PDA

View Full Version : MTX and gout

vdub
12-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I guess the odds caught up with. I've had a severe case of gout in the left big toe for about 3 days now. Hurts like crazy and the drug to treat it makes you nauseas. Doc says it was probably caused by the mtx.

Review: Gout in Methotrexate- eHealthMe (http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/methotrexate/gout)

drz
12-13-2013, 06:35 PM
I guess the odds caught up with. I've had a severe case of gout in the left big toe for about 3 days now. Hurts like crazy and the drug to treat it makes you nauseas. Doc says it was probably caused by the mtx.

Review: Gout in Methotrexate- eHealthMe (http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/methotrexate/gout)

OUCH! Sounds like horrible time for you. Sorry to hear about your discomfort.

windchime
12-14-2013, 05:28 AM
I have high uric acid levels which cause gout and had to stop taking the allopurinol because of the CTX. Hoping I don't get gout as my poor feet have enough issues. Good luck with your gout and may it end soon.

gilders
12-14-2013, 05:42 AM
I have gout due to kidney damage (high uric acid) and it's no fun. Add the Morton's neuroma and rheumatism and I feel like doing a self amputation on my left foot!
Make sure you drink plenty of water to try and dissolve the crystals.

vdub
12-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I was traveling (as we usually are) when I got the gout, so I saw a doctor at an "urgent care" 24-hr clinic. Since it wasn't one of my normal docs, I faxed "my team" the details of the situation. My rheumy came back with several changes to the medication as well as additional blood work. All this was handled with my e-mail fax service, which has been invaluable to me, so I thought I'd mention it.

The service is called faxaway (http://www.faxaway.com (http://www.faxaway.com/)). It is essentially free. They give you your own fax number (in Seattle) and all inbound faxes are totally free. Outbound faxes are a nominal expense and there is a nominal annual maintenance fee of maybe $10, but I'm not certain. Any faxes received at my fax number are immediately turned into a .pdf (or .tiff if I wanted), attached to an e-mail and sent to me. The same is true for outbound faxes; I just attach a document to an e-mail, send it to my faxaway account and it is forwarded, as a fax, to whoever I specify.

I started looking into a cheap fax service when I had trouble getting my lab results. Many (maybe MOST) labs won't give lab results to the individual they took the blood from. It's a policy on their part and not a law. However, the labs, in almost all cases, will fax the results, without question, to any fax number you give them. So, I give them my fax number and I always get my results the same time the doc does.

If anyone wants to discuss the fax service, we should probably start a new thread.

pberggren1
12-14-2013, 05:09 PM
I remember you telling me about that fax service vdub. I think it is a great idea. I might even try that myself, but as soon as my doc office gets it they scan it and send everything to me in an e-mail so no issues there. I was surprised one time. I had barely gotten back home from the lab and some running around and I already had an e-mail from them with most of my results.

I'm sorry to hear about your gout flare up vdub. I hope with your changes in meds this will help clear it up. Was this ordered from your Rheumy in Spokane?

vdub
12-14-2013, 05:22 PM
The rheumy in spokane ordered the change, but the initial drugs were from the clinic doc. The drugs are slowly helping.

I think we'll head home for the rest of the winter. The last few months have really been tough for me.

Maybe if I can get some rest we can go to england this spring. I have to see the WWII museum before its to late.

pberggren1
12-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Oh man, you have not really been up to par since you had your thyroid out, right? That sure sucks you have to come home to winter.....:sad: I would love to travel to a warmer climate for winters. I hope you can make to England, all of Europe is so nice. Where is the WWII museum located?

Alysia
12-14-2013, 06:32 PM
That sure sucks you have to come home to winter.....:sad: I would love to travel to a warmer climate for winters. I hope you can make to England, all of Europe is so nice.

Israel is warmer then Europe :wink1:

vdub
12-15-2013, 04:15 AM
I would love to see Israel! And that's the problem.... There are too many places I'd love to see. My endo has already ruled out a number of places I can't go to because of med issues, but Israel isn't one of them, so you never know.

Alysia
12-15-2013, 04:44 AM
I would love to see Israel! And that's the problem.... There are too many places I'd love to see. My endo has already ruled out a number of places I can't go to because of med issues, but Israel isn't one of them, so you never know.

aww Vdub, Israel is a safe place if you are considering medical issues (sometimes it is not a safe place because of islamic terror, but I think this issue is not allowed here). there are not much weggies here, and not such a thing as wg-expert. but still lovely places to see and warm weather, usually.... except from this weekend which is very stormy, including rare snow in Jerusalem.
and.... there is me in Israel :biggrin1:
maybe we should arrange a forum meeting someday here, it seems to be in the middle....
now, its time to Putin, since I went far away from the topic...

:back on topic:

gilders
12-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Maybe if I can get some rest we can go to england this spring. I have to see the WWII museum before its to late.

If you need any help in planning a trip to England I can offer lot's of advice. I love to travel to warmer climates, but also travel around England (I live in Yorkshire).

Debbie C
12-15-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd love to come there also. When I worked for the airlines and I had an opportunity to travel alot but didn't do nearly as much I as I wished I would have. I need to win the lottery now.
Alysia, I saw where there was snow over your way on the t.v. and was thinking about you. We got about 6 inches now and it's still coming down.

pberggren1
12-15-2013, 03:21 PM
vdub, I'm curious which places your doc does not want you to visit and why?

vdub
12-15-2013, 06:12 PM
She doesn't want me going to areas without good western medical services. Many parts of Africa, most of southeast Asia, Iraq, and Afghanistan would all be examples. She's not to warm on me going to MX, because if I can't hold my meds down, then I have to switch to the injectables. Its all about "no pit". Its not a wegs thing.

She's not to keen on me going on cruises, but I take the risk and a handful of syringes.

(I accidently started to edit your post instead of reply. The tablet keyboard is a bit difficult at times. Sorry)

pberggren1
12-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Okay, that makes sense.