PDA

View Full Version : New FDA Warning About Zithromax

Sangye
03-14-2013, 04:14 AM
The FDA released a new warning about the antibiotic zithromax (aka azithromycin or Z-pak).
FDA: Popular antibiotic can cause fatal heart rhythms - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/health/fda-antibiotic-heart-warning/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Some highlights from the article:
- A popular antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections can cause abnormal -- and possibly fatal -- heart rhythms in some patients

- 2.5 times higher risk of death from heart disease in the first five days of using a Z-Pak when compared to another common antibiotic or no antibiotics at all

- may cause changes in the electrical activity of the heart

- People with underlying heart problems seem to be especially vulnerable to developing this condition.

- Patients who have low blood levels of potassium or magnesium are at a higher risk. Patients who have a slower than normal heart rate or are already taking drugs to treat arrhythmias should also be cautious.

JeanMarie
03-14-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Sanjay--important info for all of us!!

pberggren1
03-14-2013, 07:45 AM
I have used this one a few times. I even have a bottle on hand in case I get another lung infection.

drz
03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=Sangye;66811]The FDA released a new warning about the antibiotic zithromax (aka azithromycin or Z-pak).
FDA: Popular antibiotic can cause fatal heart rhythms - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/health/fda-antibiotic-heart-warning/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

- A popular antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections can cause abnormal -- and possibly fatal -- heart rhythms in some patients

- 2.5 times higher risk of death from heart disease in the first five days of using a Z-Pak when compared to another common antibiotic or no antibiotics at all

- People with underlying heart problems seem to be especially vulnerable to developing this condition.

- Patients who have low blood levels of potassium or magnesium are at a higher risk. Patients who have a slower than normal heart rate or are already taking drugs to treat arrhythmias should also be cautious.[/QUOTE

Shucks again, this is the fall back meds for my serious infections like last sinus infection I had. It works so much quicker and better than other regular antibiotics I can still still take due to various drug allergies. I have developed a mild arrhythmia but one doctor thought it related to one of the blood pressure meds I take and they are going to try wean me off that one if possible.

beeinformed
03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
The FDA released a new warning about the antibiotic zithromax (aka azithromycin or Z-pak).

- Patients who have low blood levels of potassium or magnesium are at a higher risk. Patients who have a slower than normal heart rate or are already taking drugs to treat arrhythmias should also be cautious.

Thanks Sangye for posting this info as this is one of the few antibiotics I have taken, that doesn't give me any side effects!

Debbie C
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info Sangye,that seems to be what they give me when I go to the e.r. for anything !!

annekat
03-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Hmm... that is the first one I was given when I had the terrible bilateral ear infection that signaled the beginning of my Wegs (though I didn't know it until 2.5 years later). It didn't work to kill the infection. But that is all beside the point, which is, thanks, Sangye, for this heads up!

mishb
03-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Don't think it's in Australia, maybe it has another name again.

I will be sure to look out for it though......scary stuff

Thankyou for the heads up Sangye :thumbsup: