PDA

View Full Version : Warm Humid climates

greenjeep
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I read an article several weeks ago (sorry, it was on the internet and I didn't bookmark it's location) and it stated that weggies seem to do better in wam or humid climates. It also said something about "salty" climates which I interpreted to mean coastal. I live in a very dry, dusty climate. It made me think of moving to another location where there is more humidity. Surely some of you guys live in such a climate - or have moved from one extreme to the other. Has anyone noticed a difference, or was this article totally off base.
To me, a sinus condition may do better in a humid climate (or I could be wrong) but it doesn't seem that it would affect vasculitis at all. Anyway, just curious about any input you guys might have. I would be a hassle to pick up and move only to find out the stress of moving causes more relapses than dry climates.

Terry

Dirty Don
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I live near PHX, hot dry dirty &dusty. Even have Valley Fever spores. I'm from Oregon, cool, humid, muddy, full of allergens. One better than the other for me? Don't think so. The article you read is a fairly common perception of how people with WG should/could react, but I sincerely doubt there's much validation...look at the Weggie map...we're from all over the world in varying degrees of recovery, etc. Al was recovering in a cool damp climate...he also died there of a massive infection...Lightwarrior passed in the desert...good luck, just make sure you can validate your decision...

mishb
04-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Hi Terry, I agree with Don.

Parts of Australia are very humid and others are drier.

When I was first diagnosed I had planned to go on holidays to Fiji.
My doctor advised me to still go because the humidity would do wonders for my sinuses....
.......Nope, no different, no change at all. It didn't seem to make any difference with the joint pain either.

I hadn't started on any WG medications by this stage, only antibiotics and anti inflammatories for the RA.

Maybe you could try it out by just holidaying somewhere humid first, to see it is works for you.

andrew
04-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Hi there
I lived in the tropics when I was first diagnosed. Once I moved to a more temperate area (an area with actual seasons) I felt much better. The humidity of the tropics made it quite difficult to breathe for me and I think contributed to my fatigue. Once I moved away I got stronger much faster than I expected.

Once again though, everyone's different. Someone else might benefit from being in a very humid and hot environment. My advice - stay where you are and rest up :)

drz
04-10-2013, 02:05 AM
I have less sinus junk when I run humidifier at night during the winter time when our air gets very dry. But I know high heat and high humidity together is also tough to endure. Like New Orleans in July.

annekat
04-10-2013, 08:15 AM
If we are talking about humidity, then I'd think that cool and humid, like here, must be very different from warm and humid, which I have rarely experienced and certainly not since having Wegs. Oh, once in awhile in the summer we have a warm, humid day. But I think not as warm or humid as what you get east of the Mississippi. If Sangye sees this maybe she can chime in, having moved from dry Arizona to warm and humid Maryland. I'd be interested to know what affect she may think that climate has had on her Wegs.

carriej22
04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Well, I'm in Canada.

The interesting thing about where I live is I have all these things!

I live in Atlantic Canada, it may not be hot and tropical but there it's lots of ocean and humidity in the warm months, and it gets HOT.

Then it gets very, very cold and dry in the winter.

I have not had this disease long enough yet to make judgement; but while I dislike the heat; I think I "feel" better during warmer months. We'll see I guess.