PDA

View Full Version : Socks for Swollen Legs

Sangye
08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I keep meaning to post this. If you have trouble with ankle or calf swelling and it's affecting wearing socks, you can buy "diabetic socks." They make them for men and women, in all styles (eg, colors, dress socks, athletic). The top band is a much looser weave than regular socks, so as your ankles or legs swell, the sock expands. They stay up just fine and feel/look like regular socks.

I love mine. I've told my Wegs docs to share it with their patients. None of them knew about them! This one little thing has made my life so much easier. :)

GeorgiaInOhio
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
OH MY GOSH! I was just told last week about diabetic socks, and it AMAZES ME how much this helped my ankle swelling! So it helps with the feet too! I actually found them at the DOLLAR STORE today! I was going to make a post about it, and there was yours! They seem to be good socks so far. I bet they will wear out quicker then the nice doctor schols ones i got at walmart, but for a dollar, you cant beat it. They really do work! Sangye is absolutely right. I was having such bad swelling i couldnt take it, and this simple pair of socks helped tremendously. You can also find them on ebay at a great price if anyone isnt around a dollar store or walmart. :D

jola57
08-11-2009, 03:23 AM
I used my London Drugs socks in the aeroplane over the past year every time and they work great. But I use the low compression socks Sangye, the diabetic socks seems to have to low a weave to contain my swelling. Mind I have never tried them and will do so maybe they will work without the squeeze.

Sangye
08-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Jolanta, there's a difference between diabetic and compression stockings. I only figured this out a couple months ago!

Diabetic socks are to accommodate swelling and are padded a bit more on the soles to help prevent foot injuries. They don't do anything FOR swelling, they just keep the sock from strangling your feet if they do swell.

Compression stockings are just that-- they compress the feet and legs to increase circulation upwards. Use the lowest compression unless you've had clots.

jola57
08-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Thanks, i wondered why the diabetic socks were so for better word sloppy, i thought they would contain the swelling but I guess because the diabetics need protection more than swelling control they are so loose