PDA

View Full Version : Suppliments

greenjeep
04-29-2013, 03:04 AM
I have committed the ultimate indescretion and omitted a thread search - just jumped right in with a new one!! Just wondering, has anyone tried any supplements or herbal stuff to combat symptoms and such with WG? I have never used anything except a multivitamin, but the lady that cuts my hair suggested I try Holy Basil for anxiety / depression. She went on to say that there is a herbal remedy for almost everything (of course). I don't pretend to believe that there is one that will eliminate WG, but it would be nice if there were safe things to take for some of the side effects of CTX, pred and the like. I also know I would have to discuss them with my Dr. because some can interfere with other drugs, but just thinking...:confused1:

Pete
04-29-2013, 03:16 AM
I take a few supplements with my doctors' blessings. Caltrate + D 600 twice a day to maintain bone density and vitamin D that prednisone depletes. Niacin for cholesterol control. Potassium to ward off muscle cramps. I also take a centrum silver every day.

Alysia
04-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Hi,
Im taking, against hair loss (because of MTX): folic acid, multi-vitamin & avazinc. and vitamin D.

Dirty Don
04-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Let's see: multi vitamin for old people, 1000 mg vitamin C, folic acid, Lexapro, pantaprazole, what else...can't remember...old guy!

mishb
04-29-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm only taking folic acid, Vitamin D and Calcium.
I can't take multi vitamins because something in it was affecting my liver and I can't take vitamin C because since having WG, I am now allergic to anything citrus.

I was also told not to drink Green Tea and googled green tea interactions, and they are not very good for many reasons, and especially some drug interactions and if you are on MTX.

Sangye, as a natural medicine healer, will also tell you that she tried to treat herself with such remedies, and ended up very ill.

Alysia
04-30-2013, 12:47 AM
I was also told not to drink Green Tea and googled green tea interactions, and they are not very good for many reasons, and especially some drug interactions and if you are on MTX.

WOW, i didnt know that. and Im drinking a lot of green tee ! maybe that is the reason my symptoms became worse lately eventhough Im on MTX.
what about other tea ? coffee ?
now, Don, I understand your "cup of coffee"...:thumbup:

KimH
04-30-2013, 02:33 AM
I was going to ask Sangye about herbs etc. I am considering working with my chiropractor on an autoimmune diet and total wellness plan. There is a lot to this plan and I am wondering if there is anything I shouldn'ttake while on CTX, pred and Bactrim.

Debbie C
05-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Does Niacin help with Choloestral (sp) ? My dr wanted me to take 10mg. Crestor but I thought I could get it down naturally,so I haven't taken any yet. I take 2000 iu Vit D, Fish or krill oil tabs. whenever I feel like it. I also take a baby aspirin since a had a small storke and about 5 TIA's. I did'nt know that about green tea being bad for you either.... I drink it all the time but I'm not on MTX,does that make a difference ?

mishb
05-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Below is the link from Maryland University in regards to green tea.

Scroll down towards the end and you will see interractions with certain medications.........It was certainly an eye opener for me

Green tea (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm)

Pete
05-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Good to know. Thx for sharing.

annekat
05-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Below is the link from Maryland University in regards to green tea.

Scroll down towards the end and you will see interractions with certain medications.........It was certainly an eye opener for me

Green tea (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm) That's the first I've heard of green tea being a problem for us. It lists MTX as a possible bad interaction but doesn't go into any detail. I thought green tea was a healthy alternative to coffee, which is dehydrating and is a vasoconstrictor. When I'm flaring, I can't stand coffee, it makes me feel terrible, but now that I'm feeling better, I can enjoy it almost as much as Don does! I do watch my intake of it, though, and lately have taken to drinking black tea most mornings for my caffeine buzz. With half and half or other lightener such as almond milk. Then when I'm out and about, I'm likely to have a cup of coffee somewhere.

One thing I remember Sangye and others saying is don't take herbs or supplements that boost the immune system, because our immune systems are out of whack and we are trying to suppress them, not boost them. These would interfere with our immunosuppressant meds. Examples would be echinacea and Vitamin C, though it's said that a moderate amount of C, like 1000mg. a day, is OK, just not megadoses.

That is all I remember right now, and there is a lot in the archives.

greenjeep
05-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Good lord. It sounds way too complicated for me. I really don't want to discuss it with my doc because he doesn't seem to be hip to the whole supplement schema. I never really thought about coffee or tea making a difference. I am going to have to analyze what I am eating / drinking. Thanks for all the input, I will dive into this sea slowly.

greenjeep
05-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Well, I looked at the link that misb posted. It mentions MTX at the end but earlier, I think under the prostate cancer subheading, I found this sentence: " However, both green and black tea extracts also stimulated genes that cause cells to be less sensitive to chemotherapy drugs. People who are undergoing chemotherapy should ask their doctors before drinking green or black tea, or taking tea supplements." This may be why MTX is mentioned without any specific reason.

annekat
05-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Hmm, well we've had discussions about tea and coffee on here before, and I think there are a bunch of people who drink green and black tea, as well as some who drink coffee, and who in all those cases feel OK about it. So I doubt if too many people are going to change their caffeine sources or other drinking habits as long as they don't feel any ill effects. For everything bad you can find written about coffee and tea, you can also find benefits listed, more so for tea and some for coffee. I know I've had two people on here tell me in private messages that they drink green tea quite a bit.

mishb
05-07-2013, 12:14 AM
I drink black tea - don't like coffee - and my rheumy was the one that told me to avoid green tea because of possible interactions.
She didn't say there were interactions - just - possible interactions.

But I also have RA - so who knows......maybe the RA joint pains are from the tea/caffeine.

She also told me to avoid skin creams with added Vitamin E........vitamin E can cause heart trouble or something like that and it shouldn't be absorbed through the skin - I did google the reason, long ago.

No-one else, not any other doctors, have ever given me these two pieces of advice/recommendations......but I choose to follow her advice.

I guess it's the old saying - each to their own.

As in everything, all they can do is make recommendations, and then it is up to us to choose whether to follow.

annekat
05-07-2013, 02:24 AM
I agree, Michelle. I gravitate toward black tea lately, too. I think it is a little better for one than drinking coffee all day. And I have discovered that green tea tends to make me sleepy! But yes, to each his own. There is so much health advice in the world today it makes one's head spin. If you read and try to follow it all, it is impossible, because there are so many contradictions. So we must follow our instincts a lot of the time.