PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the midwest USA

Toni
09-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Hi everyone~

Our 12 year old son, Jaxon, was diagnosed with limited ocular wegeners in Oct 2012. He had 2 or 3 flare-ups the prior 2 years before diagnosis that would finally respond to prednisone. As a youngster, there were times I was worried he had asthma, allergies, or ear problems, and I now wonder if all that was related to W-G. He started weekly 25 mg Methotrexate by mouth the end of October (with daily folic acid except on methotrexate day) and then was tapered off his prednisone.

Initially, had some significant headache issues with the methotrexate but that has been much better if he stays well hydrated.

He still has some upset stomach with dosing and actually this past week vomited up his dose. I'm wondering if we might be heading towards the SQ route for his methotrexate. Input on on oral vs subcutaneous route would be appreciated!

He is one that his ANCAs have always been negative, but other inflammatory markers (sed rate and CRP) have been elevated. His positive biopsy came from a wound in his eyelid.

We are seeing a pediatric rheumatologist at a University Hospital....with whom we have been very happy with...they keep close tabs on him! Sounds like he'll be on the methotrexate for ~2 years and then try him off of it....they've told us 50% chance of remission at that point. I don't know at that point if it reoccurs he would go back on the methotrexate or up a level of drug. I think we'll just plan on remission!!

When Jaxon was first diagnosed....I just cried for him (and us) and then days later cried for those people and parents of kids who suffered with this in the 1970s and before....they did not have the weapons available today. Gives me hope that generations to come will have an even better arsenal!

Thanks for reading and for all the valuable input and support!
~Toni

drz
09-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Welcome! Sorry you need to be here but glad you found us. The staff at UM were great and helped me survive Wegs. One doctor told me my history of ear, and sinus problems probably helped set me up for Wegs. Most of us had symptoms of Wegs long before we got diagnosed.

Alysia
09-03-2013, 03:29 AM
Hi Toni,
I'm so sorry for you and for your son. I feel for you :hug2:
there are couple of parents of teens here in the forum, so I believe they can help you.
considering MTX - because of vommiting, I am taking it differently: 2.5 mg per day x 6 days a week. (15 mg for week). you can ask the docs about this way.
you are in good hands here. the friends here are kind and generous and giving a lot of info and support.
I hope your son will soon feel better and get into long lasting remision. it is possible.

annekat
09-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Welcome, Toni! I'm so sorry your son is going through that, and you along with him. But I'm so glad you found the forum.... it is such an important part of dealing with WG for most of us on here. I have learned so much, made new friends, and would really be in the dark without it. Please continue to post on here with questions and concerns, and updates on Jaxon. It is highly likely that he will improve greatly now that he's on proper treatment. Perhaps the 25mg. MTX was a lot for him to start on.... many on here have started with a smaller dose and worked their way up, to get used to the side effects. Good luck to Jaxon, you, and the family!

Dirty Don
09-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Welcome Toni and to your son also. Glad Jaxon's WG is limited...mtx should be enough for him along with pred. I've been on pred and mtx for 2 years now, am off pred at the end of this month and docs are talking mtx next year provided my numbers remain good. Then, if mtx isn't doing it, it's off to rtx...most docs will step up to the next best thing rather than increase a current dose of whatever. It makes sense in that the effort here is to control the disease, not eliminate it...can't do that yet. So, hitting it as hard as they dare with some room to move (rtx) in case it gets worse. Best to you both.

NikkiNicole
09-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Welcome to our unfortunate family,
I am so sorry your young son has to be going through this. I often find myself unable to wrap my mind around what's going on with me and I am a grown adult!!! Thankfully, you now have all of us as a your sounding board. I am also on MTX for a minimum of two years (only been on it a month) and starting my prednisone taper this week if things keep looking OK. I'm a limited weggie too in that only my sinuses, nose and very little lung involvement. I did have some major joint pain back before the definite diagnosis but the prednisone has been keeping that at bay for now. I do hope it hasn't spread to my joints for good.
You will love this place. Everyone is very knowledgable in their own way. Wegener's affects people in SO many different ways with so many different combinations of symptoms that everyone has advice on how to deal with it in their own way. We all have different yet similar medication cocktails and side effects from those as well.
You will always find someone who can help you through what you are going through.
Hang in there, keep your head up and know that you are absolutely not alone.

- Nikki