PDA

View Full Version : Cool New Search Engine for Physicians

Sangye
04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
There is a saying that doctors are taught while learning diagnosis: "If you hear hooves, don't think zebras." This means that you should think of the more common illnesses first, as opposed to thinking every patient has a rare disease. As we know, this also means that those of us with rare diseases might be misdiagnosed for quite awhile.

Today I found that there's a new experimental search engine for physicians called FindZebra (http://findzebra.compute.dtu.dk/). You type in a symptom and it gives you a list of rare diseases that are linked to it, along with a brief description of the disease and how to differentially diagnose it.

Of course I tested many symptoms of Wegs. They didn't list Wegs as a possibility with joint pain, dyspnea (shortness of breath), sinus pain, fatigue, night sweats or blood clots, all of which are not only common with Wegs but might be the first or only symptom. (I had nothing but severe joint pain for months) I notified them via a Feedback link. Check it out. I think this will be a fantastic tool for doctors. Let all of your doctors know about it.

annekat
04-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Good to see you, Sangye! And thanks for that, it seems like a cool tool. I'm glad you gave them the feedback on what they were missing with Wegs.

mishb
04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Yes Sangye, welcome back.
I hope you are well and out and about now that the weather is getting better.

This is a very interesting link.

Thankyou

pberggren1
04-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Great work Sangye. I think this is going to be a good site for sure. I just sent a link to my doc.

renidrag
04-04-2013, 11:54 PM
That's cool Sangye, and good to see you again.
Dale

drz
04-05-2013, 05:10 AM
I typed in the symptoms I had before I was finally diagnosed (roving pain in joints, bloody crusting in nasal passages, fatigue, weight loss, blood in urine) and the first choice listed was Wegs. I got the same result after I added those symptoms that developed later after my hospital admission but before diagnosis like hearing loss and coughing up blood. Pretty cool and wish I would have had four years ago and saved myself all the problems that resulted from delayed diagnosis and treatment.