PDA

View Full Version : Andrew

andrew
05-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Where was I between February and May 2003? Sick,sick,sick. I got this ugly little disease called Wegener's Granulomatosis.

Things started to go pear-shaped around November 2002. I started getting blood in my urine, aches and fevers. The doctor thought it was kidney stones but I couldn't get in for an ultrasound until mid-January. Things got progressively worse with constant sinus infections that no antibiotic would fix. There was shortness of breath, arthritis and more fevers.

Eventually my kidneys failed and my lungs filled with fluid. Unfortunately, I was using them at the time. I walked into hospital in March, 2003 with my entire left lung filled with fluid and the right one 80% full. There were a couple of weeks there when it could have gone either way but with what I truly believe was divine intervention, I got through it and am making great progress. I'm working full time again and go to the gym every day.

I was in intensive care for 31 days - during most of this time I couldn't talk because of the Trachea tube in my throat. That was a charming little device I can tell you. They cut a hole in your throat and put a tube in. I was breathing through that for most of the time. Yeech :-) Apart from that Trachea tube, I was on a ventilator, had a naso-gastric tube in my nose being used to feed me, drainage tubes in each lung and three more tubes of various descriptions and in various parts of my body. I had plenty of time to count them and (although I know they were doing me good) curse them. I learned to sleep without moving a muscle because of all the bits and pieces attached to me. I've only recently started moving around in my sleep.

Sleep was another thing altogether. It's a natural phenomenon in ICU that sleep doesn't come easily with all the noise of people coming in and out and monitors going off all the time. Added to that was the fact that I was started on dialysis when in ICU and the machines they used were prone to failure which meant alot of mucking around trying to get them to work in the middle of the night. Reading this as I'm typing it looks like I'm complaining. I'm not...ok? :-)

The drugs I was on initially were very strong and designed to keep me 'under'. Not only did they send me to dreamland but the dreams/hallucinations were about as realistic as they could get. I think it was a fairly even split between dark/evil hallucinations and the most peaceful, comforting and spiritual visions you'd ever want to see. I'll remember them, both good and bad, for the rest of my life. One day I may even write them down but for now they're safely locked in my head.

Anyway...I got out of ICU after 31 days minus most of my tubes but still on dialysis. The remarkable thing was that as soon as I moved into a normal ward, I felt myself starting to make progress every day. What was even more remarkable was that my kidneys started to return (ever so slowly) to normal function. I don't think my kidneys will ever be 'normal' again but they're MUCH better than they were. My progress, I'm sure, is the result of about 200 people, many of whom I have never met and never will, praying for me all the time. Thanks!!!!

My lungs are getting stronger by the day as well. I'm doing things now that I couldn't do two weeks ago. I'm driving the car and doing errands on my own. I have to be careful though not to do too much. That's easy though -I've always found it easy to do nothing!

There's probably more I can say but nothing comes to mind at the moment. I might add to this later but one thing is for certain. I never, never....ever want to go through that again! Also....after watching the brilliant staff at Royal Darwin Hospital, I never EVER want to be a Nurse! Love you guys - you're brilliant! I couldn't have had better care.

Andrew MacLean
Canberra, ACT
Australia

moyan
12-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Thank you Andrew. I now know for sure that the breathing problems is related to WG, also that things might get better. They actually have, I was misdiagnosed and mistreated 3 years ago, but kidneys seem to be somewhat stable and as of today I can stand without support a few seconds:rolleyes:. Trying to find my way on this site is hard for a computer imbecil, but I only found you a few days ago so......
Thanks again Laughter is internal jogging :) Moyan

jola57
12-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Welcome moyan. since Andrew upgraded and changed the website somewhat we are all in the same boat. You seem to be doing just fine on the website :))