PDA

View Full Version : How are You?

Jack
07-06-2009, 07:26 PM
It is what everyone asks when they meet you and I never knew what to answer so I used to say that I was OK. The trouble with that was that I lived away from most of my relatives and only ever tended to see them when I was having a good day. I was also pumped up with the steroid induced fat and healthy look so they mainly thought that I was indeed OK and did not understand some of the problems I spoke of.
I decided to change all that and when asked how I was, I started to tell the truth - not very well at all! At about the same time, my walking problems became more acute and I started to lose a lot of weight so I did not look great either. But now, I've decided to change my answer again. I think people must be getting sick of me saying that I'm not well when they ask, especially now that it is more obvious. So I'm going back to the smile and the "I'm OK" reply. :)

crackers
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
i know exactly what you mean jack.i too started to give an honest answer at one point but when i kept seeing the "god i'm sorry i asked" expression i reverted back to "yeh i'm ok",which was the answer they wanted to hear anyway.
john.

Derek
07-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi Jack

I find it easier to say, I am fine thanks as, as crackers says that is what most people want to hear any way. I found if you go into any sort of detail people start to avoid you. I rarely tell my family how I feel, unless it is urgent, because A, I do not want to worry them and B, I think they would get fed up hearing about it after a while.

I find I like to keep life simple, so I just say "I am fine thanks."

Look after your self

Derek :)

Doug
07-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Hi Jack

I find it easier to say, I am fine thanks as, as crackers says that is what most people want to hear any way. I found if you go into any sort of detail people start to avoid you. I rarely tell my family how I feel, unless it is urgent, because A, I do not want to worry them and B, I think they would get fed up hearing about it after a while.

I find I like to keep life simple, so I just say "I am fine thanks."

Look after your self

Derek :)

"How are you?!" "Fine! And how are you!?" It took me a long time to adjust from early concern for how I was to the realization that the most of people were carrying on social custom, not asking for the doctor's report. I've not completely broke myself of the habit of saying, "Not bad, for someone with a fatal, chronic disease!" Ha! The reaction to that reminds me that my physical appearance at this point doesn't support that response, however true in the long term. Plus, I do feel pretty good in my current "new normal".

andrew
07-15-2009, 06:32 AM
I just say "pretty good thanks but that stupid rash is back". Then I offer to shake their hand. Amazing how many people take me seriously.

Sangye
07-15-2009, 06:36 AM
How about (while coughing up a spleen) "Well, I'm a little stressed out. You know how it is--waiting for the tb test to come back and all?"

Jack
08-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Ask me the question today and I can honestly say, "quite good!" :)
I suppose that by most normal standards, I'm still a bit of a mess, but for the past few days I've been feeling quite well. I can hobble along at an increased pace and have even managed to finish a couple of meals (yes, I know everyone else on here can't stop eating! :rolleyes:).
Thought it was worth posting a bit of good news for a change. :D

andrew
08-01-2009, 06:48 PM
That's great to see, Jack. Good news is always welcome. May your good news continue!

crackers
08-01-2009, 06:55 PM
nice one jack.good news is always welcome.

Sangye
08-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm so happy for you, Jack. Glad you're eating better, too. Can I interest you in a deep-fried Mars bar? ;)

Jack
08-02-2009, 12:00 AM
What a shame, I've just had my lunch! Perhaps another time?

Doug
08-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Ask me the question today and I can honestly say, "quite good!" :)
I suppose that by most normal standards, I'm still a bit of a mess, but for the past few days I've been feeling quite well. I can hobble along at an increased pace and have even managed to finish a couple of meals (yes, I know everyone else on here can't stop eating! :rolleyes:).
Thought it was worth posting a bit of good news for a change. :D

Anyone who's thought he could beat an Englishman lived to rue the day! Congratulations on a few good days, and may they signal a "new normal" on the way for you! :)

Jack
08-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Damn! I knew I should have kept quiet. My glasses just broke! :mad:

Sangye
08-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Well shoot. But I'm glad it was your glasses and not you.... :)

Jack
08-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I drop of glue will fix them. :)

Perhaps I'll try taking a spoonfull. :D

Sangye
08-02-2009, 12:45 AM
When patients would come in and have a ton of imbalances, I'd say "Did the rain wash away your glue?" I know it can get pretty wet in England. Or maybe you just took too long a shower. You know, for the past 25 yrs!

Jack
08-02-2009, 12:58 AM
I think we'll add that one to the list of "theories on the causes of Wegener's". :rolleyes:

I do enjoy my power shower though, so perhaps there is something to it! :D

Lady March
08-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Jack, good news on you feeling quite good and able to finish some meals. I pray this continues.

Like you all I too just tell everyone I feel ok. Although from reading many of your past posts my wegs is in the early stages and I have not been hit as hard as some. But there are days I can't get out of bed. Seems some days are harder than others.

jola57
08-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Glad you are eating Jack, in no time now you will be just like us, fat and happy;)

Jack
08-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but I've slipped back a bit again. Never mind, it was a good few days and reminds me that things can still get better. I've restarted my reduced steroids campaign today so I'm looking forward to a massive improvement! :rolleyes:

jola57
08-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Good luck. sorry it didn't work.

Doug
08-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but I've slipped back a bit again. Never mind, it was a good few days and reminds me that things can still get better. I've restarted my reduced steroids campaign today so I'm looking forward to a massive improvement! :rolleyes:

Amen! Or should I same "ahem"! Regardless, Jack, my best wishes for you to have a leveling off so you can enjoy a little fat on your ribs. :)

Lady March
08-09-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm sorry about slipping back. Keep your chin up. (in my case, chins :mad:) Anytime you would like some fat on your bones I would be so happy to give you what I have acquired since starting the prednisone :eek:.

Cindy M
08-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Jack, you're right, some people, even closest friends don't want to hear about it and I should just say I'm doing fine but after being at home alone sometimes you just start yacking and yacking about it.

Sangye
08-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I just can't bring myself to say "I'm fine" when I'm not. I can't lie just to appease someone.

I found an answer I like : "I'm making the best of things." I have a couple more, but I forget them right now!

Lady March
08-10-2009, 01:22 AM
I've broken down how I feel into categories.

Awful
OK
Better
Good
Great

When I first got sick and had yet to be diagnosed I felt Awful.

After diagnose and started meds I felt and feel OK. (not that this is ok but it is better than awful)

I'm waiting to feel Better, looking forward to Good and can't wait for Great.

Doug
08-16-2009, 06:34 AM
I've broken down how I feel into categories.

Awful
OK
Better
Good
Great

When I first got sick and had yet to be diagnosed I felt Awful.

After diagnose and started meds I felt and feel OK. (not that this is ok but it is better than awful)

I'm waiting to feel Better, looking forward to Good and can't wait for Great.

Brilliant! That gets around the "oh pity me" thing we try to avoid, and gives a sense of how it's going without burdening anyone with the endlessly fascinating detail! Ha! Good job, Lady March!

Lady March
08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks Doug, I really find these one word replies much better than getting into details. They seem to cover it all. If someone really wants to know than we can talk.