PDA

View Full Version : Bone Density Scan and Tear Duct

pberggren1
08-21-2009, 12:32 PM
HI ALL:

I don't have internet at home anymore so I will probably only be able to get on here about once or twice a week at best. I will have to go and use the computers at the library.

I had my bone scan done on August 12 will probably know the results in early September. The lady that did the scan said that it looked good to her but said that didn't come from her.

About 7 days ago my left eye where I had the tear duct surgery started to irritate me a little. Then 2 days ago it got really bad and I noticed the tube that is in place has torn loose from the lower duct causing some damage. I tried to see the local Opthamologist but couldn't see him this week and can't see the one that did the surgery until the 25th. I saw a GP at emergency and he gave me some drops to use that are antibiotic and corticosteroid.

The drops seem to be relieving the irritation somewhat. I don't understand why I couldn't see the local Opthamologist.

Phil

Sangye
08-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Sounds like you might have to lean on them to get a quicker appointment. Glad your bone scan went well!

Doug
08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Sorry to read you don't have home internet any more. We're still here for you, though, and I hope your library has a more liberal policy about use than mine (30 minutes, then you're off- though in times where usage is slow, you can stay on it until computers start to fill up again). Before I got home internet, time on the library computers barely was enough to take care of business. These days, I couldn't complete a fraction of my tasks in that time. The 25th isn't that far away, though you are the one having to deal with the eye irritation, not me. :(:(

Cindy M
08-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Hope everything goes well, I know how much pain and irritation the eyes can give you. The bone density sound good. Sorry to hear about your internet, I know how hard that must be, we all rely on it.

jola57
08-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear about the irritation. Phill, bug the secretaties untill they give you an earlier appointment, tell them it will be thier fault if you get an infection/flare. I am also sorry about the internet, I can anly imagince how it would be without it. Hopefuly the library is not to far away.

pberggren1
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Good news guys:

I saw a doc last Wednesday and he gave me a prescription for some eye drops that took the irritation away fairly quickly. And I saw the local Opthamologist today and he said it is nothing to be concerned about. He said the tube has eroded away from the natural duct leaving me with a larger tear duct, which is good.

Thanks guys for your conern.

Phil

Sangye
08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Wow, an erosion story with a happy ending. Yay for you! :D

coffeelover
08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Phil,

I too am sorry you no longer have internet at home. I enjoy hearing from you.
I am glad your eye situation is better. I was going to tell you to not take no for an answer. It seems that these days we need to get pushy about what we want. At least down here in the states.
LIsa

jola57
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
That is good news Phill, so glad it is actually for the better

pberggren1
09-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I got the results of my bone scan and not good. My GP said it is in the low of normal range and put me on Fosamax. I'm going to look into the local gyms and physio- therapy places in town to get the proper knowledge for exercise and weight training to build up my bones.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again,
Phil

Sangye
09-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Phil, sorry to hear about your bone density. Bone builds by having force applied to it. You can "sneak" these forces into your daily life-- vacuuming, carrying groceries out to your car, doing a few biceps curls with a soup can or bag of rice while your spaghetti boils, etc.... Unless you're really up to it, it isn't necessary to do gym weights, etc... to build bone. But if you can do it without overexerting yourself or causing the Wegs to flare, then definitely go for it.

Swimming and doing resistance exercises in the pool are also great ways to put loads on bones. Unless you're a weak thing like me, just moving your arms and legs in the pool won't be enough resistance. They make all kinds of inexpensive pool exercise equipment-- hand or foot paddles, kickboards, etc... just for that.

jola57
09-04-2009, 12:49 AM
That is not so good news but at least it is still within the norm. When talking to gym or physio make sure they are knowlegable about brittle bones. Some jocks in the gym may try to have you do more than you should which will impact both your muscles and bones in not so good way. You don't want to flare the Wegs or do permanent ddamage to your bones. Some breaks/fractures remain invisible and are painless but nevertheless happen. Water excercise still remains the best for Weggies
the buoyancy cushioning the impact and the water giving just enough resistance for good overall workout.

pberggren1
09-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Went and saw a Physio-therapist today. She was really nice and showed me a whole bunch of exercises I can do at home.

Sangye
09-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Great news! And I also saw that you're getting the tube out of your eye in a few weeks. Glad to hear it. That thing gives me the heeby-jeebies. :D

Doug
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Good to "see" you again, Phil! Sounds like you have some progress going for you, and the good news of others is always the good news for each of us. :):):):)