PDA

View Full Version : IgG & IgM readings - Insight into what they mean?

BookNut
04-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know the meaning of lower than normal IgG and IgM lab results? I got a good, understandable explanation on IgG from Mayo Clinic site. But I am struggling especially with understanding the significance of IgM results.

Both my readings are listed as low. The IgA reading is normal. As near as I can figure - the IgG and IgM readings meansthat my immune system is weak - not overactive as my rheumatologist suggested when she diagnosed mild WG. If my interpretation of the readings is correct - I am very glad that I made the decision to stay off Imuran until I knew more.

I would be interested in any feed-back you could give me. Thanks so much!!

mishb
04-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Below is what I have found out about the readings. By reading this, I guess your doc is seeing whether you have the correct antibodies to fight infections ???

What It Is
An immunoglobulin test measures the level of certain immunoglobulins, or antibodies, in the blood. Antibodies are proteins made by the immune system to fight antigens, such as bacteria, viruses, and toxins.
The body makes different immunoglobulins to combat different antigens. For example, the antibody for chickenpox isn't the same as the antibody for mononucleosis. Sometimes, the body may even mistakenly make antibodies against itself, treating healthy organs and tissues like foreign invaders. This is called an autoimmune disease.
The five subclasses of antibodies are:
1. Immunoglobulin A (IgA), which is found in high concentrations in the mucous membranes, particularly those lining the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears (nose, eyes, ears etc). IgA antibodies protect body surfaces that are exposed to outside foreign substances.
2. Immunoglobulin G (IgG), the most abundant type of antibody, is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections. They are the smallest but most common antibody (75% to 80%) of all antibodies in the body.
3. Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid, is the first to be made by the body to fight a new infection. They also cause other immune system cells to destroy foreign substances.
4. Immunoglobulin E (IgE), which is associated mainly with allergic reactions (when the immune system overreacts to environmental antigens such as pollen or pet dander). It is found in the lungs, skin, and mucous membranes. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies
5. Immunoglobulin D (IgD), which exists in minute amounts in the blood and in the tissues that line the belly or chest. How they work is not clear.
The levels of each type of antibody can give your doctor information about the cause of a medical problem.
IgA, IgG, and IgM are frequently measured simultaneously. Evaluated together, they can give doctors important information about immune system functioning, especially relating to infection or autoimmune disease.
Why It's Done
Once an antibody is produced against a specific antigen, the next time that antigen enters the body, the immune system "remembers" its response and produces more of the same antibodies. In that way, checking for the presence of specific immunoglobulins in the blood can be helpful in diagnosing or ruling out infections or certain other illnesses.
Doctors also rely on the immunoglobulin test as one of the tools to help diagnose immunodeficiencies (when the immune system isn't working properly). A person can be born with an immunodeficiency or acquire it through infection, disease, malnutrition, burns, or as a side effect of medications. Doctors may suspect an immunodeficiency in a person who experiences frequent or unusual infections.
Immunoglobulin levels are also used as part of an evaluation for autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and celiac disease.

BookNut
04-06-2013, 04:23 PM
My rheumy has diagnosed WG. However, my igg and igm leavels are low, which makes me really question the diagnosis. It is my understanding that WG causes high levels not low levels. it would seem to me that these low levels put me at risk of repeated infections. I would think that Taking an immunsuppresent prescribed for WG would be dangerous if my labs show an immune system deficiency rather than an overactive immune system.

Thank you SO much for providing this information. I might be totally wrong...but when I read the effects of immune deficiency, the signs and symptoms make sense to me. WG just has too many aspects that do not fit my situation. This is very helpful to me and will help me prep questions for my pulmonologist appt on Friday. Can you give me the link to this info online. I have not run across anything this comprehensive and easy to understand.

mishb
04-06-2013, 05:04 PM
This is the link I used and then searched a little more to add to the link to make it easier to understand.

Blood Test: Immunoglobulins (IgA, IgG, IgM) (http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/medical/test_immunoglobulins.html)

I just dug out my old test results and can't see that I have ever had these tests done, so I couldn't tell you if high or low is symptom of WG