PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Ear?

rebekah
12-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I have ear pain even when wegs is under control. However, a little blood accompanied the pain Thursday night. I messaged my doctor to let her know, but I knew I wouldn't hear back until Monday since it's a holiday weekend. I was okay and not worrying about it, until it just happened again. I've never had blood in my ear before now. I'm thinking it is just an ear infection, and I plan to call my ENT Monday morning but was wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

annekat
12-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Not much insight except that I've had some ear infections, as have many here. If you have one, it could be on either side of the eardrum. The normal serious Wegs ear infection is on the inner side of the eardrum, in the middle ear, and can occur because of the inflammation in the eustachian tubes blocking any drainage so fluid collects in there and an infection starts and gets worse. If there's blood in your ear in that case, it would have to get through a hole in your eardrum for you to see it. Also, a burst eardrum itself can cause bleeding and may be very painful. With my big middle ear infection, there was no observable blood, though the eardrums had burst, but weren't painful. I've also had an outer ear infection, also called swimmer's ear, in the part you can stick your finger in, and in that case the skin in there can get very irritated and can bleed, and in my case, this took a long time to heal, and there was some blood if I stuck a finger or swab in there. My ENT thought it had started from a minor middle ear infection that leaked through a small hole in my eardrum and infected the outer ear, but I think there could be other ways for an infection to start there.. So anyway, I'm wondering whether the blood is actually coming from your middle ear or outer ear canal. I'm sure your ENT can explain it a lot better than I can! And either way, she can give you an oral antibiotic and/or some drops to put into your ear.

Alysia
12-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Hi Rebekah,
I am sorry that you have it. I hope that you can talk with your doc soon and find out what it is. when I was a child I had a lot of ear's infections, and I remeber having also blood coming out of my ears.
is it painful ? is it still bleeding ? do you have fever ?

mishb
12-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I also had many many ear infections when I was a child, but I don't remember them bleeding at all.

My sister had a burst ear drum and she had a lot of bleeding.

Is it a lot of blood or a little. If a lot, I would get to the ER
Otherwise, I hope you can get in to see your ENT and get some help quickly.

rebekah
12-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks, Anne, you did a pretty good job of explaining it and providing good information. I wonder what part of the ear it's coming from too. When I find out, I'll let you know.

It was only a little bit on Thanksgiving and a little bit last night. I have pain (and the usual tinnitus and popping), sometimes worse than others, but not more than usual. No fever. If there is more blood, I guess I should be a good patient and go to the hospital. I just hate getting those bills in the mail...

annekat
12-02-2013, 03:00 AM
I can certainly understand wanting to avoid the hospital. If it were me, I think I'd just wait until I could see my ENT. However, if you get a high fever or something, then I guess I would go to the ER, unless a doc's appt. is imminent.

When both my ears were full of infection, and it was the weekend, I went to an ER to see if they could lance the eardrums to relieve the pressure and drain what was in there. It turned out they don't even do that, I'd have to go to a university med school ER 60 miles away for that. I thought that was weird. They just gave me some antibiotic drops and referred me to an ENT for later that week, and he treated the infection with oral and IV antibiotics, as well as drops, over the next couple weeks. Didn't know I had Wegs until 2.5 years later, after numerous sinus infections, etc. Anyway, it turned out my eardrums already had holes in them from the pressure of the infection, and I don't know why the ER doc couldn't have told me that... after all, there was pus coming out of my ears. I just didn't understand the anatomy at all at that time. Still probably don't! It's amazing how such little tiny structures inside our heads can be so complicated and intricate.

Alysia
12-02-2013, 05:24 AM
the only thing that helped my infected ears was pred. 60mg.

rebekah
12-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Oh boy, I don't want to hear that, Alysia. I'm on 50mg pred and want to get off this stuff asap. lol Glad it helped your ear infection though.

Debbie C
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
I think that was probably one of my first signs of wg that went unnoticed. I went to my then pcp who said I had an inner ear infection and put me on antibiotics,went back a week later when my ear was still bad and he was on vacation so the other dr. in his office said I had a middle ear infection put me on different antibiotics...finally went to a ear dr. said I had an outer ear infection..tried a 3rd antibiotic. Ending up VERY sick with c-diff from all the antibiotics. Was in the er dilerious from being so sick thinking all I need is this infection out of me. They wanted to admit me but I had an appt. with another ear dr the next a.m. so I left, he cleaned my ear and said I needed a tube inserted. I left there ,went back,got admitted into the hosp. for c-diff where I meant my current ent who said I didn't even have an infection but my ear drum was just swollen. WELL for the past 10 days I have had a staff infection in the top portion of my ear and he gave me an antibiotic cream to put on it.I used it for about 6 days and my top of my ear swelled up and the side of my face hurt and my eye keeps twitching !!!!! I go see him tommorrow to see whats up then I am going to the er.My stomach feels like I have been kicked by a horse.I have been doubled over in pain for 2 days. I don't know if it is my hernia or what.But I hate going to the er where they don't have a clue and I usually get sent home for something completely different.
My ear was (just the top portion ) swollen and crusting, I thought something bit me but had a little blood on the q-tip when I put the med. on it,it never really bleed. I hope they get yours right the first time Rebekah!!! Let us know.

annekat
12-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Sheesh, Debra, that sounds like quite an ordeal. I, too, had an antibiotic resistant ear infection and it took several different ones to kill what my ENT called a "really weird bug.." I was on 50 or 60mg. pred at the same time, but it was a short taper of 10 days or so. That was my first ever experience with pred. Little did I know. I'm sure the pred helped the inflammation but I think only antibiotics could kill the bug, unless it just died out on its own. My doc took a sample to try to culture it, but I guess he waited too long and he couldn't grow it in the petri dish so he never found out what it was. No one thought of Wegs, of course. I've heard of at least several on here whose first big Wegs event was such an ear infection and they still didn't get dx'ed for a few years in many cases.

Deb, sorry about the more recent stuff involving your outer ear. That sounds awful.

Alysia
12-03-2013, 02:28 AM
I think that was probably one of my first signs of wg that went unnoticed. I went to my then pcp who said I had an inner ear infection and put me on antibiotics,went back a week later when my ear was still bad and he was on vacation so the other dr. in his office said I had a middle ear infection put me on different antibiotics...finally went to a ear dr. said I had an outer ear infection..tried a 3rd antibiotic. Ending up VERY sick with c-diff from all the antibiotics. Was in the er dilerious from being so sick thinking all I need is this infection out of me. They wanted to admit me but I had an appt. with another ear dr the next a.m. so I left, he cleaned my ear and said I needed a tube inserted. I left there ,went back,got admitted into the hosp. for c-diff where I meant my current ent who said I didn't even have an infection but my ear drum was just swollen. WELL for the past 10 days I have had a staff infection in the top portion of my ear and he gave me an antibiotic cream to put on it.I used it for about 6 days and my top of my ear swelled up and the side of my face hurt and my eye keeps twitching !!!!! I go see him tommorrow to see whats up then I am going to the er.My stomach feels like I have been kicked by a horse.I have been doubled over in pain for 2 days. I don't know if it is my hernia or what.But I hate going to the er where they don't have a clue and I usually get sent home for something completely different.
My ear was (just the top portion ) swollen and crusting, I thought something bit me but had a little blood on the q-tip when I put the med. on it,it never really bleed. I hope they get yours right the first time Rebekah!!! Let us know.

oh no, Debra, I am sorry to hear about your ear. I used to have pains in the "outer" ear also, but I didn't know if it was wg-related. it was just coming and going.
I hope that you can find out soon what it is and heal it.
as for your stomach, maybe it is "reacting" to the stress of the ear-issue. my stomach is always "talking" my stresses.
big hug for you and take care. update us. :hug2:

rebekah
12-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your past and current ear troubles, Debra. I hope things are at least a little better today. I haven't experienced your current ear problem, but I do hope your appointment goes well and your doctor has the right answer for your ear problem. And I feel your pain about hospitals, it always seems they don't have an answer for what I went there for and I come out learning I have something else wrong with me. I hope that doesn't happen to you tomorrow... I wish for an answer for your stomach pain and no new diagnosis. We have enough to deal with already.

I got an appointment with the ENT on Wednesday. An ear infection is bad enough, but I hope it's just an ear infection and can be treated with antibiotics.

annekat
12-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I got an appointment with the ENT on Wednesday. An ear infection is bad enough, but I hope it's just an ear infection and can be treated with antibiotics. I hope, too, that it turns out to be just a moderate ear infection, and not one like mine that destroyed part of my hearing. The blocked eustachian tubes have destroyed it further, to the point where I wear aids. I wonder if they could put tubes in your eardrums to facilitate drainage of fluid, making ear infections less likely. In my case, the ENT said that wouldn't work, and didn't really explain why; it might be because my "fluid" has become too thick to drain, a condition called "glue ear", or because my eardrums are so caved in that inserting the tubes might damage the delicate bones on the other side. Those are just theories, and the glue ear theory may be the most likely.

drz
12-05-2013, 11:01 AM

I agree that generally ER docs and most primary care physicians are clueless about GPA and how to treat it or manage it but i often used them anyway since they can order lab work to help me understand what is going on. They can and do order antibiotics when you have or think you have an infection that needs to be treated, and some times they can diagnose another new problem that requires treatment or attention. Like Al and Jack were fond of saying, just because you have GPA doesn't mean you can't have another problem too.

rebekah
12-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I saw my ENT today. I have a middle ear infection and a ruptured eardrum, so I'm on Amoxicillin.

I hope things are okay for you, Debra.

annekat
12-05-2013, 01:31 PM
I saw my ENT today. I have a middle ear infection and a ruptured eardrum, so I'm on Amoxicillin.

I hope things are okay for you, Debra. Aha! Sorry to hear that, Rebekah. Amoxicillin is one of the antibiotics that didn't work on my big ear infection, in both ears, that ushered in my Wegs. But your Wegs has already been ushered in, so maybe this will be more low key and able to be treated easily. I hope so, though I'm not sure what my reasoning is there. I hope yours gets cleared up a lot faster than mine did and your ear gets back to normal soon! As for the ruptured eardrum, the holes in mine were pretty big, but they did heal eventually.

rebekah
12-05-2013, 01:46 PM
I hope Amoxicillin works for me. I guess time will tell. Yes, my ENT said the eardrum should heal on it's own, but in some cases it doesn't and we'll deal with that if need be. Sorry your infection lasted so long, but I'm glad your eardrum healed on its own. I'm scheduled for blood work Friday, but I'm wondering if I should reschedule it for next week before I see my rheumy since can't an infection cause an elevated sed rate? Or am I thinking wrong?

annekat
12-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I hope Amoxicillin works for me. I guess time will tell. Yes, my ENT said the eardrum should heal on it's own, but in some cases it doesn't and we'll deal with that if need be. Sorry your infection lasted so long, but I'm glad your eardrum healed on its own. I'm scheduled for blood work Friday, but I'm wondering if I should reschedule it for next week before I see my rheumy since can't an infection cause an elevated sed rate? Or am I thinking wrong? I don't think there's any reason to think that antibiotic won't work. I think mine was an extra severe case, and the one that finally worked was Levaquin, a "big gun". I think I'd had the infection for a week or two before even seeing a doc about it, and it got extra bad. I went to my PA and then to an ER at one point, and then got referred to the ENT whom I still have. As for your last question, I guess I'd call the rheumy and see if I should reschedule, if I were you, though I don't know that much.

mishb
12-05-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear that it is an infection and ruptured eardrum Rebekah, but I'm glad you got an answer and was basically what we thought it would be :sad:

I was just telling someone else on fb, that an ear infection can cause your crp and esr levels to be elevated due to the infection and inflammation.
I would try to re-schedule for a few days, to let the antibiotics take effect.

Alysia
12-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Hi Rebekah,
I am sorry that you had that infection but glad that the treatment is simple. I just finished 10 days of amoxcilin for my throat... yummy :wink1:
I hope the eardrum will heal fast.
keep your ears warm in that snow and cold you have there :hug1:

annekat
12-06-2013, 03:42 AM
In retrospect, I'm not sure I had amoxicillin.... I think the ENT was going to prescribe it but then heard that the two previous antibiotics prescribed by my PA hadn't worked so decided to go with an even stronger one, Levaquin. Your case sounds more straightforward.

Debbie C
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Rebekah,I'm glad you found out what the problem is and it isn't terribly BAD. How did you rupture your eardrum and why was it bleeding ? I hope the antibiatics kick in fast and you feel better soon.

rebekah
12-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I had a middle ear infection and the fluid built up behind the eardrum. As the pressure increases it can cause the eardrum to rupture. I was worried this was a sign I was flaring, again, but my doctor said that it doesn't mean I am. Thank goodness. And thanks, Michelle, my doctor said to wait for blood work too. I'll go Wednesday now.

We're supposed to get a few inches of snow tomorrow, and I'm so excited. I've been waiting for enough snow to make snowmen and snow angels (being from Florida, I'm like a little kid and get excited every time it snows), but now I have to be careful playing in the snow. I'll be sure to stay warm and protect my ears.

Pete
12-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Have fun in the snow. If it's all the same to you, I'll just look out the window and watch. Looks like the rate of snow fall is ramping up just now. (Local weather says 4"-9" by Saturday morning.)

annekat
12-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Have fun in the snow. If it's all the same to you, I'll just look out the window and watch. Looks like the rate of snow fall is ramping up just now. (Local weather says 4"-9" by Saturday morning.) I'd gladly have a little snow if the temperatures would warm up a bit..... right now it's clear and windy and bitter cold. -9C at night and just a little above 0C in the day, very cold for here. We may get some snow when it warms up on Monday, but it will then change to rain, which is more typical for here. 4"-9" can be fun and pretty if it doesn't stick around for long.

rebekah
12-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Looking out the window is just fine, Pete.The snow has barely covered the grass, but that didn't stop me from making snow angels on campus. I ruined a pair of jeans, but it was worth it. I had so much fun making my first snow angel I had to make two.

annekat
12-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Looking out the window is just fine, Pete.The snow has barely covered the grass, but that didn't stop me from making snow angels on campus. I ruined a pair of jeans, but it was worth it. I had so much fun making my first snow angel I had to make two. I'm glad you are having fun, Rebekah!

Debbie C
12-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm like you Pete,I'd rather look at it though my window. I'd much rather be walking the beach. The first snowfall is beautiful,especially in the park with it on all the trees. I came back from my endoscopy today and passed out on the couch in the family room, I sat up for a minute,looked out our big window, saw all the snow and said Holly Molly and laid back down and passed out again.And winter hasn't even started yet ! UCKKKK !!!!!

rebekah
12-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I hope the endoscopy went well and you're feeling better, Debra. I used to always say I prefer the beach to snow, but now that I'm up here, I'm having so much fun playing in the snow. Just trying to make the best of the move. That being said, I'm going back to Florida to visit friends in a week and all that's planned is a trip to Busch Gardens and beach days. I may love the snow, but you're right, nothing is better than the beach. :)

Debbie C
12-08-2013, 03:27 AM
I'm jealous Rebekah !!! I'm supposed to go in Jan for about 6 weeks but I have to see how things are on the homefront. Hope you have a great time !!!!!

windchime
12-08-2013, 04:07 AM
If you all come to Florida let me know maybe we can meet up. Not to rub it in but it was 84 yesterday with no humidity. :flapper:

Debbie C
12-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Andrew needs to put an "unlike" button on here !!! Where at in Orlando do you live ? I still have alot of friends that live there. Do you work anywhere there ?

annekat
12-08-2013, 05:42 PM
A nice warm beach sounds pretty good to me right now. 84 degrees.... not rubbing it in, eh? And no humidity must be a huge plus, from one who has never experienced east coast humidity.

windchime
12-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Andrew needs to put an "unlike" button on here !!! Where at in Orlando do you live ? I still have alot of friends that live there. Do you work anywhere there ?

Debra I live just south of downtown in Belle Isle. I work at the Ritz Carlton Spa which is about 15 minutes from here and near Sea World. Well, when I'm not on a leave of absence I work there.

Anne, I went from the misty rain and cloudy skies to and down pours when I moved here. Took some getting used to. Went back for a visit and the overcast sky made me feel claustrophobic. Should have known not to visit in November. I still love it up there however.

annekat
12-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Anne, I went from the misty rain and cloudy skies to and down pours when I moved here. Took some getting used to. Went back for a visit and the overcast sky made me feel claustrophobic. Should have known not to visit in November. I still love it up there however.

Well, there is a lot of variety in the weather here, it doesn't just rain all the time. In November, you could just as easily have gotten clear skies the whole time you were here.... trouble is, it would have been colder in temperature than during the cloudy, rainy periods. Just lately it's been crisp, clear, and VERY cold. This causes problems with freezing pipes, running out of firewood, and the like. We are just not as well prepared for that as people farther north, like Canada, or to the east, like Idaho or Montana. Going back to the warmer, rainier, cloudier stuff will be a bit of a relief. But if you are making comparisons, how about Florida compared to New England, Minnesota, or Nebraska in the winter, to name a few?

drz
12-11-2013, 10:41 AM
If you all come to Florida let me know maybe we can meet up. Not to rub it in but it was 84 yesterday with no humidity. :flapper:

Rub it in for sure. It was minus 17 F here in temp and windchill was double that. People are now putting sweatshirts over their T shirts now when they go out.

annekat
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Rub it in for sure. It was minus 17 F here in temp and windchill was double that. People are now putting sweatshirts over their T shirts now when they go out. This makes me feel wimpy for complaining about temps in the teens and twenties. So I guess I'll get out my shorts and sandals, now that it's warmed up into the thirties. Fahrenheit, that is.

rebekah
12-11-2013, 01:21 PM
You guys don't bundle up until it gets below zero? That's crazy. Anne, you and I can be bundled up together. My fleece jacket is my best friend.

annekat
12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
You guys don't bundle up until it gets below zero? That's crazy. Anne, you and I can be bundled up together. My fleece jacket is my best friend. It's funny, at the Farmers Market I see a full spectrum of people walk by. There will always be some character wearing shorts in 40 degree weather. We vendors really bundle up because we are just sitting there all day, and it always feels like the coldest place in town, being near the water with sometimes a breeze and fog or rain.... plus whatever cold air came in and collected under the roof during the night will just sort of hover there most of the day. It's a cool market, though, in other ways than literally.

pberggren1
12-12-2013, 10:50 AM
I guy I play pool with wears shorts all year round, even in minus 40. We just say he escaped from the local institution on the hill......lol