PDA

View Full Version : MTX maximum length of treatment

maria garcia
05-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Anyone knows what is the longest period a person can take medication MTX?

Pete
05-02-2013, 11:09 PM
I'be been told that I'll be on mtx for at least two years (started in July 2012). Since I have no side effects and am feeling good, it's not an issue for me.

pwc51
05-03-2013, 09:18 AM
My understanding is that it can be used for years! I have been on the injected version for two years (was on tablets for 9 months before that) - just flared slightly so they will be upping the dose for at least the next 2 years! I hate it with a passion - even the injected can make me feel bad for a couple of days - thank goodness work can take my mind off it a little!

mishb
05-03-2013, 09:48 AM
I have been told that it is safe to use indefinately.

I was also advised that if I couldn't safely reduce, or wean off it totally, then it was fine to remain on a maintenance dose.

Even though I also hate it, more than pred, I feel safer on it than I think I would feel off it.

maria garcia
05-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing info on this,I feel better.

maria garcia
05-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I have been told that it is safe to use indefinately.

I was also advised that if I couldn't safely reduce, or wean off it totally, then it was fine to remain on a maintenance dose.

Even though I also hate it, more than pred, I feel safer on it than I think I would feel off it.

What would be a maintenance dose?

Dirty Don
05-03-2013, 03:14 PM
What would be a maintenance dose?

Around 15mg/week.

maria garcia
05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Christina is on 25 mgs and only weighs 95 pounds on a good day.

annekat
05-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Around 15mg/week. I guess I am on a maintenance dose, then. I'm on 15mg./wk and it is working very well for me. 10mg. was not enough, I had a flare on that dose. My doctor was wrong.

Maria, my neighbor was on MTX for about 12 years for RA. Then some liver issues were detected, and he was taken off it, and I guess, put on something else, I don't know what. I don't know what dose of MTX he was on but I think it was more than I am taking, or at least no less. 25mg./wk does sound like kind of a lot for a 95 lb. person, but then I'm no expert in the least.