PDA

View Full Version : Getting well .... well, almost well.

Carol
07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Just thought I’d let people know how well I am these days.
I think for Weggies it’s good to know that many people do get well again – well almost. It’s been 15 months since I was first diagnosed and have gone from being reduced to just a shuffle and spending most of my day lying down to being quite active again. I tell people that I can do almost everything that I used to do but I am much more mindful of the need for resting. I do get constantly reminded that I have not had a rest or meditated by getting the wobbles. I still have some nerve damage in my feet but it is bearable. The nerve damage in my face and fingers has gone. My left knee and leg is still weak but otherwise virtually everything is Ok. I still have sinus build up.
What do I think I owe my recovery to – maybe this will help others? I meditate nearly every day which involves bringing the white light into every part of my body, I am blessed that at 55years I no longer work so have had time to convalesce, I live in a very healthy small town beside the sea, I have always done exactly what my doc has told me to do except that I drop my Prednisolone in much smaller increments than he suggests, I am basically a positive person who loves to read and think “alternate” thoughts, and lastly I have a healthy veggie patch which for about 7 months each year provides us with nearly all of our own veggies. Oh yes, this site has been wonderful for me in that I didn’t feel so isolated with my disease.
So for those of you who wonder do any Weggies get well, I hope this gives you encouragement that there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
Regards Carol

Jack
07-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Great to hear that you are doing so well Carol. :)

I am vegetarian (lifelong) and practiced yoga for many years and I'm sure that looking after both your mind and body is a great help. However, I'm under no illusions about the vagaries of Wegener's and its unpredictable path. I don't think there is a magic bullet.

Hope you continue to improve!

andrew
07-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Well done on getting so well! I think meditation is great too. I'm hopeless at it though but that's really my own fault. I don't do it often enough. I love that you;ve managed to have your own vegies, something for me to aim at!

Sangye
07-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Carol, I love to hear about a Weggie doing so well! Thanks for updating--

Doug
07-20-2009, 03:54 AM
Carol- Weggies do need to have positive examples brought forward, too! Great news from you, and great testimony to the influences of diet and mind over our BFF. Especially this season, when there have been examples of WG taking people from our forum, your posting is just the tonic we need!:)

coffeelover
07-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Carol,

I am just catching up on some past posts and felt the need to congratulate you on your "remission". Although Wegs is unpredicatable you have found a way to create an attitude that will succeed! I truly believe that a good attitude will help in a quicker recovery. I too, feel that by taking the high road, I recovered quicker than others from my tracheal Stenosis.
For me the disease is always looming. I might feel good, but know in the background that tomorrow I may not. Each and every time I get a twing of the WEG me, I almost go into a panic, so your suggestion to try meditation would be something I may need to do. I, like Andrew have never been good at it. Advice on the simple way to get started and maybe I will take a swing at it.
I am happy for you and wish you continued success!
Coffeelover

Jack
07-24-2009, 06:53 AM
I used to find that Yoga Nidra was helpful. You can get CDs that talk you through it.

jola57
07-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Wonderful feeling to be able to do some of the regular activities again isn't it. Glad you are in a long remission state. Your positive attitude is a sure helped.