PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone Side Effect

Sangye
08-09-2009, 05:31 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/25/unushalhare128588940861691936.jpg (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)
http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://ihasahotdog.com%22%3E%3Cimg%20class=%22mine_141733 2%22%20style=%22word-spacing:1417332px;font-size:1417332px;%22%20src=%22http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/25/unushalhare128588940861691936.jpg%22%20alt=%22unus hal%20hare%20gwowth%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E%3Cbr%20/%3Esee%20more%20%3Ca%20href=%22http://ihasahotdog.com%22%3Edog%20and%20puppy%20pictures% 3C/a%3Ehttp://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://ihasahotdog.com%22%3E%3Cimg%20class=%22mine_141733 2%22%20style=%22word-spacing:1417332px;font-size:1417332px;%22%20src=%22http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/25/unushalhare128588940861691936.jpg%22%20alt=%22unus hal%20hare%20gwowth%22%20/%3E

GeorgiaInOhio
08-09-2009, 06:29 AM
LMAO haha, so true!

crackers
08-09-2009, 09:23 AM
don't have a problem with hair growth,in fact quite the opposite.it's skin growth that's the problem or the sumo effect as i call it.
john.

Sangye
08-09-2009, 10:52 AM
John, that's because you're a guy. Pred causes major facial hair growth for women and bizarre changes to body hair.

crackers
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
thanks sangye,i understand now.
john.

Doug
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Great laugh! Thanks!:):):):)

Jack
08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
The hair growth on my arms and shoulders went mad. The same did not happen to the top of my head! :rolleyes:

Sangye
08-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Do you look like Robin Williams?

coffeelover
08-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I love the pic!

Speaking of hair...Besides the pred I am on mexotrexate and noticed that after 6 months my hair on my head is different. Frizzier, not so managable and very dry. I guess I am happy I still have hair. It is just that my hair used to be so easy to work with and now has become somewhat unmanagable....oh well...this too shall pass.
or not
LIsa

Doug
08-10-2009, 04:22 AM
.,..and I thought you'd worked to get that effect! (Which I thought looked rather nice!) :):)

Sangye
08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
I didn't know mtx did that. Ctx often changes hair by making it curly, since it alters the DNA. Mtx is chemo, too.

Ever since I was on ctx 3 yrs ago, my hair "bends" closer to the root. I don't have much, of course, but it doesn't stand up straight like it used to. It used to be pretty curly, but the curl started a few inches out from the root.

sumsum5587
08-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I started taking Ctx while I was in the hospital back in Feb. 09'. And after about two or three week of taking it i got out of the hospital shower and my mom was going to try to brush my hair and it started comeing out so bad she couldn't even brush it.. we had to just jull it up.. :( it thinned my hair out ALOT but it didn't all come out thank GOD!!!:) And i do have alot more hair on my arms now and its also a lighter color too. And I don't have to shave my legs no where near as much as i used too!!:D I Know thats crazy lol.. some of its falling out, changing colors, growing too much, and growing too slow...lol But im on Mtx now and my hair seems to still be thinning:(... mostly when i try to brush it after i get out of the shower.. so i don't even brush it anymore i just run my fingers thrugh it and try to keep it pulled up and as light as i can...

Luce
08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I've also had hair issues on ctx - I lost a lot too on my first 3 month cycle, not so much on the second cycle and now I'm on CellCept it's starting to grow back. However it is coming through wavy and much drier than before - I've never had to use so much intensive conditioner in my life! Also I have lots of unruly strands about 6 inches long that stand up and require smoothing down all the time.
I've had it cut shorter than I'm used to and I think if I keep hacking a few inches off eventually I'll have lovely wavy locks in time for my wedding in April.

Sangye
08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
On ctx my hair thinned out a lot. I was on it for about 8 months. It took a long time to start growing back in (my hair used to grow crazy fast)-- I think it was at least a year. It's never been as thick as it was. It's too early to tell what the ctx will do this time.

Summer, the loss of hair in some places and increase of it in others is due to ctx and pred. The ctx made my leg hair stop growing. But about 2 years after getting off pred, it started growing in with a very bizarre pattern. I described it on here once before-- only on the front of my lower legs, from knee to ankle a 3-inch wide strip of extremely long,thick and dark hair (over 1 inch long!). The rest of my lower legs had almost no hair. It truly looks like someone has glued on a gorilla costume. It's still going on, and when any docs see it, they just shrug and say, "Steroids, I guess." It's proof that even when you stop the steroids, they're still causing imbalances for many years-- as if your body was still on them.

capabayan
08-11-2009, 01:10 AM
For those of you with thinning hair problems... I used to have long, thick hair until I got on the cytoxan. That thinned it so much it looked horrible, not to mention I couldn't do much of anything with it!! It also just kind of stopped growing, though what I had didn't actually "fall out."
But I found a product that helped tremendously - Shaklee Instant Protein Soy Mix. Just mix it in juice or milk once a day... the soy and extra protein have made a huge difference. I personally have it in orange juice every morning with my bucket-load of medications... My hair actually started REgrowing, while I was still on the cytoxan, and though I still have to spend more time than I like on it getting it to look presentable, it is finally getting back "normal"!!
Maybe it could help some of you... just wanted to share what worked for me!

jola57
08-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Hair, the bane of my existance. Actualy my hair curled after cyclo, so the perk was I didn't have to spend a dime on perm. It has thinned out quite a bit and is now dry and unmanagable but I keep it short and glob a lot of moisturizers and leave in conditioners. After 10 months of cyclo it finaly lost its curl so I'm back to wavy. However yesterday I took my first dose of mtx and today after wetting my hair its curly again. O happy days.

coffeelover
08-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I am having this same trouble with my hair and I am on MXT and pred.

I hate my hair....but should be happy I still have some
I texted my hair dresser today and told her I wanted a tight perm since my hair in unmanagable frizzy now. She told me that I would join the ranks of the "old ladies" if I did that. Not sure if I want to be that old lady yet???
coffeelover

jola57
08-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I guess old lady hair is better than frizz. Mine was curly yesterday and crazy today. so I'll just wait and see. took my first 6 pills mtx sunday and now will wait and see after I guess 3 months as to what is happening to my body. right? any thoughts about mtx and how quickly I'll see the results?

Doug
08-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I guess old lady hair is better than frizz. Mine was curly yesterday and crazy today. so I'll just wait and see. took my first 6 pills mtx sunday and now will wait and see after I guess 3 months as to what is happening to my body. right? any thoughts about mtx and how quickly I'll see the results?

Jolanta- I started to post a comment on exercise in the swimming pool (You mentioned therapeutic swimming would require a trip from Mission to Vancouver....) and lost mhy place when I went to see if the Canadian Red Cross offered adaptive aquatics. It did n't look like it, but I went to the adaptive aquatics site, and there was a citation for that organization and a book published with its blessings. Now I have to go out of this again to relocate it because of annoying technical problems- - see you again, soon!:) CCanadian Red Cross Society (1980). Manual for teaching swimming to the disabled. Toronto, Ontario: Aanadian Red Cross Society (1980). Manual for teaching swimming to the disabled. Toronto, Ontario: A

jola57
08-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks Doug, if only the water was a bit warmer. With my Hashimoto's everything is always soo cold.

coffeelover
08-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Back to hair. My did not show signs of thinning on the mxt until I had been on it for about 3-4 months. The texture did change almost right away though. Maybe it would have anyway? I am getting old (er)

coffee anyone?

Jack
08-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Yes please. Strong, no sugar, plenty of milk. :)

coffeelover
08-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Yes please. Strong, no sugar, plenty of milk. :)

Maybe a "skinney Latte" would suffice with double expresso?

Jack
08-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Sounds good to me. :)

(Now that you have got me thinking about it, I'm going to have to go and make myself one!)

Cindy M
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I am a little late on the this conversation of hair, but I guess the only thing good about Preds (I am thinking it is because of preds) is that my hair seems to be a little thicker on top. I have always had thick hair in the back but started thinning on the top and front (family history) and being a female I have tried alot of products and styles. Now I seem to have a bit more hair on top, including the dreaded facial hair. I am on preds, cyclo and ritixan, the texture of my hair doesn't seem to have changed to much, maybe just a little dryer.

firecracker
08-18-2009, 07:57 AM
I was on methotrexate from sept 2008 til may 2009 and almost done tapering off of the prednisone. In january, about half my hair thickness .. disappeared. my hair just came out from the roots and the rest broke off in the middle. I now have the "afro" effect in new hair growth. My chipmunk cheeks are gone now but not the 22 lbs i gained. Although i was 88lbs so it was needed. The hunger has tapered off as well. Ive been using Nioxin shampoo, and the rest of the steps it has and it seemed to help right away in helping hair grow back pretty fast. It helped a lot a few years ago when I got poisoned and lost a lot of hair back then too. it grew back the thickest ever so i am hoping for the same response this time.

jola57
08-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I just started on mtx, cyclo has thinned my hair but not that much already, so i am hoping mtx willnot do the rest.

firecracker
08-24-2009, 08:38 AM
:D
I just started on mtx, cyclo has thinned my hair but not that much already, so i am hoping mtx willnot do the rest.
my hair is definitly drier than ever but i have found nioxin which was recommended by a few hair "dressers"? what do they call them now. anyway... its a little high on price but not too bad and REALLY worth it. i have been poisoned and had my hair break off all over diff lengths and fall out at the roots. i used that and it grew back thicker then ever in my life. it was great til i got on methotrexate and prednisone. after 4 ish months of that stuff, my hair broke off and again fell out at the roots. i still have hair. in fact... it doesnt look that thin but to me.. it sucks. i can see the spots that are super thin and where it broke off in the middle of my back higher then the rest. i am again using nioxin and already have almost two inches of new "frizzy" hair.. but hey, its hair lol.

jola57
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm ready to try anything. Maybe I can find some here if not I will take a trip to Bellingham. My hair is getting quite frizzy now and babyfine. At least its not falling out quite as much as before.

coffeelover
08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
:D
my hair is definitly drier than ever but i have found nioxin

I had recently heard this same thing.

I had that perm put in and my frizzy, thinning hair looks at least a bit more like it is supposed to. Nioxin next

Good advice
Lisa