PDA

View Full Version : Wegie talent outlet

Michael Bell
11-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Hello all you budding Wordsworths, you are all such talented people, you have experienced life like no other group. I would like to post this thread for all of us to share our short stories and poems. It does not matter what subject or form, just post and share with your fellow Wegies. Humour, parady, love, anything, as long or as short as you like. Do not be shy, I for one would love to read them, as would many others. And lets face it, we all need a little something to distract us now and again. To get the ball rolling here is one of mine.

Across a Crowded room.

Your eyes said it all, as I walked in the room.
They made you stand out from the crowd.
The colours you wore were not brighter than most,
And your make up was subtle, not loud.
But your eyes said it all; they were brighter than fire.
They said you were packed full of life.
And the moment I saw them I knew I was hooked,
And I wanted you then for my wife.
Your eyes said it all; and your eyes did not lie.
And although we have both grown old,
Your eyes said it all; they're still saying it now.
And they still have me under thier hold.

I wrote this for Janet and my thirty third aniversary, and it still holds true.
So come on folks post something, I realy want to read your thoughts and see into those beutiful souls that show in your posts to other sufferers.
Kindest reguards Mike:mellow:

Alysia
11-22-2013, 01:21 AM
aww Mike, your poem is so beautiful and touching. your wife is blessed :)
what a lovely idea to share with writing. I love creativity.

D.B.
11-22-2013, 02:58 AM
hi mike. i came to forum today intending to start thread called beautiful people because of the warmth and caring of those i have seen in my short time here. i wondered if wegs diagnosis had changed their outloks on life and helping others or were they already kind compassionate people. anyway i like your thread idea more :) your poem made me cry. partly because just so lovely to honor your janet and also because i have been w my love for 30 yrs niw. this disease has deformed my nose and face, but my eyes havent changed. and im thankful for that. peace to you

annekat
11-22-2013, 04:24 AM
I've never been good at writing poetry, and always cringed when asked to do so in school. But I love the sentiments expressed in yours here... I think the eyes say it all, and you and Janet are indeed blessed to have found each other. That goes for the other happily married couples on here, too, and there seem to be quite a few of them!

I know there are other poets on here, so look forward to seeing more!

Michael Bell
11-22-2013, 09:45 AM
I've never been good at writing poetry, and always cringed when asked to do so in school. But I love the sentiments expressed in yours here... I think the eyes say it all, and you and Janet are indeed blessed to have found each other. That goes for the other happily married couples on here, too, and there seem to be quite a few of them!

I know there are other poets on here, so look forward to seeing more!

Hi Anne, you should not cringe at the thought of writting. I did not start till I was 41 and some of my stuff is terrible, even to me. We all have it within us to produce wonderful
and mooving, comical or thoughtful poetry or prose. It's part of the human condition.We have all got life experiences( us Wegies more than most) and art in any form is built into our souls. It matters not if you think your stuff is'nt worth sharing, I would love to read anything. I would never mark, critisize or be derogatory about anything posted here, and here'a an idea, if enough stuff comes through perhaps a book could be published with proffits to this forum or to future research. Who knows?
Mike

annekat
11-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Mike. I could probably write a haiku or a limerick. I might even be able to write a poem. But I can't make the ideas come to me easily, for getting started. I will give this all some thought and if I come up with something I actually like, I'll post it!

Michael Bell
11-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks, Mike. I could probably write a haiku or a limerick. I might even be able to write a poem. But I can't make the ideas come to me easily, for getting started. I will give this all some thought and if I come up with something I actually like, I'll post it!

Hi Anne, it can be anythig, an anecdote or a few words on something that has moved or amused you. There will have been many times in your life when an act of kindness or something you have seen or heard has touched you. It does not have to be a poem. For example. when I was 16 I took part in a long distance walk(42 1/2 miles) across the North Yorkshire moors. We set of at night from the coast at a place called Ravenscar heading for the Market town of Osmotherly. As dawn broke we were on the northern edge of the moors overlooking the Vale of York as it swings to an end at Teeside. The vale was full of fog, and as the light from the rising sun hit it, it started to boil and rise up in strange patterns, lit by the sun. I was awestruck, and I knew then, for the first time in my life that God touched this earth of ours. This image is with me still and will be the last thought on my mind as my life ends.
Mike

annekat
11-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, Mike. But I will have to wait for the right moment for something to inspire me to write about it. That experience of yours that you describe sounds truly awesome. I hope it will be a very long time before the end of your life, but I don't doubt that the image and thought of it will come to you as you foresee!

One of our members has written wonderful poems about her dogs. I have cats. Perhaps that could be a starting point.

(Sorry, Andrew, I wasn't thinking and replied to this via my email program, having received the notification! Oops.)

Debbie C
11-22-2013, 12:50 PM
That was a very touching poem Mike, I'm sure your wife loved it. When I was younger I used to write poems that I thought would make songs but I haven't done that for YEARS !!!! I will try to think of something but it may be awhile.

annekat
11-22-2013, 01:14 PM
My sister writes songs. My mother was an excellent writer who wrote for a newspaper, including some personal columns about things in her life. She also started a novel but never finished it. The words don't flow as easily for me. I supposed it would help just to take a piece of paper and a pen and write something, and keep doing that until something worthwhile comes of it!

I was thinking about cats as a poem subject and have removed one ridiculous attempt. It is hard to improve on Carl Sandburg's "The fog comes in on little cat feet." The only thing I can come up with right now that isn't TOO ridiculous is "Cats are stealth and sloth rolled into one."

Alysia
11-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi Mike. thanks for sharing your touching moment of feeling God's presence.
and thanks for inviting us to create. I am going to post something.... :wink1:

Alysia
11-23-2013, 06:37 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1450155_1433999513478861_1797590913_n.jpg

Alysia
11-23-2013, 06:37 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/64430_1434000070145472_681411435_n.jpg

mishb
11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
You are so funny Alysia. Thankyou for the laugh. :hug1:

Now waiting for your new inspriration

Alysia
11-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Now waiting for your new inspriration

thanks Michelle.
you can always trust my word. here comes the next chapter....

Alysia
11-24-2013, 12:13 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1453475_1434131803465632_541950276_n.jpg

mishb
11-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Yes Please

Can you mix a little faster Please.........we would all like a cure before Christmas :thumbsup:

carriej22
11-24-2013, 02:24 PM
LOL you guys are funny!

I write all kinds of things, including poetry. I have thought about writing books; but I didn't think anyone would ever publish me... Or know the first thing about it.

annekat
11-24-2013, 02:26 PM
LOL you guys are funny!

I write all kinds of things, including poetry. I have thought about writing books; but I didn't think anyone would ever publish me... Or know the first thing about it. You wrote some touching poems about your dogs. I'd like to see some other poems of yours, too!
Or any other kind of writing.

Michael Bell
11-24-2013, 02:50 PM
LOL you guys are funny!

I write all kinds of things, including poetry. I have thought about writing books; but I didn't think anyone would ever publish me... Or know the first thing about it.

Please, please post some of your work here. The poetry about your dogs was so touching.
Mike

BrianR
11-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Hana, my 7 year old daughter wrote the following in her "special book" a couple of nights ago that I found quite profound, especially coming from a 7 year old. The day Hana was born both Marta and I commented that she is an old soul. Here it is.

Sometime down,
sometimes up,

Feel the darkness,
feel the light.

Light and up is
more mature.

Go to a land filled with gold,

filled with rainbows where everything good roams.

Think of unicorns
and butterflies...fly.

Think of things
that turn darkness into light.

annekat
11-25-2013, 03:13 AM
Wow, that poem from Hana at age 7 is very good. An old soul, indeed!

Alysia
11-25-2013, 04:26 AM
another WOW to Hana. it is so beautiful and deep. give her big hug from me :hug3:

Dirty Don
11-25-2013, 05:02 AM
She's not only an 'old soul', she's a poet with an insight into life and it's very roots...encourage her...

pberggren1
11-25-2013, 05:25 AM
That is so touching. I remember when I met Hana she really touched my soul.

Michael Bell
11-28-2013, 09:18 AM
I would not believe Hana was only 7,this is an amazing work from someone so young. Be proud.

marta
11-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks you guys, you can't imagine how insanely proud I/we are of her.
She's a little deep thinker and the spark that keeps the drive alive.

Michael Bell
12-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Here's anotherone of mine with a slightly seasonal touch

IT'S NOT MY FAULT

On Christmas eve the police caught Santa speeding,
Six hundred in a thirty only zone.
On top of that his headlights were not working,
And his runner treads were worn down to the bone.
They checked his brakes and said" they're none existant,
You've no seat belt, you hane not got a horn.
Just one more defect, and I tell you Santa,
You'll rue the very day that you were born.
And then the policeman made him do a breath test,
The reading gave poor Santa quite a fright.
He was fifteen thousand times the drink drive limit,
So they locked old Santa Claus up overnight.
They held a special court in Christmas morning,
Told Santa that he may well go to jail.
Because of all the serious charges pending,
The magistrates decided against bail.
They confiscated Santas sleigh and reindeer,
Imposed on him a twelve year driving ban,
Put fiftyseven points upon his licence,
Gave six months jail time to the poor old man.
And that my child is why this Christmas morning,
You have no presents underneath the tree.
There'll be none until Santa gets his licence,
By that time you'll be nearly twenty three.

I like Christmas a lot but could not resist telling this to my boys on Christmas morning, and did not get their presents out for another half hour. Does this make me a bad parent?

Alysia
12-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Hi Mike,
I love your story. it is ingeious :hug3:
and you are just a wonderful parent.

Michael Bell
01-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi all, I got a little home sick for the town where I was born a while ago, so the following poem is the result.
HARTLEPOOL LAD.
I want to see the sun rise,
Over the cold North Sea.
Watch the ships slip into harbour,
And the gulls fly high and free.
I want to stand on the Fish sands,
And skip stones off the sea.
Remember my times as a child here,
And spend some time on me.

Be the boy I was all those years ago,
Be happy and be carefree.
Eat fish and chips off the paper,
And paddle in the sea.
Remember the times when my family,
Spent Sunday by the sea.
Those who have gone before me,
Are fresh in my memory.

I want to see the sunset,
Over the Durham hills.
Drink a pint of strongarm,
Forget about my ills.
Remember all the good times,
Forget about the sad.
But most of all remember,
When I was a Hartlepool lad.

Strongarm is a local beer, and the Fish sands is a local beach which was used by the fishermen of the town.
I went back to Hartlepool for a few days last week, and I feel rejuvernated.
Love to you all, Mike

annekat
01-22-2014, 03:25 AM
Very nice poem, Mike! Thanks for sharing it.

Alysia
01-22-2014, 05:31 AM
aww mike, your poem is so touching :thumbup: can you add a pic of this place ?
there is similar song in hebrew, telling about coming back to the city of childhood, but then in the middle of the song he sing with pain: but where are the kids that I used to play with ? where did they disapear ?
hmmm nostlagy :mellow:

Jaypfei
05-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a writer, otherwise I'd have written a book about what I am going through with GPA. My talents are in the needle arts. Sewing, quilting, embroidery, knitting, beading and card making. I have a love/hate with card making. Inspiration doesn't come easy and I find it a bit of a challenge. But I'm still learning the craft and getting some nice cards to send to family. :)

annekat
05-06-2014, 03:40 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a writer, otherwise I'd have written a book about what I am going through with GPA. My talents are in the needle arts. Sewing, quilting, embroidery, knitting, beading and card making. I have a love/hate with card making. Inspiration doesn't come easy and I find it a bit of a challenge. But I'm still learning the craft and getting some nice cards to send to family. :) I've always been drawn to the textile arts and often have wished I'd stuck with that and steered away from pottery (so messy!). Maybe I'll go back there some day. I think card making would be hard for me, too, but the others you mentioned, I'd love to be doing.

Alysia
05-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a writer, otherwise I'd have written a book about what I am going through with GPA. My talents are in the needle arts. Sewing, quilting, embroidery, knitting, beading and card making. I have a love/hate with card making. Inspiration doesn't come easy and I find it a bit of a challenge. But I'm still learning the craft and getting some nice cards to send to family. :)

come to this group then: https://www.facebook.com/groups/381782435251013/

Jaypfei
05-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Oh wow! Thanks Alysia. I had no clue there was a group like that. :)

annekat
05-07-2014, 06:08 AM
Oh wow! Thanks Alysia. I had no clue there was a group like that. :) Me either... I just requested to join, and hope to hear something from them soon!

LisaT
05-08-2014, 05:10 AM
I can't take credit for this poem, but wanted to share it because whenever I am going through a tough time in my life, I come back to it again and again, and it always helps. I hope it can be of some help or inspiration to others here. It was written by my late grandfather (who I don't remember but somewhat know through all of his writing…): His references to breathing are slightly ironic in the Wegener's context, but the rest seems to fit.
Don't Bow
by Nelson J. Gotlieb

No! Not now.
Lift your head
Look into the storm
Wince if you must.
Cringe too, but stand,
Till you square.
Step back if you must.
But lean forward into the wind.
Let the storm stream down your face
Let the fear shudder your spine

Die a little
But live, still stronger,
Once more proven.
Now, the mortal storm gone
Again you see beauty
A tremendous, while boiling cloud, in blue

The sight of a leaf, fresh, green
Storm wet-trembling
The tremulous hover of a butterfly
The feel on your cheek of caressing warmth
The swell of freshness
The sharp breath intake
The expansion of deep breathing lungs--
And swelling heart,

Now bow--
If you will
Bow to receive these blessings.
But not for the weight of the storm.

LisaT
05-08-2014, 05:19 AM
And here is the 'blog' in which I discussed the above poem (quotes around blog because after four years it has three entries :lol:) that I started in the midst of getting the RA diagnosis (which I now think was Wegener's in one of its many disguises). I wouldn't call the ramblings talent per se, but I always like to read of others' experiences too so thought it might interest some. I have never really shared it with anyone other than my mom and my best friend. I already feel more comfortable here than in most of the rest of the situations in my life… Here it is:
The title of my blog is the title of a poem by my late maternal grandfather, Nelson J. Gotlieb. Although I was two years old when my grandfather died, his words have helped me to get through many difficult times in life. From my mother’s stories, his prolific poetry, and the many items from nature that he collected and my mother kept–shells, sand dollars, preserved shadow-boxes of butterfly species–I feel that I know him and he has been a presence in my life (and dreams) always.
As I cried on the phone to my mom recently, she reminded me to re-read his poem. I was in the midst of a pity-party in the early weeks of learning that my old ‘friend’ pain has another new name: arthritis. (I don’t yet know which type, but am told it is either rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis. The unspoken subtext is that it could be both since I’m exhibiting symptoms of both. I’ll know for sure when I see the rheumatologist again and go over test results on August 31st). I told my mom I didn’t know where my copy of the poem was. Coincidentally, while I absentmindedly emptied out a drawer in my room, I came across a copy I’d written by hand from one of my mother’s books of his poetry:
(See "Don't Bow", in previous post in this thread.)
As in the past, I was both comforted and challenged by his words. This pain in my hands, my feet, my elbow, my knee: it is just more manifestations of a companion with whom I’ve lived for years. Pain and me go way back; as do me and my fatigue. I have no memory of what it feels like to not be tired. I know that as a child, I experienced life with a ‘normal’ person’s pain or perception of pain, but I honestly don’t remember what that feels like either. I used to do cartwheels, backbends, walkovers, splits, races, hurdles, downhill skiing. I was so proud of my flexibility and used to push my body to see what it could do. I can remember the movements, the fun and thrill of all of these activities, but I can’t quite grasp the tangible feeling of not hurting. In my mid-twenties, after many months of increasingly scary symptoms, I was finally given a name (at the time, two) for the hurt and fatigue: fibromyalgia (still with me) and polymiositis (fortunately treatable, treated, and apparently gone).
These days, I have trouble getting down the stairs in the morning. My feet throb and scream at me, “What are you doing living in a split-level? Are you NUTS?!?!” I get on the computer and my cold, stiff hands threaten to make even typing difficult.
But I keep coming back to my kids, my husband, my grandfather, my self. For all of us, I need to be stronger than my pain. I need to find new ways to adapt and cope. I need to move forward (and someday out of this split level!) and not get stuck in the feelings that threaten to overwhelm me: self-pity, anger, frustration, fear, and most surprising and unfamiliar, apathy. I have been through many phases and exhibited many characteristics, but I don’t think anyone would have ever, at any point in time, accused me of apathy. I’m not about to let it sneak its way in to my life now. I have always spoken up; not just for myself, but for anyone who appeared to need or want my voice or my anger–another whole issue or blog that may be intertwined with the whole pain-and-fatigue theme–to speak on their behalf.
Maybe I was born tired and a little bit sad. I am many other things: funny, precocious, strong, generous, sensitive, caring. But sad and tired have overshadowed me and my life, lurking in the background and always there to join me in any relationship or endeavour. I’m told that I am a ‘glass half-empty’ thinker. I don’t agree. I’m so grateful for all of the good things in my life. I’m optimistic about people (too much so: I trust first, think later). I have been the fortunate recipient of so much love and luck. Just being born into a family with a mother who totally gets me, a father who now gets me even if it took him 20 or 30 years (and who loved and appreciated me even when he didn’t), and siblings who are also best friends makes me one of the luckiest people I know. It’s just that I am also a critic, hard on everyone and everything around me and including myself. I always have been a dissenting voice. For whatever reason I’ve seen it as my duty to argue, challenge, question. I’m also somewhat of a sponge for stress, negative emotions, and sadness. In addition to my own share (and we all have some, otherwise how would we recognize the good stuff as good?), I absorb these things from other people, from the news, maybe from the air? Most likely from the air, if you believe it’s all about light, energy and vibrations rather than matter. I wonder whether this quality predisposes me to pain or opens up my immune and nervous systems to malfunction. Random thoughts as I search for reasons or explanations for why, despite everything good in my life, it’s always come side-by-side with being so tired I have to check out for a part of each day to sleep, ideally a few hours more than the average person, and so sore that the activities normal (average) people usually take for granted are challenging and frustrating for me on any given day.
I don’t know the answers to these questions. What I do know is that once again my grandpa Nelson has helped to soothe my pain and inspire me, and that I’ll do my best despite my cranky nature to heed his words.
I’ve started this blog as a way to process what I am going through without burdening my family and friends with a constant monologue about my condition. I hope to some day be brave enough to “out myself” and make it public in the hopes that others might find support or strength in my words. For the time being, I am feeling too vulnerable and exposed to open it up to the world at large.

windchime
05-08-2014, 07:57 AM
The poem is excellent Lisa. I can see why you turn to it time and time again. I'm told that it helps to write down our feelings.Thank you for sharing your very personal thoughts and feelings.

One day i'll get it together and share what my hypothesis is on why we were all brought to where we are. It's interesting.

Alysia
05-08-2014, 05:02 PM
WOW, Lisa, the poem is amzaing. touching and and inspring and giving powers to continue. you were blessed by your grandad. :thumbsup:

LisaT
05-08-2014, 11:32 PM
The poem is excellent Lisa. I can see why you turn to it time and time again. I'm told that it helps to write down our feelings.Thank you for sharing your very personal thoughts and feelings.

One day i'll get it together and share what my hypothesis is on why we were all brought to where we are. It's interesting.

I look forward to hearing your hypothesis, Cindy.

LisaT
05-11-2014, 03:29 AM
Would it be appropriate for people to post pics of their visual/textile arts here in addition to prose? Every time someone mentions their pottery, jewelry, painting, textiles, I salivate... I'd love to see everyone's talents in all areas. Is that a hijack or on keeping with the original intention of the thread?

Michael Bell
05-11-2014, 04:16 AM
no, it would be wonderful to see pictures of any artwork etc. Like I said you are all wonderful, talented people. Go for it.
Mike

Michael Bell
05-11-2014, 04:39 AM
This poem was inspired by a day at work a few years ago when nothing happened, the day just dragged.

TIME SHIFT.

Tedium ticks slowly from the face of the clock,
One tick follows another, as time falls,
Like thick oil into the past..........drip..........drip.........tick.
One monotonous hour long second after another,
Never stopping; never speeding up.
Always the same, steady, relentless drip.
And while time seems to slow to nothing,
My mind seems to speed through one thought aftwer another.
None solid but all like fleeting ghosts.
Phantom thoughts, as fleeting as a Mayfly,
Designed only to make time pass even more slowly.
Adding to the weight of time, pressing down,
Pushing me deeper into a morass of boredom.

A bit more serious than my usual stuff but I hope you can relate.
Mike

annekat
05-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes, Lisa! I have intentions of getting pics of my pottery on here. Inserting pics has been a bit of a pain for me, but if they are on Facebook, they will have URLs and can be downloaded from there. Any visual arts, including textiles, which I love, jewelry, painting, drawing, anything would be great! Videos of music performances would be excellent as well!

Alysia
05-12-2014, 02:19 AM
Would it be appropriate for people to post pics of their visual/textile arts here in addition to prose? Every time someone mentions their pottery, jewelry, painting, textiles, I salivate... I'd love to see everyone's talents in all areas. Is that a hijack or on keeping with the original intention of the thread?
Lisa, you can also come to the group that I mention on this thread on page 4. there are great workd there.

Alysia
05-12-2014, 02:45 AM
This poem was inspired by a day at work a few years ago when nothing happened, the day just dragged.

TIME SHIFT.

Tedium ticks slowly from the face of the clock,
One tick follows another, as time falls,
Like thick oil into the past..........drip..........drip.........tick.
One monotonous hour long second after another,
Never stopping; never speeding up.
Always the same, steady, relentless drip.
And while time seems to slow to nothing,
My mind seems to speed through one thought aftwer another.
None solid but all like fleeting ghosts.
Phantom thoughts, as fleeting as a Mayfly,
Designed only to make time pass even more slowly.
Adding to the weight of time, pressing down,
Pushing me deeper into a morass of boredom.

A bit more serious than my usual stuff but I hope you can relate.
Mike

Hi Mike,
beautiful poem. touching. makes me feeling of suffering. of helplessness in front of a rigid time.
there is a term, called "baby time". baby time is something which sould be according to the baby's needs. when he feels like eating - then must come the milk. when he is tired - sleep should come. he shouldn't wait too long for his needs. if he is lucky to have a good enough mother, then all is alright.
but then later in life, no more "baby time". we can only wish for it.
we are waiting. sometimes for nothing to come, which reminds me of "waiting for Godot" of Waiting for Godot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot).... or some useless time like in Alice's in Wonderland "mad tea party" when the time "punished" them by standing still forever (always tea time)....
the worse is waiting for something bad to stop happenning...
I hope you can have some good time....

Michael Bell
05-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Hi Alysia, that day was an exception for me. Most days are too busy to allow boredom to get me.

Alysia
05-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Hi Alysia, that day was an exception for me. Most days are too busy to allow boredom to get me.

I am glad about that.... I was just carried away by MY associations.... drop them away if they dont fit :wink1:

LisaT
05-12-2014, 04:49 AM
A mother's day poem from my daughter Sophie, 10:

My mom is a sunflower.

Tall, strong, outgoing

Her strong stem always providing support

Smart
Funny
Social
Surrounded by friends in her field
Kind, creative, and helpful

My mom is a sunflower.

(note to the grammar/punctuation people: I know! It bugs me too. But I kept true to her punctuation or lack thereof). :rolleyes1:

She wrote a bunch of different types of poems as the classroom mother's day project, but I'll just post this one more that I love!

Lisa
It means sweet, loving, artistic
It is 888
It is like sweet smelling hydrangeas on a bright July day
It is searching for shells on the beach in Parksville
It is the memory of our old dog Lucy
who taught her about joy and love
Her name is Lisa
It means believing in never giving up.

This means so much to me; it told me that my daughter sees me not just as a means to having her own needs and wants met (on tough parenting days, it can feel that way sometimes) but as a distinct person with my own passions and quirks… She is more insightful than I knew about who I am and what is important to me. I'm one proud and grateful mama! :love:

Michael Bell
05-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone, this poem I wrote a while ago after reading somewhere that dogs can get a little viscious with their humans if they are not fed for a couple of days. Hope you like it.

A CANINES VOW.
I will love you without question,
If you feed me without fail.
I will be forever faithful,
Greet you wildly, wag my tail.
Fetch your Times and fetch your slippers,
Lay down quietly at your feet.
For as long, beloved master ,
that you fill my bowl with meat.

I will sit down when you tell me,
Learn new tricks and catch a ball.
Walk beside you into danger,
Give my life to guard your hall.
Chase the cats out of your garden,
Sit and warm your favorite seat.
For as long, beloved master,
That you fill my bowl with meat.

annekat
05-18-2014, 01:12 AM
I like that, Michael... it is simple and to the point, and says it all.

windchime
05-20-2014, 12:47 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here too.

RAGE

Today is a day of rage
Try as I might it stays
My world appears so dark
Things are very bleak and stark

Rage bubbles to the surface
It has no regard for my purpose
I feel like Wylie Coyote on a rant
As I burn and spew forth such nastiness

I realize I don’t always have control
Sometimes the pred takes over and
It takes me to very scary places
I don’t ever want to see again

I don’t recognized myself
When I ‘m raging like a fool
I reign it in and stuff it inside
Only to let it out again another day

Today is a day of rage
I brought it back inside to reside
My world is now a shade of gray
Things are improving as I let it go

I move back to my normal self
Knowing the rage is there
Waiting to be let out and create havoc
Once again I’m in control

Alysia
05-21-2014, 02:32 AM
aww Cindy, what a beautiful, touching, genuine and honest poam. I love it and I love you :love: :hug2:

annekat
06-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Well, I'm no poet, so here's my talent: this is me in my booth at the Olympia Farmers Market today. You can get a sense of the colors and shapes I do, and I'll try to share some things in more detail, too, when I get around to it.

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10440915_10201781763538131_2263243590822328552_n.j pg

pberggren1
06-09-2014, 04:22 PM
That is very beautiful Anne. You sure do nice work.

annekat
06-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Here's a set of small nested bowls I shared on the Wegener's Creative Arts Group on Facebook.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/q72/s480x480/10294378_10201600040955180_3664288403564589965_n.j pg

pberggren1
06-09-2014, 04:26 PM
I hope you can make decent money selling these. How much would sell the above set for?

annekat
06-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Phil! That means a lot.

pberggren1
06-09-2014, 04:33 PM
We have markets here where people sell there stuff but not a continuous one. It just happens once in the spring and once in the fall. I go to it sometimes but I don't find there is much of a selection for crafts and stuff like you make. How much would you sell that bowl set for?

annekat
06-09-2014, 04:38 PM
I hope you can make decent money selling these. How much would sell the above set for? At today's price it comes out to $65 plus sales tax. They are not large bowls, they are about 7", 6" and 4.5" across, and priced at $26, $22, and $17, respectively. People may also buy them individually, not as a set. I raise my prices little by little when I think I need too, but it is a balancing act, as there are some slow days when I would hesitate to do so. But that is usually a matter of not enough traffic, or people are there to buy veggies and plants, and a dollar or two is not going to make a difference if someone wants something. With summer coming, there will be lots of tourists and other out of towners, in fact I've already encountered quite a few. The tricky thing is keeping enough work made, as it is quite labor intensive and time consuming, and pricing it so that it will sell but won't disappear so fast that I can't keep up.

Alysia
06-09-2014, 04:41 PM
colorful and beautiful works, Anne :thumbsup: and you are very cute :wub:
I wrote to you on fb too: you can make "awerness magnets" for wg :unsure:

pberggren1
06-09-2014, 04:41 PM
At least you enjoy doing a hobby like this that is rewarding and gives you a bit of income.

BookNut
06-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Anne, What a BEAUTIFUL display! You must get so much pleasure from your art! Do you have a studio in your own home? I just found this thread and am excited to be reading through it for the next few days!! My husband is a photographer and I enjoy helping him with his shows.

I think I might post some links to some blog posts that I have written. I love to write on various topics. My blog was all library related till recently. I have let it fall by the wayside a bit I am afraid, now that I am retired. Anyway - thanks for the picture!!

BookNut
06-09-2014, 04:46 PM
I posted this somewhere else a day or two ago - but some of you might not have seen it. It is a tribute to my grandparents who raised me, and I think it will give you a laugh. Enjoy!

My source for humor. A tribute to my grandparents. « Wanderings? (http://wanderings.edublogs.org/2008/09/17/my-source-for-humor-a-tribute-to-my-grandmother/)

BookNut
06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
OK. I just thought of another post that might amuse you. It is a funny take on my hospital visit towards the beginning of this "journey". Hope it makes you laugh. There are a couple of terms at the end that are not necessarily for polite company - but I think all of you will be able to relate.

http://wanderings.edublogs.org/2012/08/26/this-is-my-brain-this-is-my-brain-on-steroids/

Alysia
06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi Jacquie,
your blog is aweome :thumbsup: I can feel the special sophisticated sense of humor and wit of your grandparents in your writing all along your blog. I also like the pics and the quotes. I am curious about the miscellaneous .... :wink1: and I see in your map of visitors that I am already marked as a visitor. it is my honor and pleasure to be on your map :biggrin1:

Alysia
06-09-2014, 05:22 PM
OK. I just thought of another post that might amuse you. It is a funny take on my hospital visit towards the beginning of this "journey". Hope it makes you laugh. There are a couple of terms at the end that are not necessarily for polite company - but I think all of you will be able to relate.

This is my brain?This is my brain on steroids « Wanderings? (http://wanderings.edublogs.org/2012/08/26/this-is-my-brain-this-is-my-brain-on-steroids/)

Hillarious :biggrin1: we need it also on the threads about pred ....

BookNut
06-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Hi Jacquie,
your blog is aweome :thumbsup: I can feel the special sophisticated sense of humor and wit of your grandparents in your writing all along your blog. I also like the pics and the quotes. I am curious about the miscellaneous .... :wink1: and I see in your map of visitors that I am already marked as a visitor. it is my honor and pleasure to be on your map :biggrin1:

Thank you!! Maybe I will post more of my favorites one of these days. The Miscellaneous Page. I totally forgot what it was. When I went into the edit mode of the blog, I see that it was a way for me to put my respiratory history file that I keep online so I can show it to doctors at visits. I TOTALLY forgot that I did that, and the one that is on there is from at least a year ago. I will probably erase it. The password was simply there to keep it private. I actually have better ways to accomplish the same thing - so one of these days I will go in and clean things up a little.

I looked at the map and was excited to see you there...although of course only identified via your country.

And you are right - my grandparents were the best! I just wish they had told me more about my parents. It seemed a topic too painful for my relatives on both sides to talk about. My grandmother's sense of humor was absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, you had trouble seeing the funny aspects of a situation while she was going through it. But - at least when it was over she could pull back and laugh at herself and whatever had happened!

windchime
06-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Anne I love your pottery. I'm hoping to make a trip up to Seattle this summer. If I do maybe we can get together and I can see and buy some.

Jacquie, love your blog. You have a great sense of humor, which makes it an easy read for me. I'm on your map too!!

BookNut
06-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks Cinidy!! Are you the one on the map from Orlando??

LisaT
06-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Anne, I LOVE your pottery! I will try to make my way to the Olympia market whenever I'm able to travel again. Seeing the photo just makes me want to pick up the pieces and examine them more closely... Close-up photos of any more pieces would be welcome! The display looks great and so do you. It must be a lot of work packing, setting up, taking down... In addition to creating the pottery. Very impressive.

Jacquie, i haven't had a chance to look at your blog yet but look forward to some good reading from the sounds of it.

This thread is so fun. :thumbsup:

annekat
06-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the positive comments on my pottery, and if some of you make it to the Market, I hope I'll have enough good stuff for you to choose from, should you consider buying something. It is hard to keep up the inventory sometimes, even harder as a Weggie with less energy than I had before. I'm sure you understand. Hope to see you sometime, Lisa and Cindy, and try to let me know when you are coming so I can try to be prepared! But just seeing you will be enough, and I won't expect sales, necessarily.

annekat
06-10-2014, 02:15 AM
colorful and beautiful works, Anne :thumbsup: and you are very cute :wub:
I wrote to you on fb too: you can make "awerness magnets" for wg :unsure: I had though of this, Alysia, and maybe getting together with Marta and letting her sell them through her online shop. Or whatever. Good idea.

Alysia
06-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Anne, you can also ask Jim Bornac at the vasculitis group. he is deep inside those things.

annekat
06-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Anne, you can also ask Jim Bornac at the vasculitis group. he is deep inside those things. Good idea, too. Either way, I would donate the magnets so no one has to pay me anything and the book-keeping would be simpler. Don't know when I can get to this, though..... not for awhile, probably.

Jacquie, I look forward to reading your blog entries about your grandparents later when I have more time. I will not forget.

Alysia
06-10-2014, 03:16 AM
no Anne. do not donate them. you need that income to take care of yourself. the price that you are taking is already small enough.

LisaT
06-10-2014, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the positive comments on my pottery, and if some of you make it to the Market, I hope I'll have enough good stuff for you to choose from, should you consider buying something. It is hard to keep up the inventory sometimes, even harder as a Weggie with less energy than I had before. I'm sure you understand. Hope to see you sometime, Lisa and Cindy, and try to let me know when you are coming so I can try to be prepared! But just seeing you will be enough, and I won't expect sales, necessarily.

Wouldn't it be fun if we could come at the same time???? I'm starting to feel like I should just travel without the medical insurance because I haven't choked on my own phlegm in a few weeks… :rolleyes1::glare::confused1::mellow: BUT, that would be irresponsible of me. Maybe by fall I'll be able to get coverage. In any event, when I do get there I will definitely buy a piece of pottery, unless you're too short on stock. I'd love to see the mugs. Coffee is my friend and it's most enjoyable from a beautiful mug, especially one made by a friend! :thumbsup:

annekat
06-10-2014, 03:58 AM
Lisa, I do make awesome mugs that people love. I'm trying to find my camera cable so I can put some recent shots of them on my computer. Spoon rests are also a very popular item and easy to travel with.

Alysia, if I ever really make them, then I'll decide whether to donate the magnets or take some of the money. If only a few are selling, I might as well donate. If I'm having to make dozens of them at a time, then yes, I'd have to pay myself something.

LisaT
06-10-2014, 04:29 AM
You should make SPOONS! For low-spoon days… with a Wegs awareness saying on them. Or "Got spoons?" :lol:

annekat
06-10-2014, 04:48 AM
You should make SPOONS! For low-spoon days… with a Wegs awareness saying on them. Or "Got spoons?" :lol: Hey, that's a really cool idea, Lisa..... Little spoon-shaped magnets that say "got spoons?"... and they would work for other AI diseases, too! I like it!

marta
06-10-2014, 05:15 AM
Hey, that's a really cool idea, Lisa..... Little spoon-shaped magnets that say "got spoons?"... and they would work for other AI diseases, too! I like it!

At least 140 other diseases.

jvilner
06-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Are you on etsy?

annekat
06-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Are you on etsy?I regret to say I'm not, nor do I have a website or any real online presence. The amount of pottery I can make as a Weggie, and being unable to afford helpers, is pretty limited so I'd have trouble supplying the demand of a site and the farmers market, too. Etsy would be a good place to start, though....

drz
06-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Hey, that's a really cool idea, Lisa..... Little spoon-shaped magnets that say "got spoons?"... and they would work for other AI diseases, too! I like it!

And some that say " I need spoons" or "donate spoons here" "spoons needed here" or what ever gets the idea across.

annekat
06-10-2014, 01:01 PM
And some that say " I need spoons" or "donate spoons here" "spoons needed here" or what ever gets the idea across. We could have a pendant for that, which could be hung around one's neck... a pretty and decorative one, of course.

mishb
06-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Wow Anne, it's sounds like you will be busy for a very very long time :tongue1::wink1:
All of these ideas sound amazing

LisaT
06-10-2014, 11:50 PM

I can't take credit for 'got spoons?' I read it somewhere and can't remember where. :cool1:

LisaT
06-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Figured out where 'Got spoons' came from. The author of the spoon theory has a whole line of products!

"Spoon Gear" : ButYouDontLookSick.com - The Get Well Gift Store (http://www.cafepress.com/bydls/631875)

so I guess you might need her permission to make and sell the spoon magnets. (Copyright). Didn't mean to counsel you to commit a crime. Inadvertent plagiarism. Oops!:w00t:

annekat
06-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Cool! And there are some magnets there, too, though not as nice looking as clay ones would be. However, I don't really have time to make them, anyway. I do like the idea of the spoon shape in jewelry or other decorative arts, including ceramics.

BookNut
06-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Cool! And there are some magnets there, too, though not as nice looking as clay ones would be. However, I don't really have time to make them, anyway. I do like the idea of the spoon shape in jewelry or other decorative arts, including ceramics.

Maybe you could make a prototype and see if the inventor of the "spoon theory" would be interested in commissioning some.

annekat
06-11-2014, 05:20 AM
I posted this somewhere else a day or two ago - but some of you might not have seen it. It is a tribute to my grandparents who raised me, and I think it will give you a laugh. Enjoy!

My source for humor. A tribute to my grandparents. « Wanderings? (http://wanderings.edublogs.org/2008/09/17/my-source-for-humor-a-tribute-to-my-grandmother/) Jacquie, I finally got around to reading this and your other blog entry. This made me laugh out loud several times! I'm so sorry you lost your parents and never really knew them, but you were so lucky to have these wonderful people waiting in the wings to raise you up into the sparkling personality that you are today!

annekat
06-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Maybe you could make a prototype and see if the inventor of the "spoon theory" would be interested in commissioning some. Nice idea. She might like having something handmade on her site. I'll have to put it on the back burner for now, though.... Maybe at a time of year when demands to make what I already make are not so high.... and when I have more spoons!

BookNut
06-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Thanks for you lovely comment about my grandparent post! I have not been feeling very sparkling for the past month or so. Today is better with the big guns of prednisone and Claritromycin kicking in. I am SO hoping to be able to settle in with just Clarithromycin and avoid the constant roller coaster of pred. Fortunately I have been spared the emotional ups and downs of the pred for the most part. But I just don't want to be on it all the time, with my family history of diabetes. And it has been a constant round of on and off and back on again for the past year really. Nice to talk as always!

LisaT
06-12-2014, 11:59 PM
I wrote this a while back during some very dark days. I needed to express how I feel living with constant pain and exhaustion. I haven't shared it with anyone but it made me feel better just putting the words down. I thought others might be able to relate and/or take comfort in the shared aspects of the experience. Don't worry about me when you read it-- I express the depressing stuff so it doesn't stay in and make me sicker... I'm okay, and like I said it was in the past... But it's a good description of the bad days, thank God for the good ones in between! Writing it was very cathartic at the time.

This pain
This body of pain
Weighs me down
Fits me like a glove
I can't take it off
It's heavy, so heavy
sharp; tight. a torture-suit of armour

It is not me
But it's mine
Mine alone
Isolating
Cheating my children
Infiltrating my muscles, my joints, my bones
My teeth
It saps my energy
Sets me apart

The real me
Before pain
Without pain
Sometimes despite pain
Is light, carefree, spontaneous
Laughing, wild
Dancing, talking late into the night, making love
Not worrying about the price I will pay tomorrow
Not waking with an instant awareness of what hurts the most
How will I get moving
Where's my damn coffee and why do all these people want something from me before I can even move

Hurts so bad
With its grip on my head
Piercing my eyes
My jaw screaming
Neck aching
Hips and back tight and sore
Please make it stop
Give me a break

Let me wake feeling light
Comfortable, easy
Excited to start the day
Focused on something, anything else
SomeONE else
My beautiful girl, needing my attention and approval
Time with her mom
My sweet boy
Wants cuddles on the couch
Reassurance that he is my world

My lonely, steadfast husband
Who spent another evening, another night
Without his wife
Because if I don't get my rest
My twelve hours of escape from this pain
Respite from its constant drag
On my every move
On me even in stillness
I can't get through the day

Make the breakfasts, pack the lunch, please get dressed please put on your shoes please
Get in the car
sweep the floor,
Go to appointments
Endless appointments
Be there with smile and open arms and snacks
When the bell rings

Ready for the next shift
Swim team, showers, home for dinner
Or play dates, group snack, negotiating who plays what with whom
Cajoling, bribing to get the shin guards and cleats on and out the door
Then dinner, baths, stories, cuddles
I'm on empty
It is all I can do
It's most important
I can't be a good lawyer
Can't be a good editor
Can't be a good wife
Or homemaker
Maybe I can still, if I use every ounce of resources,
Be a good mom
So I don't do anything else

This pain; this exhausting pain
This painful exhaustion
Is mine
And mine alone
I can't share it or describe it
Let it define me
Make me a complainer, whiner, hypochondriac: 'you look so healthy!'
So you don't know
Can't know
Must think I can't be bothered
To pick up the phone
Invite you for dinner
Come dancing for your birthday
Run for the cure

Believe me, I want to
I wish I could
On that rare day or night that I can and I do
I wonder, are you thinking
She seems fine to me!?
Where's her pain and fatigue now?
How convenient

How can I explain
Once in a while
I return to myself
A blessed break
It fades into the background
Allows me to taste, feel, focus on life
Not hurt, so aware of my body, its aches and tiredness
That it puts a buffer between me and the world
For those glorious moments or hours
I am me again
Dancing, laughing, running with my kids
Then the next day
The price
So tired
Hard to walk, hurts again
How can I explain?
Easier not to
Just hope you don't judge
That you know
Because it doesn't show doesn't make it less real
Because I look good doesn't mean that's how I feel
Either way
I have to go back to bed
Think what you will

renidrag
06-13-2014, 01:10 AM
This beautiful poem is certainly not the first you have written. I hope not the last. Your words put tears in my eyes. I love it! Wish I could "like" it more than once.
Dale

annekat
06-13-2014, 01:33 AM
Excellent poem, Lisa, really gets the point across. Even I feel like one of those who wouldn't understand, not having your level of pain or all the responsibilities that you do involving other people. So, I'm glad you shared it; it makes me more aware. I'm also glad that writing it unloaded some of the stress. I hope you have more and more of the good days and an easier recovery from the bad ones.

Alysia
06-13-2014, 01:49 AM
wow. Lisa. you just shared your pains :crying: it is so beautiful, so deeply touching. feels so close. your voice is my voice. I wrote 2 similar poems, much shorter, in Hebrew. I need to find them, try to translate them and have the courage to share. (mostly becuase of the language). thank you :love: :hug1:

LisaT
06-13-2014, 04:57 AM
Thank you for your kind words. Anne, although we all have somewhat different experiences, I feel understood with respect to these issues here, much more so than anywhere else. That's why I'm able to share things I normally don't. It's in the hope that it will help someone else feel seen, heard, understood. I normally don't write poems, this just poured out one really bad morning when I was up too early hurting... Alysia, I'd love to read yours if you want to share. I can read Hebrew but don't understand enough to comprehend poetry.

windchime
06-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Excellent poem Lisa. Very poignant and to the point. Did you share it with your husband? It may help him to understand where you've been.

BookNut
06-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Lisa, This is absolutely stunning! So beautiful, so painful, and SO descriptive of anyone with a chronic disease. It deserves a wider audience. At the very least, it should be its own post, so that more people on the forum will see it. It should be available to anyone with other kinds of chronic diseases. Somehow, I want this poem to go viral!! Youare a very talented writer, my friend!

LisaT
06-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm humbled by these responses... Don't know if I'd feel comfortable sharing it with any wider audience. This forum feels very safe and non-judgmental, because I know that people understand, even if all of our stories are different there are commonalities... Until posting it here this was just a personal rant on my iPad... :blushing: But I'm glad if it helps anyone else realize they're not alone in this experience...

Michael Bell
06-13-2014, 04:53 PM
it is a very strong and thought provoking piece of work Lisa, this is the sort of stuff I hoped for when I started this thread. We may get a book out of it yet. And if we do anybody that wishes can publish anonomasly.
Mike

Alysia
06-15-2014, 12:24 AM
I translated one of my little poems from Hebrew. please correct my English if needed to make it a better one.
I wrote it out of pains of body and soul, and out of endless lonelyness, sadness and despair. as you can see, there was no place that I could have brought my pains to.... now I have. here. thank you all for being here :love:

Curfew
My Pain is being detained inside me,
Muted, screaming and wrestling,
Flickering but then cruelly – almost turn off
Etching on the walls of its dark prison
With no words…
Searching where… to find some exit….
But it is always being told: "not here"
My tears are also being arrested
With chains of control.
In one minute, the cables are ripping
Curfew just broke
But the pain is never loosening..

LisaT
06-15-2014, 01:10 AM
Beautiful. You capture the feelings perfectly. Thanks for sharing this, and for your friendship and support. This made me cry because I'm sorry you have to deal with this pain... �� is it any better these days? I have a heating pad on my back and ice pack on my neck/ base of my skull as I type... I hope you're feeling ok!����

BookNut
06-15-2014, 04:12 PM
I hope the pain for both of you is better. My respiratory issues do not cause me pain - just shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. But I fell hard when I was 18, and have had back pain ever since. And 4 years ago I injured my neck which resulted in the worst pain ever. I can empathize, because when the pain is bad enough, you just cannot think and you feel desperate to escape it. Hard to get your mind on anything else. Both the poems express that so very well. Writing is such a good way though of dealing with the pain...getting the inside pain out. Keep on writing and sharing! I am hoping for pain free days for all my friends here on the forum.

pberggren1
06-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Jacquie, do you see a chiro and massage therapist regularly?

BookNut
06-16-2014, 03:19 AM
Probably not as often as I should.....but I do see a chiropractor when things get bad. Was scared to death to see him when my neck was so bad....but he did wonders. My PCP is an integrated medicine doctor and has a chiro and massage therapist, acupuncturist etc. right in her group. Another good thing about prednisone is that when I am on it I get relief from the backache. Would rather put up with the backache, but it is generally best to look at things from the positive side! :rolleyes1:

LisaT
07-14-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm noticing getting into a creative zone really distracts me from and helps me with pain and other symptoms. Mostly I'm drawing/doodling, and occasionally painting but I wrote a short poem today. I'm hoping others will keep sharing. I really like reading/ seeing everyone's stuff...

I want to be like water
Flowing gently to where I'm meant to be
No need to think or question or comprehend
Any obstacles or barriers along the way
I'd simply go around
Or take my time
Slowly, steadily cutting through stone as though sand
Or air
Taking myself and the debris I carry along with the current
Enveloping, lifting, and carrying the creatures I sustain
Quenching thirst
Refreshing spirit
Making waves

Being

Alysia
07-16-2014, 11:49 AM
WOW Lisa :thumbup: what a beautiful poem :love:
I can identify with those feelings.....

marta
01-21-2015, 09:01 AM
I just wrote this last night in my attempt to give a short-ish description of Autoimmune Disease to help people jump on board with PJ Day this year.
Here's what I came up with.

In too many lives,
those little white cells,
so aptly designed
to keep our health in line,
for reasons unknown,
freak out,
and forget
what their jobs are about.

To germs,
virus
and bacteria unkind,
our immune system
is meant to bind,
but in it’s haste it falls behind.

Against the body
it is meant to protect,
the immune system
has now launched an attack.

Then life can become dire.
Existence,
body,
mind,
submerged in quagmire.

Questioning self,
fighting for life,
in up until now,
unprecedented strife

Our jobs by the wayside,
employers confused,
our families shattered,
souls battered and bruised.

We’ve seen the expensive
“machine that goes ‘ping’”
we’ve even felt its overused, broken springs.

One in Five will feel this wrath.
How’s that for applied math?

There is no age limit,
in either direction,
and women make up three quarters of this collection.

Early detection
and many injections
(of chemo
and steroids
and more,)
are the only hope,
us unlucky dopes
have of futures
with more life than hopes.

We can endure,
of this you can be sure.
But just so we’re perfectly clear;