PDA

View Full Version : Skype group?

Wegetarian
08-17-2013, 06:40 AM
It seems that several other members than me like to be near their computer and have a little too much time on their hands. In one project I worked with he had a nice skype group where we just chatted and shared fun links and such. It was also real easy to have personal conversations with someone as you can see when they are available and can easily message them.

Would it be a good idea for us? I suppose its real easy to set up if we just exchange Skype addresses with each other..

annekat
08-17-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm one of those people who stays too close to my computer, but I don't have Skype. My computer is too old for Skype to work. It sounds like a great idea, though! I think this could be a lot of fun for those who have the time.

pberggren1
08-17-2013, 12:37 PM
I Skype lots so sounds good to me.

Wegetarian
08-17-2013, 04:29 PM
My computer is too old for Skype to work.

I seriously doubt that annekat. I've been intstalling the thing on all my phones for years so I don't think it needs much. A quick google shows you need a 1ghz computer with 256mb memory and I doub't slower ones have been sold in the last 10 years (discounting some netbooks and special equipment like that):
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328/what-are-the-system-requirements-for-skype

If it really is the case I'm pretty sure it wouldn't bee too difficult to get a computer that could run it for free somewhere. The last two computers I gave away would have no difficulties running it, but I was too lazy to sell them since they didn't really have much monetary value.

Maybe I should have clarified that when I have used groups it has been just for texting. Its great in the way that you can see everything that has been written there and can scroll the text. Also if you have something that doesn't involve everyone its so easy to just say it to someone there.

They do have some kind of group video conference call things, but it wasn't really what I was thinking about and I think they charge a premium price for it. I just found the group text chat to be really convenient and quite fun.

Phil, you have PM :)

annekat
08-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Wegetarian, I think my suspicions were right, after checking the Skype link. My computer is a Mac Powerbook G4 that is about 9 years old. It DOES have more than the Ghz and the RAM necessary, but it has the Leopard operating system and does NOT have the newer Intel processor. Skype needs Snow Leopard or newer and the Intel processor. I probably could get an old Windows computer that could do the job, if it was that important to me. All my computers have been given to me because I have no money to buy a computer. This Mac is the nicest one I have been gifted with, and I've had it about 5 years. It is starting to slow down, and I keep running into things I cannot do on it because it is too old; I cannot even download the latest edition of Flash Player so can't see some videos that are shared. Newer versions of things are not made for this operating system. I like the machine and can only hope I can keep it going awhile longer. (One thing it has is the ability for more memory to be added.) I also don't have a webcam, though I know you were talking more about texting. But Skype would really take up more of my time than I can afford to spend, anyway, I'm afraid. Thanks, in any case, for the info, because I really didn't know for sure, and now I do.

Wegetarian
08-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh sorry, yeah that certainly sounds like the newest official version won't run on your computer. No fear though, we are here to help :D

Try out one of their older versions:
Old Version of Skype for Mac Download - OldApps.com for Mac (http://www.oldapps.com/mac/skype.php)

Look for one that supports your operating system, there should be some "about this mac" button or similar in the menus. My guess is you should be able to connect to skype and text and call as usual - but you will probably be lacking some new features. Not that there have been any new features that I wanted anyway since I don't think I've done a single video call with Skype.

Found it from this discussion:
Skype for Mac PowerBook G4 10.5.8 Leopard - Skype Community (http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/Skype-for-Mac-PowerBook-G4-10-5-8-Leopard/td-p/841414)

BTW, there is a trick which might get you watching those videos. It seems a bit technical but maybe worth a try? Do copy the file they mentioned if you try it so that it can be replaced if the script won't work.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5104171?start=0&tstart=0

Since when does Skype take time? ;) I always have it running and it doesn't really prevent me from doing anything even if I'd suddenly hear from an old friend I haven't talked to in years. Also you can put it in a mode where no-one can contact you.

annekat
08-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks, I wasn't aware that maybe I could still download and use older versions, or hadn't thought of it. Will check out the links when I am less tired; it's 2:30 in the morning here and I'm up firing a pottery kiln. Would be nice to get a tip on watching videos.

I wouldn't know about Skype taking time or not, because I barely know what it is and haven't ever used it.
I do know that I spend more time than I can really afford at the computer, and was assuming I'd have to be sitting there to be using it, and just don't need to add another activity to my routine. I have a self employed business where I make a handcrafted product to sell, and anything computer-ish is irrelevant to it at this point.... It takes a lot of time and more self-discipline than I really seem to have.... but there are slow times of year when maybe something like Skype would be fun.

Wegetarian
08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
I think I got it sorted out. Been chatting with Phil on Skype. So just PM me with your Skype ID if you want to be added, or if you aren't too conserned about privacy just post it in this thread and I'll try to hook you up :)

chris.wg
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Often when people feel like their computer is to old for Skype is because of all the other stuff they have running in the back ground. If you know what your looking for its easy enough to shut off but if you don't it can baffle some. Another option is a simple Voip program of any sort the sound quality is usually not as good but the program you run takes up a lot less resources then Skype and some other site host's the server. Only issue with this is weather you use ventrillo team speak mumble... there are more then that but as a gamer these are what I am most familiar with, you either have to pay for the server use or find a site that offers free servers. The free servers tend to change though and you only have them for a few hours and need to re-enter new information next time you wish to chat.

annekat
08-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Often when people feel like their computer is to old for Skype is because of all the other stuff they have running in the back ground. If you know what your looking for its easy enough to shut off but if you don't it can baffle some. Another option is a simple Voip program of any sort the sound quality is usually not as good but the program you run takes up a lot less resources then Skype and some other site host's the server. Only issue with this is weather you use ventrillo team speak mumble... there are more then that but as a gamer these are what I am most familiar with, you either have to pay for the server use or find a site that offers free servers. The free servers tend to change though and you only have them for a few hours and need to re-enter new information next time you wish to chat. In my case, the computer is too old for Skype, the current version, anyway, because it has the wrong Mac processor. It needs to be an Intel processor, which was started later. However, Wegetarian did point out that there might be older versions of Skype that I could download and use. I have not looked into it because I am not interested enough in using Skype. Maybe if I see it in action with someone else's system, I would become more interested. Nice to know about the other things you mentioned, though. I'm not a gamer but I can imagine that some Weggies are, in addition to you.

chris.wg
08-26-2013, 06:06 AM
The other options I mentioned just tend to use a lot less resources on individual computers. I was throwing it out there because I like the idea of talking with people and these may give people other options if they wish to try.

annekat
08-27-2013, 07:20 AM
The other options I mentioned just tend to use a lot less resources on individual computers. I was throwing it out there because I like the idea of talking with people and these may give people other options if they wish to try. Chris, thanks for putting these things out there.... other people besides me are no doubt interested in all this and able to work with the info you and others have given. We all have different situations and interests, different amounts of time to spend on the computer, etc., and your input is valuable.