PDA

View Full Version : Doctor, doctors, and more doctors

windchime
11-23-2013, 11:32 AM
This week I had three doctor appointments. The endocrinologist, ENT, and podiatrist.

The endo had to add quick acting insulin to counteract my sugar levels because of the predisone. Although it's rare I did talk to her about the thyroid nodules I have possibly being Wegener's in disguise. I gave her some research I had done on it and she agreed to look at it. I have had a needle biopsy, but the sample size is very small and if they don't get any cells it wouldn't show the Wegeners. I asked and she agreed that if they start to shrink on the Wegs tx then it maybe wegs related after all.

ENT doc doesn't believe my chronic sinusitis is Wegs. I'm currently taking allergy shots and he believes that it's all due to allergies. My CT of the sinus shows some mucousal thickening and opacity in some of the sinus areas. So this is a wait and see.

Podiatrist thinks that some of the neuropathy could be Wegs related since I've had it for awhile. I've been prescribed a "food supplement" called Metanx. It is prescription only and for peripheral neuropathy. Insurance doesn't cover it and it runs about $50/mo. It is a combination of vit b's, but is different than than over the counter vit b's in how it is absorbed. I'm waiting to get a copy of the medication insert. There was some good info on the ADA forum for type 1 diabetics. Google Metanx reviews and look for the ADA. I'm still researching it, but will tell you I took one tonight and it's amazing how it's worked. My pain is always worse at night, and right now it's better than day time levels. So I'll keep you posted on this one. If anyone else has any experience with this for neuropathy please let me know. I haven't ordered it yet, I'm using samples.

So one more week down. I see the PA at the pulmonary office next week to see how my collapsed lung is doing. Have a good weekend everyone.

Debbie C
11-23-2013, 12:27 PM
You've had a busy week Cindy. Maybe you need to search out another ent ! Does pred make sugar levels go up ? You are having one thing after another,glad to hear the Metanx is working too bad the ins, doesn't cover it but if it helps,I guess it's worth it.I bet you are really having a hard time breathing with your lung too. I hope you start too feel better soon:hug2:
Where at do you live in Orlando ? I lived in Altamonte Springs for about 9 years. I worked at Orlando Airport.

mishb
11-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Wow, it's all happening Cindy.

Debra, pred can make your sugar levels increase. My rheumy suggested that I purchase a blood monitor (the ones diabetics use), as soon as she prescribed pred for me. Just so I can keep an eye on the sugar levels.

Best of luck with next weeks appointment Cindy

windchime
11-24-2013, 05:39 AM
You've had a busy week Cindy. Maybe you need to search out another ent ! Does pred make sugar levels go up ? You are having one thing after another,glad to hear the Metanx is working too bad the ins, doesn't cover it but if it helps,I guess it's worth it.I bet you are really having a hard time breathing with your lung too. I hope you start too feel better soon:hug2:
Where at do you live in Orlando ? I lived in Altamonte Springs for about 9 years. I worked at Orlando Airport.

I will eventually try to find another ENT, but figure that if my sinuses are involved, they will heal when I start the other meds.

I live in Belle Isle, near the airport. Small community and I love it here.

windchime
11-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Had another chest X-ray and saw the Pulmonologist today. He agreed to start me on CTX 200 mg and continue the taper on the Predisone although at a slower rate than he originally set up. Of course the pharmacy didn't have the CTX in stock so I won't start it until Friday. The chest X-ray shows that the lung has re-inflated and I'm breathing easier, but still get breathless easy enough. I'll continue to stay out of work until the first week of January when I see him again. Then if things are going well I will return. I don't wanna go back. :thumbdn: However, if I must at least I'll miss our busiest week of the year between Christmas and New Years.

I'm very happy to be finally getting treatment for this disease.

windchime
12-04-2013, 01:50 PM
​I have a Rheumatologist Dr appt at Mayo clinic in Jax, Fl on Jan 8th. Excited to get one so soon. :biggrin1:

Dirty Don
12-04-2013, 04:48 PM
​I have a Rheumatologist Dr appt at Mayo clinic in Jax, Fl on Jan 8th. Excited to get one so soon. :biggrin1:

I'm biased, but you'll be impressed by Mayo, in many ways. Best of luck!

drz
12-08-2013, 01:55 AM

Once you are an established patient at their clinic you should be able to get in much sooner next time when or if you have an acute need for their services.