PDA

View Full Version : Don't do stupid things!

annekat
11-20-2013, 07:09 AM
A few minutes ago, I was breaking some small branches and large sticks of dry, seasoned wood into lengths to use in my wood stove. Things that are too small to need a saw. I did a stupid thing. I stepped down very hard on one of these large sticks that was propped up on a log at one end. The stick broke as intended, but the other end flew up and hit the side of my head very forcefully, causing an intense pain that throbbed and radiated into my head! It scared me. I have some ice on it now and it feels better, but the pain is still there in the spot where it hit. I think I will be OK. But do be careful and don't do stupid things, especially when there is no one else around! Time to get out the saw, I guess.

JeanMarie
11-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Hope you are OK. Everyone does something stupid sometime!!

annekat
11-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Hope you are OK. Everyone does something stupid sometime!! True, and usually we don't realize how stupid they were until after we do them! I'm pretty sure I'm OK. It hurts a little to chew, mainly around my left temple. And I might be slightly dizzy, but nothing that a little coffee won't fix. Otherwise, it is a beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest!

RudiK
11-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Nothing stupid about this, Anne, these things happen. I think I lost just about every finger on my left hand because I didn't pay close enough attention and hit the finger with a hammer.
Hope your pain goes away soon.

renidrag
11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
I think perhaps a helmet?
Dale

mr.g
11-20-2013, 07:02 PM
A few minutes ago, I was breaking some small branches and large sticks of dry, seasoned wood into lengths to use in my wood stove. Things that are too small to need a saw. I did a stupid thing. I stepped down very hard on one of these large sticks that was propped up on a log at one end. The stick broke as intended, but the other end flew up and hit the side of my head very forcefully, causing an intense pain that throbbed and radiated into my head! It scared me. I have some ice on it now and it feels better, but the pain is still there in the spot where it hit. I think I will be OK. But do be careful and don't do stupid things, especially when there is no one else around! Time to get out the saw, I guess.

At my age its a senior moment...which occur with increasing frequency. I guess the old saying, "sticks and stones..," holds true for you. It is now over 12 hours later, how are you? Concussion? We hope you are ok.
Ev

mishb
11-20-2013, 10:02 PM
You are a silly billy.

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with sticks - you will poke an eye out :flapper:

Well thankfully you didn't poke an eye out, but very close to it, by the sounds of things.

I hope you got an early night and are feeling better in the morning.

annekat
11-20-2013, 10:59 PM
At my age its a senior moment...which occur with increasing frequency. I guess the old saying, "sticks and stones..," holds true for you. It is now over 12 hours later, how are you? Concussion? We hope you are ok.
Ev Thanks, everyone. Could get a helmet, good idea. If I still had my grandpa's old forestry helmet, I'd wear it, but one of my sibs got it.

Since I am over 60, I could also call it a senior moment. A learning experience for sure!

I did think about concussions when it happened, hence my being alarmed enough to post to the forum. Guess I should research concussions, but I doubt I have one at this point. There is probably a big bruise under my hair, though. It hurts to touch it. And opening my mouth hurts. I'm lucky it didn't break my glasses frame. A kids' frame, and cheap, and best, sturdiest frame I ever had despite being a wire one.

I think I will be OK, and thanks for everyone's concern.

Alysia
11-21-2013, 04:46 AM
How are you, Anne ?
and please fix yours stairs... (those you talked about on fb)
sending you big hug :hug1:

annekat
11-21-2013, 05:08 AM
How are you, Anne ?
and please fix yours stairs... (those you talked about on fb)
sending you big hug :hug1: I'm fine, Alysia. Keep nagging me about the stairs, as they are not at the top of my list of things to do. If find my hammer, then I will fix the stairs, I promise! I'm sure I could borrow one, too. Thanks for the big hug!

Alysia
11-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Anne, be careful with the fixing. don't you bring someone to fix ?
I have 2 "left" hands (do you say so in English as well, to mean that you are far from being a "handyman" ?) I can hardly put a picture on the wall :blushing:

annekat
11-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Anne, be careful with the fixing. don't you bring someone to fix ?
I have 2 "left" hands (do you say so in English as well, to mean that you are far from being a "handyman" ?) I can hardly put a picture on the wall :blushing: Oh, I think it is just a loose stair or two that need re-nailing. I have to remove the dirty, ugly carpet first to see what is going on. Then will not put that carpet back on! I think I can manage it, but if I need any help, I can get my neighbor or a friend.

Debbie C
11-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Be careful Anee,especially if you get the saw out...Need to get some body armour !Hope your head is o.k.

annekat
11-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Be careful Anee,especially if you get the saw out...Need to get some body armour !Hope your head is o.k.
Thanks, Deb. My head is OK, just a little sore, still, but getting better, I think. Just finished a session with the electric chain saw, cutting up branches for firewood. I need all the free wood I can get. I've been using the saw for over 20 years and know the precautions, but thanks for the reminder. It is not the safest thing in the world but you gotta do what you gotta do. I will be careful. :cool1:

MikeG-2012
11-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Hey Anne, can I join club stupid? Yea, I pulled a bone headed one too...

Last night, after working 6 hours at the college, I came home to a snow drift in the driveway. Well, I'm in the middle of a pretty nasty flare up, so shoveling is out. So, I decided to go ahead and remove the mower deck from the lawn tractor, and put on the plow. Yes, a guy with 60-65% lung function, working on his tractor in his garage, AFTER a partial day at work. I got it done, but MAN, WAS I STUPID!! This morning, I could hardly move. My chest muscles feel like I got run over by the tractor, and I still feel like it now, 24 hours later.

Lesson learned! We ALL do things that we know are/were stupid. For some of us though, our foresight should have been as good as our hindsight!

So, if you are planning on making t-shirts to commemorate, I will take a size 2X please. :rolleyes1:

annekat
11-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Hey, Mike, thanks for telling your "stupid" story, and yes you may join the stupid club! The trouble with Wegs, and with pred, is we can feel perfectly capable of doing certain things, despite our reduced lung function or whatever, and we will go ahead and do them and regret it later! If enough time passes between these events, then we will likely forget about taking this precaution! In my case, I cannot blame it on Wegs or pred at all.... I probably would have made the same dumb mistake and wonked myself in the head no matter what. But I do think it is important that we share these stories as a reminder that, as Weggies, we need to be extra careful and vigilant!