PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Recipes

Sangye
08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Since we always wind up talking about food anyway, I'm starting a thread where we can share some healthy but great tasting recipes. I thought of it today after making (by sheer experiment) a totally yummy sandwich. I thought, "Gee, someone else should be enjoying this, too."

This might not sound good, but I assure you, it was "restaurant yummy" and way easy/fast to make.

I cubed some tempeh and sauteed it in about a tablespoon of olive oil. It soaked up the oil as it sauteed. Then I put it on a slice of multi-grain bread, added a bit of Monterey Jack cheese (I used pepper jack), and put the top piece of bread on it. I put the whole sandwich back in the skillet and left it covered on low heat for about 5 min. I turned it when the bread grilled, and grilled the other side until all the cheese melted. Some people might prefer toasting the bread first. You can add tomatoes, avocado, whatever, afterwards. It was very filling. For those of us living on tight budgets, it cost about $2 (at the most) to make it.

Luce
08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Sounds good but what is tempeh?

Sangye
08-13-2009, 10:22 AM
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh) is tempeh. It's much healthier than tofu. Denser. It's fermented, but doesn't have a fermented taste. Very yummy. It's an excellent source of protein.

jola57
08-13-2009, 03:19 PM
My supermarkets cary tofu but i have not seen tempeh. I will scout natural food stores.

Sangye
08-14-2009, 12:44 AM
You'll easily find it in a health food store. Look in the refrigerated section. They have it in different forms--plain, with veggies, etc... I made the sandwich using a "garden mix" one, but I'm sure it's just as good with plain.

A local health food store in Arizona used to make a "Healthy Reuben" sandwhich using plain tempeh. They sauteed it, added raw sauerkraut and made a healthy version of thousand island dressing. It was awesome.

jola57
08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
OOh I love ruben, but no corned beef, yikes. I do love my meat.

Sangye
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
I love corned beef, too. This isn't really a replacement for it (ie, it doesn't taste like corned beef at all), but it does satisfy my "I want a Reuben-like" sandwich sometimes!

jola57
08-16-2009, 02:44 AM
I will try and let you know how it tasted

Sangye
08-16-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm eating one right now. Wanna taste?

coffeelover
08-16-2009, 04:51 AM
What a great idea! I am excited and thrilled to have a thread like this. You are so smart Sangye!
I, too, will try your sandwich as soon as I can locate some tempeh.

I too have made some interesting sandwiches with whole grain buns. I will try to remember some of them and get them on this thread soon.
(I am at work now and shouldn't be playing)
:DReally likes this
Coffeelover

Cindy M
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Sangye, I need some major help here. It seems like I am gaining weight daily. I am on 16 5mgs preds per day. I have been eating out of frustration, hunger, loneliness, you name it. If I do have company I sit here thinking about what I can eat when they leave. I also have made a habit of eating before going to bed. I am getting so huge and frustrated, no energy, tired all the time. I keep thinking tomorrow will be better but it's not. If I go out shopping I am done for for the rest of the day. Walking up the stairs is alot of work. Try doing some house work like sweeping the floors or vaccuming, doing the dishes etc and my lower back starts to hurt.

Sangye
08-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Cindy, I feel for you. At 80 mg pred a day, you probably are gaining weight each day. Some is water retention, but I'm sorry to say, not much.

Even though all your emotions are normal, pred makes them all larger than life (even joy is JOY). Pred makes you desire food, so you might be thinking you're craving food to meet an emotional need, but you're really just craving food.

The lack of energy and fatigue is a combo of active Wegs and the effects of the drugs, not the actual weight gain.

It may be that even light exercise is too much for you right now. For me, it was a year before I could stand long enough to brush my teeth. I had a lot of complications, bad doctors and no support group. You need to give your body the rest it needs.

Even if you can exercise some, losing weight while you're on high pred is just not going to happen. It's just biochemistry. The best you can do is try to limit your caloric intake. Eating things like raw carrots helps. Lots of chewing! :)

When I got diagnosed, I didn't know about pred. Chiropractors don't learn about drugs because we don't use them. I had NO idea it would affect my appetite. The chemo was making me so nauseous, I just thought my body was demanding food to balance itself out. I would eat in the middle of the night--something I never ever did. NONE of my doctors told me about pred, either. I didn't have computer access to research pred.

It's painful to look back on those days, and so painful to see you and others going through it for the first time. I hope this helps. It won't help you lose weight, but it might help you understand what's happening.

Cindy M
08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks Sangye, I guess if I could just slow or stop the weight gain right now I would be happy, but your right it is not all water retention. Sometimes I feel like when you are pregnant and you think you have this all access pass to eat whatever and whenever you want because you are eating for 2. I know I really need to increase my water intake also, I know that would help alot.

jola57
08-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Cindy, i wish there was a magic wand and food would just have no calories. Unfortunately pred not only makes us hungry it also stores the fat in far more quantities than is normal. The puffiness on your body and expecially around your face will quickly go away when you lower pred, but the fat will take along time to lose. I have been on 15 pred for almost 2 months (from 60 for 7 months) and managed to lose only about 9kg. Drinking water helps but I still crave food like crazu. yes, snaking any tiem especially at night is bliss, I wake up in the middle of the nnight and snack. Even now. I think a lot has to do with will power as well, which I don't seem to have for food. But even with all this craving I am slowly but surely losing some waight. so don't despair, you too will come to that point. So eat and don't beat yourself about it. Just enjoy the ride.

Cindy M
08-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Jolanta, I wish there was a magic wand. I keep trying to convince myself to eat more healthy foods, but unfortunately that does not always happen. I have made some changes, I have started to eat dark chocolate instead of the creamy and have started to eat almonds instead of peanuts, cashews etc. I really love my salty foods, nuts and chocolate. I know I also need to drink more water and maybe start to walk around the block a couple of times. I have a little dog (multi-shitzu) who would probably enjoy it, it's just a matter of me getting my rear in gear and make it part of my daily routine.

I have just finished my second round of IV of Rituxan on thursday so I am hoping that things will improve. I see my rhuemy on the 31st of August and hope that she will start to lower the preds. I have put on quite a bit of weight since January, I had lost a bit between November and January before I was diagnosed with wegs but once I went on preds the weight just started. I think I have probably put on about 35 to 40 pounds since January which is enormous, it has really started to effect my lower back, just walking, housing cleaning, doing dishes, etc and my lower back starts to hurt. It kind of scares me how quickly this has happened.

Sangye
08-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I gained 40 lbs in 4 months on pred. I didn't continue gaining at that rate, though. I think I gained another 10 lbs in the next year--some from pred and a lot from inability to exercise at all.

Cindy M
08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I sure hope I slow down, it's starting to scare me so maybe I will make more conscious decisions about what I eat. I just know from past experiences I am very week when trying to resist things. I have good intentions but sometimes that is as far as it goes.

Sangye
08-23-2009, 02:50 PM
One motivator might be knowing that whatever weight you gain on pred is extremely difficult to lose, even when you stop pred. It changes your metabolism and messes with the entire endocrine system. It was never easy for me to lose weight before Wegs, but this is ridiculous.

Hiking in the Grand Canyon is extremely difficult due to the altitude and temperature changes. They have a saying for hikers--especially for people who just want to walk down a trail a little bit : "One mile down, seven miles up." That's how losing weight is with pred.

jola57
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Chocolate, mmm the taste. Cindy do be careful, chocolate can be hard on the kidneys so eat it moderately. Here I talk and I have fallen off the wagon muself - I simply adore pepsi/coke. I used to drink at least 2l per day but since I got sick, I had to stop. I occasionaly drink a glass but 3 days ago I ordered a pizza and a 2l pepsi. Drank 1/2 a bottle and now am paying in spades. My gut is on fire and my esophagus just will not stop overflowing. Nothig helped, but today it is easing off somewhat although even drinking hot tea is like swollowing a burnig lava.:eek:

Sangye
08-25-2009, 12:42 AM
Jolanta, you upset your stomach acid. Put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water (at least 6 oz) and drink it down all at once. Your stomach pain will be gone in an hour. You might have to repeat it later in the day, or for a few days in a row.

Careful with that stuff (pepsi/coke)-- the caffeine, sugar, and acid, oy! If you're gonna drink a lot (like with a pizza), make yourself drink a glass of water after each glass of coke. It'll fill you up and you won't drink as much, but you won't feel deprived, either.

coffeelover
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Does anybody else notice that if you don't eat that (chocolate for example) that you are craving you tend to eat everything else under the sun?

Maybe a small bags of tootsie rolls in a difficult to reach area would help your cravings, but not entice you to eat too much?

This coming from the girl who has only lost and gained the same 3-4 pounds in the past 6 months. Not much luck here and I have always adored eating!!!

and coffee of course. Care to join me?
LIsa

jola57
08-25-2009, 01:59 PM
You look fantastic in the video Lisa, just look at my before and after picks its enough to make me cry (although I don't, I just hate what it made me look like)

Cindy M
08-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the info, it scares me how little I know about my body. I know there is alot out there can hurt us, I just never realized how much.

GeorgiaInOhio
08-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Ok, well im actually going to post a Healthy Recipe. LOL. This is a favorite breakfast of mine, I just recently added it back into my diet because, like Cindy, my prednisone mind went straight to hey, i can eat whatever I want because of the steroids... and 9 pounds in 2 weeks later (this was after id finally lost 4 pounds of the first 15 I gained), I realized, uh, no, I cant.

This Breakfast is not only healthy, but it completely banishes my cravings for sweets for most of the day. Im not kidding. And Im someone who could eat Cereal all day if you let me. I used to eat healthy all the time, at one point had lost alot of weight, and was doing very well, but then let stress get the best of me, gained most back, then suddenly the last year the sinus infections that started the WG started, and well, lets just say, here we are today. :D so im back now to hopefully eating right again, so far so good, so we will see. I still sneak an organic dark chocolate granola bar here and there, but its not so bad. :D

But I thought Id share this recipe with you all. Its fantastic, delicious, and EXTREMELY HEALTHY!!!

Smoked Salmon Fritata
3 egg whites
a handful of chopped scallions (green onions)
2 oz of smoked salmon
2 cups of arugula

beat the egg whites and cook in a pan with some extra virgin olive oil on low heat. throw in the scallions, and right before your ready to flip, throw in the salmon. you just want to flip the fritata in half, like an omlet, cook about 30 more seconds and then put the fritata on a bed of arugula. Ad salt and pepper to taste. VOILA!

This is my fave breakfast of all time. Regular salmon works if you cant find smoked, and its a bit cheaper, but the flavor of the smoked is just amazing with the eggs. If I eat this, I stay full longer and it curbs my sweet cravings for a long time. I dont know why, but it does. If you like oranges, eat a half an orange with it, it makes the flavor burst, its fantastic!

Enjoy!!

Sangye
08-30-2009, 11:56 PM
YUMMMMM!!! That sounds awesome!

jola57
09-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Since we are on a recepie topic here is mine for a cure all chicken soup

If you like it fatless use chicken breasts only, I personally use thighs because I preffer them, or as in the recepie a whole chicken for that wholesome taste. You can add turkey meat for a more flavorfull taste.

8 chicken thighs or breasts
1 l water
1/2 onion
1 carrot
1/2 celery
couple sprigs of parsley
salt/pepper

Boil the meat in 1 liter of water on high until the scum protein whites come to the top, immediately turn to simmer and remove the scum. Add about 2 tbsp of salt and about 6 peppercorns, continue to simmer for 40 min. Add chopped veggies and simmer for 30 min. Add salt/pepper to taste. Enjoy this healthy soup.

You can boil some noodles, boil some tortelini or even rice or cornmeal, put onto the plate and add the chicken soup (rosol in polish).

use the soup as a stock then to make

Mushroom soup

cup of sliced mushrooms ( if you have wild mushrooms all the better)
2 med potatos diced
left over stock (1/2 liter) and 1/2 liter water
1/2 cup cream or milk or for the adventurous sour creme

Boil all ingridients except cream/milk for 35 min or untill shrooms are tender, then add cream/milk stir brisckly, you can eat like this or use use blender to make it creamy.

Cabbage soup

shredded 1/2 a cabbage
2 med potatos diced
1/3 cup pickled tomatoes and red pepper if you can find it in a deli if not
use 1/2 red pepper diced and 1 tomato diced and 1/4 cup vinegar
left over stock 1/2 liter plus 1/2 liter water
salt/pepper to taste
for spice add dash of tobasco or hot pepper

Bring all ingredient to boil and simmer for 40 minutes.

Doug
09-02-2009, 05:42 AM
I haven't spent enough time in this thread. Some very do-able and delicious sounding recipes in here! I didn't realize how complex cabbage soup is. I presume this is an authentic Polish recipe from Jolanta! It sounds very good. I think I almost have everything I need to make it in my refrigerator or storage area. Will paprika substitute for red pepper, Jolanta, or is that the red bell pepper?

Cindy M
09-02-2009, 05:25 PM
That sounds great, I'm going to try it.

GeorgiaInOhio
09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
omg, the soups sound fantastic, and just in time for winter! ooooooo. I do have a question as well tho... say we want to make just the mushroom soup, can we use chicken broth from those little cartons in the store? lol. i hope i dont sound stupid asking that, but i love mushrooms and would probably run out of the chicken soup leftovers :D

jola57
09-03-2009, 03:49 PM
yep you can use carton stock. Doug, paprika or red pepper ok. Realy, the soups are very quick to prepare only time taken is for cutting 2 or 3 veggies then all into a pot and simmer.

Doug
09-04-2009, 06:26 AM
I am eating out tonight, but soup is in my near term plan for yummy food I don't have to work too hard to make! It's cabbage soup first, since that's what I have the most ingredients on hand to make.

Doug
09-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Ok, well im actually going to post a Healthy Recipe. LOL. This is a favorite breakfast of mine, I just recently added it back into my diet because, like Cindy, my prednisone mind went straight to hey, i can eat whatever I want because of the steroids... and 9 pounds in 2 weeks later (this was after id finally lost 4 pounds of the first 15 I gained), I realized, uh, no, I cant.

This Breakfast is not only healthy, but it completely banishes my cravings for sweets for most of the day. Im not kidding. And Im someone who could eat Cereal all day if you let me. I used to eat healthy all the time, at one point had lost alot of weight, and was doing very well, but then let stress get the best of me, gained most back, then suddenly the last year the sinus infections that started the WG started, and well, lets just say, here we are today. :D so im back now to hopefully eating right again, so far so good, so we will see. I still sneak an organic dark chocolate granola bar here and there, but its not so bad. :D

But I thought Id share this recipe with you all. Its fantastic, delicious, and EXTREMELY HEALTHY!!!

Smoked Salmon Fritata
3 egg whites
a handful of chopped scallions (green onions)
2 oz of smoked salmon
2 cups of arugula

beat the egg whites and cook in a pan with some extra virgin olive oil on low heat. throw in the scallions, and right before your ready to flip, throw in the salmon. you just want to flip the fritata in half, like an omlet, cook about 30 more seconds and then put the fritata on a bed of arugula. Ad salt and pepper to taste. VOILA!

This is my fave breakfast of all time. Regular salmon works if you cant find smoked, and its a bit cheaper, but the flavor of the smoked is just amazing with the eggs. If I eat this, I stay full longer and it curbs my sweet cravings for a long time. I dont know why, but it does. If you like oranges, eat a half an orange with it, it makes the flavor burst, its fantastic!

Enjoy!!

I almost missed this one! Yum! As I said, I need to spend more time in this thread!

coffeelover
09-14-2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the soup recipes Jolanta. I love soup, especially during the MN Winters!
LIsa

jola57
09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I am trying to have soup only diet but simply have no will power to stick to it. But the soups are so easy i make them every 3 to 4 days and then just use the stock to vary the soup every day by adding different veggies.

coffeelover
09-21-2009, 04:21 AM
For you Salsa Lovers, here is a recipe from our local food coop.

Mango Salsa

4 each Mango, peeled and cubed
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 cups red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch scallions, chopped fine
2 each limes, juiced
2 TBSP Olive Oil
2 eaqch hot peppers, such as jalopeno or Serrano, seeded and chopped
1 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Mix all ingredients together

Let stand refrigerated for at least 1/2 hour or up to overnight for flavors to blend

Enjoy!
coffeelover

Sangye
09-21-2009, 05:34 AM
That sounds awesome!! I've always wondered how it's made.

Sangye
06-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm resuscitating this thread because there are some great recipes on here and I wanted to add another.

I made a bunch of lima beans today and wondered what I could do with the ones I didn't eat for lunch (with collard greens). I found this (http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/lima-bean-spread-cumin-herbs-recipe-5091) recipe online and ate it with celery sticks. Yummy! Even if you don't like lima beans, you'll like it. It's just like hummus. I'm copying it here in case the link disappears. I didn't have mint and it was still great. It's a great recipe for kids who don't want to eat their veggies and legumes.

Lima Bean Spread with Cumin and Herbs

1 bag(s) frozen lima beans
4 clove(s) garlic, crushed and peeled
1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh dill

Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lima beans, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until the beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in the liquid

Drain the beans and garlic. Transfer to a food processor. Add oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper; process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl, stir in mint, cilantro and dill.
Note: If your Pitta constitution is high, go easy on the garlic and crushed red pepper. Cilantro is balancing for all constitutions and is very nutritious for Weggies. Lima beans are very nutritious and high in some nutrients that benefit Weggies. Here's (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=59) a good overview of lima bean nutrients.

Col 23
06-06-2010, 10:01 AM
All the recipes sound yummy and I do cook and make some of these and will post some Aussie ones later.
However this is when I realise we are from different planets, your terminologies for some of the ingredients Ive never heard of.

Note to Cindy, what you first describe has been me to a T. The cravings and must haves have been awful when it comes to food since Ive been on
the "drug's". Everything you stated I can empathise and relate to. Its taken some time to realise that I should not stock the pantry with what ever I feel like.
Although I go with flow with what my body wants most days I have slowly become aware of what is going into body and am trying very hard after 6 months since Diagnose to look at the healthy alternatives. Ive never been a big eater but wow what Ive consumed in the last 6 months is unbelievable for me. Yes I cant fit into anything but some days it doesnt matter because I dont get out of my PJs. The taste buds are all mucked up, the eye drops give me yuk taste in the mouth and although I drink plenty of water nothing really seems to taste that good since the drugs except sweet stuff. I like this threat because it keeps reminding me to stick to the healthy stuff.
Col 23.

MCC
06-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Yum, that Lima Bean Spread sounds awesome Sangye.

I love this website for low fat, vegan recipes. I know no one here is vegan, but the recipes on here are so delicious and healthy you will love them too! : Fatfree Vegan Recipes (http://fatfreevegan.com/)

I might try making this soup today: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/05/25/middle-eastern-red-lentil-soup/ (http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/05/25/middle-eastern-red-lentil-soup/)
I love making soup, it's such a healthy food (if you use the right ingredients of course!) and you can control the levels of salt etc...and it's so easy.

MCC
06-06-2010, 10:28 AM
This looks great for a healthy treat for people with a sweet tooth! Banana-Cashew Balls | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/06/banana-cashew-balls.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FatfreeVeganBlog+%28Fatfree+V egan+Blog%29)

Sangye
06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
That looks yummy. Any idea how to make it without microwaving? I can't believe they put that in an otherwise healthy recipe!

MCC
06-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Oh yes I didn't look at the actual instructions! In the comments section she says a couple of things about microwaving. I would think they could be dried in the oven the same way.

Sangye
06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Great! I'd love to have the smell of bananas filling my house. :)

elephant
06-06-2010, 01:19 PM
These recipes look awesome! I need a good food processor.

Natalie
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
great Idea Sangye for a thread :) I was only just thinking that My sweet cravings and over eatting is getting WAY out of control , starting to really notice the weight gain and in turn bringing me down . This will be a great way to get everybody thinking about the right foods and not the wrong . My problem is knowing what to do with some of these more healthyer ingredients . Im good at soups and hearty meals but the lighter meals i struggle with .
I love my vegies and fruit but still need to work them into more meals and not just stick to a banana and then my same old vegies I eat every dinner time . cooked the same way . not that I dont like them I love them but variety will help keep me on the right track and not crave bad foods as much . ditch all the bad snacks and learn how to cook healthyer snacks .. those banana balls are what im getting at :) yumo

but am open to pick up some knowledge

Sangye
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Me too. I'm in a rut with the meals I prepare. Same veggies cooked the same way. :)

DEE
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
im sick off looking at carrots :) so yesterday took the time out to buy flat mushrooms and ended up stuffing with various other thing eg peppers etc
i thought i would also start to make my own veg kebabs so that i can use a more varied selection of veg
im also trying to find veg and fruit i would not normaly buy or have never tried
hubby growing some of these in his greenhouse !!!
its sweet things i have a problem with i know we blame preds for alsorts but i can honestly say im not normally a sweet person but since taking preds (still on 25mg) i could eat anthing sweet !! find myself talking myself out of it:) DEEx

Jack
06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Try roasting your veg.
Cut up any selection that you like - carrot, peppers, baby corn, unpeeled garlic cloves, onion - anything really. Toss it in a little oil with seasoning and then roast until it is just turning black at the edges.
The garlic turns out particularly well! :)

elephant
06-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Sounds good. Jack, I already ate your imaginary roasted veggies. Yum! I love sweet potatoe fries. Just cut up a sweet potato, and cut them long ways to look like a french fry. They will be thicker than a white potato. Put about one Table spoon of olive oil and pepper (your favorite seasoning), and mix with the sweet potato's and then layer them on a cookie sheet, cook at 450 for twenty minutes...but half way take out and turn the sweet potato fries. Oven varies so check on them.

DEE
06-07-2010, 11:10 PM
sounds good elephant will give the sweet potatoe recipe a go myself
i do new potatoe /salad potatoes the same way but put some thyme on them yum yum :) DEE x

Sangye
06-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Oh, these are great ideas! Jack, I totally forgot about roasting veggies.... LOL My current oven was unusable for over a year and I got out of the habit.

Elephant-- those sweet potato fries sound great, too.

Sangye
06-18-2010, 05:49 AM
I threw this stir-fry together and it turned out yummy (and balancing for Pitta and Kapha dominant constitutions):

1) Fresh salmon-- broil until it's 80% done

2) In olive oil, begin stir-fry of cabbage, broccoli and mushrooms until they are about 1/2 way cooked. Add the salmon (remove the skin from the salmon and break it into pieces) and finish cooking.

3) After putting it on the plate, drizzle a little bit of honey mustard dressing and add fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves on top.

You can add whatever spices you like-- I only added dill on top of the salmon while broiling and the dish was very flavorful.

If you're Pitta and/or Kapha dominant, the "oily" salmon aggravates both, but the cabbage and broccoli bring it into balance if you use enough of the veggies. It should be 2/3 veggies and 1/3 salmon. The honey mustard and cilantro also contribute towards balance as long as you don't go nuts with the honey mustard dressing.

elephant
06-18-2010, 08:58 AM
I love salmon. Sounds so good.

Sangye
06-27-2010, 05:25 AM
This is a recipe for a soup that strengthens the adrenal glands. It's very good for people in general, as most people have some degree of adrenal exhaustion. And anyone who's on pred or has been on pred has really unhappy adrenals. The recipe comes from a chiropractor who practices Applied Kinesiology (same as me), whose nickname is Taz. The recipe has become quite famous. It's great to make it for family members who are sick or just getting over a cold or flu. Strengthening the adrenal glands will help speed their recovery. It won't stimulate the adrenals so much that it bounces us out of our meds.

Taz Soup
16 oz. green beans
1 cup chopped celery
1 zucchini, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup spring water
2 tbsp. raw honey
1 tsp. paprika
1 cup chicken broth

Combine ingredients and simmer for one hour until vegetables are tender. Pepper to taste.

elephant
06-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Sounds good, I will make it soon!

pberggren1
06-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm getting hungry NOW!!!!

jola57
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Both sound delicious can't wait to try them out.

MCC
07-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Soon I'm going to try a semi raw food diet. After seeing the Food Matters film and reading more about it, it does seem this is very important for overall health.

I got a book out of the library which has some good recipes in it for smoothies for breakfast, yummy salads etc. If anyone is interested I can post some recipes?

elephant
07-09-2010, 02:47 PM
sounds good and good for us!

woodsman1972
09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Man, you guys are killing me! I'm heading out tomorrow to pick up some of these recipes. Thanks for the idea of "Tempeh", Sangye. I hate tofu, but this sounds like a great substitute. Being on a low sodium "renal diet" while on high doses of pred is terrible! Most everyone here can relate. All I do is snack. I haven't had pizza, potatoes, or grabbed a salt shaker in 6 weeks (I am still in my initial flare up/recently diagnosed). This thread is a great idea. I will try to contribute some ideas I've come up with. I will say that at least one benefit from being diagnosed is the ability to avoid those processed foods and really focus on healthy cooking again. Gotta look on the positive side, right? Thanks again for the recipes. Keep 'em coming.

jola57
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Woodsman unfortunatley my recepies are full of calories. Just the chicken soup is low in cal and very good for everything, even a cold. Instead of potatoes why don't you try boiled cauliflower sprinckled gently with very lightly fried bread crumbs in butter or oil. Yummy You can substitue green string beans or brussel sprouts for cauliflower.

pberggren1
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Woodsman unfortunatley my recepies are full of calories. Just the chicken soup is low in cal and very good for everything, even a cold. Instead of potatoes why don't you try boiled cauliflower sprinckled gently with very lightly fried bread crumbs in butter or oil. Yummy You can substitue green string beans or brussel sprouts for cauliflower.

That sounds good. Heading to the fridge now!:drool:

elephant
09-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I was watching the tv show called "Doctors" and they had a guy on the show...showing people how to eat healthy. One of the recipes was to chop up your cauliflower( wrap it up in tin foil) and bake it for about 20-30 minutes and put it in a blender or food processor and then add Greek yogurt ( because it is thick) and any spice too it....it's suppose to taste like mashed potato's.

Sangye
09-09-2010, 12:56 AM
I've never had to do the low potassium diet-- sounds extremely difficult and I have sympathy for those of you on it.

Woodsman, yeah-- tempeh is nothing like tofu. I don't like tofu, either. I'll eat it if someone has cooked it for me, but would never buy it. It's not a healthy food anyway-- highly processed. You get 20 gold stars for low-salt and no processed foods! It'll make a big difference in how you feel now and in the days to come.

jola57
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Elephant, that sound yummy. Can't wait to try it this weekend.

jola57
09-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Tonight I had a duck, my younger son was leaving back to Poland and my older leaves on Friday to UCL in London, so they both made me and my husband dinner. Instead of potatoes, they made lightly fried different types of peppers and carrots. Then added the duck with its sauce. It was delicious. Just like having them both at home. We are truly now empty nesters with both of them being so far away.

elephant
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Now Jolanta that sounds fabulous!

jola57
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
MMMMMMMM, had left overs now after getting back from the hospital (had a bone scan)

woodsman1972
09-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Sangye, the cauliflower and greek yogurt idea is great. Gonna try that. I miss potatoes with a passion. Since these restrictions on my diet, I have learned to love Greek yogurt, but the day I get the "all clear" a big steaming plate of fries, mashed taters, and chips will be consumed!!

pberggren1
09-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Sangye, the cauliflower and greek yogurt idea is great. Gonna try that. I miss potatoes with a passion. Since these restrictions on my diet, I have learned to love Greek yogurt, but the day I get the "all clear" a big steaming plate of fries, mashed taters, and chips will be consumed!!

Sorry to say but that "all clear" will never come.

jola57
09-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Aw Phil, you must be fealing low, there is always hope for all clear.
Woodsman, there is this thing called "cheating" Depending on your condition you could always "cheat" once in a blue moon. Ask your doctor maybe you will get the all clear for a day. Happy cheating.
Sangye, just tried the cauliflower and balkan style yogurt, it was delicious. I didn't mash it but prepared the yougurt with chopped dill and made a sauce and then poured it over the cauliflower. Today it will be your way.

Sangye
09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
The cauliflower and yogurt was Elephant's yummy idea. :drool:

jola57
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Yikes, pred strikes again. Sorry and thanks elephant

elephant
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I am glad you enjoyed it. I have been using Greek yogurt with almost everything...smoothie, on my baked potato...made crepes ( swedish pancakes) yesterday and put vanilla greek yogurt with a teaspoon of blueberry jam and rolled it up ....it was so good. Oh, i even made a dip out of it....honey greek yogurt with oregano, pepper, garlic, onion, basil, chili powder....I used wheat thins ( crackers).

Lightwarrior
09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I am glad you enjoyed it. I have been using Greek yogurt with almost everything...smoothie, on my baked potato...made crepes ( swedish pancakes) yesterday and put vanilla greek yogurt with a teaspoon of blueberry jam and rolled it up ....it was so good. Oh, i even made a dip out of it....honey greek yogurt with oregano, pepper, garlic, onion, basil, chili powder....I used wheat thins ( crackers).

I've had no appetite for three weeks and that sounds good!!

jola57
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Here is to sorting you out Lightwarrior. Hope you are feeling better soon and can try out some of these delish dish.

Sangye
09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Lightwarrior, why no appetite?

elephant
09-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Lightwarrior, I am guessing you have no appetite secondary to infection ( fevers), pain ( kidney stones), or other. When I had fevers like that, I didn't feel like eating much either.

Sangye
09-14-2010, 04:50 AM
I hadn't read the post about her current hospitalization. Makes sense that she has no appetite!

Lightwarrior
09-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Lightwarrior, I am guessing you have no appetite secondary to infection ( fevers), pain ( kidney stones), or other. When I had fevers like that, I didn't feel like eating much either.

I hope to shrink my stomach while I have no appetite although I know the meals I have missed are like a cup out of the ocean LOL I have to see the silver lining of this infection as an opportunity to still the pred hunger.

NicShaf
03-07-2012, 04:05 AM
I went to a cooking class last night, called "Cures from the Kitchen". The woman teaching the class has spent her life doing research on healthy food and how it effects the body. She had Breast Cancer at the age of 17, and relapsed at 27. after the second bout, she has maintained her remission solely by eating whole foods and balance in her life. It was an amazing story.
She emailed me the recipes we made last night, I've tasted them all and they are DELICIOUS!!! Enjoy!

P.S. My favorite was the Green Drink...it sounds wierd, but it is so good!

Homemade Almond Milk
Soak almonds over night, make sure they are covered with water. The next day, throw the water way and rinse one more time.
Ingredients
1 cup soaked almonds
3-4 cups water
Hemp Bag (or new stockings or a very clean old shirt would work)
Instructions:
Place the almonds and water in a good blender and blend until smooth. Then run through a hemp bag and squeeze the milk out . Note: if too think, add more water.
You can add cinnamon and hemp seeds if you need more nutrition.
Uses: as a replacement for cream in soups, base for smoothies or sorbets, cream for coffee, etc.

CAULIFLOWER SALAD
1/2 of a cauliflower head
1 small bunch of mint
1 bunch of Italian leaf parsley
1 juice of one lemon
1 tsp of Olive oil (optional)
2 green onions
Pinch of cayenne it is great
Salt to taste
Instruction:
Place the cauliflower, mint and parsley in the Cuisinart and pulse
until chop course.
Add lemon, oil and salt and let it seat for one hour. Enjoy it!

GREEN DRINK
1 cup of spinach
1/2 of a cucumber
1/2 cup of cilantro
1/2 an avocado
1 lemon juice only
1 cup of ice
1 cup of water
Salt to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Ginger is optional but wonderful
1 green apple optional
1 oz of Chlorophyll is a must
Place all of the ingredients in a good blender and blend until smooth.

This drink can be made ahead of time will last 2 days. The best benefit of this is fighting INFLAMMATION.

LEEK ASPARAGOS SOUP
2 leeks white part only
2 zucchini Slice thin
1 cup of Asparagus (slice in small parts)
1 cup of almond milk (best result homemade)
1 cup of water
Start with 1/2 teaspoons of herbamare and adjust if need it. (or spice
of your choice)
½ teaspoon of Mexican season from spice hunter
Cayenne if desire a kick!!!
Instruction:
Cut off roots and trim dark green tops from leeks. Discard any tough
outer leaves. Cut each leek lengthwise in half, then crosswise into
1/4-inch-wide slices. Rinse leeks thoroughly in large bowl of cold
water, swishing to remove sand. Transfer leeks to colander to drain,
Repeat process, changing water several
times, until all sand is removed.
Cut Zucchini lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide
slices. Then rinse with water. Then wash Asparagus and slice into thin
slices. In 4-quart saucepan, on medium add leeks, Asparagus, and Zucchini,
Almond milk, Herbamare spice, Mexican season and water. Cover and cook
on medium heat approximate 8 to 10 minutes do not overcook. Then
remove ½ of the soup and blend until smooth. Then returned the pure
soup to same saucepan with the remanding of the soup that is in the
saucepan. If too thick adjust almond milk.

QUINOA SALAD
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1/2 cup of slice baby tomatoes
1/2 cup of chop cilantro (you can add parsley instead)
1/2 cup of raw slice almond
1/2 cup of chop very thin raw broccoli or raw broccoli
1 avocado cut in little square if desire

When quinoa is cool down add the basil dressing then add the rest of
ingredients and mix together

BASIL DRESSING
10 to 20 leaves of Italian Basil (approximate)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Garlic Clove
2 tbsp of oil
3 tablespoons of water
Salt to taste
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until all is
smooth (approximate amounts, adjust to taste):
Usage: over Spinach Salad, Quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice or any green salad.

Sangye
03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Those are great recipes. That's a much healthier way to drink almond milk than store-bought.

(I don't agree that the Green Drink can last for 2 days though. It won't spoil or harm you to store it longer, but it will lose most of its active enzymes. When you make fresh fruit or veggie drinks they should be consumed immediately.)

pberggren1
11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for Santa Fe Chicken.

annekat
11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for Santa Fe Chicken. I don't, but I've been surprised at how easy it is to find recipes online by googling. But, of course, one from someone here would be more special!

Dirty Don
11-20-2012, 03:42 AM

First you travel to Santa Fe, find a live chicken, wring its neck......................................no? OK, then I got a recipe for Phoenix chicken...er, well toasted...LOL...now I really need coffee...

Lightwarrior
11-20-2012, 04:53 AM

I was born and raised in New Mexico and love it. Santa Fe is the state capital and therefore, I am thinking that with all the politicians there you should be looking for a recipe for Santa Fe Turkey (LOL)

pberggren1
11-20-2012, 05:57 AM
hardy har har

MCC
11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I went to a cooking class last night, called "Cures from the Kitchen". The woman teaching the class has spent her life doing research on healthy food and how it effects the body. She had Breast Cancer at the age of 17, and relapsed at 27. after the second bout, she has maintained her remission solely by eating whole foods and balance in her life. It was an amazing story.
She emailed me the recipes we made last night, I've tasted them all and they are DELICIOUS!!! Enjoy!

P.S. My favorite was the Green Drink...it sounds wierd, but it is so good!

Homemade Almond Milk
Soak almonds over night, make sure they are covered with water. The next day, throw the water way and rinse one more time.
Ingredients
1 cup soaked almonds
3-4 cups water
Hemp Bag (or new stockings or a very clean old shirt would work)
Instructions:
Place the almonds and water in a good blender and blend until smooth. Then run through a hemp bag and squeeze the milk out . Note: if too think, add more water.
You can add cinnamon and hemp seeds if you need more nutrition.
Uses: as a replacement for cream in soups, base for smoothies or sorbets, cream for coffee, etc.

CAULIFLOWER SALAD
1/2 of a cauliflower head
1 small bunch of mint
1 bunch of Italian leaf parsley
1 juice of one lemon
1 tsp of Olive oil (optional)
2 green onions
Pinch of cayenne it is great
Salt to taste
Instruction:
Place the cauliflower, mint and parsley in the Cuisinart and pulse
until chop course.
Add lemon, oil and salt and let it seat for one hour. Enjoy it!

GREEN DRINK
1 cup of spinach
1/2 of a cucumber
1/2 cup of cilantro
1/2 an avocado
1 lemon juice only
1 cup of ice
1 cup of water
Salt to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Ginger is optional but wonderful
1 green apple optional
1 oz of Chlorophyll is a must
Place all of the ingredients in a good blender and blend until smooth.

This drink can be made ahead of time will last 2 days. The best benefit of this is fighting INFLAMMATION.

LEEK ASPARAGOS SOUP
2 leeks white part only
2 zucchini Slice thin
1 cup of Asparagus (slice in small parts)
1 cup of almond milk (best result homemade)
1 cup of water
Start with 1/2 teaspoons of herbamare and adjust if need it. (or spice
of your choice)
½ teaspoon of Mexican season from spice hunter
Cayenne if desire a kick!!!
Instruction:
Cut off roots and trim dark green tops from leeks. Discard any tough
outer leaves. Cut each leek lengthwise in half, then crosswise into
1/4-inch-wide slices. Rinse leeks thoroughly in large bowl of cold
water, swishing to remove sand. Transfer leeks to colander to drain,
Repeat process, changing water several
times, until all sand is removed.
Cut Zucchini lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide
slices. Then rinse with water. Then wash Asparagus and slice into thin
slices. In 4-quart saucepan, on medium add leeks, Asparagus, and Zucchini,
Almond milk, Herbamare spice, Mexican season and water. Cover and cook
on medium heat approximate 8 to 10 minutes do not overcook. Then
remove ½ of the soup and blend until smooth. Then returned the pure
soup to same saucepan with the remanding of the soup that is in the
saucepan. If too thick adjust almond milk.

QUINOA SALAD
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1/2 cup of slice baby tomatoes
1/2 cup of chop cilantro (you can add parsley instead)
1/2 cup of raw slice almond
1/2 cup of chop very thin raw broccoli or raw broccoli
1 avocado cut in little square if desire

When quinoa is cool down add the basil dressing then add the rest of
ingredients and mix together

BASIL DRESSING
10 to 20 leaves of Italian Basil (approximate)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Garlic Clove
2 tbsp of oil
3 tablespoons of water
Salt to taste
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until all is
smooth (approximate amounts, adjust to taste):
Usage: over Spinach Salad, Quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice or any green salad.

That sounds great!! I believe completely in eating lots of raw food - fresh, organic if possible has all those great nutrients in it and is more natural (I manage about 60% raw).

Eat to Live plan is a good place to start: Eat To Live | Fast and Sustained Weight Loss | Healthy, Nutritous Diet that Prevents and Reverses Disease | DrFuhrman.com (http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/ETLBook.aspx)

annekat
11-20-2012, 10:59 AM
That sounds great!! I believe completely in eating lots of raw food - fresh, organic if possible has all those great nutrients in it and is more natural (I manage about 60% raw).

Eat to Live plan is a good place to start: Eat To Live | Fast and Sustained Weight Loss | Healthy, Nutritous Diet that Prevents and Reverses Disease | DrFuhrman.com (http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/ETLBook.aspx) Yes, back to the original topic of the thread! Sangye and I have been talking about root veggies on Twitter.... turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas. Still no Santa Fe Chicken, though......

pberggren1
11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't like raw meat though.