PDA

View Full Version : Dry Mouth

DJS
08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
My wife came home from the dentist after a check up and she was told that she had 7 cavities that needed to be fixed. This includes one under a crown that will need to be replaced. Her dentist said that he had prescribed a mouth wash, but she didn't use it daily. Oops! She is not sure if the dry mouth is from the pred or from the immuron. She has been off pred since Feb or Mar.
Any one else have this kind of damage in the mouth? I did a search for dry mouth but just mentions.

pberggren1
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Dry mouth is serious and needs immediate attention all the time.

Dirty Don
08-20-2013, 12:54 PM
The dry mouth is partly drugs, but also an effect of WG for some of us who have it...not fun...I should have invested in Ricola...I've eaten half their stock! My rheumy didn't seem to know where to go with it so I asked...she said hard candies...many Weggies have it, they don't really know how to stop it...

Alysia
08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
my dry mouth is because I can hardly breath through my nose.

pberggren1
08-21-2013, 05:50 AM

Ya, breathing through the mouth can really dry it out.

NikkiNicole
08-21-2013, 07:53 AM
I had a salivary gland removed in the beginning of all this process ... and unfortunately, it's made dry mouth even worse for me. The prednisone really dries out my mouth too. I use a special toothpaste called Prevident for dry mouth. I think it has flouride in it to help my teeth from rotting away.
I already broke a tooth last month and had to get a crown. :crying:

drz
08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Dental problems are real common with Wegs and diabetes as both cause dry mouth and problems with calcium absorption. I have had many teeth just fracture and needed to be capped. Fillings also get loose and fall out. it is important to take calcium supplements and Vitamin D when on pred meds. Lot of rinsing and brushing and flossing also help reduce the damage a bit along with over the counter stuff for dry mouth but I think it is just part of the disease for many of us just like joint pain, fatigue, nasal problems etc.

mishb
08-22-2013, 10:26 PM

Mine too - I continually drink water......even every half hour or so whilst in bed, supposedly asleep. :sad: