PDA

View Full Version : HI - I'm Stormi...Newly diagnosed...new to the forum!

Stormi
03-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Hi there! I wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

My name is Stormi...yes, it's my real name ;) Was torture as a kid, but actually love it now. I am 36 years old and have always been a pretty healthy person until the past couple years.

I was just diagnosed with Weg's 2 weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time online reading about it. Here is a quick recap of my story leading to the diagnosis...

On June 9th of 2011 I woke up with shoulder pain for no reason at all. It was first diagnosed as a "strain" - maybe I slept on it wrong...dr's sent me home with a sling and some pain killers. Everything went down hill from there. For the next year I was in extreme joint pain that seemed to travel all over my body and make no sense at all. Shoulders, knees, fingers, elbows - everywhere. I am a pretty healthy girl - active & never really experienced any body pains like this in my life. After exhaustive tests with doctors, we ruled out that I dont have any life threatening diseases (they tested me for everything!) the Dr's finally sent me to a rheumatologist who declared that I have RA and put me on Humira. That didnt help at all.

During the past 6 months, I started to experience other symptoms...weird red dots on my feet, swelling, coughing up blood (a lot of blood) and nausea. I have always had allergies but my sinuses were BAD and now I couldn't breathe well. All of this is happening while I travel each month for a week for work all over the US. So, my health was starting to affect my ability to travel for work -- which is not OK.

So, two weeks ago I was in Miami on business and thought what I had was an awful cold. I was hacking, coughing up blood - sick as a dog. Then, towards the end of the Miami leg of my trip my joints started to flare up...and I still had to travel to Los Angeles for work for another 5 days. Halfway through my LA trip I threw in the towel and hopped a red eye back to Raleigh and went straight to the emergency room where they admitted me immediately. Within a couple hours of being in the hospital the diagnosis was made: Wegeners.

They did a lung biopsy on me while there - and I had the pleasure of getting a chest tube (can you say being stabbed in the lungs and the recovery on this is a pain in the ARSE!) They also checked my kidneys, which came back clear...thanks goodness!

I was in the hospital for 8 days. During this time, I was given prednisone & my first round of Retuximab. I am home now and going to have my first round of out patient Retuximab this week. They want me to do a total of 4 rounds of the chemo AND I am on 40 mg of prednisone right now, along with a bunch of other vitamins and some pain meds.

That's my story so far....scared & nervous about this whole thing. I dont know what to expect. From reading everyone's post and experiences, it seems like Weg's has come a long way in terms of remission and dealing with it. I feel fortunate that I got to the hospital when I did and hope that I caught it in time to make a full remission & lead a normal life. BUt is that possible with Wegs? Can one live a normal life now?

I think the Retuximab is taking its toll on me also. VERY TIRED & just feeling beat down.

I hope that by getting on this forum I can learn from each of you...but also have a place to make some friends to share this journey with. I am definitely feeling scared, sad and overwhelmed at times...so extending an open invite to anyone to reach out and give some love...I'm feeling more human than ever these days.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...hope its not too much info but it felt pretty good to write it all out. ha!

Well wishes to each of you,

Stormi

Dirty Don
03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Welcome to 'the society' Stormi! Well, no card carrying members...but, hey...we're a close knit online family: we do it all...help, care, have info, have experiences...heck, we even bicker once in a while...aside from the WG, we're all pretty normal!! LOL! Glad you found us! Lots of info here...some medical, lots of experience, etc. As for your WG, sorry you had to go thru that...similar to mine in that I didn't know why I was tired, coughing blood, welts, and roving joint pain. Like you, I have no kidney involvement, so we're 'Wegs Lite' as it were. Sounds like your docs have a grip on it. As for expecting what's to come...it seems to vary for most of us. But do follow your docs' orders/treatment to the T, I hope you have access to WG experienced docs or at least consultation with experienced docs. How close are you to Johns Hopkins? Cleveland Clinic? Mayo (JAX)? As for feeling tired...part of that is the drugs, part is the WG...I'm a year and a half down the road and still pretty much poop out around 3PM each day...and I'm active in golf & working out. As your infusions take hold, you will feel better, but you need to be aware always...infections are a real pain, even if you're in medical remission. Best of luck...ask questions on here AND to your docs...never take their silence sitting down...well, OK, just don't take what they give you...ask...each and every time.

Meredith
03-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi Stormi - I live in Charlotte, visit Raleigh often. It is very scary when you first learn about this but I am here to tell you that you can live a somewhat normal life. I have no kidney/lung involvement and have had Wegeners for about 8 years. I have been thru 2 rounds of Rituxan treatments. First one I had 4 rounds and the 2nd time only two. Never felt sick after the treatments except maybe tired, did notice I bruised easily the first time around. I work full time, even went to India for work in March. I am on 5mgs of preds, also on some inflation medicine which I can't remember the name of right now. Yes I get tired of all the doctor visits but I think they are critical to keep you feeling well. Having trust and relationship with your doctor is important. I see Dr. Laster here, and Dr. Blumer at Charlotte Eye Ear Nose and Throat who I have to see for my throat (it has to be stretched every couple of years). Both are wonderful. Oh and I am going on a cruise in May -

chrisTIn@
03-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, Stormi!
I don't know much about Rituximab, but there are a few peolpe here who do.
I think you can find lots of answers here by using the 'search' function.

Good luck! With the right treatment you won't feel so exhausted anymore, but how long that's gonna take differs from person to person.
It's a good thing you chose to go to the ER and got diagnosed!

Marci
03-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Hi Storm, Glad you found this forum and welcome. I'm new here to and because of the great advice I have received here I now will be going to the Cleveland for my first appointment next week. I have learned some much on this site and my gut feeling is that they saved my life.
Sounds like you've been through it but are now on the right track. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

pberggren1
03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Totally understandable you are scared and nervous about all of this. This will be a major learning curve for you. You will be able to get lots of support and knowledge from this group.

It is good to hear that you are being treated with Rituximab instead of Cyclophosphamide. And to be clear, rtx (Rituximab), is not a chemo classed drug. It is a chimeric monoclonal antibody.

What is the name of your Wegs doc? I see you are close to some really good ones.

Debbie C
03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi Stormi (like yr name ) sorry u had to find this site but you will be glad you did. You will be able to get alot of yr questions answered and hopefully alot of yr fears won't be so bad. No doubt this is a terrible and scary disease and you never know what to expect but over time once the meds are decreased things will get better. Prednisone is the worst I think. Good luck and keep us posted and make sure you get good drs. that know about wg....sounds like you already do though.

annekat
03-05-2013, 03:24 PM
A warm welcome, Stormi. You have really had a time of it. Everyone's Wegs history is a little different. Yes, it is possible to go into at least a medicated remission, and even a drug-free one, for quite awhile, if not indefinitely, and lead a fairly normal life. You seem to be younger than a lot of us and I hope that bodes well for your body's ability to handle the treatments and bounce back from all this. Even many of us who are older are doing pretty well. We are thankful for the immunosuppressants that make it possible for us to survive this disease. I'm sorry you get so fatigued after RTX (I haven't had it), but hope it is worth it in the long run.

And yes, you have come to the right place for love and friendship, as well! I cannot imagine a more caring and supportive group of people. We also share non-Wegs-related things about our lives and various humorous items as well, so please join in with all of that!

marylz
03-05-2013, 04:06 PM
I want to welcome you,too, Stormi. I am also newly diagnosed-Feb 2013. Was in hospital for a little over a month and was/am pretty scared of this whole thing. I have found caring support on this forum and am so glad I found it. It is nice to hear the "human side" of this disease rather than all the"facts" you can find on the internet! It has made me feel not so alone.
Mary

annekat
03-05-2013, 04:46 PM
I want to welcome you,too, Stormi. I am also newly diagnosed-Feb 2013. Was in hospital for a little over a month and was/am pretty scared of this whole thing. I have found caring support on this forum and am so glad I found it. It is nice to hear the "human side" of this disease rather than all the"facts" you can find on the internet! It has made me feel not so alone.
Mary Yes, and the "facts" you find on the internet can be outdated, incomplete, misleading, etc. To me, here on this forum is the very best place to get information about Wegener's and its treatments.

Psyborg
03-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Welcome to the forum Stormi. You should definitely consider taking it easier with the work schedule for a while. If your work is stressful it will make it harder to get well. Honestly, it's pretty amazing you could work through the symptoms you listed. You must be pretty darn tough :)

Stormi
03-06-2013, 02:33 AM
I want to thank EVERYONE for the warm reception and kind words! I am finding myself drawn to logging into the forum and checking it often...its quickly becoming more popular than my Facebook and Instrgram addiction! YAY!

Seriously though...thanks and looking forward to getting to know many of you and your stories better.

Storm x

Alysia
03-06-2013, 04:22 AM
Hi stormy,

Im also new in this forum, I wish I would have found it before. the people here are so warm and kind and know so much. I told my husband that I found the best WG doc in the world = this forum.
It give me confidence to know that I can ask any question and get answers.

I live with WG since 2008. I have normal life, 3 children and 6 days working. WG forced me to do some changes in my life. some are good ones. I changed my place of working, closer to my house, I started walking every day and eat only health food, I went back to my old psychologist (a great help) and I got more help in the house.

I also feel sad, scared, sometimes helpless or desperate, sometimes begging to GOD. so I know very well, from the inside of me, what you are going through. not alone anymore since I came here...
sending you big warm hug :hug2:

pberggren1
03-06-2013, 04:53 AM
What is your facebook name Stormi?

mishb
03-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Welcome Stormi.
I'm so glad you came here.......you know that you can pop on here any time of the day or night and someone will be on and may be able to answer a question or two. We come from all over the World so different time zones help.

These lovely, knowlegeable, people saved me and helped me become stress free.
I guess I no longer became afraid of the conditions that they tagged me, with and was able to accept them.
My doctor thinks it's fantastic that we have somewhere to come together where everyone knows exactly what you mean.

I hope your next lot of RTX starts to get things more under control and you start feeling a little better.

Take it easy and remember to always ........

Jaha
03-07-2013, 05:48 AM
Love your name! Glad you found us so soon. I think that you have been thru the ringer,but will come out of it quite quickly.
The fact that they hit it hard with the rtx from the start is a very good thing. I really wish that they had done that with me from the start Sept 2010. I have been on all the txs,so far no remission. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Jana