PDA

View Full Version : Three months on, medication change.Azathioprine?

woz
06-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Thee months have gone, and my doctor is about to change my meds. I have finally finished my cytoxan (woo-yeah), and have been down to 15mg pred for three weeks now with no problems(touch wood), and I am about to start my next challenge Azathioprine?, I know it has a lot of side effects, one being elevated skin cancer risk. I have a lot of moles, and have had many removed, some nasty ones, has anyone had any problem with there skin, once changed over to Azathioprine? The reason my doctor doesn't want me on Methotrexate, is that I have lung and kidney involvement.

Thanks Woz.

drz
06-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Yes, I have been on azathioprine for 18 months and have had three lesions that were pre-cancerous removed from my leg. I see a dermatologist for regular follow up and have been told to come right away if any new lesions appear. I too had lung and kidney damage from Wegs.
The azathioprine has worked well for me along with 5 mg pred. Far less side effects than the CTX I started with after diagnosis.

On my last visit to derm doctor they added a couple more skin problems to my diagnoses and did another biopsy to check for cancer in a spot on my nose. The one I was concerned about on my forehead turned out to be actinic keratosis. These skin problems seem more likely with broken immune system.

Psyborg
06-25-2013, 04:28 AM
I haven't had any skin issues thus far (about 1.5 years on Aza), but I had Liver issues that were being agravated more quickly by MTX.

woz
06-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Thanks Woz.

Randy
06-28-2013, 02:54 PM
I've been on azathioprine for three years and have not had any skin problems. Of course I live in a part of the world where it rains 10 months of the year so that may help. I have several moles that my doctor has told me to keep an eye on and go in to see him if I notice any changes, but so far, they look normal. Use a good sun block, i use it even on cloudy days.

goosey
08-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Yep my skin will burn even if i'm in the sun for a short while. Am on Aza too & it seems to agree with me . Question to all please , I read the information sheet & it stated to take it on an empty stomach but on my pill packet it says to take it with meals. My wegs dr. says it doesn't matter as long as you take it. Anyway because of the info sheet I have been taking it on an empty stomach. Will be intrested to have your feedback.

woz
08-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi Goosey, I was a little confused about the same thing, If you go to the manufacturers website, they say 1 hour before food or three hours after.
My medication label states, take with food or soon after. So that's what I am doing, I will ask my doctor when I see him next, just to clarify this.

Regards woz.....

Randy
08-25-2013, 11:06 PM
I take it before eating. I tend to get an upset stomach if I take it on an empty stomach. My doctor said the same thing, it doesn't make a difference as far as the effect of the medication is concerned.

goosey
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi Woz, let me know what your doctor says.