PDA

View Full Version : Salt linked to immune system problems

MCC
03-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone, i hope you are doing well.

I was kind of shocked by this article; BBC News - Salt linked to immune rebellion in study (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21685022) "The amount of salt in our diet could be involved in driving our own immune systems to rebel against us, leading to diseases such as multiple sclerosis, early laboratory findings suggest.
Several teams of scientists have simultaneously published data in the journal Nature suggesting a link. Salt may activate a part of the immune system which can target the body."

What do you guys think? I am curious to know how much salt you all eat, or did around the time you got ill? I used to be a HUGE salt fiend...people would always comment on how much I had. Now i still like it, but since I eat about 50% raw I dont have anywhere near as much.

mishb
03-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I heard that on the radio this morning.

My husband and I looked at each other and said what a load of rubbish.

Salt is something that we don't have much of - my daughters complain that this is the reason why they get leg cramps, because they don't have enough salt.
I guess a lot of shop bought products have way too much salt, but we have always watched it because of our blood pressure.

The only reason salt is even in my cupboard (and it's a little tiny shaker) is because my mum likes it on chips and my sister-in-law has to add extra salt because she has addisons. However, she did not get addisons (another AI condition) because of too much salt, because she never used it and is a vegetarian.

I look forward to your thoughts

MCC
03-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm vegan and vegetarian since a child and have never eaten much processed food. I just liked adding salt to everything :biggrin1:

chrisTIn@
03-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I have fairly low bloodpressure. I like the taste of salt on my softboiled-egg, and now and then add it to my food, when having dinner.
Still, when I think about it, I guess I'm using less salt nowadays then I was during the time before I got diagnosed.

I would like to know if they 'll find more significant results on this subject, though...
This study is merely about mice on a high salt menu, that are more likely to develope MS.

marylz
03-08-2013, 02:36 AM
I add lots of salt to my food because I can't really taste anything(or smell.) You would think that that would make me eat less, but...no!!! I guess the pred drives me, because food sounds good! LOL

Dirty Don
03-08-2013, 03:27 AM
I've changed my diet quite a bit since my dx...cutting out at least half the meat intake, consciously avoiding salt (I know about processed foods - hard to do there 'cept don't eat them), don't go out to restaurants so often (like rarely now and I love going out to eat!), added much more fruit & greens, NO MORE chocolate and related items, and so on...have lost 20 lbs, feel waaaay better than before the dx. Before the dx I ate what I wanted, especially ice cream! and so on. Have no idea if diet affected the 'downfall', but I do feel better now...

annekat
03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Don, I know you drink a lot of coffee. Apparently it doesn't cause problems for you. I enjoy coffee, too, but when I'm in a flare, as I am now (not a serious one, and better, but still a flare), I have a really hard time handling coffee! I know it is dehydrating, for one, and I should drink more plain water. If I am really feeling bad, I don't even want coffee! But there are the in-between times when I want and have a little, and then may or may not regret it. It seems to increase my overall feeling of inflammation, as does too much sugar. I do OK, though, with black or green tea during these non-coffee times. As for salt, I don't use a lot. Definitely avoid processed foods. Other diet things I could mention but was asking about the coffee, and if you have any issues with it, out of curiosity, since I know you love it so much!

me2
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Anne, coffee affects me exactly the same way it affects you. When I am doing great coffee doesn't bother me much. The worse I am feeling the worse coffee makes me feel. It affects my eyes. They water , look inflamed, and get goopy if I use coffee when I'm not doing well.
Like you, tea does not affect me in any adverse way. Consequently, I drink tea every day and only coffee sometimes when I go out. I don't keep it in the house any more.
I saw the article on salt too. When I was young I used lots of salt- the standard American amount.
I use very little in the last few years. I eat almost zero processed food. I use salt very rarely at home - like once every few months. Still, its something to think about. I will be less quick to add salt when I really don't need it. If I get a pet mouse he DEFINITELY goes on a low salt diet.

annekat
03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
That's interesting, Kirk. After I wrote that I realized that when I'm flaring I'm usually on higher pred than usual, and coffee would understandably make me more jittery in combo with the higher pred. So that's part of my issue with coffee not sitting well with me when flaring. But having you say what you said reinforces my original idea, that when flaring or not feeling well, my body just somehow knows that I don't need or won't react well to coffee. I know it is a vasoconstrictor, which could make your tear ducts swell up and the tears come out of your eyes instead of draining properly. I think that happens to me, too.

If we meet up (we are relative neighbors, guys!), we can talk more about diet stuff!

Dirty Don
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Don, I know you drink a lot of coffee. Apparently it doesn't cause problems for you...was asking about the coffee, and if you have any issues with it, out of curiosity, since I know you love it so much!

Anne, actually I only consume 2-3 cups in the AM. When traveling, I sometimes drink a Starbucks...just cuz! And I'm only on 4 mg of pred at this time...I also workout in AM & golf 3 days a week, so I believe I get past negative effects fairly well...I DO love my coffee tho!

annekat
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Anne, actually I only consume 2-3 cups in the AM. When traveling, I sometimes drink a Starbucks...just cuz! And I'm only on 4 mg of pred at this time...I also workout in AM & golf 3 days a week, so I believe I get past negative effects fairly well...I DO love my coffee tho! I sure know the feeling of loving a cup of coffee! Have had to be a lot more careful since having Wegs. But when I'm feeling pretty good, and not flaring, I can manage a couple cups in the AM and maybe another one a bit later on. If I have one at like 3:00PM or later, it can interfere with my sleep that night. Black or green tea do not do that so much. Sounds like you are doing great with your workouts and golf and coffee, and being on only 4mg. pred! Good for you.