PDA

View Full Version : How long on Imuran and Prednisone?

Il_Randyb
11-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Hello all,

I was at Barne's Jewish Hospital yesterday for evaluation for their kidney transplant program. The neurologist reviewing my meds and my history questioned why I was still on 100mg of Imuran and 5mg of Prednisone given that Wegener's is under control. She suggested that those both have side affects and it would be best if I were off both of them at this point. My doctor has been stepping them both down but I wanted to ask what experiences others have with these two medications for control of Wegener's

Thanks
Randy

Dirty Don
11-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Weaning off the drugs is an ideal situation, but realities usually demand that we be very careful as we wean. Some do it successfully, I'd dare say more of us reach a point where the dosages are too little whether it be for adrenals or curbing the WG. I had a flare in Sept., was put back on small dose of pred, feel pretty good again now. The neurologist needs to be schooled in the process of weaning off drugs...most of can't do it immediately without side effects. Best to you.

drz
11-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Hello all,

I was at Barne's Jewish Hospital yesterday for evaluation for their kidney transplant program. The neurologist reviewing my meds and my history questioned why I was still on 100mg of Imuran and 5mg of Prednisone given that Wegener's is under control. She suggested that those both have side affects and it would be best if I were off both of them at this point. My doctor has been stepping them both down but I wanted to ask what experiences others have with these two medications for control of Wegener's

Thanks
Randy
Latest research suggests about 80% of Weggies flare within two years after stopping all maintenance meds. The question is whether a flare presents a high risk for you and how important it is to you to get off all the meds. People with organ transplants take these dosages for rest of their lives and most seem to do pretty good. I take a 175 mg azathioprine or generic imuran and 5 mg pred and expect it will be so for rest of my life unless they find a cure for Wegs.