PDA

View Full Version : Headaches and masks?

marylz
03-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering does anyone else have a constant headache? I have since a week before I was admitted to the hospital when I was diagnosed last month. I think it is sinus related but they did a ct scan last week and there is no significant involvement besides being dry. They gave me tylenol in the hospital but I don't want to take too much of it since it isn't good for your liver. I can't take anything else due to bleeding issues?

Also wondering how long you have to wear a mask in public after cytoxan treatments? My hubby wants me to all the time, but I feel very foolish and uncomfortable doing so. My doc said my immune system would be the most suppressed 2 weeks after the treatment. Actuallly I was the most suppressed the day or 2 after when my neutrophils(?) were down to.98%. I go back to the doc on Weds and will ask, but thought you all might know.
Thanks.
Mary

carriej22
03-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Some people wear masks, I probably should and I do at work sometimes; but I feel like a moron too. I know it's hard for people to understand sometimes but when you wear a mask in public people automatically assume you have something contagious and it is embarrassing; but it is probably beneficial to wear a mask.

I had treatment in June.. I wasn't sick all along until this Christmas; got struck down three times over two months. However there is way less germs and baddies that can get you during summer months.

What other medication are you on? MTX and Imuran both gave me monster headaches.

drz
03-03-2013, 06:39 AM
My lab work told me when I was most at risk. But I only wore masks a few times in high risk situations. One benefit of wearing a mask is that people tend to stay away from you and avoid getting too close which really helps reduce your risk on catching something. I did avoid contact with other people when my WBC was real low and washed hands constantly and still do very often. Like others have said we are more apt to die from an infection than damage from the Wegs.

annekat
03-03-2013, 06:41 AM
I've had some bouts with constant headaches, but mainly at the beginning of my real Wegs problems and more recently when I was sliding into a flare. I attribute it partly to dryness, winter weather, not enough water consumption, etc. But I did find it annoying that when mentioning it to docs, they pretty much ignored it. I took things I wasn't supposed to take, such as Naproxen, Ibuprofen, and aspirin, sort of alternating them, and only when it got really bad. They would only let me have Tylenol in the hospital, and that was OK. I never really took a lot of any of these things during any period of time.

The whole time I've had Wegs I've never worn a mask, except to avoid inhaling certain dusts, not because of being around people. I've been on CTX and MTX and in an outdoor public place alot. I've only caught one minor cold, and that was after going off CTX and onto MTX. That did lead to a minor flare, which I'm now coming out of. In public, and when handling money or touching people's hands, doorknobs, etc., I always carry hand sanitizer with me and try to remember to use it, and wash my hands whenever possible.

marylz
03-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Just the 1 treatment of cytoxan and 40mg prednisone and bactrim and various supplements. As I stated before, this is all new to me.

mishb
03-03-2013, 04:24 PM
I only wore a mask on the plane for my holidays.

I catch a train to and from work each weekday and I wear a scarf.
It is a lot easier during winter to wear the scarf and I just strategically place it around my mouth and nose, as if I am really cold. Nobody cares one bit.
It is a lot harder doing that during Summer when it's 40c plus.

So instead of the mask, try the scarf - just make sure to wash it every few days to keep it germ free.

marylz
03-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Great idea! Thanks Michelle.

Psyborg
03-05-2013, 01:34 AM
I've been told to wear masks, and honestly I never done so. I'm positive they are of benefit in some situations, but I'm probably more self conscious than I should be about people looking at me.

Jaha
03-07-2013, 05:58 AM
I wear masks to the doctors offices and in public places. I don't touch doorknobs or counters, I carry my own pen. I can truly say that I have become a germafobe. People do stare and sometimes ask me why I wear one and I reply that "it is for my protection not yours".
Jana