PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana cannabis: any beneficial results?

Mikek
06-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm wondering whether Jenny might get any help from medical cannabis.

Jaha
06-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I think that it most likely would help with the pain. I don't know that smoking it would be very good for lungs that might have been damaged by wegs. I guess if you live in one of the states that allow medical maryjane she could sample the brownies. I used to be an old hippie, lord I miss thoughs days.
:wink1:

Debbie C
06-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Mikek....it can't hurt !!! I agree that smoking it isn't a good idea. Is it legal there ?

Dirty Don
06-21-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm wondering whether Jenny might get any help from medical cannabis.

Doing my best Groucho Marx: I don't know about Jenny, but I sure would...whaddya doin after the show?! LMAO! Yeah Jana, miss those days sometimes more than others, then again, I can't remember a lot of those days! Coffffeeee, coffee, where art you...

Mikek
06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
I've never tried it myself and no it's not legal here but if it could help I would certainly grow a couple of plants. We ave enough rough land - anything could be growing out here.

annekat
06-22-2013, 12:29 AM
I've never tried it myself and no it's not legal here but if it could help I would certainly grow a couple of plants. We ave enough rough land - anything could be growing out here. Mike, if I were you, and I could get some good seeds, I would grow a few plants, seeing as you have all that land. I don't know that it would help Jenny, but it might be worth a try, and it would be fun... they are beautiful plants. You can find out a lot about growing them online or in books, I'm sure. And yes, if you get a real product, which would be the flower buds of the female plant, putting them in brownies or cookies would be better for her than smoking them, for sure. Although, for me, it never took much, and smoking was quick and easy,

I live in a state where it is now legal! But I haven't acquired any. They are still getting things figured out as to how to license people to grow and dispense, etc., and in fact, the Feds still say it is illegal and can prosecute people here. Not that I think they will go out of their way to do so for small users. We already have the medical dispensaries, but I don't even know where they are. I definitely have friends who know where to get it. Sadly, we can't just grow it in our yards, but then we don't really get enough sun, anyway. In Australia, I'm guessing that you do.

I would be interested to know of anyone who thinks it is helping their Wegs. There can be some side effects such as sleepiness, and making one want to eat all the time... that last could be a problem for people who already have the pred munchies!

Mikek
06-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Mike, if I were you, and I could get some good seeds, I would grow a few plants, seeing as you have all that land. I don't know that it would help Jenny, but it might be worth a try, and it would be fun... they are beautiful plants. You can find out a lot about growing them online or in books, I'm sure. And yes, if you get a real product, which would be the flower buds of the female plant, putting them in brownies or cookies would be better for her than smoking them, for sure. Although, for me, it never took much, and smoking was quick and easy,

I live in a state where it is now legal! But I haven't acquired any. They are still getting things figured out as to how to license people to grow and dispense, etc., and in fact, the Feds still say it is illegal and can prosecute people here. Not that I think they will go out of their way to do so for small users. We already have the medical dispensaries, but I don't even know where they are. I definitely have friends who know where to get it. Sadly, we can't just grow it in our yards, but then we don't really get enough sun, anyway. In Australia, I'm guessing that you do.

I would be interested to know of anyone who thinks it is helping their Wegs. There can be some side effects such as sleepiness, and making one want to eat all the time... that last could be a problem for people who already have the pred munchies!
Haha I said that I'd never tried it, which is the truth. I didn't say I'd never grown any, did I? I grow garlic mostly-lovely big purple garlic. No chemicals, no herbicides. Garlic grown in natural compost, big and plump and knock your socks off! And this year I grew red peppers but so crazy hot I don't know what to cook with them. I ve seen maryjane eleven feet tall hiding behind a gum tree but family members ther than myself may have put er there!

pberggren1
06-22-2013, 12:49 AM
I think I am going to look into weed. I already know a lot of people that do it.

Alysia
06-22-2013, 03:17 AM
I was working 11 years in psychiatric hospital and I saw terrible things that this "innocent" canabis can cause: psychosis, depression, mania, anxiety attacs, deterioration of memory, of desire, of vitality. and more. my suggestion: dont use it.

pberggren1
06-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Yes, I know. I was only kidding. I am just depressed today. Sorry.

Dirty Don
06-22-2013, 04:02 AM
I was working 11 years in psychiatric hospital and I saw terrible things that this "innocent" canabis can cause: psychosis, depression, mania, anxiety attacs, deterioration of memory, of desire, of vitality. and more. my suggestion: dont use it.

One would expect that IN a psych ward...c'mon...I assume most of us are not in one...well, maybe I should be in one...but hey, not into all the 'romantic' this is bad for you that is bad for you...if anything, I'm bad for me! Grow up, drugs are not the problem...they are what are keeping us alive...it's not the drugs, it's the people...as in a psych hospital...

Alysia
06-22-2013, 04:25 AM
One would expect that IN a psych ward...c'mon...I assume most of us are not in one...well, maybe I should be in one...but hey, not into all the 'romantic' this is bad for you that is bad for you...if anything, I'm bad for me! Grow up, drugs are not the problem...they are what are keeping us alive...it's not the drugs, it's the people...as in a psych hospital...

no Don. some of the people there reached the hospital after using canabis for the first time. it is working on the brain. and nobody really knows what is going on in brain. I work as clinical psychologist and I have enough experience with patients, not only in hospital. I can tell you that this can cause damage also with people who are not in hospital. It can cause anxiety, depression, damage to short term memory, damage to concentration (for drivers it risks life). and more.

Dirty Don
06-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Good for you...the drugs are still not the problem...people are...we're flawed, inept, worse than senseless things. Don't blame an inert piece of matter when it's us who, for better or worse, make choices, known and unknown...

me2
06-22-2013, 05:08 AM
There is another way. The medical value of cannabis is only beginning to be explored. Juicing raw cannabis allows one to take very large quantities and it is in non psychoactive form. You get zero high. It is like juicing wheat grass.
There are also other non psychoactive forms available here in my state.
Check out this video. Look at the picture of Kristen when she was very sick and on prednisone. To me it was like looking in a mirror.
There is a lot of grass roots (no pun intended) research being done on the medical value of juicing. Dr Courtney in this video has seen several thousand patients for a wide range of disorders.
There has also been a large amount of hard science research done on some of the compounds. Some of them have been patented.
Leaf - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0nLdVJiIg)

me2
06-22-2013, 05:17 AM
Israel is one of the leading countries in the world in developing medical cannabis.
Many people become alcoholics after the first drink. For most people moderate alcohol use is beneficial to health. No way to know ahead of time how these things will affect individuals. I know LOTS of people who used large amounts of cannabis for years and never became mentally ill. Does that mean I think its a good idea? No , I do not. I don't like the side effects myself and don't use psychoactive cannabis. I don't think using prednisone is a good idea either but for me it is medicine. Prednisone is bad for you and can cause psychosis. It is a chance I have to take.

Debbie C
06-22-2013, 06:08 AM
I never had a problem with it ...none that I can remember !!! I would give it a try if it would help with her pain. I would love to have some of your garlic ..can't get it to grow good here

annekat
06-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Haha I said that I'd never tried it, which is the truth. I didn't say I'd never grown any, did I? I grow garlic mostly-lovely big purple garlic. No chemicals, no herbicides. Garlic grown in natural compost, big and plump and knock your socks off! And this year I grew red peppers but so crazy hot I don't know what to cook with them. I ve seen maryjane eleven feet tall hiding behind a gum tree but family members ther than myself may have put er there! Well, Mike, if you've already got some growing, you should try it! How about this for starters: make some pesto with the leaves, or add some to your basil pesto, and use some of that awesome garlic in there along with the cheese, olive oil, and pine nuts or whatever you use. If there are any flower buds, throw in a little, but watch out! It sounds to me like cooking with weed would be a natural for you.

annekat
06-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I think I am going to look into weed. I already know a lot of people that do it. You should, Phil! And let us know how you like it!

annekat
06-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Those of us who used it "back in the day" and maybe still do, just do not feel that way about it. Alcohol can cause big problems with some people, too, but we are not saying that no one should use it, ever. I think either of those things could make things a lot worse for someone with existing psychological issues, if abused. I did not work in a psych ward and am not an expert. I do not currently use MJ because it just isn't part of what gets me through the day anymore. But I don't think of it as evil in any way... one must use common sense and exercise some responsibility, and be able to recognize if it is a problem for them just as an alcohol user must do the same thing.

annekat
06-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Yes, I know. I was only kidding. I am just depressed today. Sorry. Sorry you are depressed, but I think it is OK to consider trying weed some time. You could find that it made your depression worse, in which case you would stop using it. It would be better to try it sometime when you are not depressed, until you get a feel for it. It is not for everyone. I'm not sure it was for me, as it made me more self conscious and withdrawn in a group of people. On the other hand, with people I know and love, it can get some laughter and fun going. It is just not that big of a deal. I knew people who smoked too much and it was boring being around them, and I'm glad I'm not anymore, just like I don't want to be around someone who drinks beer all day. If I had some weed now, I'd probably smoke a very small amount while watching TV before bed. If I decided I don't like the feeling anymore, I just wouldn't do it again. No big deal! If you try it and you don't like it, it will pass! By the way, the late American singer Janis Joplin said she didn't like weed because it made her "think too much". Alcohol was her drug of choice and heroin was what did her in.

Mikek
06-22-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm a bit too 'straight laced' to try any non prescribed drug my self, back in the seventies I had an awful time getting off tobacco smoking. One of our four kids, now 44, has a long history of drug abuse with several suicide attempts and spells in mental hospitals and yes, all through marijuana and grog. It's cost him two relationships and several employments so Alysia's remarks ring true to me. I'm just searching for any possible way to help Jen.

Mikek
06-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry you are depressed, but I think it is OK to consider trying weed some time. You could find that it made your depression worse, in which case you would stop using it. It would be better to try it sometime when you are not depressed, until you get a feel for it. It is not for everyone. I'm not sure it was for me, as it made me more self conscious and withdrawn in a group of people. On the other hand, with people I know and love, it can get some laughter and fun going. It is just not that big of a deal. I knew people who smoked too much and it was boring being around them, and I'm glad I'm not anymore, just like I don't want to be around someone who drinks beer all day. If I had some weed now, I'd probably smoke a very small amount while watching TV before bed. If I decided I don't like the feeling anymore, I just wouldn't do it again. No big deal! If you try it and you don't like it, it will pass! By the way, the late American singer Janis Joplin said she didn't like weed because it made her "think too much". Alcohol was her drug of choice and heroin was what did her in. seems to me like a well balanced point of view.

annekat
06-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm a bit too 'straight laced' to try any non prescribed drug my self, back in the seventies I had an awful time getting off tobacco smoking. One of our four kids, now 44, has a long history of drug abuse with several suicide attempts and spells in mental hospitals and yes, all through marijuana and grog. It's cost him two relationships and several employments so Alysia's remarks ring true to me. I'm just searching for any possible way to help Jen. The link that Kirk (me2) shared above to the video called Leaf was interesting. It discussed using cannabis in ways that would AVOID the psychoactive effects and could help many medical conditions including autoimmune ones. I think the woman in the film had RA among other things. I found it a little long but saved it and will watch it again. Even if you and Jen tried it and got some psychoactivity, you don't strike me as the types that would get hooked, abuse it, or go over the top with it in any way. Jen might not like it and might not want to keep using it. I think it is pretty rare, if indeed possible, though, for MJ use to "cause" mental problems in a person who starts out healthy and well-adjusted. I AM sorry about your son and can see why that would influence you. I hope he is doing better these days.

Alysia
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
. I am just depressed today. .

Hi Phil, Im sending you my love and big hug :hug2:

Alysia
06-22-2013, 04:28 PM
O.K. intersting debate.
1. pred and our others meds are life saving for us. we dont have a choice. cannabis is not life saving. we have a choice.
2. even if we asuume that we are mentally well (which is not correct because being a weggie means anxiety and depression) there are other dangers in using cannabis.
3. medical cannabis is used in Israel by docs permision in cases of: cancer, MS, terminally illness, and pain that cannot be released otherwise.
4. you can google and find more info about cannabis dangerous effects.
just to mention more dangers: cannabis increases heart rate, affect blood pressure, cause danmage to motivation, to memory, to concentration, to sperm count. worse, read this:
The most potent argument against the use of marijuana to treat medical disorders is that marijuana may cause the acceleration or aggravation of the very disorders it is being used to treat.
Smoking marijuana regularly (a joint a day) can damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and decrease the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight off fungi, bacteria, and tumor cells. For patients with already weakened immune systems, this means an increase in the possibility of dangerous pulmonary infections, including pneumonia, which often proves fatal in AIDS patients.
I copy this from that link:THE MEDICAL DANGERS OF MARIJUANA USE (http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html)
even if you dont smoke it, it is risky to the immune system.
we have enough. there is no need to take more risks.

mishb
06-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I have read of a few people, via various forums, that have used, or are using MJ to help with pain.
Pain caused by RA, MS, Lupus and even WG. Each one of these people swears by the effects of medicinal MJ.

Each one have also said that it needs to be baked not smoked. I think smoking it, if you have sinus and throat or lung problems would be a bad idea.

If I find one of the posts about it I will let you know further.

It's not something for me and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I have read that it helps........for how long, who knows

annekat
06-22-2013, 07:34 PM
It appears that convincing articles can be written both for and against the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes. Marijuana is a PLANT, or an herb, we might say, and is not, as far as I know, classified as a toxic or poisonous one. One who wants to make it sound toxic and dangerous can do so convincingly by spinning and exaggerating the facts. There are dangers to the over-use of anything. One joint a day may not sound like a lot to a recreational user, but it is a huge amount to me. The amount I would smoke, if I smoked it, would be tiny. There are other ways to get it than to smoke it. I'd like to know more about the juicing idea and the benefits of that without the psychoactive effects. But people have been using pot for years without the kind of ill effects we get from CTX and pred, for example, and I'd consider walking down the street and breathing the exhaust from cars more potentially dangerous than a little MJ a day. I personally don't remember it working as a pain killer, but I never tried to use it as such, and if it helps people with their pain, I don't see a problem with it.... they could instead be overusing Advil or Tylenol or using Vicodin, Oxycodone, or any number of other more dangerous and addictive drugs. There are always going to be people who abuse and misuse any substance you can name. Aside from it being illegal in many places, each of us gets to decide for ourselves whether MJ works for us, and that is OK with me. An article against it is not going to stop someone who feels they are benefitting from it.

Mikek
06-22-2013, 08:14 PM
The link that Kirk (me2) shared above to the video called Leaf was interesting. It discussed using cannabis in ways that would AVOID the psychoactive effects and could help many medical conditions including autoimmune ones. I think the woman in the film had RA among other things. I found it a little long but saved it and will watch it again. Even if you and Jen tried it and got some psychoactivity, you don't strike me as the types that would get hooked, abuse it, or go over the top with it in any way. Jen might not like it and might not want to keep using it. I think it is pretty rare, if indeed possible, though, for MJ use to "cause" mental problems in a person who starts out healthy and well-adjusted. I AM sorry about your son and can see why that would influence you. I hope he is doing better these days.i just watched "Leaf" right through twice! Very interesting. I'm definitely going to get a few seeds in the spring.

me2
06-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Well, it looks like I still fall more into the pro camp than against. A friend of mine sent me the leaf video over a year ago. I poo pooed it until I actually watched it. This began a course of investigation of the idea for me. I think a fairly objective one. I wasn't using the possible medical benefits as an excuse for getting the psychoactive high. I tried the high many years ago when I was young. I enjoyed it for a few months and then decided that the side effects of memory loss and cognitive impairment while high were not worth it to me. They still aren't. I would not have pursued a study of the possible medical benefits without knowing there was a non-psychoactive form- the juice.

My first concern was safety. I wanted to know about the possible side effects and drug interactions. I started my research at the University of Washington Medical School in Seattle. There I had full access to medical journals- not just the abstracts.
They let me copy everything I wanted onto a flash drive where I could read it carefully at home. There have been some hard scientific studies done on cannabis but mostly on the psychoactive form- which is dried , smoked or vaporized. Even looking over these studies I was actually surprised to find out that cannabis is amazingly safe. As Anne says, there are dangers of the over use of anything.

I have personally observed a friend that was able to get off of a bunch of medications for Fibromyalgia by using the smoked version of cannabis. She has lost 90 lbs and is more mentally alert and clear eyed than I have ever known her to be. You will not convince her that cannabis is more dangerous than the meds her doctors had her on. Watch the leaf video and look at the pictures of Kristen on prednisone and look at her now and then tell me that prednisone was better for her.
I know her story alone is not enough to abandon conventional medicine- that would be foolish. It is enough to make one think and investigate further. This is what I am doing.

Here in Washington state where I live , we are seeing a great experiment on the grass roots scale of the possible medical benefits of cannabis. Currently the medical and the recreational aspects are blurred together and this leads to confusion by outside observers who see only the most visible part, the recreational. I would guess that perhaps over half of the use is mostly recreational but I would not throw the baby under the bus just because of that. I know people working with this plant who are sincere in seeking out the possible medical benefits. I had been in communication with our dear Al on this subject before he passed away. He was interested in this too.

Since that time over a year ago I have seen a tremendous growth in what I would call the purely medical side of cannabis. There are even products that are not juice that are not psychoactive. They are expensive and untested as to whether they provide a treatment dose of cannabinoids for life threatening disorders like Wegeners. Dr Courtney, in the leaf video, works with the juice I know in part because of the fact that it allows you to take very large doses of the plant with no psychoactive effects. He is treating very serious illnesses like Lupus with it.

Cannabis has had some of the component substances patented. I believe it is probably the whole plant that is the most beneficial. For that reason do not rely on the corporate process to find out if this plant can help us. The only drugs that make it through the expensive process of investigation, patent, and FDA approval are the ones that can be owned. Without being able to own the plant no company will investigate the usefulness of it. It will have to be done by individuals. If the plant is as effective as preliminary reports suggest drug companies stand to loose billions when people are able to grow their own medicine. This is the weak side of our very amazing medical system.

Mikek
06-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Thank thank you so much for this comprehensive information. We are going to be hearing much on this subject.

annekat
06-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes, thank you, Kirk. You have really done and are doing your "homework" on this subject. How cool that you and Al had talked about it and how sad that he is no longer able to participate in the discussion. Anything I say on the subject of MJ is completely off the top of my head and sort of a gut reaction, not really based on any comprehensive knowledge but more on my experience with it and identification with the culture of people who used it for "mind-expanding" purposes. I didn't use a lot and was a "lightweight", though for awhile definitely sought it out as a part of my daily life. I have some negative feelings about how people I've known have overused it and let it impede their progress in life. Yet others have continued to use it without that being a problem. As part of the baby boomer generation, I tend to jump to the defense of MJ use whether I choose to use it currently or not. I'm kind of proud of my state for having legalized possession of small amounts for personal non-medical use. But I'm also a bit suspicious of those who've gotten medical MJ cards when they might really be most interested in the psychoactive effects. Obviously, my feelings on the subject are complicated. But this latest talk of the medical benefits adds a whole new dimension to it, and it is nice that people such as you are really delving into the realities and possibilities of it through exhaustive research and not just talking about it and fantasizing about it. I hope something very positive comes of it for people with AI and other hard to treat conditions.

Jaha
06-23-2013, 12:21 PM
This subject is getting alot of attention and rightfully so, it is a very interesting plant and has had alot of contraversies over the years. I myself have experimented and used MJ at one time or another in my life,(but I didn't inhale). I did mention to one of my drs. that I used to smoke it for awhile. She didn't even look up from her charting. I have been around it with all types of people and have seen some that are over the edge on it. I think that any wegs person smoking or overdoing it wouldn't be a good idea. Always do everything in moderation (even as was dicussed in another thread WATER). It does in fact have medicinal purposes,I have used it for pain,relaxation and solidtude when I needed it over the years. I had a really hard time quitting smoking cigs after dx and used leaf to get off of cigs. There are two sides to every story!

Alysia
06-23-2013, 02:27 PM
m2, your investigation is interesting and very impressing. I will be glad to read more about it.
MJ helped the girl in "leaf". But - if it is such a miraculous substance, why wouldn’t we hear about more and more such cases all over the world?
Investigating MJ's beneficial influence, as a herb, is as good as investigating any other herb.
I think it has "extra power" which is a fantasy, emanating from 1. The fact that it is, or was, forbidden. 2. The relaxed and painless state of mind it can cause in some people.

annekat
06-23-2013, 02:44 PM
m2, your investigation is interesting and very impressing. I will be glad to read more about it.
MJ helped the girl in "leaf". But - if it is such a miraculous substance, why wouldn’t we hear about more and more such cases all over the world?
Investigating MJ's beneficial influence, as a herb, is as good as investigating any other herb.
I think it has "extra power" which is a fantasy, emanating from 1. The fact that it is, or was, forbidden. 2. The relaxed and painless state of mind it can cause in some people. Assuming that it is indeed very helpful medically, whether "miraculous" or not, we ARE hearing more and more about it. These things take time and as someone pointed out, there is not necessarily big money to be made on publicizing it if people can grow and juice their own. There are a lot of helpful herbs out there that people use for various things but their uses are not all everyday common knowledge. There IS such a thing as the placebo effect, where people think something helps just because they want to believe it does. But that can be true of any herbal or other remedy and doesn't negate any true healing properties the substance may have. If this juicing technique really works and bypasses the psychoactive properties of the drug, then maybe we can get past that whole aspect of it which includes the "forbidden" pleasure and any other of the notorious effects on people's state of mind caused by smoking the plant. This would be a good thing, because a lot of people would want the healing properties, if they exist, without the psychoactive properties. You can count me among those. While I enjoyed the "high" somewhat as a young person, at this point I'd rather receive any purported health benefits without that part of it, if it was possible.

Mikek
06-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Assuming that it is indeed very helpful medically, whether "miraculous" or not, we ARE hearing more and more about it. These things take time and as someone pointed out, there is not necessarily big money to be made on publicizing it if people can grow and juice their own. There are a lot of helpful herbs out there that people use for various things but their uses are not all everyday common knowledge. There IS such a thing as the placebo effect, where people think something helps just because they want to believe it does. But that can be true of any herbal or other remedy and doesn't negate any true healing properties the substance may have. If this juicing technique really works and bypasses the psychoactive properties of the drug, then maybe we can get past that whole aspect of it which includes the "forbidden" pleasure and any other of the notorious effects on people's state of mind caused by smoking the plant. This would be a good thing, because a lot of people would want the healing properties, if they exist, without the psychoactive properties. You can count me among those. While I enjoyed the "high" somewhat as a young person, at this point I'd rather receive any purported health benefits without that part of it, if it was possible.
Here in Australia, if I allow cannabis to be grown on our property, I am considered to be a criminal. Although known to be a bit outspoken and somewhat loopy, I'm a law abiding person. So what do I do? I want to grow a few plants to experiment with juicing to see if I can help my wegswife with her condition and maybe try some myself. I could easily hide a dozen plants amongst trees. Do I need a particular strain of seed or shall I use what bong heads use? Wonder if ill end up in jail.

mishb
06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
I didn't think that it was illegal in Australia if it was used for medicinal purposes and you had a card for it. I thought people who suffered from MS, for example, could get it prescribed. It couldn't hurt to ask your doctor.

Also they don't throw you in jail if the amount you have is small enough to show that it is for personal use and not for sale purposes.

You may need to move to Byron Bay, though :tongue1:

I could be wrong and maybe I have just been watching too many police shows.

Mikek
06-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I didn't think that it was illegal in Australia if it was used for medicinal purposes and you had a card for it. I thought people who suffered from MS, for example, could get it prescribed. It couldn't hurt to ask your doctor.

Also they don't throw you in jail if the amount you have is small enough to show that it is for personal use and not for sale purposes.

You may need to move to Byron Bay, though :tongue1:

I could be wrong and maybe I have just been watching too many police shows.
I didn't know that I grow pot legally must look into it. It's interesting that you mention Byron Bay because we've been talking about moving to that area ( Ballina) for a decade or so.

Mikek
06-23-2013, 07:13 PM
I didn't know that I grow pot legally must look into it. It's interesting that you mention Byron Bay because we've been talking about moving to that area ( Ballina) for a decade or so.
It's a criminal offence in Tasmania. I just checked.

Mikek
06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Since looking at the "Leaf" Utube video, I've spent three or more hours Googling cannabis use. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting the medicinal use of Marijuana. I can't understand why this is not more widely known.

pberggren1
06-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I would not use it. Just talk to your naturopath about it.

Mikek
06-23-2013, 09:33 PM
I would not use it. Just talk to your naturopath about it.it looks as though st being used to cure cancer! It might be nonsense but it might not. I plan to have a closer look at this.

mishb
06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
It's a criminal offence in Tasmania. I just checked.

Maybe your mind has just been made up for you, about the move :thumbsup:

Mikek
06-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Maybe your mind has just been made up for you, about the move :thumbsup:
Maybe if I get high enough we could fly there together.

drz
06-24-2013, 12:41 AM
In the places where it is used by prescription for medicinal purposes, what are the most common reasons?

I have heard it being used for pain in terminal cancer patients and treating severe anxiety disorders? What else?

Does the synthetic stuff works as well for medicinal purposes?

annekat
06-24-2013, 01:47 AM
More power to you, Mike! I can't legally grow it here either, even though the state says it's legal to possess small amounts for personal use. If I had a medical card, I could. With all that land, you could easily hide it, though I know you are a law abiding citizen and would hesitate. You did say a plant volunteered on your property! You can't help that! Perhaps you should look into getting Jen a medical card. Check with your current docs or shop around for one who is a little more savvy in that area. There must be lots of people in Australia doing it. Keep up with the research!

Alysia
06-24-2013, 01:52 AM
maybe I have just been watching too many police shows.
speaking of shows, there is nice old movie, "saving Grace"
saving grace - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUMoR_bc5Y)
now it is yours "movie", Mike, of saving Jenny....

Dirty Don
06-24-2013, 03:17 AM
In the places where it is used by prescription for medicinal purposes, what are the most common reasons?
- pain relief, glaucoma
I have heard it being used for pain in terminal cancer patients and treating severe anxiety disorders? What else?
- arthritic pain, eating disorders
Does the synthetic stuff works as well for medicinal purposes?
- not enough studies yet, but supposedly THC works in natural and synthetic form

Mikek
06-24-2013, 09:01 AM
More power to you, Mike! I can't legally grow it here either, even though the state says it's legal to possess small amounts for personal use. If I had a medical card, I could. With all that land, you could easily hide it, though I know you are a law abiding citizen and would hesitate. You did say a plant volunteered on your property! You can't help that! Perhaps you should look into getting Jen a medical card. Check with your current docs or shop around for one who is a little more savvy in that area. There must be lots of people in Australia doing it. Keep up with the research!
There's no provision here for medical cards in Tasmania .Cannabis is illegal. Period!

Mikek
06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
speaking of shows, there is nice old movie, "saving Grace"
saving grace - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUMoR_bc5Y)
now it is yours "movie", Mike, of saving Jenny....saving Grace was saved from financial ruin, her health was fine.

kevinallen
06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Hello all, well I know im young but heres my input: i wa smoking weed heavily when i got weggies, had my medical marijuana card and had been smoking for years. It took many months to go into remission and wheni first started getting bad i quit the weed because i thought it had sonething to do with it. After learning they dont know the cause of it i choose to believe that it weed is ok. I have been drug free for over a year now with only a ritux 6 months and now have been smoking agian for 9 or so months. I can say probably the most thing in helped with was forgetting all the pain i encountered the past months and returned my mind to that of a blissful teen, it really helped me return to my normal lifestyle and so far i cannt say i have had any ill effects.

Mikek
06-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Hello all, well I know im young but heres my input: i wa smoking weed heavily when i got weggies, had my medical marijuana card and had been smoking for years. It took many months to go into remission and wheni first started getting bad i quit the weed because i thought it had sonething to do with it. After learning they dont know the cause of it i choose to believe that it weed is ok. I have been drug free for over a year now with only a ritux 6 months and now have been smoking agian for 9 or so months. I can say probably the most thing in helped with was forgetting all the pain i encountered the past months and returned my mind to that of a blissful teen, it really helped me return to my normal lifestyle and so far i cannt say i have had any ill effects.thanks for that. Have ever eaten weed or used oil?

kevinallen
06-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Yes i have eaten edibles and taken the oil as well. My old boss used to make the oil and he said it is very good for you, knew studies are saying the oil is great for cancer and my boss did a test with an ms case that was wheelchaired and started walking again after use of the oil.
Heres a post a found on google

Doctors who have been researching cannabis and it’s benefits in diet for some time have recommended that people make cannabis a part of their everyday diet. To reiterate, the plant does not need to contain high levels of THC and it can simply be hemp. Eating Cannabis that does contain THC will not get you high. Also, smoking it does not give the same results as eating or juicing the plant. If we view the plant simple as a vegetable like all other vegetables we eat, it makes sense that we wouldn’t put it inside rolling papers and smoke it to get the nutritional benefits. (haha)

Mikek
06-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Yes i have eaten edibles and taken the oil as well. My old boss used to make the oil and he said it is very good for you, knew studies are saying the oil is great for cancer and my boss did a test with an ms case that was wheelchaired and started walking again after use of the oil.
Heres a post a found on google

Doctors who have been researching cannabis and it’s benefits in diet for some time have recommended that people make cannabis a part of their everyday diet. To reiterate, the plant does not need to contain high levels of THC and it can simply be hemp. Eating Cannabis that does contain THC will not get you high. Also, smoking it does not give the same results as eating or juicing the plant. If we view the plant simple as a vegetable like all other vegetables we eat, it makes sense that we wouldn’t put it inside rolling papers and smoke it to get the nutritional benefits. (haha)I've never smoked pot but started researching the subject on the net just a few days ago. The amount of information on confirming this to be a valuable medicine seems to be overwhelming.But if I put a few plants on my land, I'm a criminal! What the hecks going on?

annekat
06-28-2013, 01:25 AM
In the US, I believe it is illegal even to grow hemp, which is closely related to and looks like cannabis sativa, but will not get you high. Hemp has historically been used to make many things, such as rope and other fiber products. There are hemp products such as clothing and soap here, but the hemp used to make them came from other places, like Canada, where it can be grown legally. It is really stupid that hemp can't be grown here, when it could be economically very valuable, and is easy and cheap to grow, I assume.

The article Kevin cites above implies that regular hemp has the same medicinal properties as marijuana. I wonder, Mike, if there is also a ban on growing regular hemp in Australia. It wouldn't surprise me if there is, of course, since as far as I know, the plants look identical, though I've never seen hemp up close, just MJ.

marta
06-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I eat lots of hemp seeds (with my granola, fruit and yogurt) and I love the stuff. I haven't noticed any dramatic difference from a health perspective, but if nothing else it's very tasty and huge on Omega 3-6-9. I have also smoked the stuff (with THC in it,) but like Clinton - never inhaled.... OK, OK, so I've inhaled. I found it actually really helped me in the days when I couldn't sleep. My folks even got me an expensive Iolite portable vaporizer for my birthday the year that I got diagnosed and was on the heavy steroids and refused to take sleeping pills. It helped with the sleep and it helped with the anxiety that comes with wrapping your head around a lifelong chronic illness and the complete decimation of life as I knew it before diagnosis. I know there is some heavy stigma associated with this which is why I never talked about it, but it helped - a lot. I would much rather have taken a few puffs of a natural plant that has been used for thousands of years and has no possibility of overdosing - ever - than the myriad of nasty, addictive chemical cocktails that were offered to me by the docs. I had enough problems and didn't want to add a narcotic addiction to the mix. Pot is not a narcotic, and the only thing that makes it appear addictive is that it's habit forming. You can stop anytime you want to and never go back once it's usefulness has subsided.

I have figured out the disease, have wrapped my head around it very well, and can now sleep. I know that the odd puff helped me get to where I am today. But I must admit, I'm too chicken to tell my doc because of the stigma attached. I think it's an arcane law that prevents people from accessing helpful agents that have been proven through generations, but are keeping the incarceration circle flowing with vigor. Once they figure out how to make money from the sale of marijuana, our kids will be watching slick, multimillion dollar ads on TV for the stuff.

I think there is too much fear associated with the stuff and that despite all the negatives, you should give it a try as far as you're comfortable, and that way, you'll never wonder 'what if?'

Mikek
06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
In the US, I believe it is illegal even to grow hemp, which is closely related to and looks like cannabis sativa, but will not get you high. Hemp has historically been used to make many things, such as rope and other fiber products. There are hemp products such as clothing and soap here, but the hemp used to make them came from other places, like Canada, where it can be grown legally. It is really stupid that hemp can't be grown here, when it could be economically very valuable, and is easy and cheap to grow, I assume.

The article Kevin cites above implies that regular hemp has the same medicinal properties as marijuana. I wonder, Mike, if there is also a ban on growing regular hemp in Australia. It wouldn't surprise me if there is, of course, since as far as I know, the plants look identical, though I've never seen hemp up close, just MJ.
Go to jail, go straight to jail. Do not pass......that's what happens if you grow MJ in Tasmania. My understanding is that hemp and marijuana are both cannabis. Some types have less THC, some more all have strong fibres. Two major types are Sativa & indica.

Mikek
06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
I eat lots of hemp seeds (with my granola, fruit and yogurt) and I love the stuff. I haven't noticed any dramatic difference, but if nothing else it's very tasty and huge on Omega 3-6-9. I have also smoked the stuff (with THC in it,) but like Clinton - never inhaled.... OK, OK, so I've inhaled. I found it actually really helped me in the days when I couldn't sleep. My folks even got me an expensive Iolite portable vaporizer for my birthday the year that I got diagnosed and was on the heavy steroids and refused to take sleeping pills. It helped with the sleep and it helped with the anxiety that comes with wrapping your head around a lifelong chronic illness and the complete decimation of life as I knew it before diagnosis. I know there is some heavy stigma associated with this which is why I never talked about it, but it helped - a lot. I would much rather have taken a few puffs of a natural plant that has been used for thousands of years and has no possibility of overdosing - ever - than the myriad of nasty, addictive chemical cocktails that were offered to me by the docs. I had enough problems and didn't want to add a narcotic addiction to the mix. Pot is not a narcotic, and the only thing that makes it appear addictive is that it's habit forming. You can stop anytime you want to and never go back once it's usefulness has subsided.

I have figured out the disease, have wrapped my head around it very well, and can now sleep. I know that the odd puff helped me get to where I am today. But I must admit, I'm too chicken to tell my doc because of the stigma attached. I think it's an arcane law that prevents people from accessing helpful agents that have been proven through generations, but are keeping the incarceration circle flowing with vigor. Once they figure out how to make money from the sale of marijuana, our kids will be watching slick, multimillion dollar ads on TV for the stuff.

I think there is too much fear associated with the stuff and that despite all the negatives, you should give it a try as far as you're comfortable, and that way, you'll never wonder 'what if?'
Thanks for this well written confession.

annekat
06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes, they are both cannabis. But the hemp plant to make rope doesn't make you high. At least that's what I understand. Yet it is illegal to grow it in the US. I don't know all that much so anyone is free to correct me.

me2
06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
One brave soul. Colorado farmer plants country's first legal hemp crop in decades | The Daily Caller (http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/14/colorado-farmer-plants-countrys-first-legal-hemp-crop-in-decades/)

It is federally illegal but with states , like Washington and Colorado, making medical and recreational cannabis legal then hemp is even less of a big deal. So far the Feds are leaving states alone to do as they please on this issue. The industry is growing so rapidly I think it is very unlikely that there would be any attempt to make it illegal again. I foresee the feds amending THEIR laws to match up with the growing number states legalizing it.
Thanks for sharing your experience Marta. Very interesting.

marta
06-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Hemp and Pot are the same family but different genetics, however hemp has low levels of THC compared to CBD (chemical that blocks the THC.) There is no way our uber conservative government would let so many hemp products on the market if there were any chance anyone could get any good feelings from it - in that way. What's the difference between hemp and marijuana? : Ct (http://host.madison.com/what-s-the-difference-between-hemp-and-marijuana/article_fb7c0968-3122-11df-a8de-001cc4c03286.html)

Mikek, I've confessed way crazier things on here - the insanity that comes along with being a WG patient. So a little weed here and there is no big whoop.

I have a friend who is getting the synthetic THC because that's how you can get the ticket to get medical MJ here in Canada (or maybe it's just her doctor - I wouldn't know because I haven't fessed up to my doc.) She said it's insanely expensive (almost a thousand dollars per prescription,) insurance doesn't cover as much as other drugs and it has a short shelf life. She's only going through it so she can get access to real stuff, grown by real people because it really helps with her MS.

There, that's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Debbie C
06-28-2013, 12:57 PM
I finally looked at you tube about the " Leaf " and I'm seriously going to look into on how to juice this. I did notice that she was putting carrots and other things in the juicer. I will have to see if there is a certain recipe and how to do it. It is not legal in Ohio but I know some low people in high places and also know some high people in low places so I should have no problem getting it. I'm sure it will be legal in every state as soon as the government can figure out how much to tax it and if there are sooooo many people using it in other states for medical reasons there's got to be something to it. Worth a try,alot better than mtx,rtx.ctx, preds.

me2
06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
You need a 'wheat grass' juicer. There are many models and makes of course. I have the Omega 8006 and I like it a lot. I have been making juice almost every day with it for about 3 months.
The carrots and apples etc are added mainly to improve the taste. Of course the more things in the juice the more vitamins etc too. Cannabis juice is pretty potent and doesn't taste good.

I have been juicing it for about two weeks now. I am not up to the recommended dose yet of 20-30 fan leaves and one big flower but I wanted to start early- it can't hurt.
The biggest draw back I have seen so far is finding a large enough quantity of greens. Its a lot. Most people end up growing their own unless they are lucky enough to know or find some growers that will help them. We are lucky here in Washington that it is legal to grow with an authorization from a doctor. I don't think a regular doctor would probably sign the authorization. There are docs who 'specialize' in doing this. You send your medical records to them . They evaluate you for the medication and then approve you or not. WG's definately qualifies. You also have to be a state resident I think. I know that is true for California. I know because I wanted to just go down there and spend the time to try and see if it helped. No can do because I am not a Cali resident.

I think the amount of time it takes to find out if it is going to help is 6-8 weeks. I do not know of anyone with WG's trying it other than myself. It sure would be interesting to see with several people if it helps.

When I decided to try this I asked my VERY conservative Rheumatologist if I could talk to him about something off of the record. I didn't want the stigma (like Marta) of marijuana use in my medical records. He agreed. I told him briefly what I was going to try with the juice. I was shocked that he quickly agreed and said I should try it for six months and see if it helps. I also talked to my excellent nurse and she was very interested too.

So far the experiment is not as controlled as I would like it to be. I am not up to full treatment dose yet and I have missed days due to circumstances. I hope to fix these problems in the coming weeks and have a good case study to share.

maria garcia
06-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I think I am going to look into weed. I already know a lot of people that do it.
Phil relax!!!!

maria garcia
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
What is weed beneficial for?

maria garcia
06-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Phil relax!!!!

Mikek
06-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Hemp and Pot are the same family but different genetics, however hemp has low levels of THC compared to CBD (chemical that blocks the THC.) There is no way our uber conservative government would let so many hemp products on the market if there were any chance anyone could get any good feelings from it - in that way. What's the difference between hemp and marijuana? : Ct (http://host.madison.com/what-s-the-difference-between-hemp-and-marijuana/article_fb7c0968-3122-11df-a8de-001cc4c03286.html)

Mikek, I've confessed way crazier things on here - the insanity that comes along with being a WG patient. So a little weed here and there is no big whoop.

I have a friend who is getting the synthetic THC because that's how you can get the ticket to get medical MJ here in Canada (or maybe it's just her doctor - I wouldn't know because I haven't fessed up to my doc.) She said it's insanely expensive (almost a thousand dollars per prescription,) insurance doesn't cover as much as other drugs and it has a short shelf life. She's only going through it so she can get access to real stuff, grown by real people because it really helps with her MS.

There, that's my two cents. Hope it helps.we just grow it in the yard. We have about eight thousand trees so its easy to hide a few pants. I've not used it myself (unlike some family members best not mentioned) but I'm intensely keen to research it's genuine medical potential. And since retirement I have far too much time on my hands.

Mikek
06-28-2013, 02:49 PM
You need a 'wheat grass' juicer. There are many models and makes of course. I have the Omega 8006 and I like it a lot. I have been making juice almost every day with it for about 3 months.
The carrots and apples etc are added mainly to improve the taste. Of course the more things in the juice the more vitamins etc too. Cannabis juice is pretty potent and doesn't taste good.

I have been juicing it for about two weeks now. I am not up to the recommended dose yet of 20-30 fan leaves and one big flower but I wanted to start early- it can't hurt.
The biggest draw back I have seen so far is finding a large enough quantity of greens. Its a lot. Most people end up growing their own unless they are lucky enough to know or find some growers that will help them. We are lucky here in Washington that it is legal to grow with an authorization from a doctor. I don't think a regular doctor would probably sign the authorization. There are docs who 'specialize' in doing this. You send your medical records to them . They evaluate you for the medication and then approve you or not. WG's definately qualifies. You also have to be a state resident I think. I know that is true for California. I know because I wanted to just go down there and spend the time to try and see if it helped. No can do because I am not a Cali resident.

I think the amount of time it takes to find out if it is going to help is 6-8 weeks. I do not know of anyone with WG's trying it other than myself. It sure would be interesting to see with several people if it helps.

When I decided to try this I asked my VERY conservative Rheumatologist if I could talk to him about something off of the record. I didn't want the stigma (like Marta) of marijuana use in my medical records. He agreed. I told him briefly what I was going to try with the juice. I was shocked that he quickly agreed and said I should try it for six months and see if it helps. I also talked to my excellent nurse and she was very interested too.

So far the experiment is not as controlled as I would like it to be. I am not up to full treatment dose yet and I have missed days due to circumstances. I hope to fix these problems in the coming weeks and have a good case study to share.
I think that you should be congratulated for taking your health matters into your own control. There seems to be a Hugh amount if anecdotal evidence for the medical use of bong weed and I'm conservative in these matters. May I suggest that you document you doses/experiences. You m ay want to write or contribute to literature in the future.

Debbie C
06-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Me2, I don't think I want to take a chance of growing it on my property and buying that large amount to work every day would become costly. But I really want to try it and please let us know if you notice any difference.
Mikek can I just come to the land of Oz and build a little shack on your property..."we could all get high without leaving the farm !!!!" ( old song )

pberggren1
06-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Weed is def good......lol

Rini
07-03-2013, 07:41 PM
lol o goodness, what is happening on this board? I live in Indiana and weed is not legal but I have had MANY people decide that I need to try it sometime to help with my many pains and anxiety's. I would love to know the true symptoms and consequences and weed and wegie drugs!

annekat
07-04-2013, 01:42 AM
lol o goodness, what is happening on this board? I live in Indiana and weed is not legal but I have had MANY people decide that I need to try it sometime to help with my many pains and anxiety's. I would love to know the true symptoms and consequences and weed and wegie drugs! Heck, Rini, when I was your age, EVERYONE was trying it. I don't think smoking a little would affect your weggie drugs in any way. Just be careful, don't overdo it, and if the psychoactive effects do anything for you, it might be better to bake it in cookies, throw it into some stir-fry, etc. so as to protect your lungs. The stuff nowadays is a lot stronger than what was commonly available back in my early experience with it. So it shouldn't take much. You might not like the psychoactive effects and want to look into the "juicing" of the leaves, as described above, if you could get some somewhere....

Actually, Rini, I'm not recommending that you become a pot-head. But it wouldn't hurt to try it just to see what all the fuss is about. I think a lot of people of my generation are glad they did it because it opened up our consciousness a lot and got us out of the "straight and narrow" approach to life. But in those days, there were a lot more "rules" and conventions about how people lived and acted..... these days I think things are more relaxed and open to begin with. If you do try it, just think of it as like the first time you took a drink of an alcoholic beverage.... not that big a deal, and smart, sensible people will not let it take over their lives. In my day, there was way too much substance abuse of all kinds.... I think people have gotten a little smarter in general about that.

Alysia
07-04-2013, 04:50 AM
Hi Rini
I think you shouldnt try it. it is a risk that there is no reason to take. it may be dangerous. it may be not. but who knows for sure ?
please read what I wrote above.
if you want to feel better there are enough things to do which are not dangerous.

annekat
07-04-2013, 06:35 AM
To be truthful, Rini, I'm not sure pot would help with your anxieties. It tends to make one overly analytical while high (or it did me, anyway) so you might focus more on what is bothering you. A positive side might be seeing some helpful angle that you hadn't thought of before. But I don't think it is the same for everyone. Many people just have fun and feel mellow when high. Sort of like having a drink. But there are claims that it does help with pain. I can't speak to that because I never had occasion to use it that way. I don't think many on here believe there is a real risk that trying it once could make you psychotic or any of that. But a lot of things in life are a risk (like crossing a street or driving a car), and for someone, maybe that could be, too. In any case, of course you'll be keeping in mind that it is illegal, unless you want to come to Washington or Colorado!

Rini
07-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Hi Rini
I think you shouldnt try it. it is a risk that there is no reason to take. it may be dangerous. it may be not. but who knows for sure ?
please read what I wrote above.
if you want to feel better there are enough things to do which are not dangerous.

This statement breaks my heart. I am not saying I am for or against pot but to let risks give you such fear and hold you back is something no weggie should suffer. We have to take so many harmful drugs just to survive it is hard to belive you would be so against something because there may be a risk. What good is fighting so hard and taking all these drugs will all these bad effects if u cant chose to try something once?

MrRini
07-05-2013, 04:14 AM
This statement breaks my heart. I am not saying I am for or against pot but to let risks give you such fear and hold you back is something no weggie should suffer. We have to take so many harmful drugs just to survive it is hard to belive you would be so against something because there may be a risk. What good is fighting so hard and taking all these drugs will all these bad effects if u cant chose to try something once?
Why would anyone do drugs...

Mikek
07-05-2013, 08:14 AM
If Cannabis has some wonderful and life improving applications and we never ever get to benefit because it has a negative side, that would be tragic. Deadly nightshade can poison a child but, as a medication, has done considerable good.

Alysia
07-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Hi Rini. Im against MJ for everyone. not only to weggies.
I wrote the reasons above.

annekat
07-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Rini, whether you try pot or not, you will be OK. I personally believe that the drugs we take for Wegs are way more dangerous and potentially harmful to our bodies than pot could ever be. Sure, we have no choice but to take those, and most of us manage to deal with the side effects and get better. We do have a choice whether to try pot, to use alcohol, to drink coffee, eat chocolate, all things that we could do without and which can be problematic if over-used. I don't see why those things being optional would mean we should not ever use them. And if MJ does turn out to have beneficial effects for Weggies and other disease sufferers, I would think it would be a lot safer than the drugs we do take, and if it could lessen the amount of those meds we need or the amount of time we need them, that would be a good reason to give it a try.

mishb
07-05-2013, 09:09 PM
I saw my rheumatologist on Monday and I asked him what his thoughts were about mj.

He said that it hasn't been studied/tested for use with WG and the main concerns for a rheumatologist/immunologist etc, is to get the immune system down to stop it from attacking anything else.......and therefore, he said that he wouldn't recommend it to one of his patients.

Alysia
07-06-2013, 12:57 AM
I saw my rheumatologist on Monday and I asked him what his thoughts were about mj.

He said that it hasn't been studied/tested for use with WG and the main concerns for a rheumatologist/immunologist etc, is to get the immune system down to stop it from attacking anything else.......and therefore, he said that he wouldn't recommend it to one of his patients.

Hi Michelle.
thank you and please thank your doc for me :thumbup:
(I was feeling lonely in this thread)

mishb
07-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Sorry Alysia, I am neither for or against the use of mj.

I personally would not use it and wouldn't suggest anyone else does, but it is not for me to actually tell them not to.
If it works for them, then that is excellent and worth sticking too.
It is just not my thing and I feel that I have enough chemicals and crap being put into my body, that I don't really want to add anything else.
- but each to their own.

I was just repeating what my doc said.....let's worry about getting the immune system right.:thumbup:

Alysia
07-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Sorry Alysia, I am neither for or against the use of mj.

I personally would not use it and wouldn't suggest anyone else does, but it is not for me to actually tell them not to.
If it works for them, then that is excellent and worth sticking too.
It is just not my thing and I feel that I have enough chemicals and crap being put into my body, that I don't really want to add anything else.
- but each to their own.

I was just repeating what my doc said.....let's worry about getting the immune system right.:thumbup:

Hi Michelle. I know that you are not taking any side in the debate.
my thanks is for your citing of your doc.

Mikek
07-06-2013, 01:26 AM
I have never used MJ ever. I'm simply wanting to explore the potential of every possible avenue. I have the highest regard and respect for every opinion provided on this blog and for those contributing. I do emphasise that my interest is not in smoking MJ but rather in using it as a mendicant ,most likely in the form of an oil.

pberggren1
07-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I have never come across an MD that is pro MJ.

annekat
07-06-2013, 09:48 AM
I have never come across an MD that is pro MJ. There must be some MDs that think MJ is OK, otherwise they would not be writing people prescriptions to get medical MJ cards. I have no idea what the percentage might be of docs who would do this versus those who wouldn't. I have a friend with a card and I know nothing about her doctor; I think hers is not for an AI disease but some sort of neurological disorder.

drz
07-06-2013, 12:35 PM
How many states or places actually prescribe THC in plant or synthetic form. Earlier here it was noted it is used mainly to manage chronic pain in terminal cancer and maybe anxiety disorders and a few other medical problems. Any use as a medicine for other problems would need a lot more research to become accepted by mainstream medicine practice. It might help to remember there is lot of anecdotal support for all kinds of medical treatment scams so it would require some or a lot of valid research to become more accepted.

There are according to Wikipedia several areas that are worth researching: It also answered my question about legality in different states and countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

Mikek
07-06-2013, 01:18 PM
There is a video on Utube entitled "Leaf". It's well worth a look.

malin
07-13-2013, 05:33 AM
I have not used any myself but have several friends who both smoke and use cannabis oil.

I think it's the oil that's really interesting and would love to see some "official" - truly independent studies done to see what it actually does to different diseases.

I would say that one of the biggest reason why we don't hear much about it from official sources is that big pharmaceutical companies would seriously struggle to make any money on the oil if it was proven to help cure/relieve illnesses. Since its something that you can grow and produce relatively easily at home by yourself, so why would these global, money focused companies want to spend money researching and developing something that they could never really regulate?

As for the use of MJ for medical/pain management purposes, of course it can have side effects for some people but compare it to the side effects of other strong painkillers? There are extremely addictive and life altering pain medicines out there that some people are reliant on, surely it would be worth trying something that is all natural instead of having to rely on chemically produced toxins?

Overall, I think we need a lot more scientific research into various natural herbs, plants, animals etc. There is so much out there that could potentially be something life saving that we know nothing about at the moment because of these global multi-billion companies and political interests.
Not that long ago scientists discovered that black mamba venom has an effect as a painkiller that is about as potent as morphine but doesn't have the side effects.
I just think we really need to look to nature for more medicines in the future and it would be a shame if potential profits would stop that development.

Mikek
07-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I have not used any myself but have several friends who both smoke and use cannabis oil.

I think it's the oil that's really interesting and would love to see some "official" - truly independent studies done to see what it actually does to different diseases.

I would say that one of the biggest reason why we don't hear much about it from official sources is that big pharmaceutical companies would seriously struggle to make any money on the oil if it was proven to help cure/relieve illnesses. Since its something that you can grow and produce relatively easily at home by yourself, so why would these global, money focused companies want to spend money researching and developing something that they could never really regulate?

As for the use of MJ for medical/pain management purposes, of course it can have side effects for some people but compare it to the side effects of other strong painkillers? There are extremely addictive and life altering pain medicines out there that some people are reliant on, surely it would be worth trying something that is all natural instead of having to rely on chemically produced toxins?

Overall, I think we need a lot more scientific research into various natural herbs, plants, animals etc. There is so much out there that could potentially be something life saving that we know nothing about at the moment because of these global multi-billion companies and political interests.
Not that long ago scientists discovered that black mamba venom has an effect as a painkiller that is about as potent as morphine but doesn't have the side effects.
I just think we really need to look to nature for more medicines in the future and it would be a shame if potential profits would stop that development.this is precisely what I've been trying to say. There are numerous utube/blogs indicating the efficacy of MJ oil, far too many to be ignored.

Debbie C
07-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Hey Mikek, I haven't talked to you in awhile...How's Jenny doing ?

And I also agree with everything Malin had to say,it would put the pharmacutical business out of business.

Mikek
07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Hey Mikek, I haven't talked to you in awhile...How's Jenny doing ?

And I also agree with everything Malin had to say,it would put the pharmacutical business out of business.
Hi Debra, Jen's on her fifth dose of MTX (or is it MXT?) and I would say that there's some improvement. Not every day but the trend is positive. She's awfully weak and shaky and getting the nasal and throat bloody glunk two or three times a week. The ear pain is better than it was so, generally positive. How about you?

annekat
07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi Debra, Jen's on her fifth dose of MTX (or is it MXT?) and I would say that there's some improvement. Not every day but the trend is positive. She's awfully weak and shaky and getting the nasal and throat bloody glunk two or three times a week. The ear pain is better than it was so, generally positive. How about you? Things take a few weeks to improve noticeably. It sounds like Jen is doing well. MTX has been good for me and I think it will be for her, too.

Anth
08-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I've never smoked pot but started researching the subject on the net just a few days ago. The amount of information on confirming this to be a valuable medicine seems to be overwhelming.But if I put a few plants on my land, I'm a criminal! What the hecks going on?

You should research how many plants you can grow before you are a "criminal".. ;)

DRUGS, POISONS AND CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT 1981 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/dpacsa1981422/) section 61 onward.

I have a friend lawyer.. She told me and don't quote me but under 99 plants gets you a warning.. over maybe a fine or 3-6 months jail time depending on how many are grown.

Cannabis Legislation • NCPIC (http://ncpic.org.au/ncpic/links/legislation/)

Anth
08-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm very passionate about this issue. Not because i am a stoner or a drug dealer.. but i hate how the Victorian government (and really any government for that matter) puts the fear of god into people. If something like a plant could possibly help some with an illness, who is the government to stop you..? of course, there is those people that go down the "criminal" path, but why should the genuine people be treated like criminals as well? Any normal person can point out if someone is genuine or not. 20-60 odd year old with factories full of cannabis, other accomplices, a lot of money and possessions which don't add up..? 20-60 odd year old growing a couple plants in the yard and has a diagnosed illness..? I'm confused which one is the criminal..

If worrying about your health and wanting to try other things because things that are already in place aren't working well makes you a criminal.. Then guess what i am..

They say in their commercials that a "joint" is the same as being .05bal.. whats a "joint" to them? how big is this "joint" and if i smoke half of one can i drive..? they talk rubbish just like in the last commercial. guy has a couple puffs of a joint then drives home with Girlfriend who tells him to pull over. Once he gets out he gets hit by a car.

Whats the point of this commercial to the average person? You smoke. You die!

So do i just not drive and everything will be okay? is driving under the influence and maybe getting hit by a car the only bad things that can happen from smoking?

you can see what they are trying to do to us.. Not educate us. To scare us.

Why not make a real commercial saying the pros and cons of cannabis and let the people make up there own mind.

Oh but that's right the government doesnt make any money off cannabis like they do with smoking and alcohol.. why would they want us to know the pros!!

The commercials are targeted to the people that already think that way about cannabis. They make up the majority of the votes unfortunately. and by doing this the gov keeps things there way.

I think the more people educate themselves about things the better the outcome will be. It wont happen straight away but people are starting to change their way of thinking and once more and more people are educated the government will see that we as people of the community are the majority. not the wankers in their leather chairs yelling abuse at each other in Parliament house.

The government should do what is best for its people. Not itself.

Its all very political.. i like to study politics as a (26yo) and how it works because i think not enough younger people are doing so which will affect how our government is run in the future.

The government wastes so much money with stupid surveys and dumb things like a survey to see whats the average size of a persons head.. when they could be doing open studies on cannabis and its medicinal use. I'm sure the will have plenty of public support.

Sorry about the rant...

Cheers, Anth

Mikek
08-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I agree. In Tasmania ,any plant is a crime.its not heavily policed.

Dirty Don
08-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Rant on Anth...but spare the stress over it...not good for WG...let them do the research and selling of cannabis...things are changing bit by bit, some people are so stilted and controlled by the governmental enforcement of morality...anyways, I'm headed out to garage with my cup of coffee and a bowl...have a good day, stay relaxed and on top of the WG...best of luck!

Debbie C
08-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi Anth ,I agree with u that it should be up to us on what medicinal practice we wish to use. I personally think the MTX,RTX,CTX and all the other crap are worse for us in the long run. I think it is a quick fix to a problem noone knows how to solve. We don't have those commercials here,at least I haven't seen them and what is .05bal. Is that like the legal limit like alcohol ?

Good day Mikek..wish Jenny was feeling better, what is her dosage of MTX and is she on prednisone also ?Tell her hi and we are thinking about her and maybe one day she can come on here and tell us how well she's doing !!! Take care

Anth
08-03-2013, 07:11 PM
All the drugs we are on are a lot worse than cannabis.. MS, Liver cancer, Bones deteriorating.. Psychosis isn't sounding so bad.. thats if you abuse cannabis.

Like with everything.. Its okay in moderation.
If you eat one apple its good for you right? what if you eat ten at once? still good for? i don't think so.. too much sugars.
Half a glass of wine with dinner.. doctors orders.. a bottle a night.. you will be seeing that doctor real quick and it wont be for a check up.

I think people need to move past the social stigma that is cannabis and look at it in another light.

These people that are doing it for medical use aren't even getting high!!

Burning or heating of THC turns it into a chemical that gets you "high"

By not burning it, cold "juicing" or the use of alcohol to extract the THC make its good for medicinal purpose because 1. It doesn't get you "high." 2. The THC content is much higher when extracted this way.

If someone said heroin or cocaine or ice cured cancer you wouldn't even finish listening to them talk.. they are all man made. I don't see heroin or ice growing in paddocks..

its just a shame that people started using it socially which gave it the stigma.. what if no one smoked it and used it hundreds of years ago (which they probably did) to cure disease and that's all? It would still be the exact same PLANT it is today..

0.5 is the maximum BAL (Blood to alcohol level) you can have when driving.

Cheers, Anth

annekat
08-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Heroin and cocaine are both made from plants and both PLANTS have been used medicinally, and opiates are still used in some meds, not sure about coca. This doesn't mean I'm condoning their use for recreation or getting high to forget our problems. But I'm on your side with the MJ, Anth. I don't believe it is dangerous in the way those other plant-based drugs are, I think getting high is OK in moderation, though I don't do it anymore. Most of all, I think we need to keep pursuing the use of MJ and hemp for its medicinal and healing properties. It is especially good to know that we would have the option of using it in ways that don't get us high but do heal us. I agree that the stigma of the "getting high" aspect is the only thing that could be holding us back.

me2
08-15-2013, 04:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z3IMfIQ_K6U

Mikek
08-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Compulsive viewing

Debbie C
08-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi Mikek...there a a program on here in the states on CNN about medical marjuana..is it good or not..I'll watch it and let you know what they say. How's Jenny these days ?

Mikek
08-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi Debra, Hope that you are well. Jen has some good days and some not so good. I've got hold of some Apple cider vinegar to see if it helps her energy level which is quite low. We are going on a trip next week to see our grandkids in Queensland. I shall be interested to see the Pot programme.

annekat
08-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I see that Kirk, otherwise known as me2, has posted the youtube link to the CNN program, WEED, in its entirety, right here in this thread, in case anyone didn't make the connection. I didn't take time to watch the whole thing and hope to see it on TV, but otherwise, I know it is here.