PDA

View Full Version : Vasculitis patients at risk during times of stress

Wegetarian
09-03-2013, 03:33 AM
Found it to be a bit self evident... But dunno, maybe it is of some interest and at least evidence that stress should be avoided if possible.

"Patients with vasculitis who are in remission are at a greater risk of the disease flaring up if they are experiencing stress"

"it was found that self-reported feelings of prolonged psychological stress directly correlated to ischemic strokes."

Vasculitis patients at risk during times of stress (http://www.barchester.com/Media/News/2011/11/vasculitis-patients-at-risk-during-times-of-stress.htm)

annekat
09-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Yep, I think a lot of us have experienced this. If we do not have an actual flare under times of mental and emotional stress, or physical stress, too, we can at least feel a temporary increase in symptoms. We really must be careful about this.

gilders
09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Not only can stress induce a flare up, but stress can mask your own self awareness that you're having a flare up.
The first time I relapsed I picked up on it before my ANCA tests were positive. My second relapse happened during a very stressful period and I put my tiredness and ill health down to the stress, not realising I was having a relapse.

Wegetarian
09-09-2013, 12:56 AM
That's a good point gliders, haven't really considered that. My work usually involves a lot of stress. I also completed a quite well respected project management certificate recently, and even then figured it probably isn't the right job for me due to not liking stress and long days. Guess I won't really need apply for those kind of jobs, especially in the kind of IT projects I'm used to work in due to tight schedules and the contsant troubles that we often get and would be my responsibility if I was managing the projects.

I have also noticed that when my kids are really screaming and shouting it drains my energy a lot quicker than usual. Guess it might be the stress. Which is really unfortunate, as they are usually very tired and hungry when I pick them up from school / daycare and certainly not on their best behaviour while I would like to spend as much time and be there for them it often feels quite rough for me. Hopefully this will change soon, I mean my medication has just recently started and I'm still on sick leave for a while.

NikkiNicole
09-09-2013, 02:46 AM
I work in law enforcement. I'm a dispatcher/911 call taker. It can be so smooth sailing, but then, suddenly ... stress city. One doctor explained to one of our dispatchers that we live in the "on" position. We may feel like we are just hanging out, doing other tasks between calls but our adrenal glands are primed and ready to go. Subconsciously, we KNOW something big could happen any second, quite literally, so our body is ready even though we may not be consciously aware of it.
It's something I've had to take into consideration with this diagnosis of mine. Thankfully, i do love what I do. I love when I have to spring into action, I just know I can't go WAY overboard with the overtime.
I can feel my body react to the stress.
I can feel it a LOT more since getting this THING!

To all my fellow weggies out there, just remember to take a moment and take a few deep breaths.