PDA

View Full Version : Medic Alert Bracelets

Luce
06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi

Just wondered if anyone wears one of these should the worst happen?

I've just ordered myself a sportband style with medical information on as I suddenly realised the other day when I was out for a walk on the marsh that I didn't have any identification or my steroid card with me. I realised that should I get into difficulties it would be helpful to have something which told people who I was and that I was on steroids and immunosuppressants.

Am I being over-cautious?

Luce

Jack
06-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Something I've often considered over the years, but never done anything about. :rolleyes:
I think it is probably a very good idea.

Doug
06-30-2009, 06:45 AM
I'd never thought about this, but a MedicAlert bracelet might be a good idea to identify one as a Weggie, at least during the stage where one is on immunosuppresants and steroids.

jola57
06-30-2009, 04:09 PM
I thought about it but with our changing meds how to keep up. One way would be to just say that I am a weggie and on steroid and to look at my wallet info (have to make one up) maybe my docs number. What did you put on yours Luce

Jack
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I always keep a repeat prescription list in my wallet. I know that the medics always check for this.

Luce
06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I put my name, my condition (weggie) and "Meds: Steroids, Immunosuppressants", plus my partner's cellphone number.
I do keep information in my wallet but don't always have it with me so thought this would be enough basic info for a paramedic until they could get me to hospital and check my records or contact my fiance who knows pretty much what I'm taking at the moment.
Also I figured that while my medication will change I will always be taking some sort of steroid and immunosuppressant and if I'm lucky enough to come off of these meds then I'll stop wearing the bracelet.

Doug
07-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I already do keep a list of my medications, updated as necessary in my wallet. Adding the fact that I'm a Weggie, the doctors treating me, and their telephone numbers to the list is a topnotch idea! Good job!

andrew
07-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I've had one since a short time after I was diagnosed. Always a good thing to have on you because it has the file numbers of my patient records as well as my meds and dosages. Which reminds me...I have to renew!

mucjud13
07-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Andrew, where did you have your bracelet done?
judi m.

coffeelover
07-04-2009, 04:54 AM
I too keep my med list in my purse, but what a good idea Luce! I will look into it
LIsa

andrew
07-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Andrew, where did you have your bracelet done?
judi m.

I ordered mine straight from the Medicalert foundation: The Medic Alert Foundation (http://www.medicalert.com.au/)

jola57
07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I will order one soon too, WG is not going away so might as well. I will put name, prednisone, chemotherapy, see wallet and my hubby's phone

Sangye
07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I have a medical alert necklace that says I'm on blood thinners. Very important, because if you have an accident and even bump your head, they need to do a thorough check for cranial bleeding.

I also have a list in my wallet of all my conditions, risk factors (drug allergies, tape allergy, risk of acute adrenal crisis bec of pred history, immune-suppressed, etc...), doctor names and numbers, current drugs and dosages, emergency contacts. It's come in handy during a couple ambulance rides, when I've been in such pain I could hardly talk. I just hand it to them.