you....

I'm an equal opportunity exercise guy. Ladies and gentlemen, feel free to join in sharing your progress. :cool1:

Debbie C
01-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Pete that does sound like a great idea. I want to lose about 10 lbs. And I would love the inches around my waist to move up to my bust ! I haven't done anything today except get out of bed, I have such a terrible headache,I wished I would have drank last night to make it worth it. But I definately am going to start working out. I think I'll start a little chart to mark my progress. Good luck on your goals.

Now we need a little work-out smiley,Andrew

JeanMarie
01-02-2014, 07:00 AM
I soo need this!! OK I'm off to get my sneakers & do some aerobics right now!!!! Happy New Year!!

drz
01-02-2014, 07:01 AM
I'm looking for some fellow weggies who will help hold each other accountable for getting physically fit (or maintaining a current level of fitness).

This is not about whose workout is the toughest. It's about friends helping friends to get more physically fit and see if we can minimize the ravages of our dumb disease on our bodies.

Personally, what I want to accomplish is to lose 15 pred pounds, take 2" off my waistline, and strengthen my abs and upper body muscles. I'm committed to walking 40-60 minutes 4-5 times a week. On the days when I only walk for 40 minutes, I'll also hit the weight machines. I'll do at least 20 ab crunches every day.

Yesterday, I walked for 45 minutes, did 20 crunches, did 15 reps on the shoulder press at 25lbs and 20 reps on the chest press at 25 lbs. Today, I walked for 50 minutes and did 24 crunches. I'm tired right now, but will recover in time to play with the grandkids after while.

If anybody wants to join me, just post your activities to this thread. We're all in this together. Let's get fit and have some fun with it!

Wow! I am tired from just reading about it. Some signs of progress should appear soon from your efforts.

NikkiNicole
01-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I would love this. I will only be doing lil walks at first since I still can't seem to feel right. But, I will post right along with everyone. I need to lose a LOT more than all y'all but that's not really my focus right now. I have to keep telling myself not to stress on that ... but exercise just for the sake of that is great!

JeanMarie
01-02-2014, 09:30 AM
OK -- I did it ! 50 min of aerobics. Yeah!!!!!

Pete
01-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Light day today. The Y is closed, and it's too cold for me to walk outside. Did two sets of 12 crunches. Back at it tomorrow and Friday!

Debra - I understand about redistributing weight. From the side, I look like I'm pregnant.

Drz - hope you can make a small start soon. You gave me this idea.

Nikki - I started walking a couple of hundred feet. Keep on going! Hope you get to feeling better and stronger soon.

Jean Marie - way to go!

mishb
01-02-2014, 10:22 AM
OK -- I did it ! 50 min of aerobics. Yeah!!!!!

Way to go JeanMarie :thumbup:

Well this morning, like every other working morning - I drive 15 minutes to the train station, then I take the stairs to the platform instead of the lift - 25 of these
Then I sit on a train and read a book or look at facebook on my phone, for an hour, and then more stairs - 30 this time, when I get off the train at the other end.
A 12 minute walk from the station to my office, is followed by sitting at my desk and dying for the next 10 minutes :sad:
The walk is fine but I seriously hate stairs, they hurt my knees and they puff my out
This is my workout 5 days a week - Crunches, sorry Pete you can have them :razz:

annekat
01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I won't be officially working out, as at a gym or an aerobics class, but doing various yardwork chores such as gathering and cutting or chopping firewood, or anything like raking or clearing brush, is a good workout. I have some extra steep stairs in my house and go up and down them several times a day... that is pretty good, too. Getting out and walking on the road is the one thing that would be so easy, but that I have trouble getting to. And climbing the hill behind my house would be the best workout of all.... that, I will post, if I get around to doing it.

andrew
01-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Now we need a little work-out smiley,Andrew

Good thinking! I'll take a look around :)

Alysia
01-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Good thinking! I'll take a look around :)

there are some nice ones...
WORK-OUT one:
http://www.thewildpantree.net/images/smiley-exercise.jpg

in that case, please, andrew, can you add more smiley's ?

WOW one...
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG3Jp0av7rMlsN3PeY1l_GePdTnt2Uc Qmq46eTYvnw-oYPacWnbA

WHEW one

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShE_J3zrUPnyHmsqj-kwCp5fOgx1UBXPWXyEAnx3DDk174IWbijgyydO85

PLEASE one

http://cdn.pearltrees.com/s/pic/la/shrek-cat-38379460

maybe better ones....

annekat
01-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Where do you get all this stuff, Alysia?:laugh:

Alysia
01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Where do you get all this stuff, Alysia?:laugh:

google. images. do you want any ?

annekat
01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
google. images. do you want any ? Oh, I've looked at Google images but hadn't thought about inserting them anywhere.... I guess I'll have to try it!

Pete
01-03-2014, 05:37 AM
Not many New Year's resolution folks at the Y this morning. Probably due to the 3+" of snow we've had this morning along with terrible road conditions.

Walked 45 minutes, 2 sets of 12 crunches, 2 sets of 10 x 25 lb shoulder presses.

Feelin' the burn a little.

MikeG-2012
01-03-2014, 12:42 PM
With my lung function the way it is right now, my workout for today was a 1/16 of a mile walk from the parking lot to my building/office, two trips pushing my 200# tool cart to another building on campus, crouching about 20 times to get tools from my cart, bending a LOT to drill holes and install a latch on an equipment rack, and pushing the cart back to my office. One flight of stairs is enough to wind me right now.

So, all things considered, I think just doing my job is about all I can handle at the present time. I really can't wait to start feeling better and getting my WIND back. I miss being as active as I was pre-flare.

MikeG-2012

pberggren1
01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Hey!!!! Who gave you permission to have a lung infection Mike? :mad1:

Pete
01-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Hey Mike,

When you're feeling bad, any exercise should be a plus. Hope you feel much better soon!

annekat
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Mike, it sounds like you are doing pretty well under the circumstances. The bit of exercise you are getting is all the workout you need right now. Feeling a lot less winded will come along, it did for me and it will for you, too.

MikeG-2012
01-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Hey!!!! Who gave you permission to have a lung infection Mike? :mad1:

Not an infection, just diminished because of the nodules from this recent flare-up.

So, no permission needed!

Pete
01-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Walked for 35 min. Did 2 sets of 12 crunches. Did 2 sets of 10x20 lbs chest and shoulder presses. Probably will take tomorrow off from going to the Y.

ballma02
01-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Pete - Bicycle. I do 3000 to 4000 miles during the warmer weather. Central Wisconsin has the most perfect bike roads.

pberggren1
01-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Not an infection, just diminished because of the nodules from this recent flare-up.

So, no permission needed!

Whew!!!!! What a relief.....:thumbsup:

MikeG-2012
01-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Whew!!!!! What a relief.....:thumbsup:

Not quite yet, but I am hoping for a relief one of these days Phil! :rolleyes1: Can't come soon enough for me. I have a chest X-ray a week from Monday. We'll see how I'm doing then!

rebekah
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I love the idea of a workout buddy for motivation! Once I get this flare under control I'm joining you and will share my workouts. Right now I can barely go up a flight of stairs and I'm exhausted just reading about your workouts. But with classes starting this week, I'll at least be getting some exercise in walking around campus.

annekat
01-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Rebekah, I'm sorry you feel that way, but am glad you will be starting classes again. Medical school, I presume. With any luck, you will discover what really causes Wegs and find a way to cure it! If not, you will at least be added to the ranks of excellent Wegs doctors and help find better treatments for it.

Pete
01-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Hi Rebekah,

Looking forward to reading about your progress. Be careful walking around campus this week. It's supposed to be below zero Monday -Wednesday. Won't be good for damaged lungs. Stay warm and be well!

MikeG-2012
01-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Does the cold really bother the rest of you?

Believe it or not, the cold really hasn't bothered me that much. Everyone tells me to be careful in the cold, which I do, but it seems to not bother me that much. Today, I spent about three hours outside between the tractor and the snowblower, and I'm tired now. We had three inches of snow lately, and it blew the past two days and drifted everything around my house shut. To top that all off, the snow was crusted over and hard as a brick on the outside. That's why the tractor and the snowblower. Time to get the feet up, snuggle the wife and dog, and take it easy the rest of the evening!

MikeG

rebekah
01-05-2014, 01:52 PM
I haven't started med school yet. I'm just taking 2 classes at OSU this semester and will reapply this fall. Everyone's been telling me recently I need a plan B, so I thought of pharmacy because I love chemistry, but I'm thinking about research and then I could maybe really find a cure for this stupid disease. And I wouldn't have to deal with lots of sick patients with my weakened immune system.

Thanks, hope you stay warm too, Pete (and everyone else up north). I thought the cold, -2 degrees, I had to endure yesterday going to my Rituxan infusion was cold; but this week is going to be even colder and we're getting more snow. I have class at 9am Tuesday, I might skip that one. I'm starting to miss my Florida weather.

rebekah
01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
This is my first real winter (I just moved from Florida), so I don't know how much the cold weather bothers me health wise. I'm just trying to get used to it. I'm glad it doesn't bother you too much, Mike. But boy, a tractor and snowblower? You certainly deserve a nice, relaxing evening after all that work!

annekat
01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Well, Rebekah, whatever classes you are taking are good, I'm sure... And that subzero cold has got to be somewhat unusual; sounds awful, though. I've never been to Florida; our equivalent on the West Coast is San Diego, and I've never been there either. But it is a little hard to imagine anyone wanting to leave the best weather in the country. However, I'll bet you'll still get some "fun" snow, the kind that comes with more moderate temperatures.

Pete
01-05-2014, 05:11 PM

annekat
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Ah, yes, how did we get on weather? Back to working out!

rebekah
01-06-2014, 10:40 AM
I have this uncomfortable pain/soreness in my left arm... I don't know if I slept on it weird or what, but I did 10 squats today, so now my body hurts equally all over. This was my first baby workout in a looong time.

annekat
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
I will report that I split a bunch of rounds of firewood this afternoon. This is quite a good workout for a little old Weggie woman like me! Now I'm contemplating cleaning the gutters on my little house, which aren't very long and there are only two... We will see how it goes. I do need a ladder but it is not high up. I will be careful.

ballma02
01-07-2014, 02:04 AM
Article - Single mum reveals how pedal power is helping her fight life-threading blood disorder. Dated: Jan 4 2014 www.vasculitiesfoundation.org

annekat
01-07-2014, 04:47 AM
Article - Single mum reveals how pedal power is helping her fight life-threading blood disorder. Dated: Jan 4 2014 vasculities foundation.org
for some reason that isn't showing up as a live link for me. It looks like one in my email notification but doesn't go anywhere.

ballma02
01-07-2014, 06:02 AM
for some reason that isn't showing up as a live link for me. It looks like one in my email notification but doesn't go anywhere.

http://vasculitisfoundation.org

or Vasculitis Foundation (http://m.vasculitisfoundation.org) ( mobile devices)

search for Vasculitis Foundation

annekat
01-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Oh, thanks, I had the VF link saved but just didn't realize the article was on their main page. Cycling sounds like a very good way to build the physical stamina back up! Inspiring story. BTW, the live link for mobile devices worked on my non-mobile device.

NikkiNicole
01-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Today, I went for a mile walk with my lil Corgi. It took about 25 mins to go 1.04 miles but ... I was not walking to burn calories. I was just walking to get fresh air and move my body a little. It was a wonderfully brisk overcast day and I hope that means there is rain in the future.
Our work complex has a 1-mile loop that I will be doing on my dayshifts too.
I will walk everyday.

Pete
01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Way to go Nikk! It's not about how fast or far, but that you do something. Just be careful that you don't overdo and make things worse.

i'm housebound due to cold weather. Right now it's -7•F here with a wind chill of about -25. Hope to get back out sometime Wednesday when it's supposed to "warm up" to maybe +20•.

MichelleH
01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi Pete
I have had several attempts over the last 2 years to loose those extra kilos that have sneaked up on you. The best I have been able to achieve is 1-2 pilates/yoga classes a week and 2-3 walks with my dogs for 20-30 minutes a week. Alas I seem to fail when I try to add more and the kilos are not budging. I have been on holidays for a week and have been to the gym twice, now back at work this week I hope to add the extra gym visits to try to get those kilos to budge. I figure if I have to report to you each week what I have done I will be less likely to slacken off.
Thanks for the motivation- I just have to get to the magic 6 weeks of exercise mark when I should have formed a habit and the body changes should occur
cheers
MichelleH

Pete
01-08-2014, 01:38 AM
We've got to start somewhere. Glad to have you as a workout buddy, Michelle. You're right about making the conscious effort to get exercise regularly. I'm planning to go to the Y again tomorrow when it warms up a bit. It's -6•F here right now, and the wind chill is about -30 (not good for damaged lungs and sinuses).

Hope you reach your goal! Keep us posted.

marta
01-08-2014, 05:38 AM
OK, I'm in.

Brian just signed me up for the Fondo in Penticton (a giant group ride) and he's doing his fourth year at the 160km and I'm signed up for the 55km. I know I can do that distance, I just don't want to do in the same time span he does his ride in. He's bringing our bikes in to my sister's garage (she lives next door to me) and we will ride. I'm also doing some cross country skiing, not anywhere near as much as I did pre Wegs, but getting out there. Also been going skiing (downhill) but that doesn't do a lot for the cardio but it sure does a ton for the spirit. Well there was some cardio last weekend when it snowed 40cm overnight and I skied the crud after all the fresh snow was poached.... crud is a workout.

I just have to share something with you regarding the weight and inches loss. I went gluten free in November (not only because I think it's directly related to our disease but also because I wanted to pull it from Hana's diet, which incidentally changed her behavior for the better exponentially,) and not only did I start feeling better, but I went from 167 lbs to 149 lbs in about two-three weeks. I changed nothing else, didn't go down in pred during that time, just tossed all my bread, crackers, pasta and baked goods. I also got rid of the sugar in my house and bought Xyla instead (which is a natural sweetener). I have been eating meat, veggies and fruit since. I also couldn't eliminate dairy because I looooove cheese. Within a couple of weeks I could get into the clothes that had been put in bins in the garage since the early pred days, and best of all, I got to put on my wedding ring back on my finger... That was truly a magical moment. All thanks to a small tweak in my diet (and I didn't really think I ate very much gluten based foods, but apparently it makes a difference.)

I'll post my attempts at fitness. We just finished our crazy bathroom reno, and I will have a little more time now (BTW, I love my new bathroom... steam room, heated toilet seat, heated floor, and so so much more.)

pberggren1
01-08-2014, 08:25 AM
WOOT WOOT!!!!!! :w00t: That is awesome to hear about your gluten free diet Marta. A friend of mine said he went gluten free a few years back for a few months and didn't notice any changes, but I suspect it was not 100%. I have never tried 100% to go gluten free but now I feel I really want to after reading not only did you lose a lot of weight but that Hana's behavior has improved. I'm glad you are feeling better. How does Brian feel? So is gluten found in anything else besides bread, crackers, pasta and baked goods? Did you notice a change in mucus from your nose or lungs?

Please share some pics of your bathroom. I love your house

NikkiNicole
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I did 1.24 miles today. I went a little longer.
Day two of no sugar, Day 32 of no soda!

Debbie C
01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Nikki, you are really doing good,especially with the soda. Are you starting to feel better ?

Marta that is great all the things you are doing,I can't go outside right now the cold will freeze my lungs,but I would love to come over and curl up on the floor in your bathoom.I just tried to take a shower and there is no water coming out,There is water every where else in the house except the shower !!!
And the going gluten free is great,I'm so happy you lost all that weight and can now wear your ring again. I am going to start reading labels more because just about everything contains gluten. I use honey in my tea instead of sugar ..does that contain gluten ?? I just want to lose about 10 more lbs now and it is the tuffest thing to do.
I HATE WINTER !!!!!!!!!:crying:

NikkiNicole
01-08-2014, 02:41 PM
No, not feeling better yet. This is my last night shift for the week. I'll be home at night every night the rest of the week. YAY! I misspoke, it's day 33 no soda. I only drink water or tea and unsweetened tea because I have to cut out the sugar for a month. I'm really trying to help with the addiction so I can't even due honey or agave right now.
Gluten is in practically everything. Not in honey though. It's natural.

ballma02
01-09-2014, 03:32 AM
​Habit

Pete's excellent thread "workout buddies" got me thinking on habits and living more outside my mind than in it. The temperature is -15 this morning but should warm to a windless 10F. I'm going to walk for two hours today and be on my bike by the weekend. Let the healing begin.

William James on Habit | Brain Pickings (http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/09/25/william-james-on-habit/)

William James on habit - SEBASTIAN MARSHALL (http://sebastianmarshall.com/39175)

"There is no more miserable human being than one in whom nothing is habitual but indecision, and for whom the lighting of every cigar, the drinking of every cup, the time of rising and going to bed every day, and the beginning of every bit of work are subjects of express volitional deliberation."

ballma02
01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Walked the snowmobile trail for 2 hours 45min. Temp 7F falling to 0F. Not bad, really. Doctor put me back on 60mg prednisone. Was weaning down, but the eye turned angry again. Minor adjustment.

Pete
01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Came out of hibernation just long enough to go to the Y today. Walked for 35 minutes, did two sets of 10 reps with 20 pounds on shoulder press, and two sets of 12 crunches. Also tried planking for 30 seconds and found it's not as easy as it looks. Get to chase my grandson around tomorrow.

NikkiNicole
01-10-2014, 03:06 AM
I spent yesterday being lazy. I did laundry and change the sheets and made dinner but ... I was a couch potato for the rest of the day. Today I work til 11am and then I am going to take my lil dog on a walk!

annekat
01-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Yesterday started my seasonal work at a lily bulb farm. Indoor work, not out in fields. Involved moving around a lot of fairly heavy crates of lily bulbs, and stacking them. Good workout and good weight bearing exercise for my bones! Today will be a little easier going with just packaging product for retail sale.

NikkiNicole
01-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Yesterday, I got home from work, leashed up the dog and went for 1.42 miles. Today I'll walk on my break because our office sits in a complex that has a 1-mile loop. It's something!

Pete
01-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Hey Nikki,

Keep it up!! You're doing fine.

Pete
01-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Went to Y this morning. Walked for 35 min, did both machines, and two sets of crunches. Starting to feel a little stronger. Have lost 3 pounds since 12/27/13.

Dirty Don
01-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Yesterday, I got home from work, leashed up the dog and went for 1.42 miles. Today I'll walk on my break because our office sits in a complex that has a 1-mile loop. It's something!
Much better than sitting in an office break room! Good on you!

NikkiNicole
01-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Today is Day 5 of no processed sugars, and day 36 of no soda. I'm having a serious craving for something sweet. I have a banana with me but I'm trying to keep my overall sugars down. I'm hungry too and have already eaten most of my food I brought with me. I'll have dinner when I get home at 7 but I'm wavering ....
AHHHHH!

NikkiNicole
01-11-2014, 11:58 AM
1.4 miles walked in 25 minutes on my break. Tomorrow I have a longer break so I can probably go for further. It was a beautiful day out there but ... that makes me upset as well. We are facing a major drought! I know, I shouldn't complain with the massive Polar Vortex that's smacking my lil homeland but ... honestly ... we are going to wither and dry out!!!!
We'll take some of those clouds over here in California!!!!!!

pberggren1
01-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Move to Canada, we have lots of water. And some very good Wegs docs too.

annekat
01-11-2014, 12:36 PM
We've got plenty clouds in Washington right now, and it's raining, of course. I hope some of it will gravitate south into N. California. I'm glad you are taking advantage of the good walking weather, though.

Pete
01-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Quite the weather turnaround here. Last Monday, it was -1•F here with a -20 F windchill. Today, it's +50•F and raining.

I was a slacker over the weekend. But today, I walked for 35 minutes, did 19 reps of 20 lbs on shoulder press, and 3 sets of 12 crunches. The chest press machine was not available.

Dirty Don
01-14-2014, 09:05 AM
The chest press machine was not available.

Soooo, do pushups! LMAO!! Keep it up Pete!

NikkiNicole
01-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I did 1.8 miles on my break on Saturday, and took my dog for a 1.3 mile walk yesterday (even though I felt awful).
Last night my knee started to hurt the way my shoulder did when my joint went all swollen on me. I wonder if that's Weg's related or if I did something while walking. I never felt anything and I didn't walk too fast or felt like I did too much.
Today I work a super long shift. I may hop on the treadmill on my break just to keep moving. (My break today is at 9PM, I can't exactly walk outside near our jail at 9PM)

Debbie C
01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
You all are doing really good. I walked around the mall on Saturday and bought a really cute dress....does that count...the walking I mean ???

pberggren1
01-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Of course that counts silly girl.......we want pics of you in that dress now.

NikkiNicole
01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
According to my doctor, any movement is exercise. She said even if I went outside and just walked for 5 minutes, it counts!!!

Debbie C
01-14-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm really proud of you Nikki:thumbsup: Keeping off sugar and soda can't be easy for you. And you are really walking quit a bit. I wish the weather was nice here so I can get outside. Have you lost any lbs. ? I hope you are starting to feel better.
Phil, the pics are gonna have to wait a bit...I still have 10lbs. to lose:sad:

NikkiNicole
01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Amazingly, I haven't lost anything which makes me crazy. I only drink water or unsweetened tea, only naturally occurring sugars, and watching my gluten intake (gluten is my next cut out after I've been off bad sugar for a month). I watch what I eat too, staying under 2000 calories a day, under 150 carbs, and under 50g of sugar.
I don't know. I am trying not to stress about the number since I need to just feel better first.

Pete
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Nikki,

Perhaps you're building a bit of muscle which is denser than fat. You have your priorities in order. If you feel better, the numbers will take care of themselves.

Good luck and better health!! Keep making the effort. It will pay off.

marta
01-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Keep it up Nikki, it'll all come at you at once, you're body is just fighting back right now.

Time for me to report: We've had some snow around here, so I did a couple of days of shoveling our walk and around the house, went downhill skiing yesterday and the day before, and cross country skiing today (getting pulled behind Storm, our dog, and just flying along,) although I do as much work as if I'd be skiing without him, just getting way way farther in the same amount of time.

I've decided to avoid the scale for a few days. Too much pressure.

Over and out for tonight.

pberggren1
01-14-2014, 05:44 PM
I think scales are over rated, but this is coming from a person that has only been to 185 roughly. Right now I am about 155. I am 5'10". I would love to be more active but my lungs don't allow it so I try to watch more closely what I eat. I know women have a much harder time then men usually with the pred weight but I do know some men that have a rough time with it as well, mostly due to not being able to get out and exercise. I go out for a walk every day but it is not very far, maybe a block or 2 then I am done. Hopefully this summer is a bit better again and I can for evening walks. I miss those.

Pete
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Just walked for 35 minutes today. After yesterday's workout, I put all of the Christmas decorations away. That was a lot of trips up and down stairs as well as lifting and placing in a tight space.

Pete
01-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Got to the Y today during a lull in their business. Walked for 35 minutes, did 20 shoulder presses at 20 lbs. Did 20 chest presses at 25 lbs (and will increase to 30 reps next time). Finished up with 36 crunches. It is getting a little easier (except shoulder presses) each day.

MikeG-2012
01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
OK, I officially over did it yesterday. Seven trips to one building (farthest from my office), three to another to fix projector problems, up and down a ladder 8 times to fix said problem, and a lot of running around campus. I blew it! This morning, my knees and legs felt like I rode a bike for 8 hours non-stop. I literally had to hold myself up on furniture this morning for support. I guess I now know that the caffeine that I consumed throughout the day was a false sense of invincibility! I wound up calling in half dead today. <sigh>

So, a lesson learned. SLOW, go slow and STOP before it gets to be too much!

MikeG-2012

pberggren1
01-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Yes Mike, sometimes we have to learn the hard way, but when we are feeling good it is hard to stop. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for you. Hopefully your days will be at least half decent.

MikeG-2012
01-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Yes Mike, sometimes we have to learn the hard way, but when we are feeling good it is hard to stop. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for you. Hopefully your days will be at least half decent.

I don't think that it is a trend. I really did not feel any of this coming on yesterday. I felt like a million bucks while doing all of that. I even worked 8.5 hours, my longest day yet. But, was reminded by HR that I am only released for 8 hours, not 8.5. Oops! I guess it is nice to fully know what my limits really are right now. Had a bit of decent news Monday at Dr appointments, I posted an update here (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/3475-s-definitely-flare-up.html) yesterday.

mishb
01-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Got to the Y today during a lull in their business. Walked for 35 minutes, did 20 shoulder presses at 20 lbs. Did 20 chest presses at 25 lbs (and will increase to 30 reps next time). Finished up with 36 crunches. It is getting a little easier (except shoulder presses) each day.

Pete, you are a champion.

I think we will be seeing, "Pete, the Weggie Bodybuilder" in the near future. :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work

Pete
01-17-2014, 01:13 AM
I think we will be seeing, "Pete, the Weggie Bodybuilder" in the near future. :thumbsup:

(Lmbo). Not a chance, Michelle!! I'll settle for not looking pregnant in profile. :)

Pete
01-17-2014, 05:34 AM
Just walked for 40 minutes at the Y today. Feels like I strained a muscle in my left side, so took a day off from crunches and resistance machines. Hoping the ache is gone tomorrow.

NikkiNicole
01-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Yesterday I fully intended on walking again. I got a little walk in on Wednesday but my knees and lower back were killing me so it was very slow going. Today I'm at work so I am going to get out and walk on my break. I have to get out of my head about trying to go fast and long distances in shorter amounts of time and just move my body. I have to get the weight loss idea out of my head and just move to feel better.
Still haven't lost anything.
I blame the slice of cheesecake on my birthday. Back on the natural sugar only wagon, still a month and a half of no soda.
Just keep moving forward.

Pete
01-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Nikki, the last line in your post above says it all - just keep moving. You've started to exercise. That's half the battle. Just do what you can without strain. I had a hot fudge sundae for dessert last night.

Today's workout was 35 minutes of walking (about 2 miles), 20 chest presses at 30 lbs, 20 shoulder presses at 20 lbs, and 36 crunches. Just waiting for my wife to finish her fitness class so we can go home and rest. We also had the grandkids from 6:30-noon this morning.

Debbie C
01-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Pete , the grandkids will give you a workout in itself ! Well yesterday I was 1/2 hr on the treadmill, worked about 20 min on the pilates machine and then did about 15 min. of yoga. The 20 min hot shower was the best !!! I was just on the treadmill for about 15min. today,nothing else yet

NikkiNicole
01-19-2014, 10:50 AM
I got out on my break today 1.4 miles again. I was moving slow. My lower back has been bothering me. It was nice to get some fresh air and I know the sunlight is good for me.

Debbie C
01-19-2014, 01:26 PM
I can't wait for the sun to start shing here...thinking about a trip to Fl. soon

Dirty Don
01-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Pete...shot 72 yesterday! I'm baaaaaaack! Well, kind of, but it means my focus is coming back...yea!

mishb
01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
It's been way toooo hot to get out and walk, or do anything, in Melbourne this past week.
Actually in most States and Territories of Australia, it has been way too hot.

Lots of salads and lots of water always help though

Pete
01-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Great round, Don!! I need 35 strokes just to get close to that score. Yeah, I'm that bad. Can't wait for spring so I can try again.

marta
01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Pete...shot 72 yesterday! I'm baaaaaaack! Well, kind of, but it means my focus is coming back...yea!

I so loved reading this Don. That gave me goosebumps.

And 72? That's unreal for most mere mortals. Right ON! I love it.

marta
01-20-2014, 12:08 PM
I went skiing today for a half a day, supposedly to ski with Hana while she's in Nancy Grene (a kids ski racing program) but I deeked out to grab a bite to eat - drugs on an empty stomach and all - and lost them for the rest of the day. It wasn't intentional but it gave me a few good leg burner runs to myself, listening to my music and enjoying the the sun and endless mountain peaks in the horizon. That's good for the body and the soul, so I think it should count as a double workout. I also went cross-country skiing last couple of days but not for very long at all. I didn't have the assistance of my trusty pooch so I only managed about a half an hour to 45 minutes each day. But it felt nice putting my cross country skis on and getting out in the fresh air of the forest.

I felt so good yesterday that I forgot to take my meds.:ohmy::biggrin1:

Debbie C
01-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Marta,you are really getting a work out,but you ALWAYS seem to keep busy. I wished I liked the cold and snow. I never went skiing before...never could get my boat up the mountain:biggrin1:
Keep up the good work, it does sound like a wonderful and peaceful way to spend the day but try to remember the pills:rolleyes1:

RudiK
01-21-2014, 07:43 AM
I can't wait for the sun to start shing here...thinking about a trip to Fl. soon
Debra, I was in FL and the Caribbean last week and it was cool down there. In fact it was warmer in El Paso (my home town) than there.

windchime
01-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Debra, I was in FL and the Caribbean last week and it was cool down there. In fact it was warmer in El Paso (my home town) than there.

Yes we're having a little cold snap, but nothing like up north. Although it's warmer out west than here from what the news says. Just sayin'.

NikkiNicole
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Two miles yesterday, two miles today. I took my dog to a nearby park and we walked the adjacent trail and around the park along the water and through the trees. It truly is beautiful but we are officially in a "drought" and there are talks of water rationing, and ... I'm on a well, which I am praying is deep enough to not dry up.
This is ridiculous. I need RAIN!

Pete
01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Keep it up, Nikki!! Hope you guys get some rain soon. We're going back into the deep freeze tomorrow.

I walked for 40 minutes today and did two dozen crunches. The Y was crowded because of the people who had the day off.

annekat
01-22-2014, 02:38 AM
I've lived through a dry well in the PNW because mine is very shallow and hand dug. But that's unusual. I haven't read any analysis of this drought you are having, but it just seems to me it has to start raining some time! I hope so, and soon! I pray you will not have to go without water at your house.

Pete
01-22-2014, 03:41 AM
Back into the deep freeze here in Ohio. Current wind chill is -1 F. Still air temp is +16 F. The wind is brutal, and the roads are a mess. Guess I won't be going to the Y today. :(

annekat
01-22-2014, 03:44 AM
Ick, Pete. I guess I should feel lucky that it's in the 30's F. here at the moment with chilling fog.

Dirty Don
01-22-2014, 05:06 AM
It's 10am, 65, lite breeze, blue and white skies, SUN, warm sun...and I'm not going to the Y either! Huh?

Debbie C
01-22-2014, 05:14 AM
Thanks Don:predrage: I in the same boat as Pete and I have to go out in this s*** today

Pete
01-22-2014, 06:53 AM
It's 10am, 65, lite breeze, blue and white skies, SUN, warm sun...and I'm not going to the Y either! Huh?

I wouldn't go to the Y either if I were you. What's your tee time???

NikkiNicole
01-22-2014, 11:10 AM
75 degrees, clear blue skies, no wind, ... I should be happy. I didn't walk today, I had to get groceries, put them away, wash the dishes, empty the leftovers from the fridge, prep dinner, cook dinner, pack lunch, get dinner out, package it up to bring to work, put some on a plate and cover it for hubby, clean the dinner making dishes and then ... I was out of time and it was time to come to work.
I feel rather awful today. LIke, I keep stopping to let the nausea wave pass me by, I got a sharp pain in the right side of my abdomen today while grocery shopping ...
I will walk tomorrow.

Debbie C
01-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Don't over do it Nikki.

marta
01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Went for a ONE hour cross country ski (uphill all the way out) yesterday with Brian and Storm (doggie assist.) Despite the doggie assist, it was still a honking workout and I was a bit of a space girl for the rest of the day.
Only can get stronger I guess...

pberggren1
01-22-2014, 04:05 PM
I used to love cross country skiing at the farm. Maybe some day again.

MichelleH
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM

I have managed to add the extra gym work out, to the dog walks and pilates class. This week has been a bit lazy - temperatures here are 36C so not very enticing to get more hot and sweaty. A cooler change on the weekend so temperatures should drop to 30C. I am determined to get to the gym on the weekend or at least to the pool or beach if it continues to remain hot. I haven't dropped any weight yet but at least I haven't put any on after Christmas.
I'll let you know how the next 2 weeks go.
Keep on working
MichelleH

Pete
01-23-2014, 09:19 AM
First, the good news: My 36" waist jeans are too big. The bad news is that the size 34s are still way too tight.

Walked for 40 minutes at Y today plus 20 shoulder presses of 20 lbs and 20 chest presses of 30 lbs. finished with 36 crunches.

The even better news is that I'm feeling stronger and more energetic.

Debbie C
01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
I can not get myself motivated in this cold weather.I shot a few games of pool today and that was about it. I HATE WINTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad:

Pete
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
I HATE WINTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad:

Me too!! But if the roads aren't too bad, I just have to get out if only to cure cabin fever.

MikeG-2012
01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
College closed today due to DANGEROUS temperatures (-10) and up to -35 wind chills. So, I'm stuck at home today with my new recumbent stationary bike I bought Tuesday and assembled last night!

I am SO looking forward to this bike. Before this flare up started back in July/August, I was going to the YMCA on campus at least three days a week and riding the bike there. Once the flare up started, I just couldn't handle the extra work of the workout and gave up the Y membership. Now, the Y is inaccessible to me as the workout area is down 28 steps. Going down isn't an issue, but coming back up is nearly impossible if I want to work for the next 1/2 hour afterwards. There is an old wheelchair lift available, but it takes about 8 minutes to navigate the stairs and three landings, and announces to the WORLD that you are using it. I tried once and got so many "what is he using that for" looks, that I gave it up.

I used to do a lot of bicycle riding until we moved to the country, where our house sits on top of a 1/2 mile long brutal hill, and is surrounded by hills for the next three miles! Leaving home was awesome, down hill for 1/2 mile. I never did manage to be able to make it up the hill peddling, and I did try for years. I am still today in awe of the hardcore road racers who do my road on a regular basis. Kinda the double black diamond road (using a skiing term) that I live on. I finally gave up peddling and went with the 1200cc motorized kind of 'bike'. It is much more fun now to twist a throttle and crank up the tunes on my Lazy-Boy recliner on wheels than it was to peddle! (-8

So, time to give the peddling a try again today! Wish me luck!

Mike

marta
01-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Half an hour cross country ski today - no doggie assist.

Mike, I have to share a recumbent stationary bike story with you. A very good friend of mine, many years ago, took me out to teach me how to snowboard. We were going back and forth on the bunny slope and I was getting the hang of it. The thing with snowboarding is that the 'sweet spot' on the edge is so huge compared to skis that if you catch your edge the wrong way it takes you down faster than anything you've ever seen. It's like the hand of God comes down and swats you like a fly so fast and violent that there is no time to react really, even if you've boarded for a long time. You just have to ensure you don't catch an edge. So my buddy Dave was waiting for me to get it together and got up and turned to go downslope and caught his edge. He went down like a ton of bricks and broke his collar bone. He spent the next month or so in his house, on his recumbent bike, watching Jackie Chan movies. To this day when I mention Jackie Chan, he thinks of the recumbent bike days in his living room. He's a fit dude, so he hadn't lost anything like we Weggies tend to, but he sure kept himself in tip top shape just from that one activity alone.

So go out and get some Jackie Chan movies and give'er. You'll be climbing the double black in no time. Mark my words.

Pete
01-25-2014, 01:31 AM
I got to the Y yesterday and got in a full workout. Walked for 45 minutes (about 2.5 miles), did 36 crunches, 20 shoulder presses and 20 chest presses. Feeling stronger and glad to have a decrease in waistline. Weight is holding steady at 186.

MikeG-2012
01-25-2014, 03:58 AM
So go out and get some Jackie Chan movies and give'er. You'll be climbing the double black in no time. Mark my words.

I think I have about three or four of those already--almost all of them with Owen Wilson. (Wait, did I just admit that to THOUSANDS of people? YIKES!)

Do I have to make the nifty sound effects too? (-8

NikkiNicole
01-25-2014, 05:03 AM
I was off the last two days so I didn't sit down at a computer (when you spend 10+ hours a day on one, you don't really want to when you're off work!).
I walked 2.2 miles on Wednesday and 2.2 miles on Thursday. I did a 20 second plank on Wednesday but forgot to do my plank on Thursday. I need to find my kettle bells in our guest house since I put them there when we moved. I'd like to start adding a few moves in with those everyday.
Baby steps!
Good work everyone!

marta
01-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Do I have to make the nifty sound effects too? (-8

I find if you make those nifty sound effects it helps with most things in life - renos, exercise, driving, child rearing.... you name it, if you give it a 'kung fu sound effect' it makes it easier.
Hey we should apply it to taking our meds and getting better. I'm gonna try that right now when I take my meds.

(I am trying to get a little ninja emoticon in here, but this is one thing I have a really hard time with on here - images... oh well, use your imagination.)

annekat
01-25-2014, 05:27 AM
You're doing great, Nikki! I haven't walked two miles since having Wegs. I probably could, though. Just need to do it.

NikkiNicole
01-25-2014, 05:31 AM
I signed up for a 5k in May. I may just walk it but, I signed up for it. It's one of the Color Runs. If you don't know what they are, every 1k they throw colored cornstarch at you. By the end of the run you are a multicolored mess! I did it down in San Francisco in July 2012. I can't wait to do it again. It's a group of Sonoma County Dispatchers that are all doing it so it should be fun!! I'll find someone to wallk with me. I don't think I'll be running a 5k by May but we never know!
I also am doing a 10k walk (6 miles) in May. It's the Human Race, it's free, and we are all just walking. I am looking forward to it.

Alysia
01-25-2014, 05:49 AM
(I am trying to get a little ninja emoticon in here, but this is one thing I have a really hard time with on here - images... oh well, use your imagination.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fPXnWtwMu5c/UVtgy9X_ZpI/AAAAAAAAAhg/JB1iOD6kQHQ/s1600/ninja-emoticon-for-facebook-chat.jpg

NikkiNicole
01-25-2014, 11:59 AM
1.5 miles out in the sunshine on my break. My lower back was killing me. Which is weird because it hasn't hurt in the last couple walks. I thought maybe I was working past it. :sad:

Pete
01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi Nikki,

Backs can be funny. They go out of whack for no good reason sometimes. Hope yours gets better quickly.

If my wife and I had walked outside today, we'd have gotten frostbite. Windchill was about -15 F most of the day here. So we walked about two miles inside at the Y, and I added three dozen crunches.

pberggren1
01-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Nikki, how often do you see your chiropractor?

NikkiNicole
01-26-2014, 01:02 AM
I actually haven't seen the chiropractor in almost 2 years. I think my lower back hurts from my unfortunate prednisone stomach. It's like I'm pregnant. It's not all the time ... but it happens and it's annoying and then I can't walk right.
Or ... I could just go see the chiro and see what he says.

Dirty Don
01-26-2014, 05:10 AM
I know you all love the chiros in your lives, but the only correct and rehabilitating method is to use a physical therapist. They KNOW the body in conjunction with what you're going thru at the time...chiros don't have the skills nor the techniques to correct actual debilitating problems in the body (ie, NOT MDs, not skilled surgeons, NOT legally permitted...and so on). But, gotta give them their due, they do make us 'feel' better. Sighs...reaches for coffee...hmmm, may need therapy for that too...what!!!!

NikkiNicole
01-26-2014, 08:16 AM
2.2 miles on my break today out in the sun. I feel lousy so I feel like I could have actually gone further if I had any umph to give!!

pberggren1
01-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Don, I could not walk back in 2010. My dad had to carry me to the car then carry me to the table. Guess what? I walked out of there. So yes, Chiros can definitely help with debilitating illnesses and correct chronic problems. I go at least every 4 weeks for a treatment. I would not want to live without a chiro. Going to a chiro is like taking your car in for a tune up and oil change. Would you go 50,000 miles without changing your oil and plugs in your car?

Pete
01-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Nikki,

Listen to your body. You're probably overdoing it a bit.

Dirty Don
01-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Neither could I in 2011, Phil. Rehab people got me out and about, another came to my home and had me do 'medically' trained exercises...I'm better, and continue getting better with the exercises. I just prefer a medically trained person working on my body. I've used a chiro a few times and did come out feeling better, but it was nothing permanent or even lasting.

pberggren1
01-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Guess what? A chiro is a medically trained person as well, they are doctors.

Dirty Don
01-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Actually, they are clinical and applied science majors who complete tons of hours of medically related study as applied to the bone and muscular structures. They are more engineers than medical experts. There are NO medical requirements of them, nor do many take medical hours. If you find such, you've found a very talented and smart person who understands the importance of mixing methodologies and applying them effectively...

pberggren1
01-26-2014, 12:53 PM
And that is why I go to a chiropractor.

Pete
01-26-2014, 04:30 PM

pberggren1
01-26-2014, 04:34 PM
What is the topic?

Pete
01-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Hi Phil,

This is the thread where people post about their exercise efforts and results.

Dirty Don
01-27-2014, 04:48 AM
Hey! Phil and I were working out our brains...??????????????????????? It was a short workout! LMAO!

Pete
01-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Hey! Phil and I were working out our brains...??????????????????????? It was a short workout! LMAO!

That's pretty cute, Don!! Lol

annekat
01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
OK, back on topic..... Today I did something I'd been talking about for years, I climbed the wild, jungle-like hill behind my house. As a kid, I called this hill Gorilla Hill because of the way it looked to me. There are giant ferns on the way up, which I have to grab onto. At the top, it levels off gradually, but goes back another 200 feet or so of very wild terrain, with lots of undergrowth and tangled shrubs and whatnot. It is hard to make one's way, and involves using my joints and muscles in ways they are not used to. It felt like a great workout, and made me feel rejuvenated. Some day I'll take some pictures of Gorilla Hill and post them. (If SOMEONE would create an actual trail or path up there, it would be a lot easier to go up there more often!)

NikkiNicole
01-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Since I don't know exactly what's wrong with me .... I spent today doing the awesome sport of ....................

couch surfing.

I watched "Sleepy Hollow" (the 1999 movie with johnny depp, I love that movie), "This is the End", "Wreck It Ralph", "Mean Girls" and "The Princess Bride"

and then an hour long Vitamix thing on the shopping channel QVC because hubby bought me a Vitamix yesterday for our upcoming anniversary and I wanted to see people do cool things with it!

Debbie C
01-28-2014, 04:12 AM
Well I have been eating more fish and sweet potatoes. Oatmeal and fruit in a.m. I have drinking smoothies and have lost 2 lbs. !!!! I ask my pulmy doc if I could go back to Pulmanary rehab. simply because they have alot of nice machines ( treadmills, statioary bikes and weights ) so I should know today if my ins will cover it, they should since he referred me back there. The " Y " here is in the bad part of the "hood" so I don't want to go there. But I have several workout programs recorded on the t.v. that I'm going to start doing.And I have to get back into yoga...I just gotta get away from this damn computer and do it.

Lilly
01-28-2014, 04:39 AM
Nikki, I have a lot to lose too, like 25 lbs! Its so difficult to get a "system" of walking an working out. I feel just BLA, and my age doesnt help! :(

NikkiNicole
01-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Oh how I wanted to do something today! But, I'm here on a long day and had to come in to speak with the bosses. I may try to get on the treadmill down in the gym on my break. (the benefit of working for a law enforcement dept ... an on site gym!)

marta
01-29-2014, 05:42 AM
Cross country skiing with Brian yesterday.
Another 'Mommy Monday' gone. I love my Mommy Mondays, they're great. Get to sleep in, have some quality time in the great outdoors with hubby, and enjoy after school with the fam.
What's good for the soul is good for the body.

NikkiNicole
01-29-2014, 11:25 AM
I got together with a friend of mine today, we walked for 3.3 miles. It looks like it's gonna rain outside. I'm crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete
01-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, I have been pretty much housebound since Friday. Between 5" of snow over the weekend and subzero temps the last couple of days, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Will head for the Y tomorrow afternoon and get busy again!

Pete
01-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Finally got out of the house today. Temp on the back porch is a robust 20 F -- tolerable.

Got to the Y today and did the usual routine. Feeling a little extra tired now, but that may be due to taking half of my weekly mtx this morning. Other than that, all is well.

BrianR
01-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately, I have been pretty much housebound since Friday. Between 5" of snow over the weekend and subzero temps the last couple of days, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Will head for the Y tomorrow afternoon and get busy again!

This is a great thread you started Pete. We all know the value of regular exercise but it is hard to get motivated, no matter who you are. Having a buddy to train with in person or virtually is a great help. Most important is that you do something regularly. Don't binge exercise...focus on frequency (this creates the habit) and then up the intensity and duration over time and you will have greater success. I really do not want to sound like a know it all because I am not but...the effect that regular exercise has on mental well being is well documented and highly under rated. As my running/riding buddy says..."when the going gets tough, the tough hit the trail". Exercise is more than good for your body, it filters the brain and makes one more peaceful and happier; simple as that.

Good on all of you for doing this!

Brian - husband of Marta the Magnificent

goosey
01-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Hi Pete, So glad you posted this. My husband complains to all my doctors because he thinks I'm walking too much, & guess what they all say !!! It's so good for you keep it going.
My body is so weird, when I was on high doses of pred I lost weight & now that I'm tapering off & on 2mgs I'm putting on weight. So I'm walking my butt off to loose weight .
My doctors are going to start taking me off all my meds because my anca has been right down for 6mths now. I must admit I'm a little scared about this because i was doing so well on them.

NikkiNicole
02-01-2014, 05:37 AM
I walked 3.5 miles on Wednesday, 3.2 miles on Thursday and now I'm at work so I'll only be able to MAYBE get two miles in on my break. I need to walk everyday. My weight still won't budge. grrrrrrr

Pete
02-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Walked for 35 minutes today. Did the usual with the machines and crunches. Bought a pair of size 34 jeans today, and they fit!!! Lost some inches, but the weight and "physique" remain the same... Sigh

goosey
02-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Found a great walk last week,went right down a big hill & found 132 steps (I counted them while puffing & panting) that took me up to the top of the hill.

Had to stop a couple of times because my heart rate was very fast but felt great afterwards. Think I'll add that into my walk from now on.

Think I'm walking about 4km a day now and I must say I feel great in body & mind. Am feeling well now so might as well make the most of it, never know what's around the corner with WG.

NikkiNicole
02-01-2014, 04:00 PM
I didn't walk today. I was/am feeling mildly fluish ... mildly. More like possibly getting a cold ... it feels worse than usual. Ugh. No walk.
Tomorrow, I will walk!

NikkiNicole
02-03-2014, 07:29 AM
I walked yesterday on my break at work. 2.2 miles. I did like 10 squats while standing at my desk.
Today, it is pouring out (YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY) and I will head downstairs to the treadmill. I will walk in rain ... but, this is like sideways rain at times. No thanks. I don't want to work the rest of my shift all wet!

annekat
02-03-2014, 07:40 AM
I'm so glad to hear about the rain! :thumbsup:

Debbie C
02-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Glad you are getting that rain you guys so needed there ,Nikki
Pete,Congrats on getting to a size 34, that is awesome,you are doing really good.
I got a call that my ins doesn't cover the rehab place I was going to use...they want $ 40.00 a month and I can use it Tues. and Thurs. at certain times. I don't know if I'm going to use it or just force myself to get into a workout program a home.
But I'm really happy for all of you that are sticking to this and seeing some results ,even if it is just feeling better :thumbsup:

NikkiNicole
02-03-2014, 10:05 AM
It was only sprinkling when my break started so I headed outside to try and get a quick walk in before the heavy rain returned. Well ... it was FREEEEEEEZING!!!!! I made it to the outer part of the parking lot and my hands were numb. Numb numb numb. I came back in and headed towards the department gym. Unfortunately, there were a bunch of people in there (really?!) so I did laps up and down the halls in our building. Thankfully, it's Sunday so all the admin folks and detectives aren't hanging out in the office. I can imagine I'd get quite a look for how many times I passed by the investigations unit!!!
I only got a mile in. I could have gone for more but I'd walked in circles enough.

annekat
02-04-2014, 04:52 AM
Wow, maybe it'll snow in Santa Rosa, Nikki! If it's that cold with precipitation. It snowed in Davis once or twice in the 22 years I lived there.

We are entering a cold spell here, too, for us.... in the low 20's F. at night.

NikkiNicole
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Sunny, blue skies with big fluffy clouds, perfect temperature .... I walked 3.4 miles. I may even hit the treadmill on my break. I am so tired of not seeing the scale MOVE! I eat so healthy, I walk every day (except once in awhile I don't walk) and ..... nothing.

Dirty Don
02-04-2014, 09:10 AM
I would assume part of that weight retention are the drugs. Was for me, took forever to get it off. Keep at it!

NikkiNicole
02-04-2014, 09:13 AM
I would feel SO much better if the number would just move. At the very least to get rid of the extra Prednisone weight. Then, I can just look at trying to lose the other weight that I had to lose. Argh

Pete
02-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi Nikki,

I feel your pain. Still holding at the same weight for almost a month and disappointed about it. Probably not getting to the Y much this week. Wife is overnighting at her Mom's tonight with our only operating car. (Convertible is in storage.) We're under a winter storm warning starting tomorrow afternoon. Local weather guy says we could get 8" tomorrow night and Wednesday. Have I mentioned that I hate winter???

annekat
02-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I have lost weight. Not in a bad way; I've been eating OK and getting a fair amount of exercise. Especially from my firewood gathering projects. But the weight stays in that one place, around the middle. It's got to be pred weight and maybe "wheat belly", though I've reduced my wheat intake somewhat. I've got my pred down to 7mg./day and heading for 5mg. I seem to be having less problem than I did around 8-10mg.

We are expecting temps in the teens at night later this week. That kind of cold, while not quite what you've had, Pete, could cause me more stress and cause trouble with the pred taper. Based on past experience. Did I mention I hate winter, too?

BrianR
02-07-2014, 01:53 AM
Losing weight does take some time. Longer for some than others. Your internal thermostat needs to be reset and, once your body figures out that this is the new routine (more exercise consistently along with fewer "bad" calories) it will make the adjustment. This is why many people re-gain weight after dieting, their body has not made a permanent change. Once regular exercise becomes part of your lifestyle you will see the change but again, it can take time. Remember, the biggest benefit to regular exercise is improved health and energy; weight loss will come eventually. I have found that when my activity level increases (spring and summer) I will not lose any weight for a few months and then all of a sudden I start to drop weight once my my body figures out..."hey...this is for real"!

On another note, its -35C here in Jasper today.

Stay active and all sorts of good things will happen but be patient and don't give up!

Brian

BrianR
02-07-2014, 01:55 AM
Current Conditions
-34°C

°C
°F (http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?ab-70&unit=i)

Observed at: Jasper Warden StationDate: 6:00 AM MST Thursday 6 February 2014
Condition:Not observedPressure:103.8 kPa Tendency:falling Temperature:-33.9°C Dewpoint:-37.0°C Humidity:74%Wind: S 7 km/h Wind Chill (http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=5FBF816A-1):

As I was saying...its cold here!

Alysia
02-07-2014, 02:02 AM
Current Conditions

-34°C

°C

Condition:Not observedPressure:103.8 kPa Tendency:falling Temperature:-33.9°C Dewpoint:-37.0°C Humidity:74%Wind: S 7 km/h Wind Chill (http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=5FBF816A-1):

As I was saying...its cold here!

more cold then my freezer :frown:

I am sending to you and to my other freezing friends some sun and warmness from Israel. eventough it is considered to be winter, most of the time it is sunny here. (after that the gov will claim that we don't have enough water and raise the prices of water, but this is another story).
stay warm. keep on exercising.

annekat
02-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Current Conditions

-34°C

°C

As I was saying...its cold here! I would like to point out that we are well aware that it is much colder in Canada than most places in the US. The reason we are as low as -10C. in Olympia, WA is that cold air from Canada is colliding with warmer air coming in from the Pacific Ocean. Under no circumstances are we going to feel warm or comfortable at -10C just because it is -34C somewhere else! I do appreciate, though, your sharing the weather conditions up there, as it does put things into perspective, even though it doesn't make me feel any less cold.

NikkiNicole
02-07-2014, 07:42 AM
It's raining in Northern California!!!! It rained most of the day yesterday and is still lightly raining today. This will in NO way bring us out of drought fears thus far. Our major river that floods every ten years is drier than it's been in decades. I guess no flood fears this year.
I didn't walk yesterday as I was trying to get some house stuff done. I went through the mail, got our tax forms ready (the W2s anyway, I have to dig up some more stuff), grocery shopped, washed dishes, made dinner. I stayed moving but didn't do an official walk.
I might get my umbrella and take the dog for a walk when I get out of work. We'll see how hard it's raining.

annekat
02-07-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm glad to hear it is raining. I hope it will be a continuing pattern, so that you might eventually get "out of the woods" regarding the effects of a lasting drought. I know you will get out walking again, either way.

Pete
02-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Finally came out of hibernation today. Got to the Y and walked for 35 minutes and did the usual chest presses, shoulder presses, and crunches. Lost two pounds this past week. Feeling good!

Debbie C
02-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Well I went to the pulmy rehab today and started off doing stretches,then up and down on a step for a few minutes,spent 1/2 hr on the treadmill,did 1/2 hr on a stationary bike and 20 min on a strider.After that I had to go to the Dollar Store for a few things,then to 1 grocery store and had to pick up a couple of things at another grocery store. I feel like a wet noodle !!!!! But it did feel good to get moving again...can't wait to go back Tuesday.

drz
02-09-2014, 05:12 PM
I would like to point out that we are well aware that it is much colder in Canada than most places in the US. The reason we are as low as -10C. in Olympia, WA is that cold air from Canada is colliding with warmer air coming in from the Pacific Ocean. Under no circumstances are we going to feel warm or comfortable at -10C just because it is -34C somewhere else! I do appreciate, though, your sharing the weather conditions up there, as it does put things into perspective, even though it doesn't make me feel any less cold.

Our forecast for tonight is minus 32 F or minus 36 C but then we will have heat wave we hope with temps above zero F for several days next week for a change. I guess we are used to it and think plus five degrees F with sun shining is a nice warm day so we use our light weight coats unbuttoned when we go out. Many of the young often go out in hooded sweat shirts. But our temps are mild compared with many places where minus 35 F would be a warm day.

annekat
02-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Our forecast for tonight is minus 32 F or minus 36 C but then we will have heat wave we hope with temps above zero F for several days next week for a change. I guess we are used to it and think plus five degrees F with sun shining is a nice warm day so we use our light weight coats unbuttoned when we go out. Many of the young often go out in hooded sweat shirts. But our temps are mild compared with many places where minus 35 F would be a warm day. I had to sit outside all day in what feels cold to me. It is not good for my Wegs symptoms. It makes me cough up a storm. It is fine for people to go around in hooded sweatshirts if they have someplace warm to go and aren't earning a living by sitting in the cold all day. Now it is snowing, which means it is warming up.

annekat
02-09-2014, 06:53 PM

Let's get off weather and back to workouts.

MikeG-2012
02-10-2014, 02:40 AM
OK Anne, I'll get us on topic with both...

I spent my day yesterday walking behind the snowblower two times for an hour each time. Two hours of walking and turning that monster around was all the workout I needed yesterday. I'm paying for all that today--legs are sore and overall, pretty slow and fatigued this morning.

So, there you have it, excercise and the weather and all on topic!

annekat
02-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Well, it's Sunday, Mike, and you can relax. I hope you are staying warm. All that exercise with the snowblower may do you some good in the long run.

Pete
02-10-2014, 04:48 AM
I've been a slug this weekend. We had our kids and grandkids over for dinner last night, so my physical activity yesterday was Hoovering the carpets downstairs (some 1200 sq feet of them). Today, we're getting more snow:thumbdn: so the roads between here and the Y are still pretty slippery. Hope to get back into the routine tomorrow...

Good news is I've lost 5 lbs since Christmas. About 10 more to go.

Oh, the nutritionist cancelled on me. Don't know if I'll reschedule as my wife is NOT excited about me going on a special diet. Perhaps now that my pred dosage is going to fall below 10 mg/day, my appetite will decrease and I'll be able to lose weight primarily through managing portion size and sugar intake. (I've already pretty much given up beer and wine :sad:!!)

annekat
02-10-2014, 05:05 AM
I think Hoovering 1200 sq. ft. of carpet would be a pretty good workout.

OK to talk about weather if in the same post with talk about exercise. We got some snow here. It makes my hazelnut tree look very pretty. I'm charging my camera batteries so I can take a pic if it doesn't melt first. It is not enough snow to get any exercise from, though, and should be gone by tomorrow.

I will continue to get exercise from scrounging firewood. Our forum buddy Kirk, or me2, dropped off a big bundle of pine kindling and some other burnable wood, which was very sweet of him.

mishb
02-10-2014, 09:03 PM
That's awesome Kirk. What a wonderful thing to do. :thumbsup: :hug3:

Well weather and exercise talk it is.
It is so so hot here in Australia. We have had so many days of 40c (104f) and over in Melbourne, Adelaide and other parts of Australia, that it's getting to the point of ridiculous........now we have fires :crying:

With it being so hot, there is just no way you can get out and exercise - a little like when it is so cold and snowing.
Our Aust and NZ WG facebook group are also being workout and weight loss buddies for each other.
In three weeks I have lost 2 kilo (4 1/2 pound). I am trying to walk a little faster. I do at least 150 stairs each day and I have stopped eating biscuits with my cups of tea. Other than that, I haven't really changed the foods I eat. Hopefully it cools down soon and we can get out more.

Keep up the good work everyone :thumbsup:

annekat
02-10-2014, 10:32 PM
I know how hard it is to exercise in 104F. because I lived someplace where it occasionally got that hot for a few days, and in general was just plain hot all summer. Well, there's always swimming! Bicycling wasn't bad either, if you weren't going for speed. I hope it cools down soon!

Pete
02-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Just got back from the Y and grocery store. Had a strong workout. Walked for 35 minutes, did two sets of 12 reps on the machines (up from 10 reps), and 36 crunches. I was a good boy at the grocery store. Walked by the baked goods and only drooled a little. ;)

NikkiNicole
02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Oh Boy did the rain come!!!! Not clear from the drought by any means but small stream flood advisories, standing water, trees falling, people crashing their vehicles left and right. It was a gnarly lil storm. We got about 8 inches of rain in a few days. It's sunny now but the clouds are out on the peripheral of the sky and promising more rain for Wednesday.

I found a small gym/training place run by two ladies, one of which is a fellow cancer survivor. We went for our first class this morning and annihilated our legs. I was planning on walking afterwards but, I was toast. I promised my dog we would walk tomorrow. I'll be hitting these classes on Monday Wednesday and Friday and walking in between or on the same day if I can.

It seems like a lot but I am over the moon at how I felt afterwards. I have missed that feeling so much. It's like a drug ... except not illegal or bad for you. :tongue1:

BrianR
02-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Oh Boy did the rain come!!!! Not clear from the drought by any means but small stream flood advisories, standing water, trees falling, people crashing their vehicles left and right. It was a gnarly lil storm. We got about 8 inches of rain in a few days. It's sunny now but the clouds are out on the peripheral of the sky and promising more rain for Wednesday.

I found a small gym/training place run by two ladies, one of which is a fellow cancer survivor. We went for our first class this morning and annihilated our legs. I was planning on walking afterwards but, I was toast. I promised my dog we would walk tomorrow. I'll be hitting these classes on Monday Wednesday and Friday and walking in between or on the same day if I can.

It seems like a lot but I am over the moon at how I felt afterwards. I have missed that feeling so much. It's like a drug ... except not illegal or bad for you. :tongue1:

Awwwwwesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

annekat
02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
That is encouraging, Nikki. Even if you are not clearly out of the drought, that is a lot of rain in a few days, with more to come. Yay! And congrats on continuing the workouts and dog walks.

Debbie C
02-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I am able to go back to the rehab to workout tomorrow but I think I did too much on Thurs. My ankles feel like they want to give out on me when I walk around the house now. I have do go get my bloodwork done in the a.m. so I'll see afterwards. I don't want to mess my ankles up for walking on the beach in 4 weeks( but whose counting !!!!)

AC2
02-11-2014, 01:56 PM
I wish I could be typing here about the recent exercise I've done, but I can't. I currently have sciatica & am in pain just getting out of bed & walking around the house to do stuff.

I've been signed off work since Mid Dec. I've been going out for small journeys (medical apps, bus to visit my mum in hospital, walk to the shop, etc) about 3 to 4 times a week, & about 90% of the time I've been in pain after a couple of minutes.

I can't wait until I'm able to fully exercise again. I love playing football (including 5-a-side), going to the gym & cycling. I was just starting to 'run' (well, jog) when my back pain started last year.

I completed (jog & walk intervals) a 10km in May & have recently got the email telling me about the same event this year. I really want to take part, but not sure if I'll be able to. I was planning on being able to run the whole thing this year.

I work in retail & when I'm at work I'm on my feet & walking around all day. When I'm not in pain, I love my job & being active.

Pete
02-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Hi AC2,

I hope that your treatment regimen produces quick and long-lasting results.

Pete
02-12-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm a little frustrated today. Gained about 2lbs this week. Combination of hibernating and not eating right. More discipline at the table...

Went to the Y today and walked for 45 minutes. Back again tomorrow...

NikkiNicole
02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
I feel like I am going to hurl, I feel like I am sitting in my washing machine on the spin cycle. Am I getting sick? Why is this happening?

I am sore, but that is to be expected from working out yesterday. I did manage a 2 mile walk. I wanted to get out to the flood control channel and walk like we usually do so I could see how high it was. It was rushing like crazy! I wouldn't want to fall in there. Anyway, we walked ... much shorter and slower than usual because I was afraid I was going to have to find a bush to throw up into ... or that I would pass out on the trail.

I am glad I at least did something ...

Dirty Don
02-12-2014, 11:26 AM
When I over exert, even if I think I haven't, I am almost 'ill' and become very lethargic for a couple of days. It cycles thru, and I'm back at it, improving each time...well, OK, almost every time! LOL!

Debbie C
02-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Well it was just a "chore" for me to get out of bed in 5 degree weather to get my blood work done but I did. I didn't go to the rehab place though since I thought I over did the walking the other day soooooo I baked some brownies !!!! I also fixed dinner and I felt so quilty for not doing anything I have several shows of "Total Body Sculpting" recorded so I worked out 1/2 with one of those.I definenatly don't feel quilty now....weak.

Dirty Don
02-13-2014, 04:20 AM
What kind of brownies? Ducks, runs away...cuz it's almost 70 here and I can do that! LOL!

Pete
02-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Don,

How's the golf game? Mine is buried under about 6" of snow.

Did most of the usual workout today. Cut back on both walking distance and speed because I have a shin splint. Still walked for 30 minutes, though.

Debbie C
02-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Don , unfortunately they weren't the "medicinal" kind of brownies.:biggrin1:

Dirty Don
02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Pete, golf game is improving from 'those days' of thinking I'd never golf again...79 w/ TWO doubles on Monday...sheesh...no consistency yet tho. Used to play in snow, not any more my friend! Stay warm, go clean your clubs!!

Awwww, Deb...no fun at all! And peeps wonder why I profess such faith in drugs on here...LMAO! I'm all about fun...try dying for 10 days, then wake up to fighting Quaddafi and various other hallucinations...LIFE IS GOOD each and every day!

PS: for the thread: I'm up to walking at least a third of a course now...helps that I'm not butt deep in snow tho! LOL!

annekat
02-14-2014, 04:52 AM
Don, I'd like to set you up with my 80 year old stepmother.... she lives in Palm Desert, CA in the winter and is apparently quite a good golfer, has won tournaments and such. However she is 15 years older than you so maybe not... I'm sure you've got plenty of challenging golf partners. It's fun to think of you, and her, out playing golf in 70 degree weather in February. If I am ever in the company of either of you in your golf environment, you will have to find a beginning golfer for me to play with; otherwise, it would be entirely too boring for you. Or I would just tag along and watch, with some birdwatching on the side, like my dad usually did. Does your wife play golf, too? You both look so tan and healthy and happy in your avatar, though I imagine that was pre-Wegs, etc. I'm wondering if that pic was taken in Arizona or Hawaii or somewhere else?

Alysia
02-14-2014, 05:51 AM
Gained about 2lbs this week.
too much ice cream on your new avatar, then, no wonder :wink1:

annekat
02-14-2014, 06:42 AM
too much ice cream on your new avatar, then, no wonder :wink1: Pete, despite the huge carton of Ben and Jerry's in your avatar, you look very slim in that picture!

MikeG-2012
02-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Pete, despite the huge carton of Ben and Jerry's in your avatar, you look very slim in that picture!

But I think I gained FOUR POUNDS just looking at that big 'ol jug of B&J!! ROFL!!

Pete
02-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Pete, despite the huge carton of Ben and Jerry's in your avatar, you look very slim in that picture!

The new avatar is pre-wegs taken on a leaf peeping trip in October 2009. I weighed about 170 then. I was swimming 1500 meters 2-3 times a week and walking 4 miles on the other days.

Today's workout was 30 minutes walking (still at reduced pace to avoid aggravating the shin splint) and 3 dozen crunches. Hope I'm making progress to reach my pre-wegs weight and physique.

AC2
02-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Hey,

Does anyone else have a Nike Fuelband? This is what I use to measure my activity. If you do, we can become Nike friends.

I won't go into detail, but I've seen a big decrease in my activity since my onset of Sciatica, as moving around is extremely painful. I've been quite busy today (my numbers/results agree), but I'm suffering for it pain-wise now.

Pete
02-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Friday's workout was preceeded with a small fender bender on the way to the Y. Both my wife and I are OK. Damage to our car is "minimal" (whatever that means to the body shop).

Workout was 35 minutes walking, shoulder press 24 reps at 20 lbs, chest press 24 reps at 40 pounds, and 36 crunches.

pberggren1
02-15-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your care Pete. Just glad you are both alright.

Debbie C
02-15-2014, 01:42 PM
The most excerise I have done the last 2 days is right arm lifts ( lifting fork to my mouth ) Went to dinner last nite before seeing a Circus Solle show and today was Valentines Day so we went for a early dinner. Had a big plate of Greek garlic penne pasta. When I got home I tried doing the body scupting recorded show but when it came it lifting weights I had a sharp pain in my chest,so I quit, probably heartburn from all the garlic but I figured I make up for it tommorrow.
Love the pic Pete !!!!

Dirty Don
02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
As long as it wasn't the Boxster...glad you're both OK too...

Pete
02-15-2014, 01:52 PM
As long as it wasn't the Boxster...glad you're both OK too...

My insurance agent was happy, too! Wife's Honda has a crack in the bumper and it looks like the right front fender is a bit displaced. Off to the body shop on Monday.

Debbie C
02-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Yea Pete,glad you are both o.k., there have been some nasty pile-ups with this weather...but next week looks better:thumbsup:

annekat
02-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Fender benders are never fun, Pete... But I'm glad you are both OK and damage to the car was only "minimal".

Pete
02-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Damage to the wife's car is just under $600. Should take 3-4 days in the shop.

Today's workout was a 45-minute walk. The Y was packed.

windchime
02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm excited to report......drum roll please.........:w00t: that I swept and mopped all my floors (all tile except the bedrooms), did 5 loads of laundry and various other little things around the house. Now I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but for someone who gets out of breath taking a shower that is a big accomplishment. ALSO I did it ALL with no oxygen and minimal shortness of breath. There was some panting, but I was able to control it. :biggrin1:

This is the first day since Nov 7th that I've been able to do something like this. I'm very excited. Especially since last week the old body did not like going to 20 mg of pred and I popped it back up to 25 mg for a week or so. Maybe that's where all the energy came from. Regardless it felt good that I accomplished something. And my doc says I'm deconditioned (doc talk for fat and out of shape, I think). LOL :lol:

pberggren1
02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
I am excited to announce that Cindy is accepted as my new house maid........:biggrin1:

windchime
02-19-2014, 03:59 AM
I am excited to announce that Cindy is accepted as my new house maid........:biggrin1:

Good luck with that as Cindy HATES housework. Let me repeat HATES it. :flapper:

Pete
02-19-2014, 05:43 AM
Today's workout was the full one: 35 minute power walk, 24 reps on two machines, and 36 crunches. Done in less than 50 minutes. Lost 1/2 pound this week, but the clothes are slowly starting to fit better. My appetite and evening snacking are more controllable at 9 mg/day of pred. :)

Alysia
02-19-2014, 05:46 AM
Good luck with that as Cindy HATES housework. Let me repeat HATES it. :flapper:

hmmm..... in that case, Batman will have to use his gadgets to clean the batcave :wink1:

Pete
02-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Finally, the snow is melting!! Hope to be able to walk outdoors soon.

Today's workout was 45 minutes walking and 50 crunches.

Alysia
02-21-2014, 12:58 AM
Finally, the snow is melting!!

of course :rolleyes1: we posted so many anti-winter posts on your fb, so we finally beat your winter :thumbup:

Pete
02-21-2014, 06:12 AM
We're getting a few days off from winter. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I hope to walk outdoors in our neighborhood where I've charted loops of 2, 2.5, and 3 miles. Getting off the Y's 17 laps per mile track will be a nice change of scenery.

I think I'm starting to get good results. My waistline is slowly shrinking. I'm losing 1-2 pounds a week, and I'm feeling stronger and more energetic. I'm now working out consistently 4-5 days a week. I'm going to modify my routine so that I'm only doing weight training a couple times a week. On weight days, the workout now is 35 minutes (2 miles) of walking, 24 shoulder presses at 20 pounds, 24 chest presses at 40 pounds, and 50 crunches. I can do this in about 45-50 minutes. On non-weight days, I'll walk 45-50 minutes (or the outdoor 3-mile loop) and do the 50 crunches.

Today's workout was with weight.

Hope that all of you who are exercising are reaping good benefits!

NikkiNicole
02-22-2014, 07:22 AM
No workouts for me in the last week and a half. I've been sick sick sick.
I'm back at work today so, maybe I can start moving around. I'll be out and about with my brother, husband and brother's girlfriend on Sunday so that will get me moving and will be back in the gym Monday morning.
So much for my vacation with workouts and coming back to work thinner than when I left! Grrr.
Keep up the great work everyone!!!!!

windchime
02-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Well I walked the mall today. Breathing was iffy so I had to take it easy, but I did it. Even made it back to my car and that was definitely a plus since my legs were feeling pretty weak by that time. Probably pushed it a little too far. Feel fine now just a little tired. Got my referral for pulmonary rehab today so will call on Monday to make an appointment.

Pete
02-24-2014, 02:53 AM
No formal workouts the past couple of days. Friday I did some heavy cleaning around the house. Hoovered all the carpeting (about 1800 sq ft) with the old vac. Newer, self-propelled vac needs new drive belt. Then polished the countertops and appliances in the kitchen. That did a number on my right hand - some cramping Friday night and yesterday.

My OSU college roommate visited Friday and Saturday. Took him and his wife on a tour of Columbus that included a walk through Mirror Lake Hollow and the south side of the Oval. Probably walked most of a mile. Taking today off and going back to the Y tomorrow.

Cindy and Nikki, I hope you both feel better soon. Just don't overdo.

Pete
02-25-2014, 06:46 AM
Back at it today. Did the usual Y workout with weights. Starting to see results in smaller waistline, weight loss, feeling stronger. Also, appetite has lessened now that I'm on my second week of 9 mg/day of pred.

NikkiNicole
02-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Back to the gym today, 55 minutes of interval training on my legs. They are limp noodles now. Afterwards, I leashed up the dog and walked just a little half mile stretch down the side street and back by our house. Tomorrow, I'll get back on the long walk train. Today I was feeling shaky.
Still sick. Still coughing. My voice isn't quite back to normal.

Pete
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Hey Nikki,

I'm glad you're making a concerted effort to get some exercise. I'm also worried that you're overdoing it a bit.

Pete
03-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Had a good week at the Y. Got there four of five days. Did the workout with weights 3x and once without weights. First part of next week looks a little dicey because we may get another significant snowstorm and will get another visit from the polar vortex :frown:.

I think I'm at a good place with respect to the amount and types of exercise I'm getting. Once the weather breaks, I'll vary the routine a bit as I'll have yard work to do, (many) golf balls to hit, and grandchildren to entertain. I see my PCP on Wednesday, and we'll see how everything looks to him then. Back to CC in April.

Nikki needs to rest and get her strength back. Another lesson learned: What we may ascribe to wegs isn't -- and vice versa... And so it goes.

NikkiNicole
03-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Listen to your bodies, folks. We are the only one who can tell when something isn't right.

I'm not allowed to work out yet. I'm on light duty in life until the end of the month. I will still come here and cheer you all on!!!

Honestly, I thought by now I'd be down at least 20 lbs!!!!!! My body seems to have other plans.

Debbie C
03-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I haven't been doing anything and I can tell. I feel so fat and bloated.I don't think I'll be wearing a bikini next week. Pete,I'm so glad ( and jealous ) of the progess you have made. I literally have to get my rear in gear.

pberggren1
03-08-2014, 02:15 PM
I haven't been doing anything and I can tell. I feel so fat and bloated.I don't think I'll be wearing a bikini next week. Pete,I'm so glad ( and jealous ) of the progess you have made. I literally have to get my rear in gear.

You sure crack me up sometimes Deb........:lol:

Pete
03-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Had a really good week. Got to the Y every day. Did the weight workout twice and the walking workout three times.

Saw my PCP on Tuesday. My vital signs were the best the have been since dx. Labs were in normal range. Losing 0.5-1 pound a week on average. Clothes are starting to fit better. Down to 8 mg/day of pred.

Progress is slow, but it's still progress!

NikkiNicole
03-09-2014, 02:49 AM
Oh Pete I am so excited for you. And jealous! I need to get out and move again. I'm gonna give myself til Sunday. Then, on Monday, I'm going to start walking again. I can't do any weights until the end of the month but I can at least get walking!!!

Pete
03-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Oh Pete I am so excited for you. And jealous! I need to get out and move again. I'm gonna give myself til Sunday. Then, on Monday, I'm going to start walking again. I can't do any weights until the end of the month but I can at least get walking!!!

Hi Nikki,
Glad to hear you're feeling better. Your return to exercise seems to be a reasonable plan. Just listen to your body and don't overdo things. Good luck!!

Pete
03-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Today, the sidewalks in our neighborhood are finally clear of ice and snow!! Took a three-mile walk outdoors for the first time since mid-November.

Pete
03-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Had a pretty good week of workouts this week. Walked outside twice and did the indoor workout with weights twice. We had the grandkids on Thursday. Livy is a little dickens. Had to stop her from climbing the stairs a half dozen times. Got a little weight training each time I picked her up. ;)

annekat
03-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Well, I had to change a tire by myself here in my driveway. There was a big old bolt in it. Then I took it in and got it fixed. This does not sound like too big a deal but it's not something I do everyday, and I have a few bruises and minor aches from manhandling those tires. My tires are big, and there was a little weight-bearing exercise there.

windchime
03-16-2014, 06:40 AM
I started Pulmonary rehab this week and went three times. I noticed this morning that my triceps are a little sore so that is good. I get to go three times a week for 23 visits this first go round. It felt good. I also had oxygen support there which helped a lot.

Sjap0655
03-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Hey Pete and my fellow. Workout buddies! I am finally hitting the pavement with my long runs again. And it feels great!

I am doing paleo\atkinish diet to lose weight along with strength n conditioning. I usually post on my fitness blog but will try to keep up with everyone this spring on the forum too.

Sheila

Pete
03-20-2014, 01:30 AM
I'm taking it easy this week. I had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday (so I'm 25% less wise today), and the oral surgeon wants me to avoid lifting for a few days. The procedure went very well. I'm not taking any pain medication at all.

Sjap0655
03-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Aww, feel better Pete! I am thinking of taking this week a little easy myself. I've been working out now for almost 20 weeks straight and you have to add some recovery time in there. I think If I do anything it will be in the form of low impact, walking. Today is gloomy in Ohio. So a big cup of coffee is all I'm doing right now while Joshua sleeps in.

How are you feeling.. PM me or email me…I'd love to hear how your progressing. Stay well my friend. Sheila

MikeG-2012
03-20-2014, 09:54 AM
The tooth fairy dropped this off at my place by mistake Pete!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/2006_Quarter_Proof.png/220px-2006_Quarter_Proof.png

Hope you're up to speed soon!

Pete
03-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Mike!!

i'm feeling fine and pain free. Just need to give the wound time to heal.

Alysia
03-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Pete, I think that now you are allowed of some ice cream the make the area cold :wink1:
you prob have good dentist if you are pain free. sounds good. have easy and fast recovery :hug1:

Pete
03-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Pete, I think that now you are allowed of some ice cream the make the area cold :wink1:
you prob have good dentist if you are pain free. sounds good. have easy and fast recovery :hug1:

Ah, ice cream -- one of the basic food groups! I'm working my way through a half gallon of fudge swirl this week... ;)

NikkiNicole
03-21-2014, 05:04 AM
I walked 3/4 of a mile on Monday, 2 miles on Tuesday and 1.5 miles yesterday. It feels good to be out and about again. Soon, it will be April 1st and I can start hitting the gym again. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't start something else wrong with me.

Pete
03-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Way to go, Nikki! I hope you're feeling better. I plan to get back to the Y on Monday.

NikkiNicole
03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
1.67 miles today while on my break at work. My back was bothering me for some reason but I was so glad I got out and got moving. I hope I can keep this trend up. Maybe then the scale will move.

windchime
03-22-2014, 04:16 AM
I made it through another three days of pulm rehab. Increases in all times and resistance on all the machines. Feels good.

Sjap0655
03-29-2014, 08:07 AM
This week I started back on the treadmill. Did about 3 miles yesterday along with some strength training. I'm hoping to get outdoors over the weekend for some exercise. I'm thinking of buying another exercise video on strength and conditioning. I am pleasantly surprised at how much you can accomplish at home without going to the gym. Wishing everyone a healthy exercise week.

TIP: If you can't get to the gym try doing 3 sets bodyweight exercises such as: squats, push ups and crunches. I typically take 15 -20 minutes and do 8-12 reps of each. Its working so far, my hump in my back is steadily decreasing and my hubby says its almost gone!!!

Good luck!

Debbie C
03-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Well I got back from Fl. yesterday where my sister and I would walk from 3-5 mlies a day and I did water aerowbics (sp ?? )in the pool with weights.I really felt good except for the horrible sunburn I got the 2nd day there. I thought I would come home and get on the scale to see some pounds shed,but it's the same:confused1: And now that I'm back in cold dreary Ohio I haven't been able to walk and last night and today I keep getting bad craps in my feet and toes. Next week it looks like it is going to warm up so the walks will begin again.