PDA

View Full Version : Nebulizers - a review

MikeG-2012
11-15-2013, 12:43 AM
For those of you who have lung issues like me and have to travel (or just get some of your mobility back), I wanted to share my experience with a portable nebi machine.

a few years ago, I bought a Respironics Microelite MicroElite? Nebulizer System, Philips Respironics (http://microelite.respironics.com/) I bought it primarily because I traveled about five times that year by plane, and didn't want to pack my big machine. We also went on three pretty long motorcycle trips that year, so portability was definitely an issue too.

This thing has been a workhorse and performs today as well as it did two years ago. It will work with albuterol and steroid both. Case that holds everything, including meds, is only 3x5x7 inches. It comes with one mouthpiece, tube, machine, battery, household power supply, car power supply, instructions (paper and cd) and carry case. I would guess the weight at 2# loaded with a few days of med vials.

So if any of you are traveling and need/want a portable nebulizer, I highly recommend this one. Best $219 I've spent in a long time.

Debbie C
11-15-2013, 04:34 AM
Hi Mike,I also have a nebulizer machine, not as small or a nice as yours sound. But when I first moved back to Ohio, I started having breathing problems ( which makes me wonder if this is when all this started and went undiagnosed for 8 years ) But the Dr. I went to at the time gave it to me, then since I was on Medicaid I was able to get a new one (same type though)I haven't used it in a few years but had to drag it out last week and used it once. I put albuteral sulfate in it. It seems to give some reliefe but I am wondering if I am having a flare.

pberggren1
11-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Mike, when you are on the plane how do you power the nebulizer? Does it just run on battery? How long does the battery last? Do you run yours every day? Do you have another nebulizer at home? If so, how long does that one last? Mine last me about 6 to 8 months and I pay 120.

MikeG-2012
11-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Mike, when you are on the plane how do you power the nebulizer? Does it just run on battery? How long does the battery last? Do you run yours every day? Do you have another nebulizer at home? If so, how long does that one last? Mine last me about 6 to 8 months and I pay 120.

Fortunately, up to the past month, I haven't been tied to a nebi machine. But for the next few months, until the lung lesions clear up, I'm tethered again to one.

I use my big machine at home. I just take this one to work and travel. Battery runs about 2 full treatments and then has to be charged--even two years later. I don't think I'd run this one daily, but it is really the cat's meow to have a portable. I've even run it in the car with the lighter cord--with someone else at the wheel of course. There's a wall wart power for home use and battery charging.

Im I still using my big Respironics, which I think was $125, that was purchased about three years ago.

Did I get all your questions answered? At 80mg pred and 120mg during infusion today, I'm a little hyper/jumpy... (-8

pberggren1
11-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks Mike. You answered all my questions. I got an old nebulizer that my great uncle used. I have not used it yet but it looks heavy duty. My great aunt said he used it every day for several hours each day and it is probably over 7 years old.

MikeG-2012
11-16-2013, 12:41 AM
That old monster is probably better than anything you could buy now. I just really like the freedom of running a treatment on the way to town, traveling, etc. it just makes the treatments less monotonous if YOU can choose where and when!

MikeG-2012
11-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Hi Mike,I also have a nebulizer machine, not as small or a nice as yours sound. But when I first moved back to Ohio, I started having breathing problems ( which makes me wonder if this is when all this started and went undiagnosed for 8 years ) But the Dr. I went to at the time gave it to me, then since I was on Medicaid I was able to get a new one (same type though)I haven't used it in a few years but had to drag it out last week and used it once. I put albuteral sulfate in it. It seems to give some reliefe but I am wondering if I am having a flare.

i guess we all have our individual flare indicators. I hope your breathing is not one of them Debra. I hope that yours is just weather/crop related like mine gets this time of year some times. Looking back now though, I do notice that every room in the house had an inhaler out laying around somewhere. Should have been a clue to tell me that something was up a lot earlier. That went on for about a month. Hindsight, right? I do notice that my bad sweating at night is gone. That must be another trigger/indicator for me too. After only 20 months since being diagnosed, I'm still learning...

I can trace the start of mine back to a specific date. I had a bad ear infection, fluid, etc. that took two ear tubes to clear; then the sinus symptoms started. Eustachian tube on that side was never right after the ear problems. It was always plugging up, even with a simple sniffle cold. Wish I'd known then what I know now!

annekat
11-16-2013, 07:22 AM
I can trace the start of mine back to a specific date. I had a bad ear infection, fluid, etc. that took two ear tubes to clear; then the sinus symptoms started. Eustachian tube on that side was never right after the ear problems. It was always plugging up, even with a simple sniffle cold. Wish I'd known then what I know now!

Mike, I also had a very bad ear infection, in Oct. 2008, which I consider to be the start of my Wegs. I had never had one before. I have heard this story several or even many times on this forum. Now trying to remember possibly related incidents before that and remember a period of tinnitus and congested ears and sinuses, which went away for several years before the big ear infection. And a history of allergies, asthma, and bronchitis throughout my life, but not all the time, it would all come and go through the years. I could go for years with barely any problems at all. Mysterious stuff.

Like you, after that infection, things were always bad with my ears, sinuses, e-tubes, and hearing, although it came and went in severity until my big flare and dx in 2011. I also remember a lot of throat irritation and barely being able to talk, and that cleared up with WG treatment, for the most part.

Only time I used a nebulizer was when in the hospital overnight after Wegs had gone into my lungs, though I still didn't have a dx as yet. My mom had respiratory problems and used one. At this point, I don't think I need one, but interesting to hear about them.

MikeG-2012
11-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Only time I used a nebulizer was when in the hospital overnight after Wegs had gone into my lungs, though I still didn't have a dx as yet. My mom had respiratory problems and used one. At this point, I don't think I need one, but interesting to hear about them.

I am by no means an expert. Up until my diagnosis, I never had to use one. It does work to open things up when the chest is congested, far better this rescue inhalers. As you know though, it does take TIME, and that's why I posted about my experiences with the portable unit. It's a good 20 minutes of my time every morning and night to run albuterol and steroid through it, and that gets old fast. Now, if we have somewhere to go, i will load up the nebi, my wife drives, and I do the treatment in the car on the way there. (We live 20 minutes from everywhere). Plus, the portability lets me take it from room to room in the house much easier. The old boat anchor nebi still sits on her corner of the kitchen table, and taunts me, but I show her the sleek portable and go about my business. I think she misses me!! (Man it's nice to have my sense of humor back--even if it's bad humor!!)

Mike

pberggren1
11-16-2013, 09:17 AM
I nebulize about 4 hours every day, some days even much more.

MikeG-2012
11-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Is that because of the weg damage Phil? I guess I should feel really fortunate that my lungs have been this good then. No wonder you were asking questions about the portable. You really must be tethered to the machine. Will the treatments get worse over time?

pberggren1
11-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Ya, some Wegs damage and mostly the Mycobacterium Abscessus. The mucus will always be there and it has to come up. Some days are better than others but most suck ass.

MikeG-2012
11-16-2013, 10:52 AM
There are cheaper ones that are far more portable, but do not work with steroids. I think they were called vibrating mesh? That might be an alternative for you too if it's primarily the albuterol you are using.

I think a revolt is in order! We need our freedom back! Let's lose the tubes! Let's lose the tubes! Let's lose the tubes!

annekat
11-16-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry you have to go through that, Phil. Overall, you have such a great attitude in the face of all this stuff that Wegs and the other disease have brought upon you.:cool1:

pberggren1
11-16-2013, 10:56 AM
I mostly just use 0.9% sodium chloride Mike.

I have such a great attitude because of God and this Forum.

Alysia
11-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I nebulize about 4 hours every day, some days even much more.

expert in nebulizing too :thumbup: (see the other thread of Mike)
I am sorry you have to :crying:

:hug2: :hug1:

Alysia
11-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I have such a great attitude because of God and this Forum.

and because of the amazing man you are

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110112054333/batman/images/a/a3/NealAdamsBatman.jpg

annekat
11-17-2013, 02:56 AM
What an amazing pic of Batman, er, I mean Phil..... That would look awesome as his avatar.