PDA

View Full Version : Went to E.R. yesterday

Debbie C
10-26-2013, 10:05 AM
My mother has been sick for almost a month,very hot (but no fever, throwing up ( lost six pounds ) and very dizzy almost unable to walk. She just kept getting worse everyday but refused to go to the hosp.She did go the our pcp and he didn't know what was wrong but said if it was worse then take her in.Well she finally gave in yesterday. They did blood work,urine and chest and stomach x-ray.By the way while all this was going on her blood pressure was rising. It got to be 183 over ? and I said we give her a clonapine when it gets that high,well that went ignored for an hour until they took it again and it was now 195 over ? They got her a clonopine! The dr said everything came back fine and was ready to discharge her and then I stepped up to say she is not fine and there has got to be more tests. Well she said.. as she was getting off duty...we can do a ct scan.But that well take a couple more hours and probably nothing well show up. We had already been there 7 hrs. and I said do it now. In the meantime my chest was killing me, that I was having sharp pain and a hard time breathing. I've been walking around for a week holding my chest and having to take deep breaths so while she was getting that done I had them do a chest x-ray and it came back fine. I have a inflamed chest wall (too much lifting.) They told me to take some Alieve (which I'm not sure that and pred go together !) But after waiting another couple hours they said she has diverticulitis and has to be on 2 different anti-biotics for 10 days.So then I ask the dr. if these anti-biotics will counter act with her other meds and patch and he said definately not. WELL that's not what the pharmacist said when he gave me the drug interaction sheets !!!!!! So today she feels Alot better but I have to watch her and the drug mixture.THAT'S why I hate going to our e.r. here. Makes me wonder about my chest x-ray now ??? But I'm O.K. too today. Just needed to vent..drs. are so ready to dismiss you when they don't know:mad1:

Pete
10-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Debra,

Glad to hear you and Mom are feeling better. Hope you get a definitive cause for your chest pain, and that's it's fixable.

pberggren1
10-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for venting Deb. Just glad that your mom is doing better. Hope your chest pains go away as well.

annekat
10-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Same here, Deb. I'm glad we are here for venting. I hope everything will be OK for you and your mom.

mishb
10-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Possibly your chest pains had something to do with anxiety and worry about your mum for the past week.

I'm glad you are both a little better today.

You are a fantastic daughter Deb.......you did good :thumbsup::hug1:

Alysia
10-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Hi Debra,
you are such a devoted daughter. your mom is blessed to have you.
I must say that I am a bit worried about you, because you are taking care of her so well, but not enought taking care of yourself. do you already know what is causing your chest pains and what to do about it ? I wouldn't wait any longer if it is lasting for a week now. besides, since your mom is already getting her treatment, you can relax and take care of yourself more thoroughly.
btw - it seems to me that we, weggies, tend to be "other-oriented" and to take care of others, first of all, even before taking care of ourselves ??

vdub
10-27-2013, 08:39 PM
"They told me to take some Alieve (which I'm not sure that and pred go together !) "
Correct! Corticosteroids and NSAIDS taken together, greatly increase the chances of gastronomical bleeding.

Can Aleve be taken with prednisone? - Drug Interactions Questions - Ask a Pharmacist on Everyday Health - EverydayHealth.com (http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-questions/drug-interactions/can-aleve-be-taken-with-prednisone)

I wish I could take ibuprofen as it works wonders for my psoriatic arthritis, but I'm on cortef for the duration of this life....

Debbie C
11-02-2013, 03:16 AM
Thanks for that vdub I should print that out and show them that also !!
I think I may be going back to the e.r when my brother comes back from golfing (I'm having to take care of my mother right now..she is really sick from her diverticulitsis. She was in the hosp. for 2 days and sent her home.....too soon ) but I am having a very hard time breathing. I tried my breathing treatments last nite and that didn't help so I am going to the main hosp. which I'll probably be there at least 6 hrs. and see what they say..I'll keep ya'll posted.

Alysia
11-02-2013, 04:49 AM
Hi Debra. good decision. it is time to take care of yourself. I will keep you in my praying.

Debbie C
11-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Well I just got home from the hosp. and I have strained my chest wall. Shot me up with morphine and it still hurts and I want to throw up !!! They gave me a script for percesets and some muscle relaxer. Dr. said I can be this way for WEEKS !!!. I'm gonna go to bed now,haven't felt like this since the "70's" but I used to like it then...I guess I'm getting old.:sleep:

pberggren1
11-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Yikes!!! And this was caused from the coughing? At least you did not fracture ribs like I have.

annekat
11-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Sorry you are feeling rotten, Deb, but glad you know what's going on now.... I only "liked" because of your reference to the 70's. I'll bet you can heal faster than the doc thinks you might, if you take it easy and get lots of rest.

Pete
11-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the chest wall strain. I had a similar problem in early 2012. Felt like someone had hit me in the side with a sledge hammer. It took about three weeks for the constant aching to die down and another month until I was pain free. There's really not much you can do other than trying not to aggravate the injury. Hope the drugs give relief without getting you too stoned.

mishb
11-02-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't think the company makes enough bubble wrap to go around everyone that needs it :lol::lol:

I hope you start feeling better......really, really quickly. :hug1:

rebekah
11-02-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. I hope you feel better soon! :)

Alysia
11-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Hi Debra,
I am sorry for your pain :sad:
at least you know what it is. if I understand well it is not dangerous. (weggies should be careful allways). I admit I didn't know what it means so I googled it
The Diagnosis and Treatment of a Chest Wall Sprain - Orthopedics.Answers.com (http://orthopedics.answers.com/diagnosis/the-diagnosis-and-treatment-of-a-chest-wall-sprain)
try hot/ cold pack. maybe both, alternating. and rest enough.
I am sending you my love and gentle hugs :hug1:
take care and feel well asap.

Debbie C
11-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Phil ,I wasn't coughing, I was packing up some antique dishes I have in plastic bins,then stacking them higher then me. Too much wieght to be lifting and turning.That morphine still has be buzzed from last night so I haven't had to take anything today.:cantbrain: Phil how are you doing now ???? Michelle ,I think we need to take stock out in the bubble wrap factory..we could be rich !!

pberggren1
11-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Oh, I see. You sure must have been doing some heavy duty lifting Deb. I am doing better, thanks. Ribs are still sore but I have not used any pain meds for about a week now. I have lots of morphine left.