PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Finally!

andrew
09-14-2013, 10:16 PM
This is the third or fourth time I've tried to upgrade the forum software. This time I got some help from a geek-genius in the data center that hosts my server and it worked :)

Things might look and act a little differently however by and large all should be the same. One thing to watch for is that you can see new posts since your last login not by clicking the 'What's New' button but by clicking the 'new posts' link under the 'Forum' tab near the top of the page. Not sure why that is but will take a look at changing it.

If any of you have had any issues previously e.g. loading blank pages, please let me know if these still exist.

Wegetarian
09-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks Andrew!

I'll let you know if I spot something funky going on. BTW, I hope there is a process of doing backups of the forums posts - it would be such a shame if we lost a bunch of threads due to a hack or computer malfunction (especially sad to lose the ones from members who are no longer with us I guess).

Will you let us know if you need any contributions to paying for the bandwith & maintenance?

pberggren1
09-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Right from day one I have always just clicked on the new posts button. But I do remember back when the front page would have a list of the new posts and threads.

andrew
09-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Right from day one I have always just clicked on the new posts button. But I do remember back when the front page would have a list of the new posts and threads.

I think I've worked out how to get it back to the way t was before :)

andrew
09-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks Andrew!

I'll let you know if I spot something funky going on. BTW, I hope there is a process of doing backups of the forums posts - it would be such a shame if we lost a bunch of threads due to a hack or computer malfunction (especially sad to lose the ones from members who are no longer with us I guess).

Will you let us know if you need any contributions to paying for the bandwith & maintenance?

Thanks :) Yes I have backups running to a local backup server that is maintained by the data centre.

As for contributions, a few people have mentioned that. I will set something up soon!

andrew
09-15-2013, 10:32 AM
I think I've worked out how to get it back to the way t was before :)

I think I fixed it. Can someone please click the 'New Posts' tab near the top? Tell me what you see.

mishb
09-15-2013, 10:42 AM
I think I fixed it. Can someone please click the 'New Posts' tab near the top? Tell me what you see.

Is it different?? I can't tell :razz:
I always click on the New Posts tab, never on the What's New because that always says there is nothing new - lol

NikkiNicole
09-15-2013, 10:57 AM
I have always clicked on New Posts, because I am all caught up and want to read only the new stuff. Weird.
I do notice that people who are currently "online" are now green!

andrew
09-15-2013, 11:48 AM
I do notice that people who are currently "online" are now green!

I know my name is green when I'm online but hadn't noticed the others - mostly because I'm colour blind :)

andrew
09-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Oh yes also note the Activity Stream which is accessed via a link under the 'What's New' tab. It's kind of like the Facebook news feed:

Activity Stream - Wegener's Granulomatosis Disease Support Forum (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/activity.php)

NikkiNicole
09-15-2013, 11:58 AM
You're right. You're the only green one. I was wrong. There is a lil green light that's lit up when we are online though, next to the names.

andrew
09-15-2013, 12:02 PM
You're right. You're the only green one. I was wrong. There is a lil green light that's lit up when we are online though, next to the names.

Whew! Thanks :) I was getting worried but blamed it on the small font haha.

andrew
09-15-2013, 12:03 PM

And just tweaked it. The 'What's New' tab will now display new posts properly. Yay!

drz
09-15-2013, 12:37 PM

I use the new posts and like it and it seems the same to me. The What's New link comes up blank but new posts shows one.

Wegetarian
09-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Tried attaching a picture, 103kb 800*600px. Got this error. If I try to click on the exclamation mark it won't give me any more info. Not really sure what the restrictions are for picture sizes in posts - but I think in the past I was at least informed if I exceeded some limits.

http://content.screencast.com/users/Daniel_snagit/folders/Snagit/media/9db03117-9f36-495c-8039-dfac67a631b6/2013-09-15_08-53-25.png

If I host it elsewhere and select the option to retrieve the file locally I will get a message that the file is too large. So in that case I am at least informed what the issue is.

andrew
09-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Tried attaching a picture, 103kb 800*600px. Got this error. If I try to click on the exclamation mark it won't give me any more info. Not really sure what the restrictions are for picture sizes in posts - but I think in the past I was at least informed if I exceeded some limits.

http://content.screencast.com/users/Daniel_snagit/folders/Snagit/media/9db03117-9f36-495c-8039-dfac67a631b6/2013-09-15_08-53-25.png

If I host it elsewhere and select the option to retrieve the file locally I will get a message that the file is too large. So in that case I am at least informed what the issue is.

Interesting. There should also be an option to select the picture once it's uploaded. I think I set the limit at 80k though. Will check and see what the settings look like.

andrew
09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
1927 This is an image test

andrew
09-15-2013, 05:30 PM

'tarian - can you give it another blast?

pberggren1
09-15-2013, 09:02 PM
I love your new profile pic Nikki. You are very cute.....;)

andrew
09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
I love your new profile pic Nikki. You are very cute.....;)

Agreed :w00t: :thumbsup:

Wegetarian
09-16-2013, 12:27 AM
'tarian - can you give it another blast?

Sure, now it doesn't ask me if I want to upload it to the forums, but instead have to give an URL - so I guess its solved ;) Dunno, for some it might be much easier to just upload a pic to the forum but I guess its not that difficult to get pics hosted and I don't see too many peolpe using pics anyway...

I have a new worry though, if I use the "manage attachments options" to attach a picture I will get a nasty looking error.

How to reproduce:

1. Reply to a thread and press "Go Advanced"

2. Then in the advanced post press "Manage Attachments" (see screen shot)

3. Another pop up opens and select a picture to attach (also visible in the same screen shot)

4. When uploading the picture the user is presented with an error message about running out of memory.

"Manage attachments" screen shot:

http://content.screencast.com/users/Daniel_snagit/folders/Snagit/media/a7ffce51-e9cc-4d2d-86ac-ad8cabb4d2d6/2013-09-15_17-18-48.png

Error screen shot:

http://content.screencast.com/users/Daniel_snagit/folders/Snagit/media/0d48d2ee-fbda-4ecd-ae75-19f93358b831/2013-09-15_17-17-17.png

BTW, those attachment sizes listed in the Manage attachment window are super small. Maybe it would indeed be better to disable it altogether?

Alysia
09-16-2013, 03:23 AM
my profile looks different ! thanks andrew :thumbsup:

btw - my 2 sons and my father are color blind... it is sometimes very funny... (like bringing from school a pic of a man with green face, he saw it as brown)

gmyi
09-16-2013, 04:09 AM
I am also color blind as I know it is past from the mother to male child that explains your father and sons blindness

Alysia
09-16-2013, 04:37 AM
I am also color blind as I know it is past from the mother to male child that explains your father and sons blindness

WOW, gymi, you are from Israel ! I am sending you PM
נעבור לעברית

gmyi
09-16-2013, 04:50 AM
אני מיקיר מאיפה את

Alysia
09-16-2013, 04:53 AM
אני מיקיר מאיפה את
אני כותבת לך בהודעות הפרטיות. אנא ראה.
מוטב שם ולא פה ב"אמצע הפורום".

Alysia
09-16-2013, 05:00 AM
תסתכל בראש העמוד ותראה שיש ציון לכך שקיבלת הודעות
או שתיכנס לתיבת הדואר שלך ותבדוק דואר נכנס
לא נעים להשתלט פה על המרחב לשיחה פרטית

pberggren1
09-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Can we please all speak English? I would love to learn Hebrew but looks a tad hard.......:flapper:

Alysia
09-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Can we please all speak English? I would love to learn Hebrew but looks a tad hard.......:flapper:

I am sorry... :blushing: no secrets... I just wrote to him where to find my PM... and I was excited to find him... and also checking if hebrew went well on the forum... :lol: yes. it is. thanks andrew for building such amazing place.

sure I can teach Hebrew everyone who wants it... then we can have "secret language", like at home in Israel, parents are speaking english when they don't want the kids to understand what they are talking about....

pberggren1
09-16-2013, 04:50 PM
I've always wanted to learn Hebrew and Greek and even Aramaic.

Wegetarian
09-16-2013, 10:05 PM
הו לא שלה שפה סודית. משמש כבר גוגל לתרגם כדי לבדוק מה ששניכם עד.
טכנולוגיה מתקדמת שעושה את זה כל כך קל לעקוב אחרי כולם ...

Sorry for any typos and bad grammar :)

gmyi
09-16-2013, 10:13 PM
hi
good try and excellent idea keep going and you will learn the language fast

Alysia
09-16-2013, 11:59 PM
הו לא שלה שפה סודית. משמש כבר גוגל לתרגם כדי לבדוק מה ששניכם עד.
טכנולוגיה מתקדמת שעושה את זה כל כך קל לעקוב אחרי כולם ...

Sorry for any typos and bad grammar :)

Hi Wegetarian,
cool :thumbup:
I will translate what you wrote so that the others can understand:
"no secret language. I check google translate to see what you2 are writing... advanced technology that makes it easier to follow everyone".
am I correct ?

Wegetarian
09-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Yeah, although I used the word "spy on everyone". From what I checked it looked like it meant "keep track on everything". Guess the words aren't too exact matches.

But there are much better resources to learn new languages, wouldn't recommend google translate for that. But its pretty nifty in situations like this :)

mishb
09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi Wegetarian,
cool :thumbup:
I will translate what you wrote so that the others can understand:
"no secret language. I check google translate to see what you2 are writing... advanced technology that makes it easier to follow everyone".
am I correct ?

I did the same thing - but I wasn't smart enough or imaginative enough to write something back and translate it back again. :razz::flapper:
- good job Wege :thumbsup:

Wegetarian
09-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Haha, thanks :) Actually I'm a bit hesitant to use it to translate to another language, but thought it would be fun. The translations are usually quite bad. I think it works quite well for major languages - like translating a page from the German Amazon to English (especially since I have a basic understanding of German so its easier to understand what the mistakes should mean while getting a better grasps of the technical details of the product).

A web site that sold plane tickets used automatic translation that said in my language that they were selling tickets to a flying board. Didn't really sound like a reliable service.