PDA

View Full Version : eyes

JennyT
07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
sorry haven't been on for a while.
good news is that my blood is stabel and have been cut down to 10 mg preds.
bad news is I have now cataracts en glaucoma
will see the eye doctor on Wednesday.

Jack
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi JennyT,
Sorry to hear about your cataracts, I've had them too (surprise surprise! :rolleyes: ). I thought I would just reassure you about the operation for lens implants if you decide to take this route.
Although I found the thought of an operation on my eyes under local anesthetic to be horrendous, it turned out to be very easy. There was no pain involved at all and I could not see anything, only the glare of the operating light. I then had a patch to protect my eye during the night and some antibiotic drops for about a week or so afterwards. There was really nothing to it! :)
My eyesight is now good although I have to wear medium to near distance varifocal glasses for desk work.

JennyT
07-08-2009, 01:50 AM
thank you Jack
i have been very depressed lately and this eye thing does not help at all.
how long did you have to wait for this operation where you still on prednison?
Jenny

Jack
07-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Yes, I was taking all my usual drugs including pred - quite a large selection! I was lucky enough to only have to wait a few weeks because I needed to be able to see and drive in order to support my family and the surgeon understood this. I think some of the very old patients have to wait longer.

Doug
07-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Jenny- Just as Jack says! The glaucoma can be controlled with eye drops (I think- you'll find out). Best wishes on all fronts. The business of eyes and potential blindness is tedious. I have the genetic predisposition for maculular degeneration. My optometrist and opthamologist have tracked how I'm doing since the early 1970s, and the small indications of macular degeneration haven't progressed a bit since them (thank that power to which, ummm.....). Early detection and reasonable precaution have helped me.

jola57
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
My mom has been on glaucoma eye drops for a few years now and they have not gotten worse at all since her initial diagnosis.