PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a Doctor, I just suffer from an incurable and life-threatening disease

Pierre42
05-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Looking back I realised that I can still say there's a silver lining in every cloud.

As a result of Wegener's I have learned many things, for example:

1. Prednisone causes sodium retention and potassium loss (as well as a whole bunch of other effects)

2. Potassium (amongst other things) helps regulate your heartbeat

3. Low Potassium leads to tachycardia

4. High Sodium leads to hypertension

5. (some) Blood Pressure medications can boost Potassium levels (behold the circle of life)

So that explains why I ended up in Hospital christmas 2011 wondering who hit the turbo boost on my heart.

If I had known 1+2+3 I'd have eaten a LOT more potatoes:

6. Potatoes are fairly high in potassium (just avoid frying them, and avoid adding salt - BEST is baked-in-skin)
7. So are Dried Apricots (eat the unsulphured air dried Turkish ones)

And drunk more beetroot juice:

8. Beetroot juice can help lower bloodpressure (http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2013/04/25/drinking-beetroot-juice-every-day-can-help-lower-blood-pressure-by-7-percent/) (through an entirely different mechanism, oddly enough)

There are always things to be wary of, when you have an autoimmune disease:

9. echinacea hits the turbo button on your immune system , very effectively counteracting the meds currently keeping you alive

mishb
05-24-2013, 10:46 PM
This is a wonderful post Pierre42.......and you are very correct. I, too, found this out not long ago
......didn't have any troubles to speak of, but the doctor has warned me of the troubles that can occur, because my last bloods have shown low potassium.

So I guess that your heart situation is resolved now.

Maybe you are a doctor :tongue1:
I think at lot of us can become doctors after all the knowledge we have gained, not only through this illness......but from this forum.

Alysia
05-25-2013, 03:22 PM
this forum as a group is "the best WG doc in the world"....

thank you Pierre for the important information :thumbup: