PDA

View Full Version : First winter with Wegeners

Kellie613
10-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the cold and flu season? This is my first winter having Wegeners. I would like to stay as healthy as possible :) thanks!!

Pete
10-27-2013, 02:01 PM
1. Avoid sick people as best you can.
2. Practice good hand hygiene. Wash your hands often. Use sanitizer.
3. When in confined spaces, wearing a disposable surgical mask helps screen germs.
4. If you and your doc agree, get your flu shot (there will be a divergence of opinion on the forum about this).
5. Eat healthy and get your rest.

COWG
10-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Drinking hot tea, cider, coffee, and warm soups seemed to help my husband at least feel better...with all the sinus trouble. He also took RAW vitamin C.
Sleep, sleep, sleep...matters so much!

Alysia
10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Pete, cong for the new avatar ! you and your little sweet boy looks awesome :smile1:
how old is he and what is his name ?

Pete
10-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Pete, cong for the new avatar ! you and your little sweet boy looks awesome :smile1:
how old is he and what is his name ?

That's my grandson, Ezra Jack Schaeffer. He'll be two years old next month. He's Grandpop's best little buddy!

Kellie613
10-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks Pete,
i guess it's just common sense. I wondered myself about the flu shot. I have never been one for the flu shot. I always just practised good common sense in flu and cold season. I do work with the public. I'm a hairstylist and have just recently gone back to work part time. Maybe I'll consider the masks. Another thing I always used through the healthy years for me and my family was hot water with fresh lemon and honey to soothe a nasty cough.
Thanks again! Kellie

Kellie613
10-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Thank you COWG. that won't be problem for me...I love warm drinks and soups during the winter months. Our winter season is starting now here in Canada.
what do you mean by raw vitamin C?? Fruit?
thanks for your reply. I wish your husband good health :)
Kellie

me2
10-28-2013, 03:31 AM
When I come home from being in the public I rinse my sinus with salt and soda water. There is usually some crust to come out anyway. A little OCD? Maybe - ha.
But since I started being careful with washing my hands after public exposure and doing a sinus rinse when I get home many years ago I have not had the flu and only one wimpy cold. I'm actually getting those kinds of illness LESS than before WG.

Savva
10-28-2013, 06:06 AM
I do not have any tips, but when first symptoms come I take 1000 mg vitamin C once a day. (in tablets). This helps me not to get really sick. Usually I end up with sore throat at the worst, which I rinse with warm water with salt and soda until it gets normal again. Vitamin C (1g a day) for only 2-3 days - recovery afterwards. But every time I get cold, I loose my sense of smell and taste for about a week or even more. This is what really annoys me, have not found remedy for that :(

COWG
10-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Sorry about that. RAW vitamin C is the brand. We buy it at health food stores, a vitamin C supplement that's actually raw as opposed to synthetic.
We are not real health food people but this helps so much. Vitamin Code company has a whole series of RAW vitamins.

Kellie613
10-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Thank you!

Kellie613
10-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your reply...I'm enjoying a cup of hot water, fresh lemon and honey! It has always helped me and family during cold season. All the tips that have come my way are pretty much common sense. So, I'm doing the right things. Thanks again!! Kellie

annekat
10-29-2013, 03:21 AM
Kellie, you are right to be concerned about the colder weather, etc. I'm finding my symptoms increasing a bit, mainly I'm coughing more, which had really improved over the warmer months. This could be partly because I'm tapering pred, and I don't consider it a flare. But all the above suggestions are excellent, and it's true, it's mainly common sense, but we as Weggies do need to be extra careful to take precautions. I, too am not much of one for the flu shot, and don't think I've ever had one, although I'm sure my doc will mention it again this year. I have always gotten by fine without it, even while being treated for Wegs. It is a personal choice based partly on intuition and partly on what I've read on here.

drz
10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Kellie, you are right to be concerned about the colder weather, etc. I'm finding my symptoms increasing a bit, mainly I'm coughing more, which had really improved over the warmer months. This could be partly because I'm tapering pred, and I don't consider it a flare. But all the above suggestions are excellent, and it's true, it's mainly common sense, but we as Weggies do need to be extra careful to take precautions. I, too am not much of one for the flu shot, and don't think I've ever had one, although I'm sure my doc will mention it again this year. I have always gotten by fine without it, even while being treated for Wegs. It is a personal choice based partly on intuition and partly on what I've read on here.

I think keeping the humidity high and drinking lots of water and fluids is more important in winter time. Dry air irritates the throat and cracks the sinuses which increased risk of infection and sore throats.

annekat
10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I think keeping the humidity high and drinking lots of water and fluids is more important in winter time. Dry air irritates the throat and cracks the sinuses which increased risk of infection and sore throats. Very true. I make sure to have a pan of water on top of my wood stove when using it. And drinking lots of water and other fluids, preferably not caffeinated or alcoholic, is always good for everyone.

pberggren1
10-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Humidity for me makes no difference for the dryness and crusting in my nose or even my skin.

pberggren1
10-29-2013, 07:45 PM
I have the odd drink now and then......mostly when I am traveling. So beware if I come for a visit....keep your bars stocked well.

annekat
10-30-2013, 04:25 AM
I have the odd drink now and then......mostly when I am traveling. So beware if I come for a visit....keep your bars stocked well. I've been having the odd drink here at home. But usually just a very small amount of vodka, like a third of a shot, added to some fruit juice. Cranberry juice is best, the kind with no added sugar, not the "cocktail". If you come to visit, you might have to bring your own if you want something other than that.