PDA

View Full Version : neilmed sinus rinse analogue

Savva
09-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Sorry people for not making good use of search function, because I am 80% sure it was asked before, but what is the next best to neilmed rinse I can use? I tried googled with no success either. I am in Czech Republic now and apparently they do not have it. Furthermore, almost none of pharmacists spoke English (but I cant tell for sure, only been to several pharmacies). Thank you.

pberggren1
09-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Well, I am not sure what would be the next best to the Neilmed rinse bottle. I use a Waterpik. Keep searching around and ask the pharmacists too.

Titus3:2
09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I use a rubber bulb syringe ,and mix my own solution using distilled water.A Waterpik works well if you can get one.Just be careful with the water pressure.

me2
09-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Neilmed comes as a kit here. It is a plastic bottle with tube that flushes water into the nose. The kit also contains packets of salt mixed with baking soda that are just of the right amount to mix one bottle of water in the Neilmed bottle. The most important part of the kit is the plastic bottle. I have been doing rinse for over thirty years and the Neilmed is a fairly recent innovation in my experience. Prior to that I mixed just sea salt with water in a small plastic tub like cottage cheese comes in and snuffed it gently up my nose. This actually works quite well. The rubber bulb syringe is a very close idea to the Neilmed bottle too.
BUT , the Neilmed bottle allows a gentler more complete rinse I think than snuffing. I think if you had the bottle you could mix up your own salt and soda instead of buying the packets pre-mixed from Neilmed. I am thinking about doing that myself this winter as a winter project.
The packets are very handy but kinda spendy for what they are.
If you message me your address through this web site I could get a Neilmed bottle kit here and send it to you- an early Christmas or birthday present from one Weggie to another.

annekat
09-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I think there are other brands that are something like the NeilMed. It is actually quite a simple system, and from what I gather by the accompanying literature, it is available world wide, although I guess some places get missed. I would think you could order it online from somewhere. I make my own mixture using one part salt to two parts baking soda as recommended by my ENT's nurse. Others might use a different formula such as half and half or more salt than baking soda. It probably all works OK; the baking soda buffers the salt somehow. I got tired of opening the little packets, and yes, it is more expensive that way, but the packets are nice to have for traveling and such. I just keep the mixture in a jar and dip into it with a half teaspoon measure, use a folded piece of paper or thin cardboard to dispense it into the bottle, and add 8oz water, up to the line, warm up to a comfortable but not too hot temp in the microwave. The bottle should be replaced every few months and can also be disinfected in the microwave according to directions included.

That is a nice offer, Kirk.... you are a very nice guy. I hope Savva will accept it if he cannot get it any other way.

Wegetarian
09-29-2013, 12:34 AM
They don't sell them here in Finland either, but I ordered mine from England. The prices in online pharmacies is so cheap and given the low postage costs in Europe I think it most likely cost me less than if they would have them in my local pharmacy. It can be difficult to search for a pharmacy that both has the Neilmed thingies for sale and to check that they ship to your country. What I did was to search on Ebay.com for "neilmed" and sort the results for lowest price and postage cost and then ordered two different Neilmed thingies.

To answer your original question Neti pots are quite good, they are available in most pharmacies over here and I've used one for years. (Actually still use it since I didn't like the electric Neilmed thingy so much and I haven't tried the manual Neilmed as I don't remember where I put it :))

The neti pot I use looks like this:

http://www.yogahealer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Neti-pot.jpeg

Wegetarian
09-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Found the item I bought:
NeilMed Sinus Rinse Starter Kit 15 Satches | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181219013758)

They offer worldwide shipping.

drz
09-29-2013, 02:50 AM
I can get the generic packets mixes for sinus rinses at Walgreen's Drug. The package says they contain about three parts salt to one part soda. I use those for travel but mix my own at home with same ratio. I found a cheap plastic spoon works great to put it into the rinse bottle if I use the back side of the handle.
When I use the power Grossan rinser I put in half to full spoonful into container.

Savva
09-29-2013, 03:01 AM
The neti pot I use looks like this:

http://www.yogahealer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Neti-pot.jpeg
Looks intimidatinghttp://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png. Thanks for the info.

Savva
09-29-2013, 06:16 AM
If you message me your address through this web site I could get a Neilmed bottle kit here and send it to you- an early Christmas or birthday present from one Weggie to another.
Haha, no thanks.. Anyways thank you for your support and advices.