PDA

View Full Version : A vertical line of letters before post

Lilly
12-31-2013, 12:06 AM
When I (Lilly) or my mother (LillysMom) post from her computer, there is always a vertical line of letters, and occasional word, like...."standard" and other computer symbols. It wasts a lot of space and I was wondering if it was a setting I need to change on this site? Or just with my moms computer? It does not do it when I post from my I Phone. Thank u~

Alysia
12-31-2013, 02:39 AM
Hi Lily,
you can edit each post of yours after you send it. look and see there is an "edit" option.
I don't know why do you have all that letters.
but I am glad that you have an access to come here whenever you want.

annekat
12-31-2013, 05:00 AM
Good point about the editing. That seems like it would work, just delete that stuff in the editing process. One more step you have to take, but might make you feel better to get rid of the extra stuff.

annekat
12-31-2013, 05:05 AM
There are also opportunities to preview your post in some situations.... and then you can edit before sending. Not sure what to tell you about when you can do this, as I'm not being offered that option in this quick reply. Maybe try the "Go Advanced" button?

Pete
12-31-2013, 06:30 AM
Perhaps a PM to Andrew is in order to see what might be causing this...

Dirty Don
12-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Easiest thing to try is delete this site from puter, restart, find and download this site again, then try it.

andrew
01-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi hi. Yes I've seen this from you Lilly and one other. Not sure what's causing it but when I get back to a real internet connection I'll see if I can work out what's wrong.

Killy can you please tell me what computer and browser you're using when this happens for example windows 8 and internet explorer or apple MAC and Safari.

Lilly
01-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Andrew, it's Lilly. The computer I'm using is -- Windows 7, MAC Book Air, Apple--Safari. It doesn't happen when I use my I Phone 3. I went into settings and made a change that they suggested to choose another of the 3, if u were having problems with the way your messages were printing. Maybe that will help. I'll get on moms Apple as soon as I can and see. Thank You~

Lilly
01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
I surely appreciate all the good advice I received about the crazy vertical line of letters on my posts. I think I'll get it fixed one way or another soon. I'm just happy to know y'all are there, even for this! :)
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!! I'm looking forward to it! Heck....I'm just happy to wake Up every morning! :) I have a strange sense of humor, so hope no one ever thinks I'm being critical or mean....if I ever seem that way to anyone, let me know. We are from all over the world, so I assume we will have some differences. Thank you all!

Debbie C
01-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Andrew to the rescue !!! Lilly are you posting from your phone cuz it's not doing it now ?

You can "pretty much" say what's on your mind, I think we are all a little crazy here....maybe it's the drugs !!!

annekat
01-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I haven't noticed anything critical or mean sounding in what you have written, Lilly.

Lilly
01-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Well Anne I'm glad! I have a dry sense of humor, so I may say something silly to me that someone else "doesn't get it!" But that's not really as important as learning more about this crazy disease! I think I am ready to ask a major question. Do I start a "new thread"? Or just go to the main forum and ask? I'm still learning this site, and it is not that difficult, but I'm not used to "websites". I'm trying to help my mom learn the site. She just joined :) She is my Best Friend and my Rock. She worries that she bothers me by checking on me when I'm at my house, or calling each morning, ......but I wouldn't want it any other way! She is amazing, I have 3 younger sisters, and she is able to make us all feel like she is there for us all, when we need her. I am so very lucky and blessed. I'm going to keep looking around to see the best way to ask my question, if u can tell me the best way, I'll b here. Thank you!

annekat
01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
You can always start a new thread whenever you want to, to ask a specific question, tell a story, update us on something, or whatever. You just go the the main Forum page (link at upper left on this page), and then pick from list of categories according to what best fits the content of what you are going to post. Just like you did when you picked New Member Introductions and Website Issues. There's one for non-Wegs related stuff, too. Anyway, go to the category that you picked and you'll see a list of posts and threads, and up in the left hand corner you'll see Post New Thread. So, just go there, and you'll get a chance to fill in a title for your thread, and a screen on which to write it. I think you may get a chance to preview your post, too, so you could possibly delete all those extraneous characters that keep appearing. And there are ways to insert pics and smilies in your post, change the font, add colored text, etc. You can always continue in an existing thread, too, if it seems appropriate. I hope that helps! You have already done all this, actually. I don't think there is really a "main forum" to ask from, you need to pick a category if I'm not mistaken. One of them is General WG Discussion or something similar, which can be kind of a catch all.

Lilly
01-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Yes Debra, posting from my phone! So it doesn't do it.....:)

Lilly
01-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks so much Anne! That helps tremendously!! I'm beginning to get it! Lol! My question is about my nose, and where I live, in Mobile, Alabama....it's almost 10pm, and being New Years Day, the family was here to eat and we had a great day, but I'm exhausted, and I just took my nite time pain med, so I'll be falling asleep soon! I'll get back on tomorrow and maybe my brain will work better! :)
Thanks girl......ur the best, I'll talk to u and many other terrific folks tomorrow~

andrew
01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Hi Lilly
From your earlier post I gather you're using safari when this issue happens.
Try emptying the Safari cache which is i think done by:

Command + Option + E
Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Other than that if you're using Kaspersky antivirus, try uninstalling the sucker and see if that fixes it too. Kaspersky both sucks and blows. Just sayin'

annekat
01-02-2014, 06:08 PM
I use Safari and haven't had the problem, FWIW. And you can empty the Safari cache by just clicking on it at top of screen and selecting Empty Cache from the drop down menu. As for Kaspersky, I never heard of it, but I haven't heard of a lot of things...

renidrag
01-08-2014, 02:32 AM
What do you gain by emptying the Cache? I also run Safari on a Mac.
Dale

Dirty Don
01-08-2014, 02:58 AM
On a Mac, you don't gain much as Macs clean up easily and the OS is as clean as there is out there. On a PC, 'clutter' gets kept in cache, so it needs clearing...used to do mine once a week, but have gone Mac now...not as much clean up to do. I do clean out Safari tho at least once a week. A clear cache essentially means better speed, until it gets loaded up again! Ha!

annekat
01-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Lilly, you also mentioned Windows 7 in your post, along with MacBook Air and Safari. I understand there are versions of Windows or Internet Explorer for Macs, that can be used on them, and wonder if that's what you are doing when this happens.