PDA

View Full Version : To Mud Run or not to Mud Run?

NikkiNicole
09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Before I fell ill with this lovely monster, I was doing mud runs. A mud run is a 5k with obstacles that include a whole heck of a lot of mud. Mud pits, rope ladders, over unders, etc. They are a blast.

I signed up to do one at the end of October with a group of friends .... before being started on MTX. When I signed up, I was in the middle of my old doctor swearing I didn't have anything wrong with me so I didn't think about it.

Now I wonder ........ should I cancel? The mud gets in your mouth, and every other possible crevasse. Everyone is crawling in, and quite possibly peeing in, these mud pits. Would I be putting myself at risk doing it?

I know MTX isn't as strong as CTX but ... it's always in the back of my mind not to expose myself to something serious.

What do I do?! :confused1::unsure:

Dirty Don
09-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Just don't be dumb....

gilders
09-18-2013, 01:51 AM
I really couldn't say if mud is any more likely to have dangerous bacteria than everyday airborn bacterias and bacteria you may come across on anything that you touch. BUT I'd be more cncerned about pushing you body beyond it's limits. Although there is no definitive proof that stress can cause a flare/relapse, through my own experience I think stress does encourage a flare.

I was 18 when I first went in to remission. I had not been abroad before and between my friends we decided to go to the Dominican Republic. I'd come of the chemo, but was still on high doses of Pred. All my family were demanding that I didn't go on holiday, especially to a country that isn't very advanced medically. I had been so close to death that I just wanted to live a little. I went on the holiday and did things I know were risky (whitewater rafting) and drinking way too much 151 proof rum.
I had an amazing time, experienced new things and became addicted to travelling.

I guess what I'm saying is don't give up on life and let WG rule your life. BUT 5K?? I'm struggling to walk 50 metres at the moment.

Debbie C
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Nikki it does sound like a blast except for maybe people peeing in it and then you get a mouthful of mud and the way you have been feeling lately that just may be pushing yourself to the limit. Do you have to do the whole 5k ?:razz:

NikkiNicole
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Yea, unfortunately, the 5k is the minimum amount. I mentioned it when someone asked what I was doing on that day and then it dawned on me that I signed up thinking that by the end of October I'd be fit as a fiddle again. At most when I go for walks I can do 2 miles, not 3.5 right now. And ... after said mud run I'm supposed to come to work for 14 hours.
It just doesn't sound like an all around great idea at the moment.
I don't know what the people around me are doing, it's everyone's sweat and whatever being washed into the mud. It just makes me cringe now ... whereas before, the mud didn't bother me.

I hate to have to back out after paying so much to do it. But, I would hate to pay an even bigger price with my health if I do it.

:thumbdn:

Pete
09-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Wait until next year. The mud will still be there, and you should be stronger.

Woodsyartist
09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
I find it funny how when I am the midst of something fun and active, I do not feel so bad, but I have learned the after effects about three hours later and into the next day stink.
I want so badly to do those active things, but every day is like a scale of give-and-take of energy.

There will be plenty of other mud runs.....

pberggren1
09-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Personally I would avoid it. I can think of much better ways to get exercise and have fun at the same time and stay in a healthy environment.

gilders
09-21-2013, 02:30 AM
So Nikki,
Please tell us you've made your mind up and this year you're giving it a miss.

Alysia
09-21-2013, 02:42 AM
So Nikki,
Please tell us you've made your mind up and this year you're giving it a miss.

Hi Gilders, cong for you new avatar !

NikkiNicole
09-21-2013, 04:13 AM
I will be skipping out on the mud run this year. As my symptoms seem to be getting worse at the moment and not better, I have to go see my doc on Tuesday to discuss a potential different treatment plan as this one isn't doing much.
However, I am thankful that the worsening symptoms are in my nose and sinus area and I am not peeing red or anything yet.
Alas ... maybe I'll be on the mud run circuit for 2014!

gilders
09-21-2013, 04:24 AM
It's always good to have something focus on. As mentioned before I have my grand vacation planned (Vegas-Grand Canyon-Deep South-Florida) and I'm determined to make it.
Just need the cash and my health to settle back down to MY normal before I book it.

"peeing red" that brings back memories. One of my nurses used to call it Pete's Peach Punch.

NikkiNicole
09-21-2013, 04:57 AM
I drink a gallon of water a day so usually things look pretty clear on my end. I do find myself a bit overreacting when it's any other color because I am well hydrated. The hydration also puzzles me when I have doctors say I have "dry eyes" or a "dry nose". You would think the well hydrated body would keep those mucous areas wet!

I am still holding out hope to go to either Hawaii or ... bite the bullet, go on a crazy long flight and go to Europe. Someday ....

pberggren1
09-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Nikki is just a dirty girl.

drz
09-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Nasal symptoms seem the hardest to get rid and often first to appear. Drinking a lot of water doesn't necessary equal having your body hydrated but not drink enough usually does lead to being dehydrated. When I have seen blood in my urine it usually wasn't as serious as when my kidneys were hemorrhaging but I couldn't see it with naked eye o0nly through lab tests or dip stick test. Dry eyes may be more related to side effect of the meds we take. I did find it strange that one the signs of dry eyes was having excessive tearing in eyes but they explained that was the body trying to compensate for the dryness. Some times I also dream of being able to travel again for any distance more than a few hours away but most of the time I think it is not very likely to happen. But maybe someday???

annekat
09-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Nikki, I guess I have to concur with the others who say you should skip it this year. It just sounds like too much risk and too hard on your body. I agree with Woodsyartist that the aftereffects will be crappy, and working 14 hours right afterwards? I don't think it is a good idea, especially considering how you have been feeling. I'm sorry to think of you missing it and losing the money, but I think it is the best thing.