PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

MikeG-2012
09-14-2013, 04:49 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Mike, and I reside in northern Illinois, USA. Was diagnosed with Wegeners back in April of 2012 after many years of 5 doctors telling me "you're not sick enough to have Wegeners". Had esophagus lesions, asthma symptoms, chronic sinus infections and crusting, inner ear infection that required 2 ear tubes until it was cleared up, random rheumatoid flare ups, foot pain (like walking on broken feet), small and large skin lesions, and much more. But, I wasn't sick enough...

Anyway, after Granulomas took over both of my lungs, I wound up at another hospital system (Monroe, WI), and was immediately scheduled for a lung biopsy, which definitively confirmed a Wegeners diagnosis. I thank God that we went to Monroe ER that day, and not to my local hospital system where the aforementioned 5 docs practice. During my hospital stay (9 days, 10 nights), I met a PA from the the hospital who has Wegeners. He spent a considerable time talking to me about the disease, and how it has affected his life. He was the person who had the pleasure of doing the chemical pleurodesis procedure to seal up my left lung after it would not seal up after the biopsy. At one point, I had a pulmonologist, a rheumatologist, a surgeon, a hospitalist, and PA in my room discussing my case with me. This hospital system has been described as a "mini-Mayo clinic", and I will say that I concur. My Rheumatologist started me immediately on the 4 months of high dose prednisone and 6 months of Cytoxin. That was not fun in last year's summer heat wave here in the Midwest. So as of now, I'm currently on Mychophenolate for six more months (sulfa allergies kept me off other options). For the most part, WG is still negative in all blood tests every couple months. My lungs are still at the 75% mark, and I think that is the best it's going to be from now on.

My biggest issue now is the crusting in my right sinus, caused by the damage from the WG prior to diagnosis. It's been an uphill battle--really uphill. I'm running 3 liters of saline through my sinuses two times a day to keep the sinus open (using a water pick type device). The constant chronic infection has my upper sinus passages blocked shut, which equates to a bout of 8 months of chronic sinus headaches. The past month I've had another bad flare up, which has caused debilitating migraine headaches. I finally broke down and asked for Rx pain pills. I've always been able to tough through almost any pain, as I have a very high pain tolerance. So I'm dealing with the emotional side of feeling like I've had to give up/give in to the pain pills. But once this started affecting my work attendance, I had to do something. I am really fortunate to work at a place that has been more than supportive of me while I've gone through all of this. I am also very fortunate to only have used 8 sick days in the past 18 months because of the disease (I'm not counting doctor visits). For that, I feel really blessed, and wish I could give some of you who are struggling more than I, a tiny bit of that blessing.

OK, I've taken enough of your time getting to know me.

If I had one question for the group, it would be, do any of you suffer from chronic sinus crusting and infections, and what have you done to help with that? My ENT doesn't want to do a procedure to open up my upper sinus passages, until the infection in the lower sinus is at least somewhat under control. Neither of us wants to do a multi thousand dollar surgery to only have it lat a month or two because the infection snaps the upper passages back shut again. So can anyone share their remedies, ideas, suggestions, proven techniques? Help, PLEASE!

MikeG-2012

gilders
09-14-2013, 05:47 AM
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. I've had Wegener's for 19 years and even during the best remission periods, my ears, nose and sinuses always cause issues.
You'll find that some people have their lungs severely effected and others have their kidneys (such as me) severely effected. But there is one thing that all Wegeners patients suffer from and that's sinus and nose problems.

The last 12 months my crusting as been worse than usual, as well as more frequent nose bleeds. I had a nasal biopsy last Saturday to see if I'm having a relapse; hopefully not.

I've not had surgery on my nose or sinuses, so I'm probably not the best person to make recommendations in that department. I'm sure there's others on this forum who've had some sort of sinus surgery. I'm a new member, but everyone seems a friendly bunch and don't worry about asking too many questions, we all enjoy helping each other out.

pberggren1
09-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Hi Mike,

In 2009/2010 I had a massive sinus infection as well that was very stubborn. I did several rounds of Moxifloxacin and Amoxicilin but it just kept coming back. Then in 2010 if finally didn't come back.

Once the infection is gone for you and you can breath through your nose I strongly advise against any nasal surgery because it can easily cause the Wegs to flare up. Just keep using the Waterpik to irrigate. I have been using one for almost 10 years now. And make sure you use purified water like RO or distilled. Boiling tap water will not suffice as it has too many bacteria and algae in it....even a good well can have that. And make sure you are using pure salt with no additives like coarse salt or sea salt and with baking soda as a buffer. The rinse should not burn your nose or feel unpleasant in any way. If it does then you are using too much salt and/or not using enough baking soda.

I hope this helps. I'm not sure what sinuses you are referring to. And I hope your ENT knows Wegs. I personally have never come across an ENT that knows Wegs well enough to want to go in and make drainage holes larger. And I know 17 ENTs.

MikeG-2012
09-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the response. I have had decent luck with Alkalol that I add to a rinse alkalolcompany.com. Gives a little relief with the menthol, etc. in it.

MikeG-2012
09-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks Phil. My ENT has several weg patients and is REALLY good. When has questions, my rheumatologist is two halls away, and usually drags him in for opinions. For me, allergies to penicillin and sulfa narrow antibiotic choices.

Ive been using distiller water and pickling salt as recommended by ENT and Mayo.

Thanks for the response!
Mike

mishb
09-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Hi Mike G and welcome.

I'm slowly catching up on yesterday posts.

I seem to have the same nasal/sinus issues as you - also just on the right side.
My ENT's (I have seen 4 so far at the ENT clinic) all have said that they will not operate until such time as the inflammation is down.
They would dearly like me to be off all meds before they will consider doing any sinus opening work.

So at this stage it is 2 different antibiotic creams to keep the infections away, and also daily rinses.

Take care

annekat
09-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Welcome, Mike. I'm not sure if I welcomed you when you first joined. I have sinus issues with the usual crusting and build up of mucus chunks in my nasal cavity, but it is not as severe as yours sounds. I do the sinus rinses every day but not to the extent that you do. I figure I have enough sinus damage that I'll be doing this for the rest of my life. I have also tried Alkalol, pre-Wegs, and had sort of forgotten about it. It is called a "mucus solvent", which sounds like exactly what we need. But I can't offer you any tips that you don't already know. I just wanted to say I'm glad you found us and look forward to hearing more from you.

MikeG-2012
09-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Hi Mike G and welcome.

I'm slowly catching up on yesterday posts.

I seem to have the same nasal/sinus issues as you - also just on the right side.
My ENT's (I have seen 4 so far at the ENT clinic) all have said that they will not operate until such time as the inflammation is down.
They would dearly like me to be off all meds before they will consider doing any sinus opening work.

So at this stage it is 2 different antibiotic creams to keep the infections away, and also daily rinses.

Take care

thanks for the reply Michelle. Would you care to share which ointments and how you use them? It's always nice to have ideas in the back pocket when working with any doc! (-8

MikeG-2012
09-16-2013, 05:39 AM
Welcome, Mike. I'm not sure if I welcomed you when you first joined. I have sinus issues with the usual crusting and build up of mucus chunks in my nasal cavity, but it is not as severe as yours sounds. I do the sinus rinses every day but not to the extent that you do. I figure I have enough sinus damage that I'll be doing this for the rest of my life. I have also tried Alkalol, pre-Wegs, and had sort of forgotten about it. It is called a "mucus solvent", which sounds like exactly what we need. But I can't offer you any tips that you don't already know. I just wanted to say I'm glad you found us and look forward to hearing more from you.

i saw somewhere that Walgreens had it on sale this month too.

I'm glad I found the group too. I haven't said anything on regular facebook either because I'm a very private person, and dont ever post about private things. The people who need to know about it, and my co-workers know, now this group, and that is enough for me. (-8

mishb
09-16-2013, 09:26 AM

I'm glad I found the group too. I haven't said anything on regular facebook either because I'm a very private person, and dont ever post about private things. The people who need to know about it, and my co-workers know, now this group, and that is enough for me. (-8

I try and let as many people know as I can.
Not for me - because basically apart from the nose and some joint pain, I am fine.

However, I'm sure that there are people all over the place, not being diagnosed correctly and I like to try and raise a little bit of awareness about AI and vasculitis conditions.
The more people who know (especially the local GP's), the better

annekat
09-17-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm glad I found the group too. I haven't said anything on regular facebook either because I'm a very private person, and dont ever post about private things. The people who need to know about it, and my co-workers know, now this group, and that is enough for me. (-8 I will have to check Walgreen's and also Rite Aid, where I get my prescriptions filled. Last time I bought Alkalol, neither of them had it on the shelves and it had to be special ordered. Maybe that is no longer the case. That was several years ago.

mishb
09-17-2013, 10:14 PM
thanks for the reply Michelle. Would you care to share which ointments and how you use them? It's always nice to have ideas in the back pocket when working with any doc! (-8

Mike, I initially used an ointment called Bactroban nasal ointment - I think I must have got used to it, because after a while it didn't seem to work anymore.

Now when I need to get rid of the really bad scabbing, I use an ointment called Kenacomb Otic ointment. I try to use this, one week on and then one week off (when I can remember) - sometimes more and sometimes less often. I then save the Bactroban for if or when, I get an infection.