PDA

View Full Version : Controlling the pain

Meredith
02-14-2013, 07:19 AM
probably out of remission see the doctor tomorrow. pain in my upper right back. have used Aleve today which seems to help some but not completely. Does anyone recommend something else to help me tilll tomorrow. Heating pad?

pberggren1
02-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Chiropractor. I would not want to live without mine.

aewaustin
02-15-2013, 08:02 AM
+1 for Chiropractor, but I have found that I need to alternate with a massage therapist. The massages are not the nice relaxing type, but the kind that really get out knots in the muscle. Has helped greatly for a pain in my right lower back that I took all kinds of pills for and at the end of the day one massage mostly sorted it out. Kicked myself after.

pberggren1
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Be careful about getting deep tissue massage if you have had more than a year of oral ctx. It can build up in tissue over time and be released into the blood strem by the massages and can be fatal.

drz
02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Be careful about getting deep tissue massage if you have had more than a year of oral ctx. It can build up in tissue over time and be released into the blood strem by the massages and can be fatal.

Phil
I have asked several massage people and doctors about this and they say it is a myth as these drugs have a short half life and would be inert in a short time, sort like my insulin. It can build up in my body some times, but becomes inert in a few hours. Some drugs will last longer or create some side effects that may linger longer but none of the above sources say they have ever heard of any such thing happening or any danger from massages other than risk of tearing skin or damage to tendons while on higher doses of prednisone and some other meds. Our bones can also become more fragile too which could create also create some higher risk for some chiropractic treatments or some real extremely violent type of massage. Poor circulation can also create some risks if they use devices to heat your body. I know some people with diabetes lost their feet from such treatment. That is why they have signs at motel hot tubs warning against its use for people with heart problems, diabetes, etc.

The closest thing they know of that could happen from having a massage is having repressed emotions (usually stored up grief) released which can some times happen and be a very strong unsettling event.

How you doing now?

pberggren1
02-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I think I will do for a massage then. Thanks drz. I'm doing much better now that I got some rtx in me.

Sangye
02-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Phil
I have asked several massage people and doctors about this and they say it is a myth as these drugs have a short half life and would be inert in a short time, sort like my insulin. It can build up in my body some times, but becomes inert in a few hours. Some drugs will last longer or create some side effects that may linger longer but none of the above sources say they have ever heard of any such thing happening or any danger from massages other than risk of tearing skin or damage to tendons while on higher doses of prednisone and some other meds.

It isn't a myth. The Gerson Therapy, one of the oldest and most powerful holistic cures (yes cure) for cancer warns against deep tissue massage for anyone who's had chemo until they've been thoroughly detoxed. As patients are treated with the Gerson therapy they do experience a great deal of discomfort, nausea and other symptoms due to the chemo being detoxed. It must be done under a physician's supervision. Sometimes patients who have received certain types of chemo or have had a lot of it might not be able to do the therapy at all since it would kill them.

I wouldn't expect an MD to understand this unless s/he has been trained in holistic detoxification therapies. They don't even believe detoxes are necessary or effective. I can tell you from my own experiences that old chemicals do in fact remain in the body. I have done detoxes (pre-Wegs) where I could taste and smell the chemicals I had been exposed to.

Sangye
02-18-2013, 02:46 PM
To your question, Meredith: Upper right back pain might be a rib out of place or it could be referred pain from an unhappy gallbladder. A chiropractor can assess it and figure out which it is. If it's a rib, the adjustment is easy and brings instant relief.

drz
02-18-2013, 05:44 PM
The Gerson Therapy, one of the oldest and most powerful holistic cures (yes cure) for cancer warns against deep tissue massage for anyone who's had chemo until they've been thoroughly detoxed. As patients are treated with the Gerson therapy they do experience a great deal of discomfort, nausea and other symptoms due to the chemo being detoxed. It must be done under a physician's supervision. Sometimes patients who have received certain types of chemo or have had a lot of it might not be able to do the therapy at all since it would kill them.

I wouldn't expect an MD to understand this unless s/he has been trained in holistic detoxification therapies. They don't even believe detoxes are necessary or effective. I can tell you from my own experiences that old chemicals do in fact remain in the body. I have done detoxes (pre-Wegs) where I could taste and smell the chemicals I had been exposed to.

I know several people who have been rendered cancer free by medical treatment at local cancer center and also Mayo Clinic. I have never heard of anyone cured of cancer by Gerson method and the organizations like American Cancer society say the same:
See wikipedia link on Gerson Therapy.

Max Gerson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Gerson)

His warning against massage therapy is probably as a valid as his recommendation to eat raw calf liver which made several people sick. You are right thought that the physicians who prescribed the drugs, the biochemists who developed them and the pharmacists who mix them up all agree that they don't believe detoxes are necessary or effective (They view Gerson's statements as ridiculous.) so until there is some valid scientific evidence they are wrong I think it is most prudent to follow their recommendation if we have a disease like Wegs or cancer. Such treatments also may be more effective according to some of them when you have faith in the doctors and their prescribed treatment. I agree from what I read that the Gerson therapy might be dangerous and cause of many deaths in people treated by it so I think we should continue to encourage people to seek out treatment from the known Weg experts and heed their advice and recommendations.

Sangye, you have said earlier your attempts to treat your Wegs with holistic methods almost did you in, didn't it? Maybe it is keeping you from the benefits from massage therapy which is also regarded as a holistic healing art. I have enjoyed my massages during and after treatment with CTX with no unpleasant side effects. They did have to be careful not to tear my skin or damage any tendons though because of pred meds and some antibiotics too.

Best wishes for good health and good treatment for everyone. Get the best care you can get and hope for success.

aewaustin
02-19-2013, 02:35 AM
Just for the record I have done quite a bit of deep tissue massage after chemo and never had anything other than the normal side effects for what it is worth, normal *deep* massage is painful for anyone, but it is great for the muscles after. There is so much information out there and it is hard to know what to believe. But I totally agree with DRZ's statement above.

Right now I have paid my dues with Wegs treatments of RTX and CTX and am in remission). No I am going 100% towards holistic where I can to fix what my Wegs doctors can't (energy level and neuropathy), and am KICKING myself for not doing it sooner. The neurologist actually pointed me to Gluten being the culprit and she is totally on board with the holistic doc. Because of the drugs our guts are totally screwed up (generally) and they need to get fixed. I think Marta is also getting to the same place that I am although we have not chatted lately. Gluten free is a big thing for me as well as accupuncture. I was never one for alternative ways, but I desperately want to get to where I was health wise before this round. My friend has gotten off all of her drugs for her Thyroid issues after trying this holistic doctor that I am going to, and I am starting to feel better too after just a few weeks. Eat right for your diet type is also an interesting way of eating, it is not really proven, but it makes sense for me and when I eat what I am not supposed to I get an upset tummy.

We need to be educated, but also not scared to live, and I think this is key. You only get one life and today is one of the days in your life, make it count because you won't get it back. Now I am going to go to work out, today is easy, nothing like the 3 1/2 bike I did the other day in which I really got my heartrate up and I did not drop dead or injure myself, and it made me feel great btw.