PDA

View Full Version : Hi wondering about flu shots

Wheels
10-31-2013, 02:23 PM
My husband was wondering about flu shots should he get one or not. Sitting on the fence about this.

drz
10-31-2013, 03:13 PM
My doctors all recommended it as i have not had a bad reactions to previous flu shots. But they also agree with a broken immune system and older age, flu shots tend to become less effective but our chances of surviving the flu also decrease at same time if we get a bad case of it. Ask all your doctors what they recommend for you and him? I would guess they will strongly recommend it for you and rest of family and most likely for him too.

Pete
10-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Both my rheumy and PCP recommended I get a flu shot again this year. I've gotten them each year for at least the past 20 years with no ill effects. My wife has been getting them since I was diagnosed.

rif
10-31-2013, 11:49 PM
This will be the first year my son, who is in his mid thirties will get a flu shot since initial diagnosis in March 2009. His Consultant scheduled a Pneumo jab this year for first time too which he had in September although this lasts for five years apparently. He is presently awaiting appointment for flu jab.

Rif

Alysia
11-01-2013, 03:22 AM
as far as I know, flu shot can cause a flare.
check this link.
http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/1210-h1n1-girl-who-kicked-hornet-s-nest-7.html

Wheels
11-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Thanks going to check with doctors and see what they have to say.

Alysia
11-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks going to check with doctors and see what they have to say.

some docs are "pro" it, I don't know why.
I once checked this issue with a doc who pretended to be an expert. she told me to take it. when I continue to inquire she admit that it might cause a flare. when I insist on asking why to take the risk, she ignore my question.
my wg-doc never tells me to take it.
I think it is safer to ask the patient's experience about it and not the doc's outside opinion. sorry for being not very nice to the docs in this post.

NikkiNicole
11-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Being someone who is currently still on immunosuppressants (I know some of us are not anymore) I was recommended to NOT get one. If I insisted on getting one, I needed to make sure it was the injection and not the up the nose spray w/ the live virus, because the live virus would make me sick.
I've always gotten a violent flu every time I get the flu shot so ... I won't be getting one!!!!

Geoff
11-01-2013, 09:05 AM
I have been told by my doc at Addenbrookes to have the jab... now I know the Forum is split on this topic and I wouldnt recommend anything to anyone, I just pass on what is happening to me on my Wegs journey; now let me get off this fence...:huh:

pwc51
11-01-2013, 11:06 AM
My rheumy recommended I had it when first diagnosed in 2009. I have had it ever since, with no side effects. His comments were that it would not be as effective at it would be for a 'normal' person but some protection was better than none. I had this year's a couple of weeks back when having a blood test (it was not pre-booked, I just happened to mention it and before I knew it it was done - no time to worry about it!)

Debbie C
11-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I had one last year for the first time and then agein this year along with the pneumonia shot the same day..no problems. But yea, definately don't get the nose spray ( live virus )

mishb
11-01-2013, 11:34 PM
My rheumy said No way.

She said you have enough stuff going on and into your body at the moment - so why would you want to put more chemicals.

I just try to cover up as much as possible and keep the hands washed etc.
Haven't had a cold (**touching wood**) since becoming ill in 2009

gilders
11-02-2013, 08:53 AM
I've had it every year for the last 19 years. I'd say about 15 of those years I've been immuno-suppressed when I received it.
On the odd occasion I've needed other vaccines such as for travel abroad, I've had every vaccine that can be administered as not "live".

Looks like it's consistently recommended for UK weggies.

drz
11-02-2013, 10:15 PM
My rheumy recommended I had it when first diagnosed in 2009. I have had it ever since, with no side effects. His comments were that it would not be as effective at it would be for a 'normal' person but some protection was better than none. I had this year's a couple of weeks back when having a blood test (it was not pre-booked, I just happened to mention it and before I knew it it was done - no time to worry about it!)

I was told same thing by all my doctors. They all agree that it is less likely to provide me the same protection that it would afford a younger and healthier person, but recommend it anyway saying my risk of dying from the flu is greater than my risk of dying from a flare brought on by the injection. They base this on my medical history and their assessment of my current health. I have no history of any significant reaction to any past flu shot but do have a poor immune system from diabetes, age, and my azathioiprine meds for Wegs. Before I got diagnosed with Wegs I was always given high priority for getting the flu shot because of my diagnosis of having diabetes which increased my risk of complications from any flu so I always was among the first to get the flu shot. Every doctor I saw always checked too to be sure I had received mine at start of flu season. If I had any serious adverse reaction to the flu shots, their recommendations might be very different. I believe there was a year once when more people died from reactions to the flu injection that from the actual flu but this was a rare event and I think there were additional safeguards added after that but no injection or med or medical procedure is without risk. Our hope is that the benefits will out weigh any such risks.

carriej22
11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Got mine today. Dead injection of course - no funky nasal sprays (never even heard of this really)

Wegetarian
11-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Alysia, I think the H1N1 you were referring too was the bird-flu vaccine that was quickly made for the pandemic a few years ago and is not like the common flu shots.

Personally I wouldn't want to take any vaccines without a very good reason. I did once take a flu shot and had no noticeable side effects. I wouldn't take one now, but all my docs recommended it to me so I guess I will have one tomorrow. I'm on pred and MTX so dunno, maybe it would be bad to get a tough case of the flu but I'm not really convinced those flu shots are all that effective. I'm more afraid of the stuff they put in the shots than the flu itself.

SpaceflightAddict
11-06-2013, 10:18 PM
My Wegs doc highly recommended that I get a flu and pneumococcal vaccination, but to make absolutely sure that it is the dead virus.

I have had both of those since I was diagnosed two months ago, and have not had any problems from them.

Poppy64
11-09-2013, 02:54 AM
I got my flu shot about 3 weeks ago right after my 3rd Rituximab infusion. Have been in bed since Tuesday with the flu. Feel miserable.

pberggren1
11-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Both my new and old docs told me not to get the flu shot. They said while on strong immunosuppression that it could be dangerous.

Alysia
11-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Both my new and old docs told me not to get the flu shot. They said while on strong immunosuppression that it could be dangerous.

I think that Dr. Phil and his docs can say the final word on this debate ?

pberggren1
11-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Not really Alysia. Many docs still think a flu shot is fine for a healthy person and even many yet think we are find to get it as well. It will always be debated.

KimH
11-09-2013, 10:56 AM
As with everything in this weird disease our bodies respond differently. After my first flu shot I was, ok, perhaps a bit achy. Last year within 4 days the left side of my face swelled up and it has been one hell of a wild ride of a flare. That being said was the flare from the shot (dead virus) or was flare bound to happen, who knows. My rhuemy has some kind of patients that he doesn't recommend flu shots to but does recommend for his wegeners. I am NOT going to get one this year. It's my gamble.

Poppy64
11-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I think I will be following Dr. Phil's advice next year!

pberggren1
11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Do you watch my show?.......:wink1:

Wegetarian
11-10-2013, 02:12 AM
I think that Dr. Phil and his docs can say the final word on this debate ?

Well I disagree. I mean if it would be really dangerous to us then how would many rheumys recommend it? I do understand that live vaccines could be dangerous, and we are advised not to take them.

I'm wondering if there is more harm than good in taking a flu shot though..

Wheels
11-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Our docs said should get one We are going to get it next week hubby is starting to get cold so will wait until he is over that. Right now on prednisone and azathioprine and warfarin. That's the 3 big ones

Pete
11-10-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm wondering if there is more harm than good in taking a flu shot though..

That is the $64 question...

gilders
11-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Just had my flu yesterday. Slight itch 2 minutes after it, but so far no other issues. This is the 19th year in a row I've had one, so don't expect any complications.