PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while!

Stephanie78
08-16-2013, 04:30 AM
As some of you may recall my husband John was dx with WG in the Spring of 2011. He had a very long and bumpy road however was extremly blessed to have Dr. Ronald Faulk as his overseeing doctor at UNC hospital (University of North Carolina). John's last hospitalization was March 2012 when he had a virus which caused him to go into complete renal failure (WG had damaged his lungs, kidneys, heart, liver, spleen and sinuses). He also at that time had a heart attack and was his sickest. He spent quite some time in ICU over that year and a half. Here is our update!!!

September 2012 John was released to return back to work! His Creantine level continues to be high but they said with his kidney damage that he would have higher numbers no matter what. He struggles with Raynauds disease when he gets cold (Fingers turn purple/blue and go numb). He goes to his cardiologist every 6 months and his neuphrologist every 6 months. He has to do a urine test every week to make sure there is no blood in the kidneys. His energy level is back to where it was before and goes bike riding with our kids. This is a far cry from where he was two years ago. His case was stated to be one of the most complicated cases seen by his doctors. Dr Faulks decision was to have Cytoxan to be his maintenence drug. It seems to be the ONLY thing that keeps him where he needs to be. He has two treatments two weeks apart once a year.

We are so over aware of situations now. If he coughs I begin with 20 questions (Do you feel ok, do you have a fever, does anything hurt..) he replies with "My drink went down the wrong way" LOL. It definitely puts your guards up for symptoms that you would have never thought twice about before.

There was a time where I thought my next update would be that we had lost him to WG. We were called together 3 times as a family by the doctors telling us not to expect him to go home. That is how bad it was! We feel extremly blessed!

annekat
08-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Stephanie, I'm glad to hear from you. I do remember John and the difficulty of his case. I'm so glad to hear he is doing pretty well and has gone back to work, considering all that he, and all of you, went through with this disease. May he continue to thrive!:thumbup:

drz
08-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the update. I am amazed he recovered that much energy given the extent of his Wegs. I never recovered my energy or endurance and was told with lung and kidney damage that is normal so am very happy that he can be so active. It is also great he is able to return to work again. I am sure you are very happy he was so fortunate to recover to the extent he did and that you two are able to enjoy life again.

mishb
08-16-2013, 04:44 PM
I love good news stories. :biggrin1:

From the place/level that John went too, to where he is now is truly amazing and awe inspiring.
He put up a tough fight and came through it, which surprised us.......I remember how scared I was for him and for you.

Your post certainly gives hope to others that are struggling. Just to know that you can come through it.....and survive.

Fantastic work John and amazing vigilance from you Stephanie.

In the words of Mr Spock - Live Long and Prosper :thumbsup:

renidrag
08-16-2013, 11:11 PM
So glad to hear the good update, my best to you and John.
Dale

Wegetarian
08-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

I just joined this month and haven't heard about your family before. But its really great to hear that someone can make such a wonderful recovery. Sorry to hear about all the hardship it has caused your family but so great you guys feel good again.

Jaha
08-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Thank you for that wonderful news! It is truly a blessing and a miracle to come back so far from that state to being released to going back to work. I'm sending John and you,good wishes for good health from now on.:thumbsup:

Psyborg
08-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Glad to hear that John is doing well Stephanie. Keep us updated :)

Debbie C
08-19-2013, 10:34 AM
It's good to have a happy ending from what could of been a terrible one. And what a nice family photo you have. Glad for your whole family that John is doing so well....hope things continue to improve.