PDA

View Full Version : New Kid on the Block from NY

Meode81
05-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Hola Peeps! Took a while to admit that I really have this. I had a cold in November that wouldn't go away... and by January I had to have my lung removed from infection......ALL because of this wonderful illness I did not know I had and I know nothing about...... STILL CONFUSED but alive :rolleyes1:
My steroid dose is going down WAHOO and the Rituxamab treatments helped. I am a teacher so my students are my sunshine, but I feel like I've lost myself in all of this. Am I crazy? :drool:

Pete
05-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Welcome to the club. Sorry you've had such an awful experience with wegs. The people on this forum are wonderfully supportive and have a lot of experience with the disease and its treatments. Don't be afraid to ask questions - someone will be able to give advice or have a good answer.

Good luck and better health!

Dirty Don
05-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Hola Meode...welcome to the biggest little club in the world! Sounds as if you've been hit pretty hard by WG. We all have varying degrees of WG on here with lots of experience, knowledge, and compassion. As Pete pointed out, please ask any and all questions, contribute what you've learned, and share in the discussions as you see fit...there's always someone around with whom to share. Best to you.

PS: you're not crazy...just a Weggie!

mishb
05-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi Meode........I'm glad you can join us, but sorry that you had too.

I love Don's comment - you're not crazy.....just a weggie! :biggrin1:
Couldn't have said it better myself............well, maybe just a little crazy :flapper: :razz:

Wow, a lung removed - that there is crazy.
I'm glad you are starting to feel a little better.

drz
05-07-2013, 03:28 PM
..I'm glad you can join us, but sorry that you had too. Well said. glad you survived the initial treatment. Things do then generally gets better but it can take some time.

Psyborg
05-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

Alysia
05-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Hi Meode.
welcome to the best forum in the world. this is a home for us, weggies. the amazing people here helps me so much, I cant imagine survivng WG physically and mentally without this place.
you are a teacher - thats nice. how old are your pupils ? do they know about your illness ?
I like you style of writing. and I also cant bear seeing anymore docs, but I dont have a choice :frown:

annekat
05-08-2013, 04:48 AM
Welcome, Meode! I'm sorry you had to lose a lung over this, but glad the treatments are helping, and no, you aren't crazy! I agree with Alysia that it would hard to imagine life without this forum, and I'm very glad you have found it and joined it! I look forward to hearing more from you.

whatthewhat
05-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi Meode - welcome to the forum <3

Meode81
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
THANK YOU ALL! It is a blessing to have you and this forum. The past 6 months have been hell and confusing... I have one Iron lung left and I won't let this take a kidney cause my students will lose their mind. I was out of work for 3 months and when I returned I was honest with my kiddies about what happened and how things were going to be different. They were upset when I didn't return after Christmas break and upset/happy when I returned Going back to work was the BEST thing. I COULD NOT deal with being home and letting my mind go wild~! Work is exhausting and I CANNOT DEAL WITH THE "NEUROPOTHY" FEELING IN ONE OF MY FEET!!!!. sooo frustrating!!! As a new "Weggie", I am happy to be here!!!!!!!!! <3

mishb
05-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi Meode,

Yes, this Weggie'ness that we find ourselves with, is confusing and, initially, hell is a good word.

I'm glad you finally got back to work and doing the thing that you love, but I worry about you being around/exposed to the kids, for such a long period each day.
With the RTX infusions, your immune system will be extremely low and your B cells, no existant (I think)
Being exposed to people with coughs/colds and especially childhood bugs in general (chicken pox is a bad one) can be extremely dangerous for you.
It is best to try and avoid prolonged exposure.

I seem to preach precaution, however I work everyday and catch trains and trams with the general (germy) public.
I am a true germaphobe (even prior to diagnosis) and therefore, I wear a scarf whilst on public transport, and hitch it up over my mouth and sometimes nose.....to try and block out most coughs and sneezes around me.
I wear sleeves (even on hot days) and use the sleeves to cover my hands when touching doors (especially toilets) and elevator buttons, traffic lights etc.
I also use hand sanitiser which is required after shaking someone's hand or signing without my own pen - and do nasal rinses when I get to work (after the train) and when I get home again at night (after the train).

I'm not saying anything will happen to you, from your kiddies, but just to be a little more cautious than normal.