PDA

View Full Version : joints - red and aching

Alysia
03-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Hi,
In the few days I'm here I learned so much, thank you For the information and for the emotional support
:cool1:
I think of the proportions: some of you are going to a clinic with 700 wegies ! Wow ! Even 35 is a lot. Most of the doctors I met never saw any wegee before. My WG doc saw some, I didn’t dare to ask him how many…
I want to ask about joints – red and aching. When it is happening, like this week, my doc told me to take more pred for a couple of days. There are some options: 60-40-30-20-10-5 for 5 days, or 20 for 3 or 5 days then 10 and then back to my usual 5 mg. I would like to ask if this is the right way ? other ways ? maybe something is missing in my treatment ? How can you tell if a treatment is enough ? If it fits' is that’s mean having no symptoms ?
In addition to pred I take MTX 2.5 mg a day, six days a week.
I don’t like to take too much pred, although it bring grate relief, because of the 'cocker spaniel' face it cause… and not to mention hair loss because of MTX… :sad:important issues for girls…
Alysia

Dirty Don
03-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Taking more pred is not a bad thing if you're flaring and it sounds as if you are. But that's what it's for...to reduce inflammation. The only option for a pred uptake then reduction I've seen on here is the first option: hit it hard then reduce over a 5-7 day period. I still don't like the mtx dosage as it's supposed to be taken in one large dose once a week to be more effective...at least that's what my rheumy told me. I do split the dose on the day of taking it into half about 12 hours apart as I was becoming nauseous for a couple of days afterwards...the halving it has helped immensely. Also, as to hair loss, either endure it (the hair will come back eventually!) or your doc should be adding folic acid, and if you're already on it, then increase it. I lost a bit of hair (guys don't like it either!!), doc upped my dose of folic acid and the hair loss stopped in 2 weeks, I even grew back 'curly' hair for a while and I've never had curls in my life!!!! Wife thought it was cute...sheesh! Best of luck!

Alysia
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Hi Don,
thank you. I take MTX in small doses in order not to vommit it. as for hair loss, for couple of mounth I was searching what to do: so I am taking not only folic acid but also Avazinc and multi-vitamin ("roots" ot "stronghair") and I found special Shampoo.
Nice that your "new" hair bring compliments from your wife. there are some benefits in WG :smile1:
Alysia

annekat
03-03-2013, 04:37 AM
I'll just BET you looked cute with curly hair, Don! I keep hoping mine will grow back with real curls instead of just frizz, or else just straighter and smoother. I do think since switching from CTX to MTX, I have noticed some thickening, and I do take folic acid.