PDA

View Full Version : my wegner's journey

Emrenee88
07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi to all, Im Emily.
I was diagnosed in October 2007 after being told for 5 months that I just had a cold and my old GP told me there was nothing wrong with me, it was all in my head (he put it down to my mum having died). I had the severe and fast acting form. I had ulcers in my mouth and on my tongue, lesions in my lungs, my sinuses, ears and throat were affected as well as my kidneys, spleen and skin. I had lesions on my hands and legs. I was flown to Sydney in an air ambulance, where I had biopsies of an ulcer from my tongue, a lesion from my leg and from my nose to confirm the WG diagnoses. After being there for about a week and a half, I developed a fever (39.5degrees celcius) and very bad stomach pain and they discovered via ultrasound that my gall bladder had become inflamed and ruptured. They had not seen this happen due to WG before but thought that was what had caused it to happen.

I was started on a weekly infusion of cyclo and 1g pred IV for 8 weeks along with 50mg pred tablet form daily. After being in Sydney for 6 weeks they said I was well enough to go home and finish my cyclo there and when I saw my rheumatologist he told me that had I gone 2 or 3 more days, I would have had kidney failure and I would have died. I was only home for 2 weeks when I relapsed and was sent back to Sydney where they gave me mabthera and where I also spent my christmas. I had 2 treatments there and the other 2 when I was home. I went back onto the oral cyclo for 6 months then I relapsed again and was started on mycrophenalate (however you spell that). Another relapse in 2009 and had another 6 weeks IV cyclo and 8 months oral. Another relapse in 2010 and was started on Imuran which I have been on since and have been in remission since then (touch wood).

It was a very long hard road and I was very lucky to have survived, as Im sure a lot of us were. I am forever thankful for the few friends that stayed by side when most of the rest just away to hide and of course the support of my family. I still have good and bad days and now, despite being told that it wouldnt happen, I am going to have a baby. Hopefully I will stay well as I have so far (apart from colds and stuff). Hope I wasnt too boring or long winded and thanks for reading.

mishb
07-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Em,

Gosh you certainly got your fair share didn't you?

I'm glad that the doctors are on top of it all fairly quickly and keep getting you back to Sydney.

It was probably the stress of your mum dying that brought the WG to a head.......as I believe was the case for me.
I thought that someone gave me a cold or flu at my fathers funeral - 4 years ago next week.........but it wasn't to be so, it was just the start of things to come.

I will keep my fingers crossed that everything stays good for you whilst you are pregnant and for the future after, with your baby.

woz
07-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Hi Emily, I hope all go's well with the baby, and the battle with wegs monster gets better. You have already gone so far in this fight, the sound of pitter patter around the house will only make you stronger. I am only knew to this, after being diagnosed April 2113, started on cyclo and pred . I have just started Imuran, I am up to 50mg per day. stepping up. My pred is 15mg, I hope to start to taper shortly, providing everything goes well. I also had the high temps, and they took my gall bladder out, sinus and ear problems, lung and kidney involvement plus other problems Finding this web site, is one of the best things, you could have done. The information and help provided here, is excellent, because as you know, there is not much information about wegs in Australia (especially in the country), compared to overseas. My doctor had never heard about it, and my rhuemy had only seen 3 or 4 cases in her lifetime. I live about 4 hours drive from you in Lismore (northern NSW), so I guess you can classify me as a neighbor.

ALL THE BEST.......Woz.

mishb
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Woz,

If you are on facebook, come and join our Aussie group. I hope the link works

https://www.facebook.com/groups/516643745050360/526188240762577/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

Em is on there also.

Debbie C
07-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Wow Emily, you sure have been thru the wringer and sorry to hear about your moms passing. Glad to hear all is going well and congrats on your pregnancy.There are a couple of ladies on here that are also pregnant ,so maybe you can all go thru this together and healthy !

Barry Forshaw
07-08-2013, 08:37 PM
What a rough journey you've been on! Congratulations on your pregnancy though. My wife has Wegener's and has just given birth to a healthy baby girl, so it can work out. We thought it would be a real battle to get pregnant and were prepared for other options but it happened straight away. Like you, we had a core of close friends and an absolutely wonderful family. We couldn't have done it without them! All the best.

annekat
07-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Thanks for sharing your story, Emily! It is interesting that you kept relapsing while on CTX and then went into remission while on Imuran. That sounds unusual. In any case, it does sound like the things going on in your life have an effect on your health. I, too, am sorry you lost your mum, and agree that could easily have set things in motion. Now, the joy of expecting a new baby may work wonders in continuing your remission. I hope the pregnancy and birth go smoothly and that this new chapter in your life will bring you only the best!